• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Better be careful about that. Remember Titans?

I'm only talking in terms of hype, rather than necessarily great quality. KimiUso could end up being dreadful, overly juvenile, or a combination of the two!

I didn't actually watch enough of Attack on Titan to witness its huge quality drop; I will take away from it my memories of the jaw-droppingly impressive first episode and That OP, and ignore the rest.

In terms of hype, I'm probably quite excited about the OP of Psycho Pass 2 as well! The show itself, well...

I notice some modern releases never seem to get blurays...do some shows just not show in HD in Japan?

Reverse-importation fears by the Japanese licensors. Most of Sentai's DVD-only (sub) releases in the past are starting to get Blu-ray releases, and sometimes come with an English dub.

The other issue is costs for BD authoring/replication have come down a lot since 2011, so titles that may not have made back their costs on BD are now do-able on BD for Sentai. People often forget that most titles for them sell around 3k units or less in the US (for cour sets too). Adding the dub means the title sold better than expected and could justify a cheap one from Sentai as well. Sometimes they may not get clearance in time for solicitations, so that's another reason why you see them go DVD-only now.

With Funi, it's typically Kadokawa/Geneon titles that get DVD-only because Funi pissed off Kadokawa in 2011 regarding BDs and they were going to release Index/Railgun around the time Geneon/Warner planned for BD-Boxes/movie release which caused a holdback on BDs.

Aniplex does DVD-only on titles that aren't expected to sell a lot to reduce costs (like Silver Spoon).

jbug617

Banned
Yes!!!!!!!
SentaiFilmworks' latest acquisition, The Ambition of Oda Nobuna.
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-licenses-the-ambition-of-oda

In an alternate past where the armies of Japan are led by female warlords, one woman’s dreams will shape a nation in SentaiFilmworks' latest acquisition, The Ambition of Oda Nobuna. This historical action comedy series is directed by Yuuji Kumazawa (Sunday Without God, The Irregular at Magic High School [Assosicate Director]) with series composition by Masashi Suzuki (Kanokon: The Girl Who Cried Fox, Koe De Oshigoto!), music by Yasuharu Takanashi (Fairy Tail, Smile Precure!) and animation production by Studio GOKUMI (A-Channel, Koe De Oshigoto!) x MADHOUSE (Death Note, High School of the Dead).

The other issue is costs for BD authoring/replication have come down a lot since 2011, so titles that may not have made back their costs on BD are now do-able on BD for Sentai. People often forget that most titles for them sell around 3k units or less in the US (for cour sets too). Adding the dub means the title sold better than expected and could justify a cheap one from Sentai as well. Sometimes they may not get clearance in time for solicitations, so that's another reason why you see them go DVD-only now.

With Funi, it's typically Kadokawa/Geneon titles that get DVD-only because Funi pissed off Kadokawa in 2011 regarding BDs and they were going to release Index/Railgun around the time Geneon/Warner planned for BD-Boxes/movie release which caused a holdback on BDs.

Aniplex does DVD-only on titles that aren't expected to sell a lot to reduce costs (like Silver Spoon).

Thanks for that info, bothers me when I can't get them on Bluray. I will buy DVD of course to support it but I do hope they bring Non Non Biyori and Engaged to the Unidentified to bluray. Of course I am talking about Sentai right now mainly.

Midonin

Blue Spring Ride 07

I know that everyone's enjoying Nozaki raking this demographic of romance over the coals, but I hope that doesn't mean that the genuine article can't be appreciated. I'm liking this show a lot more than I expected I would, and that remains at least consistent with every passing week. Basically an extended look into Futaba's mind this week as she ponders about what to do, but that's what makes her an interesting character for me. She's trying to make herself unattractive, and yet the more she does it, it can be seen as taking down a facade instead of putting up one. She's unintentionally letting Kou see who she really is, and her real self is not a terrible person at all. I hope Yuuri comes out of this okay. Next week will decide... not everything, but it'll certainly be a major turning point.

mankoto

Seirei tsukai no blade dance

It's really weird to see a serie that doesn't seems to have cohesion or clear rules that are understood by everybody.

I don't even understand WHY everyone is intrested.

