• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summary of today's Nintendo meeting

Jonnyram said:
Sorry... the %s were "% of people who bought non-game that also went on to buy real game". i.e. 20% of all the people who bought brain training bought NSMB.

Thanks for explanation Jonny :)

Considering nSMB is out from only 2 weeks i think its % will grow up very fast and probalby will do better than AC

Paladin69

TheKingsCrown said:
I think you people have misinterpreted Amir0x's comments on a Drinky Crow level.

"Continue the Nintendo fellating"

well they do come off a bit trollish...aka trying to provoke a negative response...

Amir0x said:
Tell on you? I can just ban if I like. I was just giving you a friendly warning - ad hominen attacks are against the TOS, and if you want to stick around you should simply stay on point. I certainly had no intent to insult you, or get personal.

I apologize if you dislike factual observations about Wii's technical capabilities, but this isn't the soundwave05 show. Room for all sides.

"Room for all sides" doesn't mean "lets derail every friggin' thread". That's actually called trolling (which is basically just acting like a jack ass), if you want to quote the TOS.

Which is basically all you've been doing since E3. If that bothers you to hear it ... how's that my fault?

It's your own behavior. If you want get all upset about it and do whatever you wanna do, like I said, big whoop. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Amir0x

Banned
Paladin69 said:

well they do come off a bit trollish...aka trying to provoke a negative response...

oh no, I actually consider the responses positive. I like hearing the other side of the coin, honestly.

soundwave05 said:
"Room for all sides" doesn't mean "lets derail every friggin' thread". That's actually called trolling (which is basically just acting like a jack ass), if you want to quote the TOS.

Which is basically all you've been doing since E3. If that bothers you to hear it ... how's that my fault?

It's your own behavior. If you want get all upset about it and do whatever you wanna do, like I said, big whoop. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

How is posting on topic about the graphical prowess of a game in said thread - the same graphical prowess others commented on positively - derailing a thread? Seems 'derailing' means 'posting something you don't like' in soundwave05 terms.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me for you to say it at all. However, saying 'you need to get laid. seriously' is not saying that, it's an ad hominen attack and serves no general purpose as well as being against 'da rules.'

Paladin69 said:

I'm pretty sure Amir0x posts what he does because he sees everyone say the same things every time and wants to get it out of the way. ;0)

unifin

Anyone have a mac-friendly version of the Pokemon video?

Looks great in screens, but I'll wait for direct feed - distance + shaky cam tend to make games look better than they really look...

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I'm pretty sure Amir0x posts what he does because he sees everyone say the same things every time and wants to get it out of the way. ;0)

I believe certain fundamental truths, to be sure, but I'm not taking any of this seriously! Otherwise, Wii wouldn't be the only 'next-gen' system I'm getting this Fall ;)

unifin said:
Anyone have a mac-friendly version of the Pokemon video?

Looks great in screens, but I'll wait for direct feed - distance + shaky cam tend to make games look better than they really look...
I'm downloading the stream. Turns out it is being lame and makes me download a very slow and small movie size of the whole hour and a half. Hopefully someone can beat me to getting it up.

Amir0x said:
oh no, I actually consider the responses positive. I like hearing the other side of the coin, honestly.

How is posting on topic about the graphical prowess of a game in said thread - the same graphical prowess others commented on positively - derailing a thread? Seems 'derailing' means 'posting something you don't like' in soundwave05 terms.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me for you to say it at all. However, saying 'you need to get laid. seriously' is not saying that, it's an ad hominen attack and serves no general purpose as well as being against 'da rules.'

Like I said, if you want to get all hot and bothered by what I said ... go right ahead. I'd actually be rather amused. Seems like I struck a nerve with the comment anyway.

The Wii doesn't have the best graphics (when did Nintendo say they were even trying to?) ... yeah, OK, thanks for the newsflash there buddy.

Jonnyram

Come on now... don't make me start quoting Scooter lyrics!

782124609627.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Like I said, if you want to get all hot and bothered by what I said ... go right ahead. I'd actually be rather amused. Seems like I struck a nerve with the comment anyway.

The Wii doesn't have the best graphics (when did Nintendo say they were even trying to?) ... yeah, OK, thanks for the newsflash there buddy.

d...do you honestly think my response equates to hitting a nerve? Because I thought I was just doing you a favor, but whatever man!

But uh, yeah... I wasn't trying to fill in with new information. Just like I don't need to know how you're so enarmoured with Nintendo's Wii strategy... yet you still keep posting about it and making the same points! Room for all sides, brudduh.

Paladin69 said:
and that makes it okay?

Well I for one am rather tired of hearing about crappy textures that are becoming more and more irrelevant this generation....I say that in terms of mass market appeal, not graphics whore. I know plenty of graphics whores in the mass market who have totally converted and now believe that games are getting stale and graphics are good enough that there needs to be something else to games.

