• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summary of today's Nintendo meeting

Duderz

Banned
Not for Wave Race GC, or Metroid.

Well, I'll admit Metroid is stretching, but still.

Just playing devil's advocate. ;)

Polari

Matt said:
And I still maintain that it is real time. When was the last time Nintendo tried to present CG as real time graphics? I honestly can’t think of it.

Erm, Spaceworld 2000 (2001?) when they were hyping up the Gamecube.

Polari

Don't get me wrong here, I really do hope it is real-time, because it looks simply stunning and beyond what I was expecting from Wii in terms of graphics. It's especially impressive when you consider that it's a first-generation title.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I'm a bit sceptical but I leaning towards it being realtime because of small things like the lack of character reflections. Plus, while it looks pretty good for realtime graphics I think a CG trailer would look a whole lot better.

Furoba

I wonder if Wii music (orchestral game) will enable to option to use cd music (like Vib Ribbon). It would certainly expand the appeal of the title. Same for the use of your own face in certain Wii games, or the use of custom avatars/music with the preferences stored in your controller (profile).

cvxfreak

Polari said:
Don't get me wrong here, I really do hope it is real-time, because it looks simply stunning and beyond what I was expecting from Wii in terms of graphics. It's especially impressive when you consider that it's a first-generation title.

It's possible. I mean, we did get Rogue Leader, DOA3 and Soul Calibur, which were impressive. I'd make an argument for Super Mario 64 as well.

I think it's because we're not used to seeing such good looking Pokemon that people are surprised. I really do think the Wii can handle these kinds of visuals, especially since the areas are small and there's little going on in the screen at once.

Neomoto

I don't think it's CG. I mean, it's look good but THAT good ? No. If they would do a CG movie they would have done something that's a little over the top perhaps. For example, pikachu running around with an far larger battlefield with real grass and stones and what not. And perform a giant electric shock after that in stead of a "standing movement" waiting for the "player" to select an attack and them perform an "ok" (not impressive) electric shock. And it's of course just a small arena where there are 6 models (4 pokemon and 2 trainers). That and that Nintendo doesn't show much CG movies (if they already do), makes me think that it's realtime.The models and lightening makes it looks great though. That and the collision of course. Damn! I never had any interessest in the Colloseum and Battlestadium games but this has definitely my interest :) Can't wait to play this online and connect with Diamond/Pearl.

Hell yeah, I had no idea why this thread was bumped.

Holy shit that was awesome. I am calling real-time, but damn even I have I doubts.

KINGMOKU

Does anyone have the inside word on when we will start getting more Wii news, and screenies? I mean what the hell is Nintendo waiting for?

No word on Resident Evil, no word on anything else for that matter. WTF? Are they waiting for next E3 or something?

Furoba

moku said:
Does anyone have the inside word on when we will start getting more Wii news, and screenies? I mean what the hell is Nintendo waiting for?

No word on Resident Evil, no word on anything else for that matter. WTF? Are they waiting for next E3 or something?

TGS.

Neomoto

moku said:

Wii whas just a viral marketing stunt, created by the minds of Nintendo in favor of holding momentum. There is no Wii, nor "Revolution". Instead there is Nintendo ON. But someone blew it with releasing the video of it before e3, so "welcome plan b" (Revolution). It's not ready yet - Nintendo ON that is - all the games we saw do exist though, but you saw the "simple version" of it. With Nintendo ON you will play those games in Virtual Reality, but with the controllers of the "Wii" for replacement of body movement. Sony knows this (or atleast they know some of it), that's why the are using tiltsensors all of the sudden and keep saying "4-D" to counter Nintendo's virtaul reality sellingpoint.

