• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summary of today's Nintendo meeting

CrisKre

Ok, this looks leaps beyond colosseum in every way. This looks CGIish. If Wii can produce this level graphics Ill be more than happy. Just thinking on other franchices that can benefit from this graphical leap. F-zero comes to mind =]

Trurl

Banned
Fuzzy said:
I'm disappointed that a mod is telling exactly why a poster was banned. What happened to the good old GAF when we were left in the dark? :(
It's not even that long of a ban. GAF has gone soft.

We should embrace our bannings, they build character.

Matt said:
That probably has to do with the fact aht the GC and Wii are so similar in design. GS might have just taken their old models and code, upped the polys, added better lighting effects and textures, then just sat back and watched it run.

Yeah, I think basically Nintendo designed a machine where you can get a reasonable level of "nice" graphics without really having to break your back doing it.

I don't even think ATi probably even showed Iwata the specs, they probably just showed him tech demos of what various different chipsets could generate graphically and NCL agreed that a certain level of visual output was good enough for them in terms of cost vs. benefit.

KINGMOKU

Trurl said:
It's not even that long of a ban. GAF has gone soft.

We should embrace our bannings, they build character.
I'm torn. Part of me wants to laugh, but I was banned by Amirox, and the reason was "none".

I was banned for more then a month if I remember correctly. For what I still dont know.

I wish I got an explanation. :( :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If Pokemon looks this good, then I have a bit more relieved about what they could do with the next Zelda.

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
I'm torn. Part of me wants to laugh, but I was banned by Amirox, and the reason was "none".

I was banned for more then a month if I remember correctly. For what I still dont know.

I wish I got an explanation. :( :(

If the explanation was 'none', it was before we implemented that banning system... since I have given every one of my bans an explanation since then.

Oh, I found it. This is why at first click, and then you sent a hilarious e-mail saying you 'put forth a challenge' about the moderation of GAF and then we laughed and moved your 2 week ban to 2 months.

Oblivion said:
If Pokemon looks this good, then I have a bit more relieved about what they could do with the next Zelda.

Or Resident Evil Wii or Donkey Kong Wii for that matter.

I hope to *gawd* EAD is developing Star Fox internally this time around too.

unifin said:
Which is exactly why I'm so shocked/doubtful.

The presentation really seems to be fantastic in this one, even if it is just an FMV (please no)
It seems no more fantastical than an MGS3 cutscene using in-game models.

Pokemon Colloseum is just issuing orders and watching them carried out, anyway.

unifin

ShockingAlberto said:
It seems no more fantastical than an MGS3 cutscene using in-game models.

Pokemon Colloseum is just issuing orders and watching them carried out, anyway.

I suppose, but I just can't believe that a pokemon battle game would have destructible environments, complete with physics (see the end of the video).

Again, given the level of presentation we've seen before in these games, I'm hopeful, yet skeptical. Some form of confirmation would be very nice.

unifin said:
Dammit, I need someone else's opinion here!

I swear that looks like an FMV...

If you take a resonable current gen engine, increase the geometrey several times over, add a good lighting engine, upgrade the textures ... you can get a game that looks "CG-ish".

Hell, RE4 and some XBox games were already getting there.

unifin

soundwave05 said:
If you take a resonable current gen engine, increase the geometrey several times over, add a good lighting engine, upgrade the textures ... you can get a game that looks "CG-ish".

Hell, RE4 and some XBox games were already getting there.

Not exactly. :lol

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
If the explanation was 'none', it was before we implemented that banning system... since I have given every one of my bans an explanation since then.

Oh, I found it. This is why at first click, and then you sent a hilarious e-mail saying you 'put forth a challenge' about the moderation of GAF and then we laughed and moved your 2 week ban to 2 months.
:(

Anotherwords, I should have just accepted the ban, and shut the hell up?

