• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summary of today's Nintendo meeting

The Pokemon Battle Revolution graphics kind of back up what I'm saying -- you can still make a very, very nice looking game even just using a "souped up" GCN chipset.

It's not so much that we're hitting diminishing returns with graphics, it's more that I think we've hit a certain "point of progress" in 3D graphics. Meaning, you can get better now, but what's availible even now is still good enough to make a very nice looking game. It's more about having a good art director, really.

Especailly for what Nintendo wants to do ... the Wii chipset is more than good enough for that type of audience.

A BMW 3-series isn't a Lamborghini, but if you gave a BMW 3 series to someone who knows little about cars and just needs to drive to work/school everyday ... that's a helluva lot of power for a car for them.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
ant1532 said:
Yea its working for mi now but bein a buffering bitch, same for you?
Yeah, but its even more shit for me as I'm in my university computer room, which is closing in 10 minutes and has no sound!

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Nice chunk of info.

So Pokemon is to hit the Wii this soon. Nintendo doesn't like wasting time. The images look impressive, although the video isn't working for me.

Jiggy

Pokemon Battle Revolution looks stupidly cool, graphically. Name implies a Stadium-type game, but I could still buy into it if it was cheaply-priced (say $30-35) and had a more complex version of the Academy from Stadium 2 and the Battle CDs from XD. They're similar in concept, and probably my favorite idea introduced in the 3D series.

And, yes! There's the WiFi confirmation for Pokemon D/P for all those who wouldn't have gotten it unless it went online. Voice chat, though... argh. I'm assuming it'll only be available for people whose Friend Codes you have, but even then, this might not be pretty. It's probably liable to be some kind of PR disaster in the US when, inevitably, some kid finds someone to trade FCs with over the Internet, then gets into a voice chat and gives out his/her address. Nintendo may have just unwittingly found a way to make certain that the game doesn't outsell Gold/Silver, which I previously thought was a lock.

thegodsend said:
if that's really realtime (and I think so), I'm sure we will see jaggies and so on in high-res pics. But what really looks great is the lightning - much better than anything on GameCube in this respect.
There are almost no jaggies on the GC Pokemon games, though, and they're the same models.

Jonnyram

Wawawawa, there's Pokemon video at 1:23:xx.
Or click to slide 70 and then click the "start video from this slide" button 「このスライドから動画を再生」.

ant1532

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Or click to slide 70 and then click the "start video from this slide" button 「このスライドから動画を再生」.
:O

ethelred

Battle Revolution looks pretty awesome.

I'm hoping that in addition to Stadium-style battling, it also has a Colosseum/Gale of Darkness-style single player RPG mode. Also, this game was meant for both online gameplay and some incorporation of WiiConnect24, but I'm sure Nintendo knows that. :)

"A few months" after Diamond/Pearl means it's out this year in Japan... damn, this is just going to be huge. Wii will still be the new thing, so it'll benefit from launch window sales, and the Diamond/Pearl buzz/connectivity will really help... this is going to be a major, major title for the Wii this holiday season. Wow.

Wii is definitely doing a great job establishing an early RPG lineup. I'm happy.

ant1532

Banned
HOLY SHIT. IF THAT IS REAL TIME.... Animations are awesome. Characters actually make contact with eachother now. That video was great

ziran

Jonnyram said:
looks stunning!!!!!

does it sound like it's realtime?

if it is in-game, WOW!!!

Jonnyram

soundwave05 said:
Yup ... expect Pokemon D/P for the DS this December in Japan. Pokemon BR will probably follow in March/April-ish.
D/P is confirmed for Autumn, and Iwata said Nintendo wants to release BR by the end of the year. He says this as the video is playing.

Jonnyram said:
D/P is confirmed for Autumn, and Iwata said Nintendo wants to release BR by the end of the year. He says this as the video is playing.

Well that's a surprise.

I had a hunch though that there were other Wii games that are coming from Nintendo for this year (at least for Japan) that Nintendo didn't show at E3.

Because for Japan when you really think about it -- Zelda will be big, but Metroid and Excite Truckers and what not really don't mean much.

ziran

Jonnyram said:
pretty ambitious to release it by the end of the year.

so maybe diamond/pearl november (or maybe earlier if wii launches in nov), pokemon battle revolution dec.

Mrbob

ant1532 said:
HOLY SHIT. IF THAT IS REAL TIME.... Animations are awesome. Characters actually make contact with eachother now. That video was great

Who needs real time weapon change when we have the revolutionary real time combat contact now! J/k I just thought it was funny getting excited over characters making contact in battle. ;)

So is famitsu saying the Rev will be released in September or we are going a price and date in September?

Pokemon D/P for autumn then probably means Brain Training 3 for the DS this December in Japan.

Holy **** @ the sales potential.

Wii in September works for me. :)

If it's $150, I probably will just import.

Anyone else have a feeling Animal Crossing Wii may be coming out sooner than we think as well?

Nintendo really seems hellbent on selling as many systems as possible in the first 6-10 months.

K2000

If you want to save the video, use NetTransport and here is the direct link:

mms://live.eizodana.com/nintendo/060607/03/74d18b0400/l01.asf

(The video is really small... 160 x 120)

ant1532

Banned
Mrbob said:
Who needs real time weapon change when we have the revolutionary real time combat contact now! J/k I just thought it was funny getting excited over characters making contact in battle. ;)

So is famitsu saying the Rev will be released in September or we are going a price and date in September?
lol well i remember wondering when i was little playing the pokemon games, why they never made contact with each other.:D

Price and date is going to be given in September

Deku

Banned
There's a lifebar and all that, Nintendo's traditionally not faked screenshots like that or do those types of screens in fmv. It could be real time. /notapokefan

Right, I've got someone downloading it. Sadly, you have to download the whole thing, and there isn't a higher res version. I'll try and get it cut out.

ethelred

soundwave05 said:
Anyone else have a feeling Animal Crossing Wii may be coming out sooner than we think as well?

Yes.

soundwave05 said:
Nintendo really seems hellbent on selling as many systems as possible in the first 6-10 months.

Which is exactly the right course to take. Even if some games lose out in getting "optimal sales," if it means more hardware is moved, that's absolutely the most important thing. Establishing a killer lineup and winning momentum early on is the biggest thing because that way all software will benefit down the line.

Kafel

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Thx a lot Jonny, at 13 minutes I was falling asleep.

The video is awesome.

lancubap

soundwave05 said:
Pokemon D/P for autumn then probably means Brain Training 3 for the DS this December in Japan.

Holy **** @ the sales potential.

Wii in September works for me. :)

If it's $150, I probably will just import.

The problem is that sales potential = how many units Nintendo can produce. I hope that in december they'll be able to produce 2-3 millions as minimum.

r4z4

soundwave05 said:

Hopefully it can help secure third party support for the entire life of Wii. Recently Nintendo has had third parties on board half-heartedly, if Nintendo continue to impress, third parties may take a risk with them and show further support.

Amir0x

Banned
ant1532 said:
Wow, i still can't believe how good Pokemon ****ing looks.

oh i can believe how 'good' Pokemon looks. What's hard to believe!

ShitTexturesQuality_copy.jpg

I think textures and backgrounds don't look that good. But the characters seems a step above the GameCube versions and lightning looks great, too.
Can't wait to see the attacks.

$150 price point is making more and more sense IMO.

It's disruptive to the market.

It's more appealling to non-gamers.

It will allow Nintendo to amass a large userbase quickly

With said userbase, even if the controller is copied down the line (fully), it doesn't really matter.

It makes the Wii more appealling to DS owners who might buy one as a "base unit" for their DS. The cheaper the better in this regard.

Dude, it's an overclocked GC. Once you can accept it and get over that stumbling block, then we can stop bitching about your bitching. Right? Right! :p

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Dude, it's an overclocked GC. Once you can accept it and get over that stumbling block, then we can stop bitching about your bitching. Right? Right! :p

I wasn't even BITCHING. I was making fun of the hyperbole!

lancubap said:
Of course I understand nothing at all. I know english, german, french and italien, but I think that japanise is a language that I should study.

Only if you want to read Japanese. Otherwise, the language won't be insulted. :)

I continue to be baffled over GAF's reaction to this. Sure the graphics look good, but good graphics don't make a good game. Since when have console Pokemon games been decent? Even if this thing was using the freaking UE3.0 I wouldn't be too excited.

Stadium, Colluseum...meh.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
It was a pre-emptive post so I wouldn't have to make it later! Anyway I think we can all agree that Pikmin 2 rocks.

Whatever, you gotta give me a chance to bitch before you post :(

But yeah Pikmin 2 rocks. Where's Pikmin 3, huh

PhoenixDark said:
I continue to be baffled over GAF's reaction to this. Sure the graphics look good, but good graphics don't make a good game. Since when have console Pokemon games been decent? Even if this thing was using the freaking UE3.0 I wouldn't be too excited.

Are you bashing Stadium?!

THE MINIGAMES! THINK OF THE MINIGAMES!

lancubap

TheKingsCrown said:
Only if you want to read Japanese. Otherwise, the language won't be insulted. :)

I cannot pretend to know every language as my motherlanguage. I wanna only understand when I read and listen.

ant1532

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

We're just suprised by the announcement and it actually looks graphically very very good compared to things we saw at E3.

ps. Stadium was awesome

ethelred

PhoenixDark said:

Eh, I don't think Gale of Darkness was a bad game at all. It was a different sort of game than the handheld Pokemon games, but I really didn't find it bad. I actually thought it was very good, just a different kind of game.

Didn't play the others.

Also, I think most folks (certainly me) are impressed that they've got a Pokemon game ready to launch so early. They're really putting together a very strong early lineup, and whatever you think of console Pokemon games, this one is likely to be huge.

And thirdly, people are probably considering what the game would be like with online. Lots of things get better with online.

PhoenixDark said:

Well, you have factor in the possibility that maybe some people actually enjoyed the Stadium/Colloseum games. That way you'll be less baffled.

Of course a true Pokemon game is always better in my eyes so my excitement is hardly through the roof here.

Amir0x said:
The only Pokemon spin-off should be Pokemon Puzzle League 2, or a Pokemon MMORPG.

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just make the DS game the main game and the battles appear on the TV set lols. And the main game will only interact with Wii this way and when it does it will connect to the Wifi and I can battle Amir0x with my Raichu.

TheKingsCrown said:
I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just make the DS game the main game and the battles appear on the TV set lols. And the main game will only interact with Wii this way and when it does it will connect to the Wifi and I can battle Amir0x with my Raichu.

I'm going to quote myself for dumbness because I'm not sure how exactly what I just said makes sense.

Top Bottom