That, or they are waiting for the next big event where they can showcase more 1st party software. I mean, they JUST reveiled Pokemon Wii. This is the period of interview on interview on interview.. a few games by minor 3rd party and Nintendo teasing with (aspects) of "new information". I don't know about the big 3rd party's though. We saw some media of Call of Duty 3 and such but nothing big (well, maybe Rockstars Wii sport(s) titles). Maybe some of those 3rd party's also are keeping shut to the next event, so that Wii (and 3rd party's) will have a strong showing. Again.

I don't really think it's Nintendo's style to fake graphics (This is the same company that released those god awful SMS screenshots). You can say they did it last time with the GC but they were clearly CGI "target renders" using cinematic unpractical camera angles (watch the Zelda one - did anyone really expect that sort of thing?) for effect & hype. There's more chance of the video being real time graphics especially with the appropriate camer angles, HUB, etc than there is of it being fake/cgi.

ziran

moku said:

i don't expect wii to suddenly have ps3 graphical ability, but, i do think nintendo is planning a more graphics centred unveiling later in the year where we'll see improved visuals from many wii games.

- reggie saying e3 06 was all about 'the right side of the brain, experience and feel'
- ati's comments about 'seeing the tip of the iceberg from wii at e3'
- tezuka suggesting an in-game clip from fire emblem was shown in the e3 wii trailer
- pokemon battle revolution looking very impressive
- mario galaxy looking so nice
- smash bros brawl and rayman rr pics/movie looking good
- square-enix not showing ffcc, yet it's due for release before march 07

i think nintendo has deliberately not shown wii visuals in their best light at e3, so the entire focus would be on the controls and a new way to play. they even downplayed twilight princess. no in game shots (until weeks later) from what is an incredibly beautiful game and a short low quality trailer. in fact nintendo gave more attention to visuals e3 05.

edit - as i said, wii won't be as powerful as ps3/360, but i think the final hardware will be capable of clearly better graphics than gamecube.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Stop the madness. The video it's clearly In-game graphics. Look at the close up textures, at the end of the stage jaggies.

The models aren't so complex. They're pretty simple models, pretty simple and with just one skin. No fur shading and so on Easy. Ok, looks amazing, but it's because of the great lightning that surprised everyone with Super Mario Galaxy and the fantástic camera and animation.

tanasten

ziran said:
i don't expect wii to suddenly have ps3 graphical ability, but, i do think nintendo is planning a more graphics centred unveiling later in the year where we'll see improved visuals from many wii games.

- reggie saying e3 06 was all about 'the right side of the brain, experience and feel'
- tezuka suggesting an in-game clip from fire emblem was shown in the e3 wii trailer

i think nintendo has deliberately not shown wii visuals in their best light at e3, so the entire focus would be on the controls and a new way to play. they even downplayed twilight princess. no in game shots (until weeks later) from what is an incredibly beautiful game and a short low quality trailer. in fact nintendo gave more attention to visuals e3 05.

edit - as i said, wii won't be as powerful as ps3/360, but i think the final hardware will be capable of clearly better graphics than gamecube.

¿What said Tezuka about Fire Emblem?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
ziran said:

What? What? WHAT?!
when did he say that?

ziran said:
Link plz. This sounds really weird. I can sort of kind of maybe see the first 3 seconds of FE Wii footage shown at E3 sort of kind of maybe be in-game footage.

tanasten

If Path of Radiance sequel has that graphics in real time.. that would be definitivo. O no, can't be real.

Edit: Checked the short vid more than 30 times. There's no way a underpowered Wii could do those graphics.

Also, can't be real time graphics because the animation on-going doesn't mach the gameplay system (two enemies ataking at once and Sothe beating one before matching the second one.

Rare it's but, that the darky scene looks with a lightning system close to the one on Super Mario Galaxy and Pokémon Battle Revolution. (with the outer scene looking a lot more like the cinemas on Path of Radiance).

Anyway, can't be real time. Those graphics are extremely definitive.

Edit 2: However, can't wait for it!