Hey ! soundwave05 is right
mad5rl.gif
! Amirox is fooling you ! Let's make him fall from his throne and maul him to death !
Power to the citizens
emotargh6aq.gif
!...Right guys ?

JavyOO7

The Pokemon game for Wii should be a fully fleshed out RPG like its handheld brother. Not sure why Nintendo opts for the collesium/stadium stuff each time.

Hopefully it turns out good though. In the meantime, I can't wait to try out my first Pokemon game with the DS iterations though.

Do we get the top 10 games from Media-create tonight?

Matt

OK, after watching the Pokemon video, I have come to two conclusions:

1. It's all real time.
2. It looks great, perfect for a Pokemon game.

Amir0x said:
d...do you honestly think my response equates to hitting a nerve? Because I thought I was just doing you a favor, but whatever man!

But uh, yeah... I wasn't trying to fill in with new information. Just like I don't need to know how you're so enarmoured with Nintendo's Wii strategy... yet you still keep posting about it and making the same points! Room for all sides, brudduh.

I dunno, you seem to be making a big deal outta the comment. I don't take it back. Your posts do suggest some type of frustration on your part, and if you're offended by that ... I couldn't care less.

For the record, I see merit in the approaches that all 3 game companies are taking. But apparently we need to call the "Fun Police" when people get too excited about something.

Everyone on the board is quite aware of your feelings on this matter, so do we have to put up with the "Amirox Show" every time there's a new Nintendo announcement or game shown?

Because the act is getting pretty damn old, "brudduh".

Furoba

That Pokémon video looks might fine...

If they can achieve a game like this, I am sure it will be quite a hit worldwide.

Amir0x

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I dunno, you seem to be making a big deal outta the comment. I don't take it back. Your posts do suggest some type of frustration on your part, and if you're offended by that ... I couldn't care less.

Everyone on the board is quite aware of your feelings on this matter, so do we have to put up with the "Amirox" show every time there's a new Nintendo announcement of game shown?

Because the act is getting pretty damn old, "brudduh".

I'm aware of your feelings on this matter too! But you're still posting about it! Oh... right... only positive comments bare repeating.

Anyway, this is a circle of doom - if you do an ad hominen insult again, against anyone, you will get a severe ban. Not least because of your seeming disregard of the matter - since you 'couldn't care less'. And that's all to say on THAT subject.

JavyOO7

Stormbringer said:
Hey ! soundwave05 is right
mad5rl.gif
! Amirox is fooling you ! Let's make him fall from his throne and maul him to death !
Power to the citizens
emotargh6aq.gif
!...Right guys ?

And in other news the sky is blue.

Amir0x said:
I'm aware of your feelings on this matter too! But you're still posting about it! Oh... right... only positive comments bare repeating.

Anyway, this is a circle of doom - if you do an ad hominen insult again, against anyone, you will get severe ban. Not least because of your seeming disregard of the matter. And that's all to say on THAT subject.

Well now you know what it feels like :lol

Paladin69

TheKingsCrown said:
Well I for one am rather tired of hearing about crappy textures that are becoming more and more irrelevant this generation....I say that in terms of mass market appeal, not graphics whore. I know plenty of graphics whores in the mass market who have totally converted and now believe that games are getting stale and graphics are good enough that there needs to be something else to games.

Agreed. After seeing ZeldaTP, RE4, Halo 2, Chronicles of Riddick....I think there was still plenty of room left on the canvas for devs to paint on.

We needed new systems at the end of PSOne and N64's life...they could only do so much...but I think this current/last generation still had a lot of breathing room left that was wasted.

birdchili

nintendo meeting said:
Seems they want to get more non-gamers into games gradually - the above stats seem to indicate such a motion.

they can't bring this up enough for me. as much as they're constantly saying they want to continue to cater to the hardcore demographic, the sales of 'brain age' and similar, coupled with their 'new direction' keeps making me nervous that they're putting too many resources in things that i'm highly unlikely to buy (ie: "non-games").

using the 'non-games' as a gateway drug to the other stuff is interesting though... do they think that non-standard games don't have the longevity of the old-style-games?

i suppose if they can get *everyone* to buy one type of game, that's ideal for them... hmmm...

still fearful for the future of "big" games on Nintendo platforms.

Matt

jj984jj said:
Wow, Pokemon Wii looks... like an X-Box game.
I have to disagree. The models, the lighting, and the environment all look better then any XBox game I know of. Put that together with the very good animation (IMO), and we have an at least XBox 1.5 looking game.

jj984jj said:
Wow, Pokemon Wii looks... like an X-Box game.

Do you seriously think that or is this another "Hey let's play Drinky !" role-play game ? Because to me, despite the quality of the video, that looked really good.

JavyOO7 said:
And in other news the sky is blue.

Hey ! I was just trying to...how do you say that in english..."détendre l'ambiance" :p .