GENERIC, CLICHE , PREDICTABLE

I'll start another arc to see where it's going but ... not getting my hopes up.

If anything, I highly suggest turning off every part of your brain when watching this. It's generic done wrong and there is honestly no hope for it.

Seirei tsukai no blade dance - 05

You know i asked right above for at least 1 person in the cast to have good reason to be intrested in our hero .. and i certainly wouldn't expect the anime to introduce a new character who has , this time a good reason to be intrested in our hero.
even if well she had to sort her feeligns a little bit before that .
Seirei%20Tsukai%20no%20Blade%20Dance%20-%2005_01.jpg
Seirei%20Tsukai%20no%20Blade%20Dance%20-%2005_02.jpg

No , this isn't what you think this mean.
So yes , that flashback was alright. I'm happy to see that so this make the motivation for our new character clear and MUCH more intresting to follow. The fact that she didn't jump on him , make this serie a little less generic .. Damn they should continue on this path of avoiding generic tropes even if they HAVE a lot of things to change in order to get to that point.

Anyway,
So it's blade dance festival preparations !
Business as usual , the VERY SAME BLANTER as in episode 3 , donw the same words and concluding to the same outcome ( is this padding ? ) , i'm usually very resistant to this kind of thing , but in blade dance it just feel out of place.
I did like however the fact that their opponent in the battle used a ar tonelico technique ( protect the caster while she unleashes her big spell ) and the little animation was above average.It was a good focus on the story for the fact that the cast has to get together. It would have been much better if ...

.... everything wasn't so obvious in term of story and if those 2 characters above weren't so pridefull . Trully a waste of time for EVERYONE , for us the viewers , for themselves as characters , how i wish that they get over it quickly .

Finally , to the people of STNBD and everyone who might have read the books ( i haven't ) can you guys explain to me how ....
Seirei%20Tsukai%20no%20Blade%20Dance%20-%2005_03.jpg

Problem here
How 2 moons of the same shape can happen ? I know this is fantasy , i know this is a world of magic , BUT this can't happen.
If 2 objects can be seen that means that they aren't close , so this mean that they don't have the same position so this means that they can't reflect the same amount of light.
Just saying .
Yes that was a glorious nitpick but i've started to nitpick this to try to counter the genericness of this show... it works.

You know i asked right above for at least 1 person in the cast to have good reason to be intrested in our hero .. and i certainly wouldn't expect the anime to introduce a new character who has , this time a good reason to be intrested in our hero.

So yes , that flashback was alright. I'm happy to see that so this make the motivation for our new character clear and MUCH more intresting to follow. The fact that she didn't jump on him , make this serie a little less generic .. Damn they should continue on this path of avoiding generic tropes even if they HAVE a lot of things to change in order to get to that point.

Anyway,
Business as usual , the VERY SAME BLANTER as in episode 3 , donw the same words and concluding to the same outcome ( is this padding ? ) , i'm usually very resistant to this kind of thing , but in blade dance it just feel out of place.
I did like however the fact that their opponent in the battle used a ar tonelico technique ( protect the caster while she unleashes her big spell ) and the little animation was above average.It was a good focus on the story for the fact that the cast has to get together. It would have been much better if ...

.... everything wasn't so obvious in term of story and if those 2 characters above weren't so pridefull . Trully a waste of time for EVERYONE , for us the viewers , for themselves as characters , how i wish that they get over it quickly .

Finally , to the people of STNBD and everyone who might have read the books ( i haven't ) can you guys explain to me how ....

How 2 moons of the same shape can happen ? I know this is fantasy , i know this is a world of magic , BUT this can't happen.
If 2 objects can be seen that means that they aren't close , so this mean that they don't have the same position so this means that they can't reflect the same amount of light.
Just saying .
Yes that was a glorious nitpick but i've started to nitpick this to try to counter the genericness of this show... it works.

Why watch the show if it's so generic.

