• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summary of today's Nintendo meeting

jj984jj said:
It doesn't look any better then this:
ninja-gaiden-black-6.jpg

That maybe true, but Ninja Gaiden is still a very good looking game, and lets face it, the Pokemon Colosseum team isn't the most gifted team graphically.

For reference, this is Pokemon Colosseum on the GC:

pokcol_021704_x8.jpg

The fact that their first game on the Wii already looks as good if not better than Ninja Gaiden ... well it makes you wonder what say Capcom could do with the RE4 engine on the Wii for instance.

JavyOO7

birdchili said:
if sony or ms really get a stranglehold on the gamer market, you can see N. (logically) moving into more of a non-gamer niche. the more they reiterate a comittment to game-games, the better i feel.

To be fair, you can't get any more of a stranglehand than what Sony has on the console market anyway. And look who just happens to be dominating on the handheld part of things? :D

But yeah, the chances Nintendo goes ultra-niche is pretty much slim to none in regulating themselves to non-games for ever and eternity. As long as the Nintendo faithful (like myself and you) buy Nintendo games (of course to the high standard that Nintendo usually releases their stuff in) then look for them to keep on what they're doing for a while.

And the following list is as gaming awesome as you can get though:

New SMB
Elite Beat Agents
Yoshi Island 2
StarFox DS
Diddy Kong Racing
Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Hotel Dusk
and etc etc etc
Detect Hacker

Amir0x

Banned
JavyOO7 said:
To be fair, you can't get any more of a stranglehand than what Sony has on the console market anyway. And look who just happens to be dominating on the handheld part of things? :D

In marketshare terms, Nintendo had a bigger stranglehold than Sony did back with NES.

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:
i'm not sure there's any way to respond to this seriously

To be quite honest, there's really no way to respond to most of your posts seriously. Hence my less than serious response. What's your point?

JavyOO7

Amir0x said:
no, i mean the percentage of folks who purchased Brain Age that went on to buy NSMB. They said 20%... but is that 20% the same 20% of regular gamers who likely purchased Brain Age in addition to the 'non-gamers', or is it the non-gamers contributing significantly to that number?

Most likely the latter. We won't ever know until Nintendo gives us a powerpoint inducing presentation on how there's like 10 million non-gamers for the DS and etc etc.

Gawaian

Danydrunk said:
Listo para el juego de el domingo? yo estoy nervioso !!!! pero ya quiero que empieze el mundial
Si, ya no puedo esperar, solo espero que no haya sorpresas desagradables, aka, que perdamos contra Irán :lol :lol . :(

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
To be quite honest, there's really no way to respond to most of your posts seriously. Hence my less than serious response. What's your point?

i know you think you're being clever dude, but your response honestly made no sense - unless you think that the percentage of real gamers who purchased Brain Age is less than 20%. Which is absurd.

JavyOO7

Amir0x said:
In marketshare terms, Nintendo had a bigger stranglehold than Sony did back with NES.

This is true. But during the n64 with the entire stigma that "Nintendo is for kids", and Nintendo losing their marketshare heavily to Sony, and on top of that Microsoft taking a piece of the pie away from Nintendo, and on top of that many hardcore gamers not taking the Big N seriously anymore for their gaming needs and etc etc. Nintendo has received tons of backlash from the media and its fans... most of the time justifiable.

unifin

Amir0x said:
i know you think you're being clever dude, but your response honestly made no sense - unless you think that the percentage of real gamers who purchased Brain Age is less than 20%. Which is absurd.

Stop feeding the monkeys, Amir0x. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
JavyOO7 said:
This is true. But during the n64 with the entire stigma that "Nintendo is for kids", and Nintendo losing their marketshare heavily to Sony, and on top of that Microsoft taking a piece of the pie away from Nintendo, and on top of that many hardcore gamers not taking the Big N seriously anymore for their gaming needs and etc etc. Nintendo has received tons of backlash from the media and its fans... most of the time justifiable.

No doubt. It's pretty remarkable the come back Nintendo has made in this regard - all it took was DS to change everyone's perspective on Nintendo's future strategy viability.

birdchili

JavyOO7 said:
As long as the Nintendo faithful (like myself and you) buy Nintendo games (of course to the high standard that Nintendo usually releases their stuff in) then look for them to keep on what they're doing for a while.

i am decidedly *not* the Nintendo faithful.

if Wii becomes Gamecube 2 in terms of game support, i'll have a ps3 sitting under my tv.

they *need* long-term 3rd party support. they *need* epic games. and they need them regularly and with great controller integration to keep a different console from being the destination of all of my software purchases.

----

assuming they can manufacture faster than the ps3 (yeah, this is unknown, but doesn't seem too outlandish), i can see a situation where they can grow their installed base lots fater.

- use 'non-games' to enlarge the market
- convince 'non-game' buyers that other types of games are super-fun
- keep enough 'big' games coming out to keep the semi-hardcore from needing an early ps3
- use large installed base to convince third parties that aren't on-board yet.
- Wii is a real player again.

could happen...

birdchili said:
i am decidedly *not* the Nintendo faithful.

if Wii becomes Gamecube 2 in terms of game support, i'll have a ps3 sitting under my tv.

they *need* long-term 3rd party support. they *need* epic games. and they need them regularly and with great controller integration to keep a different console from being the destination of all of my software purchases.

