• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summary of today's Nintendo meeting

ziran

Wrestlemania said:
You've all missed the most exciting bit of news from that video. If you play the DS version near your Wii while Battle Revolution is on, the TV will show your battles in real time as you play through the game. That's incredible.
seriously?

great if true.

Neomoto

That is very cool indeed.

IGN is also reporting the connectivity between the DS and Wii versions:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/711/711658p1.html

Iwata gave one clear example for the second area of the service, announcing Pokemon Battle Revolution for the Wii in the process. This title will link up with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. You start off by inserting the Pearl or Diamond cartridge into your DS and Pokemon Battle Revolution into your Wii. The DS then acts as a controller as your Diamond and Pearl Pokemon battle it out on the screen in 3D. You will have a full set of battle options when fighting this way, including player versus player, player versus CPU and WiFi!

Pokemon Battle Revolution is being developed as the first Connectivity title between the DS and Wii. It will be released to Japan after Diamond and Pearl, but before the end of 2006. Diamond and Pearl are set for Japanese release this Fall.
The "connectivity-thing" actually have a high change for a succes this time I believe, and it sounds better and better with every new information about it :)

wrestlemania said:
You've all missed the most exciting bit of news from that video. If you play the DS version near your Wii while Battle Revolution is on, the TV will show your battles in real time as you play through the game. That's incredible.

Holy crap, 5 pages back I said it before the detail was even shown, and then I called myself dumb because I wasn't sure it made sense, but :lol :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3569729&postcount=199

Neomoto

Well, you already have Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Pokemon Battle Revolution (w/ connection with DS versions) early in the launchwindow for their pokemon fix :)

Rocked

I said "WOW"

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Wii Internet browser could be used more than we thought if people can type text with their DS. Nintendo will have a lot of ideas to push connectivity this time. Wifi makes it so easy.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
With DS Lite coming out this Sunday, my need for the Wii60 is growing. Any word on reserving for launch day?

EDIT: I saw Resident Evil 4 at Target for 19.99. I (puts on flame suit) have not played it yet. Is backwards compatibility with GC 100% confirmed?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
DenogginizerOS said:
With DS Lite coming out this Sunday, my need for the Wii60 is growing. Any word on reserving for launch day?

EDIT: I saw Resident Evil 4 at Target for 19.99. I (puts on flame suit) have not played it yet. Is backwards compatibility with GC 100% confirmed?

Yes, buy it!

Saoh

marc^o^ said:
The Wii Internet browser could be used more than we thought if people can type text with their DS. Nintendo will have a lot of ideas to push connectivity this time. Wifi makes it so easy.

not everyone will get a DS. i never bought a GBA but i will get a DS.

anyway, my guess is that they´ll use a on-screen keyboard for the WII

Rocked

Saoh said:
not everyone will get a DS. i never bought a GBA but i will get a DS.

anyway, my guess is that they´ll use a on-screen keyboard for the WII

They should just bring out a keyboard like the Dreamcast one. Maybe it could even attach to the Wiimote. :p

Matt_C

Polari said:
:/

I don't like the sound of "Battle Revolution".

Would you like it if it is called Pocket Monsters Battle Wii instead?:lol

Seriously, this game MUST have an online battle/trading mode FTW.

Wrestlemania said:
Cool. That's something I've wished would be implemented as far back as Pokémon Stadium, though my vision was a bit more grandiose. I also imagined it'd be neat if it would read the tile data from whichever GB game was plugged in, and would display it on screen as a higher color version, or even in 3D. That way it'd be liked a full console equivalent of a handheld Pokémon game, but really just be whichever handheld game you had in a new shell.

Wrestlemania said:

HOLY ****ING CRAP.
HOLY ****ING CRAP.
HOLY ****ING CRAP.
HOLY ****ING CRAP.
HOLY ****ING CRAP.

Oh god I'm such a pokewhore. :(

Emotions

Wrestlemania said:

That is awesome, really really awesome. This connectivity thing will pick up more now since there is no need of an extra cable to play, all will be wireless, people will be more interested in it. The way the GBA connectivity should have been.

Jiggy

Emotions said:
I liked them too, but i wish they would have been longer and being able to catch wild pokemon appart from the Shadow Pokemon thing. The music was really catchy in the games.
Yeah, if nothing else, I think everyone should at least admit the music in Colo and XD was great. I'd love to see some if not all of it brought into the portable games somehow.

Wrestlemania said:
FANTASTIC. :eek:

And now I take back what I said earlier. I'll pay $50 for it first day, no price drop needed.

Furoba

The overal DS - Wii connectivity is quite quintessential in Nintendo's current strategy. Nintendo is a monster on the handheld front, but it is several times smaller on the console front.
So if they can manage to transplant parts of the DS's success (using Wii to broadcast DS demo's, DS - Wii connectivity, perhaps some sort of limited Virtual Console), they'll do considerably better.
Of course, what Nintendo is aiming at, is the same effect on the console market with Wii, as DS had on the handheld market (especially in the home market Japan).

unifin

Well, some Japanese-speaking posters over at IGN say that Iwata says that scene was real-time... but I trust the Japanese GAFers a little bit more...

Can any of you JPGAFers translate what Iwata is saying?

Jiggy

unifin said:
Well, some Japanese-speaking posters over at IGN say that Iwata says that scene was real-time... but I trust the Japanese GAFers a little bit more...

Can any of you JPGAFers translate what Iwata is saying?
Why wouldn't you believe it's real-time? It's pretty much XD graphics * 1.5, which is what was expected all along...

Jiggy37 said:
Why wouldn't you believe it's real-time? It's pretty much XD graphics * 1.5, which is what was expected all along...

pokemon-xd-gale-of-darkness-20050815095412128.jpg

you sure about that?

ELS-01X

Banned
Hell, RE4 and some XBox games were already getting there.
Oh no, this looks much much better. This looks like it has HDR and motion blur (0:22). Plus that deformation the beam at the end causes, is too good to be realtime. I'm calling it FMV/target render. Maybe it's the intro before you press START :p I could be wrong of course...

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
How is posting on topic about the graphical prowess of a game in said thread - the same graphical prowess others commented on positively - derailing a thread? Seems 'derailing' means 'posting something you don't like' in soundwave05 terms.
Amir0x said:
for deliberately derailing this thread even after a better translation was posted

note: i had nothing to do with any of the bans in that thread
Wow. Yea, making a joke is deliberately derailing nowadays it seems. I knew Amir0x didn't ban me since the man has common sence. And no, there wasn't a better translation before I posted. Next time I see something called "HyperVisor" in a PS3 thread I'll try and not make a joke about it, especially after Kutaragi made a comment about "4-D."

Didn't want to bring this up but the thread was bumped.

Anyways high quality video is looking better then ever. Hopefully Nintendo releases a hypervisor with it so I can enjoy some 4-D, right Bishoptl?

Amir0x

Banned
ant1532 said:
Wow. Yea, making a joke is deliberately derailing nowadays it seems. I knew Amir0x didn't ban me since the man has common sence. And no, there wasn't a better translation before I posted. Next time I see something called "HyperVisor" in a PS3 thread I'll try and not make a joke about it, especially after Kutaragi made a comment about "4-D."

Didn't want to bring this up but the thread was bumped.

i don't know why you responded to me, like i said i had nothing to do with your ban :lol

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
i don't know why you responded to me, like i said i had nothing to do with your ban :lol
lol i know, just quoted since you showed the so called "reason" why I was get banned.

Seeing this in higher quality makes it look even better but..... I am starting to wonder about this being in-game again. I don't have a problem with the models, the lighting, or even the animation, but the big laser blast thing makes me think it could be CG. It blasts through the one pokemon, smashes a pile of crates all over the place and burns a whole in the wall behind them, and carves a smoldering trail into the battlefield. Thats some pretty heavy real-time terrain destruction, especially based on the power we've seen Wii capable of so far.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
pitt_norton said:
Sounds like the entire meeting has been translated by Nintendo for westerners to listen in... it's the same guy who did the TGS translating.

Oh...you mean...[sarcasm]president Iwata[/sarcasm]?

Emotions

ImNotLikeThem said:
Seeing this in higher quality makes it look even better but..... I am starting to wonder about this being in-game again. I don't have a problem with the models, the lighting, or even the animation, but the big laser blast thing makes me think it could be CG. It blasts through the one pokemon, smashes a pile of crates all over the place and burns a whole in the wall behind them, and carves a smoldering trail into the battlefield. Thats some pretty heavy real-time terrain destruction, especially based on the power we've seen Wii capable of so far.

Nintendo is well known for not showing fake CG stuff, i don't think why they would do it this time. They refered to it in the presentation as Demo. It is coming this year afterall, so why show a CG demo if the game is not early in development at all, But knows i'm reserving till i know-see more about it. Hopefully soon.

mutsu

Why show CG, when the game is has only 1/2 year left in development? Surely it's far ahead in development already.

Emotions

mutsu said:
Why show CG, when the game is has only 1/2 year left in development? Surely it's far ahead in development already.

Exactly, but i'm still reserving judgement. Nintendo isn't known to show CG stuff first of their games.

Matt

Polari said:
Same. I'm pretty sure that can't be real-time.
And I still maintain that it is real time. When was the last time Nintendo tried to present CG as real time graphics? I honestly can’t think of it.

Jonnyram

It's funny how inferior people believe the Wii is.
Quite a few people have been saying the hardware was beefed up since the original dev kits were sent out, yet everyone still assumes it's just a turbo-powered GC.

Emotions

Jonnyram said:
It's funny how inferior people believe the Wii is.
Quite a few people have been saying the hardware was beefed up since the original dev kits were sent out, yet everyone still assumes it's just a turbo-powered GC.

You believe it's real time ?

Jonnyram

Emotions said:
You believe it's real time ?
Well I have no reason to believe it's not. Like others, I don't recall Nintendo using CG to demonstrate forthcoming games in the past, but I've only really been into Nintendo since the GC launch.

Emotions

Jonnyram said:
Well I have no reason to believe it's not. Like others, I don't recall Nintendo using CG to demonstrate forthcoming games in the past, but I've only really been into Nintendo since the GC launch.

They didn't prior GC either, they always show real time stuff for their games, when they announce them.

I think it's real time. If you look at the best the GameCube has to offer in terms of visuals, like RE4, Rogue Leader, Wind Waker, the water from Mario Sunshine, etc, and you double that, you have a pretty impressive machine. The you look at the graphics of Nintendo's in-house games that they've actually SHOWN, like Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl, why is it so hard to believe that the games will look like this? Mario Galaxy has like, NO polygon edges visable, and the lighting is just insane. Smash Brawl has supremely high poly modles with insane texture detail. Even the Wii Sports titles, while simple graphically, have NO polygon edges, they're all smooth as renders.

Also, seeing as this game has four Pokemon and two trainers contained in a small battle area, there's really no reason for it to not look that good. They aren't rendering an entire world.

Edit: I mean, you aren't going to see MGS4 on the Wii. But Nintendo has never strived for that look. There will be very vibrantly colored, CG-ish looking games, though. Mario from Mario Galaxy finally looks like his 3D renders from Mario 64. Hell, with the lighting effects they have going on, I'd say he looks better.

Top Bottom