Amir0x

Banned
birdchili said:
they can't bring this up enough for me. as much as they're constantly saying they want to continue to cater to the hardcore demographic, the sales of 'brain age' and similar, coupled with their 'new direction' keeps making me nervous that they're putting too many resources in things that i'm highly unlikely to buy (ie: "non-games").

using the 'non-games' as a gateway drug to the other stuff is interesting though... do they think that non-standard games don't have the longevity of the old-style-games?

i suppose if they can get *everyone* to buy one type of game, that's ideal for them... hmmm...

The critical percentage I want to see is how many of the individuals that brought Brain Age were non-gamers in the first place... because 20% certainly sounds like a number that would be reflective of the amount of 'real' gamers that might have purchased the title... and if that is the 20% that went on to buy NSMB, then it's pretty irrelevant. I wonder if in the future there's any way to gauge this.

JavyOO7

birdchili said:

I think that statement Nintendo made earlier today should be enough to amend your fears. But you will still see non-games like Wii orchestra, or Wii Brain Training etc etc etc.

If you need prove just look at the Wii first party line-up... the franchises we all know and love or there along with a couple of new ones. With the exception of one or two games, they are the full fledged games we all know and love.

It's hard to get used to I realize, but get used to seeing Brain Training Wii and Super Mario Galaxy in the top 10 charts together for a while whent hey come out. :D

birdchili said:

Nintendo's doesn't arbitrarily follow any one direction though.

If Conker's Bad Fur Day had sold 2-3 million copies (which I think it could have, earlier in the N64's lifespan) ... you'd have seen more games with a squirrel pissing out beer in addition to the Pokemon games for instance.

If games like New Super Mario Bros., Smash Bros. Brawl, and Zelda: TP put up big sales ... there's no reason Nintendo won't continue to supply games for both ends of the spectrum.

Money is money ... Brain Training can reach audiences that Zelda can't, and Zelda can reach audiences that Brain Training cannot.

JavyOO7

Amir0x said:
The critical percentage I want to see is how many of the individuals that brought Brain Age were non-gamers in the first place... because 20% certainly sounds like a number that would be reflective of the amount of 'real' gamers that might have purchased the title... and if that is the 20% that went on to buy NSMB, then it's pretty irrelevant. I wonder if in the future there's any way to gauge this.

I trhink Nintendo said about 35% of folks over the age of 35 bought Brain Training. The game has sold alot... no way it could be soely gamers. I think a healthy percentage of folks who never bought a game in their lives bought Brain Age.

Amir0x

Banned
JavyOO7 said:
I trhink Nintendo said about 35% of folks over the age of 35 bought Brain Training. The game has sold alot... no way it could be soely gamers. I think a healthy percentage of folks who never bought a game in their lives bought Brain Age.

no, i mean the percentage of folks who purchased Brain Age that went on to buy NSMB. They said 20%... but is that 20% the same 20% of regular gamers who likely purchased Brain Age in addition to the 'non-gamers', or is it the non-gamers contributing significantly to that number?

Amir0x

Banned
That's a compliment though, Ninja Gaiden is one of the best looking games from last gen... on par with RE4 at times.

birdchili

JavyOO7 said:
get used to seeing Brain Training Wii and Super Mario Galaxy in the top 10 charts together for a while whent hey come out. :D

this doesn't bug me at all. in truth, there's some non-game stuff i might spend some time with (i'm really looking forward to a browser that fires up in a few seconds that i can control using the wiimote on my tv, for example - checking the news and weather in the morning while chowing cereal with my off hand sounds fine).

when you consider that 'brain training' took a few months and a handful of people to put together, and sold about a bajillion copies, the economics of these games is a non-brainer (keep making lots of them!). something like mario might sell almost as well, but takes near a hundred people and years of dev time (this is a guess, but probably not too far off).

if sony or ms really get a stranglehold on the gamer market, you can see N. (logically) moving into more of a non-gamer niche. the more they reiterate a comittment to game-games, the better i feel.

...and i'm still hoping for a whole pile of original one-handed rpg content on wii (crosses fingers).

jj984jj said:
It doesn't look any better then this:
ninja-gaiden-black-6.jpg

Ninja Gaiden didn't even use real-time local lighting, they were mostly 'faked'. But the butter smooth 60fps and crisp textures made up for it. Pokemon just looks more advanced, technically.

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:

No Amir, you're just in denial.

I think what's happening in Japan now is just a snowball effect.

It started with Nintendogs and then hit a fever pitch with Brain Training/AC ... and now everything Nintendo is releasing is turning to gold.

I don't think NSMB would sell 900k in its first week without the foundation of BT/AC before it ... those games really turned the DS around in Japan and made it a hot item for gamers and non-gamers alike.

900k in a week is simply ridiculous, even back in the Famicom days when Nintendo had 100% of the market almost and Mario was at the absolute peak of his popularity, I doubt the Mario games pulled 900k a week.

Top Bottom