Jex

Hanamonogatari

As mentioned above, I give you a catalogue of SHAFT/Shinbo shots that can be mixed and match to create any episode of a SHAFT series:

Big Head & Extreme Close Up

White Ben Day Dark Foreground & One Big Object

Small Fig Ben Day & Depth

Cast Shadows & Side Light or Top

Reflection & White Ben Day & Silh

Newspaper/TV & Contrast

Now lets not pretend this is all SHAFT have to offer! After all they are innovators so let me present the other famous SHAFT shots they have in their vocabulary:

Top Down Shot & Inverted Shot

Lets not forget the most deliciously money saving shot of them all, the Extremely Long Shot

If I missed any please let me know!

Jarmel

Banned
Hanamonogatari-1

This was lazy and boring as fuck. There was almost zero animation for a good portion of the episode and so much of the dialogue is going over itself. We figured out she was a counselor early on so why does the show feel the need to drone on for minutes covering the exact same material? The only interesting worldplay was at the beginning while the rest was very boring setup.

Horrid episode on multiple levels. There was no energy at all in the episode, including the OP which is just drab.

Why watch the show if it's so generic.

Because i don't hate the show despite the fact that things are so predictable.

I don't watch shows i dislike. ( the only exception is blade and soul , because i believed that there would be a pay off and there wasn't one )

And i don't mock shows just because... There are some things that show premise in STNBD and for this reason i haven't dropped it. The last show i've dropped ( railwars last night ) i dropped it because i didn't like the premise and the execution.
Blade dance is different.. It's generic but as of episode 5 , the show clearly didn't provide the main guns and the main reason for the things going on.so i continued , because as generic as it feels , it's not bad ..just some plot holes here and there and the Standard LN harem stupidity.nothing that can kill a show.

-----------------------------------
Seirei tsukai no blade dance - 06

So i take back what i thought of the new character , the princess was ok for a good part of the episode , not only she wasn't agressive at first but she didn't fall in the long lost childhood friend trope...so it was cool to see her interract with the hero.... untill she met claire.
And then her character lost points in my eyes.... i didn't want to see a harem blanter with 2 girls fighting to get "the prize"
I DIDN't ASK FOR THIS
Seirei%20Tsukai%20no%20Blade%20Dance%20-%2006.jpg

THANK YOU HEADMASTER , that was NEEDED

So , another antagonist joined the battle , this time much more intresting , the new guy look like a good all around fighter , i like the design and i like his moves... he is a great antagonist so far , with motivations , with style !i hope he stay revelant for a long time..

This anime need to remove the limiter everyone has on themselves , it's getting ridiculous

PS: I can bet this anime is going to be kotaku'ed next month by that guy..... i can feel it !

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 2
In the beginning of the episode Tsubomi was having a ton of trouble controlling her powers. But endanger her friend and destroy a cluster of flowers and you've got a strong fighter on your hands. Erika is saved and the two become friends as a result.

A few things to take away from this episode:

-Tsubomi's grandmother was a Precure herself. Presumably Cure Flower.

-We had a nameless guy in glasses and a red scarf come in and save Tsubomi at one point. We'll more than likely be seeing him a lot.

-When a Heart Flower is saved the fairies can potentially excrete Heart Seeds (how they expect the viewer to take that with a straight face, I have no idea).

After a summer of internship I'm back in my home sweet home. No more fighting the internet past 9pm because everybody is in the hotel. Now I have internet 24/7 again. Awww yiss midnight animu with no issues.

Midonin

Marimite ~Printemps~ 07-09

I saw a reply to me yesterday that this is indeed Yumi's story, but I can't talk about Yumi and Sachiko because they haven't exactly been in the spotlight that much this season. Here we have three episodes in a row that are focused on Shimako, the repercussions of Sei leaving her behind and newcomer Noriko. The idea of a Buddhist girl who wants to be a Christian and a girl with Christian relatives who's more of a Buddhist is an intriguing proposition. Japan's not as overtly spiritual as the west, and in that regard, I'm glad to see the school being accepting of Noriko's true self and Shimako's hidden self. It took some time for Noriko to be accepted - Shimako's entire arc has taken up a majority of this season, but I am enjoying it.

And then there's Touko. A drill-haired Kugyuu has appeared, and she acts just as one would expect a Kugimiya character to behave. She made it clear that she loves playing the villain. While I don't hate her, I will admit she's a tsundere, with the tsun for Yumi and the dere for Sachiko. Not a whole lot of screentime to go on, though.

I'm pretty happy that the next episode goes back to the Yellow Rose family. That may mean I have unusual tastes, but I'm okay. Yoshino's a great character, can't wait to see more of her.

Phatmac

So after a main character got injured badly they spent all of it in a hospital that involved hi jinks with repeated gags that seem really out of place. It felt like a comedy episode that was pretty much a filler since the story didn't move at all. This show could be much better but it does a lot of stupid stuff.

CorvoSol

That actually was the ending.

Yeah, I kinda figured that had to be what was going on. Kinda felt like the most interesting part of the episode was Ougi. Hoping things get more intense soon, though, since Kanbaru was the object of multiple gambits going on during S2.

Sabagebu 7
The dangers of vermin
The dangers of crossdressing and then picking off rice of a cute girl's cheek
The dangers of having a mother
who is clearly a secret spy or just plain crazy

Erigu

[Hanamonogatari]
Ah, makes sense as I thought it was kinda weird they would invert Hajime Ueda's art for the OP.
And the singer wasn't Kanbaru's voice actress either.

Maybe they figured the opening worked better than the ending at the end of the story, but then that left no place for the actual ending song (not with all five episodes merged together like that), so...
I don't know, I guess we'll see how the individual episodes handle that in the Blu-ray/DVD version...

Hapiness CHHAAAAAAAAAAARGE PRECURE - 28

Hapiness charge 28 episodes and still good.

CURE HONEY , you win.. and mean it .. you win there was a moment when i thought you'd be paired with fortune , but this isn't even needed . Cure honey , yuu yuu , you're so damn good as a character , so fun to watch , so intresting to see in all the other character dynamics. And as a fight you're also top notch , healing , attack boost , defense boosts , AND STAR NUKE FROM ORBIT FINISHER... there is nothing to add

BUt this episode ? Classic yet excellent.

French Precure ( hell YES ) , her name is "Merci precure" ( oh hell yes ) her attack is "pinceau arc-en-ciel" ( goddam YESS )
This episode starts fine.... and then CURE MARINE !!! As expected , Cure marine introductions are so special and unique , they nailed it. and the the whole sub plot with the hawai precure was superb.Including yuu teaching them friendship with those miraculous honey "bonbons".

Happiness.Charge.Precure.28.jpg

So Good , so pure , so "yuu", you're the best yuu !!!
So good , Yuu is the most adorable , shining , balanced character of the whole PRECURE-verse... this is trully incredible and i LOVE IT !!!!

Link Man

Banned
Hanayamata 7

ibzSKAQKPO6kWA.jpg

Sally-chan is amazing.

lol, Hana's tail wagging.

SDBurton would love this!

Poor Yaya. ;_;

lol, the price for the naruko.

I love this show so much. Will definitely get it on bluray.

lol, even the preview is amazing.

cajunator

Banned
Barakamon Episode 7

I said this once I'll say it again this show is the best of the season. Like who would of thought fishing could be so wonderful. The comedy was great and the way this episode conveyed it's message was splendid. Seeing Handa's character grow further more adds so much and makes it so enjoyable. Interactions between characters and seeing their reaction faces was wonderful as well. This episode has made my day.

And damn why is Hina so cute.
tumblr_nago30Dy6T1txotz6o1_500.gif

This is also why Naru's amazing.
tumblr_nafkadlNK61thn3fyo1_500.gif

Hehee I like the Sparta gif. Naru is so silly and adorable. I want to jump off a dock like she did in the first episode with that same crazy face and everything.

Truly anime physics can achieve anything. I recall that scene in Sakura Trick too...
But animators might not get out much and experience actual physics so perhaps it can be tolerated.

Usagi Drop Ep. 1

This was pleasant. Though it felt a little rushed that she would have gone with him so soon.

Oh this show is heartwarming. You might even enjoy it.

I just noticed that the Sunrider game was put on Steam by the people doing all the new VNs:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/313730/
w3cYBU1l.jpg

I'm actually enjoying it, inasmuch as it is a silly anime scifi game. I have no idea if it's because Mass Effect ruined the genre for me and now any scifi is good, or if the game itself is good on its own. But hey, even if it manages to hit as many cliches as I can imagine in a SF story, it's silly enough to play and it's free.