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
:(

Anotherwords, I should have just accepted the ban, and shut the hell up?

oh you can certainly e-mail us asking to explain the ban or whatever, but the tone of the e-mail was just crazy. :p

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
oh you can certainly e-mail us asking to explain the ban or whatever, but the tone of the e-mail was just crazy. :p
I honestly dont remember it.

I dont think I want to either....

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Amir0x said:
i could post it here IF you like, but i think it would be slightly embarrassing :lol
Post it, it would be a lot more interesting than the Pokemon Wii discussion.

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
i could post it here IF you like, but i think it would be slightly embarrassing :lol
What can I do???? I cant threaten you not to, i'll get banned again :p

(I would perfer NOT to be humiliated by something I wrote in the heat of the moment)

birdchili

soundwave05 said:
This is exactly what happened with the DS ... Brain Training/Nintendogs caused the market for the DS to explode.

And the implications of that are still I think filtering in ... we haven't felt them yet, but I'd suspect more Konami, Square-Enix, Capcom, Namco, etc. support for the DS.

In NA, the jury is still out on DS vs PSP in the long-term, though the massive explosion of units in Japan doesn't hurt the DS cause much.

Iwata said "the DS leads the way" (or similar) w.r.t. Wii - so it seems they're trying a similar software plan here (which bodes relatively well, though handhelds were never really home to many "big" games, so the parallel isn't quite as good as they perhaps hope).

pick-up-and-play games for 10 minute sessions are great and all, but I still want options for rainy-day-order-pizza-and-stay-indoors gaming. N. has made a few comments that suggest they're moving away from this type of thing (in fairness, so has Sony). i play games instead of watching tv - games that cater to longer periods of play are important to me, and i always want to have a "big" game on the go. if a console can't provide a steady stream of releases in this style, it's not going to sustain my attention through the generation.

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
What can I do???? I cant threaten you not to, i'll get banned again :p

(I would perfer NOT to be humiliated by something I wrote in the heat of the moment)

Hahaha, I'm not allowed to use your e-mail over your head. That shit is sent in confidentiality and we keep it as such. If you want to keep it DL, I respect your decision.

KINGMOKU

Was it that bad? Dear god. What the hell did I write?

I dont know if I should man. Oh well, WTF. Let it fly. I dont even remember it, so it'll be like reading someone elses crazy angry letter.

Rocked

p41.gif

Does anyone have any more info on this game?

birdchili said:
In NA, the jury is still out on DS vs PSP in the long-term, though the massive explosion of units in Japan doesn't hurt the DS cause much.

Iwata said "the DS leads the way" (or similar) w.r.t. Wii - so it seems they're trying a similar software plan here (which bodes relatively well, though handhelds were never really home to many "big" games, so the parallel isn't quite as good as they perhaps hope).

pick-up-and-play games for 10 minute sessions are great and all, but I still want options for rainy-day-order-pizza-and-stay-indoors gaming. N. has made a few comments that suggest they're moving away from this type of thing (in fairness, so has Sony). i play games instead of watching tv - games that cater to longer periods of play are important to me, and i always want to have a "big" game on the go. if a console can't provide a steady stream of releases in this style, it's not going to sustain my attention through the generation.

You can have both.

Zelda: TP is going to sell a ton ... New Super Mario has too.

You can bet the continuation of Zelda/Mario as such will be as high of a priority.

This is also why I've been a staunch backer of "repositioning" Zelda: TP as a Wii launch title, waaaay before E3.

Because such a move will enable much larger sales for the title.

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
Was it that bad? Dear god. What the hell did I write?

I dont know if I should man. Oh well, WTF. Let it fly. I dont even remember it, so it'll be like reading someone elses crazy angry letter.

Ok. It's not really like the worst e-mail ever sent to GAF, but it was so funny especially in the context of why you were actually banned :p

I had a legit beef about the quality of the moderating that happens here, a=
nd I get banned?

If you don't want your "dirty laundry" aired in public, a suggestion comes =
to mind;

Moderate fairly.