----

assuming they can manufacture faster than the ps3 (yeah, this is unknown, but doesn't seem too outlandish), i can see a situation where they can grow their installed base lots fater.

- use 'non-games' to enlarge the market
- convince 'non-game' buyers that other types of games are super-fun
- keep enough 'big' games coming out to keep the semi-hardcore from needing an early ps3
- use large installed base to convince third parties that aren't on-board yet.
- Wii is a real player again.

could happen...

This is exactly what happened with the DS ... Brain Training/Nintendogs caused the market for the DS to explode.

And the implications of that are still I think filtering in ... we haven't felt them yet, but I'd suspect more Konami, Square-Enix, Capcom, Namco, etc. support for the DS.

You just can't ignore a userbase that big.

Without Brain Training I seriously have my doubts if Nintendo could have sold 900,000 copies of New Super Mario Bros. in a week.

lancubap

rafman400 said:
I cant belivve Ant1532 got banned... and for this?

"It is like to be under dictature. But one day, the common people will take the power as it is right that it is. It is not right that only nobles and clergy can spent all the money they want and the people dies of hunger".

-Maximilien Robespierre, 1975-

robespierre.gif

arevo01.jpg

Matlock

Banned
well i'll be damned, while I was dicking around with an intro image and posting it elsewhere I didn't see the other people uploaded it :lol

Matlock

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Non-youtube version?

there's the streaming, and there's the youtube. you can download directly from either, but the youtube only has the pokemon part. dunno what else you want, man.

unifin said:
What in the world? I'm very skeptical - looks amazing, which means I doubt it's realtime.

I mean, there's an HUD and all, but that looks INCREDIBLE.

It looks good, but really I don't see why that couldn't be running on hardware somewhere in the range of 2-3x better than the GameCube.

It's probably a more pleasant surprise to see a team like Genius Sonority, which isn't really known for good graphics being able to pump out a nice looking game like this with the Wii right off the bat.

unifin

soundwave05 said:
It looks good, but really I don't see why that couldn't be running on hardware somewhere in the range of 2-3x better than the GameCube.

It's probably a more pleasant surprise to see a team like Genius Sonority, which isn't really known for good graphics being able to pump out a nice looking game like this with the Wii right off the bat.

It's just the presentation - the camera angles, the animation, the PHYSICS with the containers in the background... almost too good to be true, and, thus, I'm being a bit cautious.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
soundwave05 said:

Who said they're making it?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Amir0x said:
for deliberately derailing this thread even after a better translation was posted

note: i had nothing to do with any of the bans in that thread
I'm disappointed that a mod is telling exactly why a poster was banned. What happened to the good old GAF when we were left in the dark? :(

Amir0x

Banned
Fuzzy said:
I'm disappointed that a mod is telling exactly why a poster was banned. What happened to the good old GAF when we were left in the dark? :(

i wasn't part of good old GAF, I've only ever been a part of new lame old GAF!

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:

what are real gamers again? You go into threads and drop some passive agressive comments about things you dislike. I don't think this is new.

And what about this interests you? Does it matter if its 19% of your so-called 'real' gamers who bought Brain Training vs the theoretical statistic?

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
what are real gamers again? You go into threads and drop some passive agressive comments about things you dislike like non-gamers and non-games all the time especially in DS related threads. I don't think this is new.

And what about this interests you? Does it matter if its 19% of your so-called 'real' gamers who bought Brain Training vs the theoretical statistic?

*cough*

uh, it's Nintendo making the distinction here. i think you didn't even read anything, so i'll let you do that now. and also your final sentence proves you didn't read since that has nothing to do with what i was saying

unifin said:
It's just the presentation - the camera angles, the animation, the PHYSICS with the containers in the background... almost too good to be true, and, thus, I'm being a bit cautious.

Well this is Pokemon Colosseum on the GCN once again:

pokcol_013004_x16.jpg

Pokemon Battle Rev on the Wii definitely has a higher poly count for the characters. I'd say 2-3x the polys/character easily.

Also much, much better lighting effects.

Though it's hard to tell from how choppy the video is, Pokemon Battle Rev also seems to have much nicer anti-aliasing or image quality going on. If I didn't know better I'd say the game was running at 720p.

Tiktaalik

I love that video. The camera angles and direction is exactly how a sports network like ESPN would cover a hypothetical Pokemon battle. Hopefully it has really over the top sports like play by play of the action. That would be really cool.

Matt

soundwave05 said:

That probably has to do with the fact aht the GC and Wii are so similar in design. GS might have just taken their old models and code, upped the polys, added better lighting effects and textures, then just sat back and watched it run.

unifin

Zaxxon said:
I love that video. The camera angles and direction is exactly how a sports network like ESPN would cover a hypothetical Pokemon battle. Hopefully it has really over the top sports like play by play of the action. That would be really cool.

Which is exactly why I'm so shocked/doubtful.

The presentation really seems to be fantastic in this one, even if it is just an FMV (please no)

Top Bottom