Jonnyram said:
It's funny how inferior people believe the Wii is.
Quite a few people have been saying the hardware was beefed up since the original dev kits were sent out, yet everyone still assumes it's just a turbo-powered GC.
When have we heard anything indicating it isn't a turb-powered GCN + wifi and such?

Ranger X

Wait a second...

Main DS-Wii connectivity will be:
- touch-screen controller
- Wii = DS station, like the shop kiosks
- DS games can be expanded via Wii

Does that mean i'm gonna be able to display my DS on my TV tks to the Wii?
Holy shit this would consolidate a Wii at launch for me even more!!

Neomoto

Mr. Pointy said:
Link plz. This sounds really weird. I can sort of kind of maybe see the first 3 seconds of FE Wii footage shown at E3 sort of kind of maybe be in-game footage.
I believe that was what the man said, not that the "full trailer" whas ingame (or maybe I missed something?), but the beginning. Remember reading that somewhere, don't know when or where though

tanasten

Neomoto said:
I believe that was what the man said, not that the "full trailer" whas ingame (or maybe I missed something?), but the beginning. Remember reading that somewhere, don't know when or where though

It's clear that the second scene it's part of Full Motion video, however, the first scene it's an amazing battle with 4th people perfectly modeled and skinned, with an amazing animation. The lightning looks diferent from the second scene thought, but could be because of the environmental lightning of course.

Also, if it's in-game graphics... that doesn't explain why the action it's diferent than the style of the series. Could be a promo animation with in-game graphics, yes, but then... if they're doing a classic FE game then Wii would have and amazing power to do great graphics, close to those show for X360 and PS3.

Jiggy

Sgt. Killjoy said:
pokemon-xd-gale-of-darkness-20050815095412128.jpg

you sure about that?
I meant the battle graphics x 1.5.
And incidentally, the town in that picture looks a lot prettier from the usual overhead angle.

But I honestly don't get why everyone's suddenly in doubt that the Battle Revolution video is real-time. I'm a devout Pokemon fan, but look at XD. (Although this particular video doesn't show an attack until halfway through.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjcTc_i5YRs

By comparison, they basically just made the Pokemon models and ground textures shinier and smoother and made the backgrounds more complicated. The only aspects of the graphics that significantly improved are the trainer models and the destructible environments, and everyone goes nuts over it. And it's not even like they hadn't already done destructible environments with Earthquake in Colosseum and XD--it's just that the ground healed itself back then. (And for all we know it might still heal itself, since we don't see very far past that attack.)

Moreover, Pokemon uses a turn-based battle system, so it's almost like they're not real-time anyway. It's not like you're aiming your own Hyper Beam and controlling exactly where you want to knock over boxes and put a hole in the wall and so on; you just pick an option and the game aims it for you. Presumably similar to how ASH can do prerendered battles on the DS.

So, yeah. One of two things is probably true: everyone likes shiny models and round edges a bit too much, or I've just proven why I'm not a techie or graphics whore since I'm not seeing how this is such a technical achievement.

ziran

tanasten said:
¿What said Tezuka about Fire Emblem?
KimiSan said:
What? What? WHAT?!
when did he say that?
Mr. Pointy said:
it was a slightly ambiguous quote, but was pretty specific and followed by some unreported/untranslated talk:
http://www.planetgamecube.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=11592
...PGC: Intelligent Systems is also working on a Fire Emblem game for the Wii. Is that still at the planning stages?

TO: You saw part of it, it's in the video. There's a little stage there, so…

(Mr. Tezuka speaks)

TO: He has no further comment.

PGC: I think we're pretty much out of time.

TO: Yeah, right on time. Thank you very much...
t.o. is tim o' leary from noa, iirc he's part of nintendo treehouse and translates the fire emblem games, so if anyone has played the wii version outside of ncl, he has. i'd even go as so far to say fire emblem wii will be localised and released before next e3, given nintendo usually shows off games to be released within a year at e3.

there was a thread about this interview a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom