• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summary of today's Nintendo meeting

Yamauchi

Banned
That's definitely a nice looking game. Not by X360 or PS3 standards, but I think everyone is pleasantly surprised that Nintendo seems to be putting some decent production budgets into its Wii titles. PBR looks a lot better than any Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum game I ever played. I'm still disappointed that Nintendo isn't making this a full blown RPG, though.

Jiggy

Okay, having seen the video:

-Interesting that they use the FR/LG characters. Kind of gives me hope that even if they don't introduce character creation (which they should), maybe in the future they'll at least give you the option of several different characters in the handheld games. Or maybe just in the console games--because unless there's something we don't know, it's not like you can link up your FR/LG trainers to a Wii game. (Maybe you could upload your FR/LG trainers to the DS game, and then from there to Wii?)

-Finally, the trainers point to make their commands, like in the show. :eek: I'm almost giddy to see this, honestly. It's a small touch, but small touches are what make a lot of games.

-Pikachu's Quick Attack (presumably) had a connecting animation. That was a common complain for the Stadium games, Colosseum, and XD, so... good for them for finding a way around it. They need to keep advancing the technology in future entries, though, so that (for example) the Pokemon actually move around the battlefield as opposed to always returning to their standard positions. Hey, if Chrono Trigger could do it at times...

-And I agree about the graphics looking really good.

jarosh said:
i will never ever in my entire life understand how you guys can play a game with this 'thing' in it:

pikachu.gif

never
Are you uninterested in Smash Bros.?

CrisKre said:
Ok, this looks leaps beyond colosseum in every way. This looks CGIish. If Wii can produce this level graphics Ill be more than happy. Just thinking on other franchices that can benefit from this graphical leap. F-zero comes to mind =]
F-Zero GX with these graphics would be amazing. Add in Wi-Fi (and find a way to fix snaking) and it gets better yet...

I think it is real time. I mean It basically has a fighting games perspective with only a couple characters and background. Easily should look VERY pretty.

Funny thing Japanese message board posters are getting all excited about this like it's the first time Wii has been revealed...

"Someone has hands on impressions of the Wii remote!!! Oh my god!!!"

Because E3 didn't happen in Japan it didn't happen at all. There's a clue to you for Japanese culture 101.

I should post the verbatim translations because it's pretty amusing culture on 2ch.net - definitely the GAF-est message board of Japan (haters, losers, whiners, fanboys, kiddies, Sega fans, Sony fans, Nintendo fans)

Cosmozone

Anybody who saw Mario Galaxy shouldn't be surprised by this footage. Very similar lighting, which seems to be a Hollywood standard feature? Animation is surprisingly good, though. At least for the Pokemon, the trainers moved somewhat stiffly.

And... Pikachu's model is ugly, as in SSBB. :( He looks perfect in the anime, why can't he in games?

EDIT: Isn't it strange, that at the Dengeki site, the Pokemon footage photos are the only pics that are not available in a higher resolution. Conspiracy theories ahoy!

Amir0x said:
The answer is: the quality of the video is too shitty to tell either way.
Totally the case. The YouTube video I watched said the source was a 160x120 video. Even if it was a clean capture of a 640x480 game at 160x120, that would give it the appearance of 16xAA.

However, in faking up some low-quality images of Pokémon Colosseum as I did with other GameCube games in the Red Steel thread... the Colosseum ones are still visibly nowhere near it. Whether that means "impressive considering GC 1.5" or "that's not real-time" is up to you, though.

20060607pokecolo1.jpg

h-103_54492_iwa3.jpg.jpg

20060607pokecolo2.jpg

Emotions

I remember the Pokemon Colloseum first trailers were all in real time. The trailer on the demo disc was as well, Nintendo doesn't show first game stuff in CGI form as far as i remember, i don't think this would be any different.
BTW this game looks gorgeous, i can't wait.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Poke-wow-mon.

damn, third partes got screwed at E3 if Nintendo games this early look like SMG and THIS game... and all their games look like, well... what we saw at E3, heh.