Besides, there's a tsundere:
IA6CWyJl.jpg

It also has a light SRPG mode as well, which is okay I suppose. But you could always turn the game to "novel mode" and just blaze through those without giving it a second though.

Ewwww. Character designs are REALLY generic. Do not want.

Honestly I think Nozaki may just be asexual.

Its possible. If it were real life I'd say yes. Then again, even I would probably go on a date with Chiyo for the hell of it. Shes so adorable.

fertygo

Aria the Origination - 07

Damn, Grandma when she young is a looker, she even more dreamy than Alicia yo.. wow. And you telling me Aria's sacchou is like 50 year old? sheittttttt

And that last scene, why this show always made my heart throbbing hard.. those stare from all the senpai brimming with expectation to Akari.. I'm blushing so hard.

Aria the Origination - 08

You can't fool Alicia yo, dem ara ara looking into your soul. To be honest Athena is kinda dick with that trolling act, don't make your junior cry!
Somehow Akari and Alicia stole the eps with their teasing in the end, fuck man.. this show playing with me.

Aria the Origination - 09

Wow.. just, this show man.. like previous episode its sending telegraph to you in halfway to tell what the episode about, its goddamn effective because its instantly made you anxious to that climax.

So its begin, the graduation phase.. man its possibly kill me.

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 1

Not sure how I feel about the new animation. It's definitely cleaner, but Lucy is off a little bit, same with Erza. Will have to watch more than an episode to feel it out more, as I just watched 175 episodes of the original stuff >_>

and the freaking Magic Games are STILL going on? >_>

Hanamonogatari - 01>

Hype CONFIRMED. I liked it .

I love it !
Shaft way of handling this show is really so stupid ..but it works yet again.

cajunator

Banned

Its like they know tomboy is default best girl so they focus on the other girls to give them a chance. Im going to enjoy this so much!

Not in Japan, he's not. The age of consent is 13, and even with municipal obscenity laws in Tokyo although Usagi couldn't marry him until she is 16 as long as they are in a romantic relationship (whatever that means) there's no problem with a sexual relationship.

This is why Japanese stuff has such a problem getting a foothold in the US market and why kids shows get so heavily edited.
Too many cultural differences accepted as the norm there but frowned upon or thought differently here. I dont think the situation will ever truly resolve.
Its aggravating though.

squeeeeeee

Guys, a friend of mine recommended that I should watch the Monogatari series (Bake, Nise, etc). However, I watched the first episode and thought that the girl that appeared (Senjōgahara, I think) is very, very irritating. My friends love her, but I couldn't stand her.

Should I give the anime another chance? Thanks in advance.

Bakemonagatari has a lot of goddess Senjou, but if you dontl ike her, the show is still pretty fascinating. Nisemonagatari as a lot more focus on the other girls so you might enjoy that better!

I've finished sunrider and i really liked it too !
It reminded me of the galaxy angel games( they are different from the anime ) With a different scale... and yeah the srpg portion is good. It's rough arond the edges but the challenge is real if you're not playing on easy.
The plot is very simple but there is nothing wrong with it and i like that the choices do change some missions and some girls attitudes.
Given the price , everyone should try it.

Actually she is nothing like her. She is the genius engineer , that serve as a healing-type support unit and can upgrade things mac-gyver style. As firehawk pointed out , there is another girl that is more like rei and ever her in a couple of hours had more dialog than rei in the entire evangelion saga.

Ive never played them but I love Galaxy Angel anime. How do those games play?
Also Galaxy Angel has way more interesting looking characters than this.

Im gonna play with this toy later. thanks!

Who's the first one?

We need more asshole MCs though.

One of the first such protags I saw was the guy from He is my Master. Dude was a hedonist and the three girls dress up as maids and generally do stuff to please him. No its not hentai but sometimes it pushes the boundaries of fanservice lol. But that guy was a kind of likeable jerk imo.

OOOOOOOH
*excite

I notice some modern releases never seem to get blurays...do some shows just not show in HD in Japan?

I notice too. Usually I hold out until a bluray is announced. Im losing hope with Future diary though. Anyone know if that even has a chance of a bluray?
Should I just get DVD now?