Nintendo threads get de-railed on a consistant basis at GAF, with no help f=
rom the mods. It's inexcusible, and nausiating.

The best part of GAF, is it's intelligent discussions, *industry insiders*,=
and people with superior knowledge of computers, how they work, and what t=
o expect.

Also, if my banning has ANYTHING to do with the other thread I posted in ab=
out the DS emulator, that's completly un-reasonable.

This wasn't about Drinky, in any way shape or form, as I have accepted his =
"mascot-esque" presence here at GAF. It's about the other people who can d=
rop into a Nintendo thread and completly de-rail it with no punishment.

I have a challenge for you. Check my posting history. See if I HAVE EVER =
gone into a Sony/Microsoft thread with the intent purpose of starting a fla=
me-war.

The tone in wich I was banned is also suspect. I would like to understand =
why this was needed;

"Another card carrying member of GABAN (GAF am biased against Nintendo). He=
y man, if you don't like this place you don't have to come! So I'll let you=
test that out".

Did I say anything that was untrue? Or did it hurt, like a judo-punch to t=
he groin that I WAS RIGHT?
Fair is fair,and banning me won't stop others =
from seeing poor modship when they see it. As evidence in that VERY THREAD=
would indicate.

I have put forth a challange. I expect you to except it. If I'm wrong,you =
can use any tag-line you deem correct net tomy name in the future.

There you go :p

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
Ok. It's not really like the worst e-mail ever sent to GAF, but it was so funny especially in the context of why you were actually banned :p

There you go :p
Oh good god.

It was that bad.

*A reminder to the kids, dont send mail when your angry. Goosfraba, goooosfraaabaaaaa.....*

Terrell

unifin said:
Dammit, I need someone else's opinion here!

I swear that looks like an FMV...
Well, considering that most Pokemon battles involve pre-scripted graphical presentations, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that this was in-game footage, especially since the game will be released for Wii within its first 6 months or so and is likely already well into development.

unifin

Terrell said:
Well, considering that most Pokemon battles involve pre-scripted graphical presentations, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that this was in-game footage, especially since the game will be released for Wii within its first 6 months or so and is likely already well into development.

Looking at the ground textures (lol) again, and I'm being serious, I'm pretty sure this is real-time now.

If the jagginess is apparent in a 160X120 video... :lol

Terrell said:

It is kinda funny though that for all the paranoia that Nintendo's games were all going to look like Animal Crossing from here out ... the presentation/visual quality of Nintendo's console efforts seems to have risen the past few years.

Zelda looks good, Mario Galaxy looks good, Pokemon Battle Rev looks good ... even their DS stuff, Zelda DS and Mario Kart for instance look really nice all things considered.

Endgegner

Looks FMV to me, too. The lightning and the movement look very smooth. And while a HUD is in there, it doesn't really look like something nintendo would use in a retailed game. Nintendo's fmv people probably just were bored and made some funky stuff.

Furoba

Matt said:
That probably has to do with the fact aht the GC and Wii are so similar in design. GS might have just taken their old models and code, upped the polys, added better lighting effects and textures, then just sat back and watched it run.

I know that in the N64 days, Nintendo needed an enormous staff to model all 150 something (back then) Pokémon. It was such a work intensive task, so that the same models were used in Pokémon Snap.

I think they might do the same with this one, but I do think they are making new models, rather than recycling old ones. ;)

So I'm reading through these 8 pages, and spot a few absolutely gorgeous Pokemon shots. One by one people begin to chime in on how visually impressive it is. Then a GAF'er (a mod none the less) circles an obscure ground texture to piss on the parade of excited Nintendo/Pokemon fans. Then he turns around and says "you cant tell anything because the video is shitty". Amir0x, which one is it my man....a shitty ground texture or a shitty video? I mostly enjoy your insight, but I dont understand your point as it concerns this and all things Wii from a graphics standpoint.

Top Bottom