Leave it to Nintendo to spotlight third party games off the bat (Red Steel, Madden) and then do one of those - "NOW THAT WE GOT THAT OUT OF THE WAY LOOK WHAT WE CAN DO HAHAHA BUY 1ST PARTY"

Amir0x

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Totally the case. The YouTube video I watched said the source was a 160x120 video. Even if it was a clean capture of a 640x480 game at 160x120, that would give it the appearance of 16xAA.

However, in faking up some low-quality images of Pokémon Colosseum as I did with other GameCube games in the Red Steel thread... the Colosseum ones are still visibly nowhere near it. Whether that means "impressive considering GC 1.5" or "that's not real-time" is up to you, though.

20060607pokecolo1.jpg

h-103_54492_iwa3.jpg.jpg

20060607pokecolo2.jpg

No doubt, it's definitely a decent improvement over the Colosseum games no matter what side of the graphical fence you're on...

Amir0x said:
No doubt, it's definitely a decent improvement over the Colosseum games no matter what side of the graphical fence you're on...

The biggest difference seems to be the lighting, there's any obvious poly increase but the lighting is what stands out most. Same with Mario Galaxy, they both have really nice lighting, better than alot of other next gen games.

Amir0x

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The biggest difference seems to be the lighting, there's any obvious poly increase but the lighting is what stands out most. Same with Mario Galaxy, they both have really nice lighting, better than alot of other next gen games.

i agree much better lighting than Gamecube games

Saoh

ahmad said:
did he say "Nintendo Revolution" in that pokemon video ??? :|

eehh, dont thinks so. he said Pokemon Revo-ru-tion barle :p

lighting is the best thing in that trailer. :)

ethelred

Yamauchi said:
That's definitely a nice looking game. Not by X360 or PS3 standards, but I think everyone is pleasantly surprised that Nintendo seems to be putting some decent production budgets into its Wii titles. PBR looks a lot better than any Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum game I ever played. I'm still disappointed that Nintendo isn't making this a full blown RPG, though.

Just because it may not be an identically styled game to the handheld Pokemon games doesn't mean it won't be a full-blown RPG. Colosseum/Gale of Darkness were full-blown RPGs even if they didn't have all the same stuff that's distinctive in the handheld Pokemons.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So do Nintendo have one of these meetings every week? Or was it just a random thing?

Emotions

ethelred said:
Just because it may not be an identically styled game to the handheld Pokemon games doesn't mean it won't be a full-blown RPG. Colosseum/Gale of Darkness were full-blown RPGs even if they didn't have all the same stuff that's distinctive in the handheld Pokemons.

These games weren't bad to me, the problem with them is that they were too short.

This game looks pretty sweet but since it's so early in the Wii lifecycle I doubt it's a full MMORPG which is a bit of a same... but it'll be more then worth it if it's the stepping stone to GET to an MMORPG down the line.

Regardless the graphics look pretty friken sweet so far. If I'm getting grahpics at this sort of level for a good price ($150 american or so) then I have no complaints. Who needs exenspive hd graphics for $600 when you can have grahphics that are nearly is good for far cheaper?

Oh and Pikachu owns and is my favorite non legendary pokemon. I even have a plushie of him that my mom made for me a few christmas ago! Honestly I have a hard time sleeping with out it xd.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Nintendo shoulda' had this game at the E3 press conference... to counteract Gears of War.

Emotions

People overlooked one of the most important things, now seems that the Pokemons have their original voices , unlike those tiny midi sounds they make on Colloseum and XD and the N64 games, at least in the video Pikachu has his voice.

Jonnyram

Emotions said:
People overlooked one of the most important things, now seems that the Pokemons have their original voices , unlike those tiny midi sounds they make on Colloseum and XD and the N64 games, at least in the video Pikachu has his voice.
You're right, I didn't notice that... DVD storage FTW! I wonder though... a few of the pokemon actually speak, rather than just saying their names over and over again. I wonder what they'll say in the game.

Can you imagine modelling/animating/voicing 400+ pokemon? Not an enviable task at all.

Monk

Banned
I think you guys are missing the most important thing about this pokemon. So far no trace of lame "dark pokemon", and the main character is not an angst filled teen. That alone will make it sell beyond the crappy GC games.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
You're right, I didn't notice that... DVD storage FTW! I wonder though... a few of the pokemon actually speak, rather than just saying their names over and over again. I wonder what they'll say in the game.

Can you imagine modelling/animating/voicing 400+ pokemon? Not an enviable task at all.

I'm fairly sure they got the voicing part down thanks to the anime. :p

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hurrah for voice acting, hurrah for a non-Emo main character with non-Possesed non-Emo Pokemon

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
jarosh said:
UNinterested, pal

i... *gasp*... hate fighters. all of them.

I hate fighters, I suck so hard at em, SF, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Tekken, I hate them all, but not SSBM or Power Stone, they're different types of fighters, give it a shot.

Mojojo

What i disliked a lot with the Stadium games (I played only the N64 one, not the gamecube versions) was the way it interacted with the handheld games.. You had to plug this big adaptator on the N64 's joypad to read the cartridge info and the experience was limited...I suppose it was as awkward with the GC-GBA connectivity...
I am hoping the Wii/DS connectivity between this POke BR and Pokemon D/P will be a lot smoother and allow for more interactivity between the 2 games : maybe it will be the first game to use the DS as a control method for the Wii, turning your DS in a full Pokedex, ability to schedule PBR matches with friends on the DS etc...

Emotions

Gahiggidy said:
Nintendo shoulda' had this game at the E3 press conference... to counteract Gears of War.

Who cares about Gears of Wars in this thread, i certainly do not. This is about the new Pokemon game. What a silly thing to say that we even get Speevy a big xbot to mock at you in this thread. :lol

Jonnyram said:

Probably they're gonna include like 2 or 3 different samples for each Pokemon? with different sounding like louder, normal or lower,depending on their state.

Jiggy

Cool on noticing the voices. That'll be good...

jj984jj said:
They actually hit each other now! That is a big step for Pokemon.
...And yes, so will this.

Monk said:
I think you guys are missing the most important thing about this pokemon. So far no trace of lame "dark pokemon", and the main character is not an angst filled teen. That alone will make it sell beyond the crappy GC games.
He wasn't an angsty teen in XD either, but yeah, I can see the point about Shadow Pokemon. It was really a pretty cheap system--and I liked Colosseum and loved XD.

Emotions

Jiggy37 said:
Cool on noticing the voices. That'll be good...

...And yes, so will this.

He wasn't an angsty teen in XD either, but yeah, I can see the point about Shadow Pokemon. It was really a pretty cheap system--and I liked Colosseum and loved XD.

I liked them too, but i wish they would have been longer and being able to catch wild pokemon appart from the Shadow Pokemon thing. The music was really catchy in the games.

effzee

hmm imagine if they showed this at e3 with smash bros and other games with thier full trailers....oh nintendo how i do not get u.

spritex

They like to surprise us.

You know, people who were following E3 are mostly following the Internet very frequently for any news tidbits. And when things like these pop up it can only strenghten their intention to get the console (and possibly game too). Like "woot, now I am _totally_ getting the Wii". Or whatever.

You've all missed the most exciting bit of news from that video. If you play the DS version near your Wii while Battle Revolution is on, the TV will show your battles in real time as you play through the game. That's incredible.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Looks great, but the actual game reminds me of many RPG battle systems from last gen (PSX/N64/Sat). Too damn slow-paced.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wrestlemania said:
You've all missed the most exciting bit of news from that video. If you play the DS version near your Wii while Battle Revolution is on, the TV will show your battles in real time as you play through the game. That's incredible.
Not that I really care about Pokemon, but this DS/Wii connectivity concept seems promising. Has it been said/confirmed during the conference?

If the game is also taking place on the DS, that would explain the slow pace on the TV screen.

Wrestlemania said:

For real? Seriously? You better not be getting my hopes up...

Top Bottom