So I was listening to a podcast which happened to be mentioning the works of SHAFT's Shinbo and one of the hosts said that Shinbo's shots reminded him greatly of Wally Wood's 22 panels - 22 panels that are good for any situation where you just have a bunch of people boring and you need to spice things up a little. I'm sure you'll recognise most of these shots from stuff you've read and watched:

[Click to Enlarge]

"Shinbo"/"SHAFT" mostly seem to favour the extreme close-up as well as the frame, but they're all fairly common.

These are always fascinating insights and I appreciate you showing them.

*talks on phone with dead battery while cradling a carving knife*

Hehee. a normal reaction to the show.

Really hoping the Madan no Ou to Vanadis anime adaption turns out as well as No Game No Life did.

If it goes down the Magical Warfare route, I'm going to be pretty upset.

If its anythingl ike No Game No Life it will be a pleasure to watch. However that is a lofty ambition!

Finally saw an episode of Smile Precure and Heartcatch Precure. I've decided on Heartcure. The stylized opening just drew me in along with Erika's loud and "ME TOO!," personality. Although that isn't to say I won't watch Smile. Smile does have it's points like Candy being adorable and the questions regarding happiness.

Stick with Heartcatch for now. I love Erika (everybody does) but I wasnt so fond of the art style in HC. But thats not a popular opinion.

Yes!!!!!!!
SentaiFilmworks' latest acquisition, The Ambition of Oda Nobuna.
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-licenses-the-ambition-of-oda

Been meaning to see this at some point. It looks so crazy.

Anyway,

Just saying .

It does look super generic. Maybe too much so for my tastes. I like a cute art style of course but I want characters to stand out and this seems to have the same problem as Ro Kyu Bu for example with extremely VN generic looking character designs that are instantly forgettable.

Hanamonogatari

As mentioned above, I give you a catalogue of SHAFT/Shinbo shots that can be mixed and match to create any episode of a SHAFT series:

Big Head & Extreme Close Up

White Ben Day Dark Foreground & One Big Object

Small Fig Ben Day & Depth

Cast Shadows & Side Light or Top

Reflection & White Ben Day & Silh

Newspaper/TV & Contrast

Now lets not pretend this is all SHAFT have to offer! After all they are innovators so let me present the other famous SHAFT shots they have in their vocabulary:

Top Down Shot & Inverted Shot

Lets not forget the most deliciously money saving shot of them all, the Extremely Long Shot

If I missed any please let me know!

SO GOOD.
Shaft is god.

After a summer of internship I'm back in my home sweet home. No more fighting the internet past 9pm because everybody is in the hotel. Now I have internet 24/7 again. Awww yiss midnight animu with no issues.

Winning.

Hanayamata 7

ibzSKAQKPO6kWA.jpg

Sally-chan is amazing.

lol, Hana's tail wagging.

SDBurton would love this!

Poor Yaya. ;_;

lol, the price for the naruko.

I love this show so much. Will definitely get it on bluray.

lol, even the preview is amazing.

OH MY GOD.
I must watch this tomorrow!!!

mankoto

Hanamonogatari 1
How I missed the Monogatari series with its fraction of a second text boxes, how I missed the ludicrous and unexplainable changes of scenery, the 20+ minutes of straight up dialogue and exposition. It's just so good.

Jex

[Hanamonogatari] - 1

It occurs to me that I didn't actually discuss what I thought of this episode. While I won't go as far as Jarmel it did feel extremely perfunctory. SHAFT essential assembles this show in their production factory by sticking a number of pre-defined shots together into a series of images which audio then plays on top of. While there are occasions where the imagery and the story connect, for the most part it feels somewhat disconnected. All the director is seeking to do is keep your brain occupied so that you didn't get bored by all the talking.

The one element of this that I haven't touched upon is the editing, namely the placement of fairly different looking shots (from a mise-en-scene perspective) next to each other so that we cut from a natural shot with organic elements to a cold shot of rectangular buildings. This contrast also helps to keep the brain busy at it notices these various obvious cuts. I'd normally posit that the director had some greater meaning behind this unusual editing style, after all classical film editing attempts to be seamless while these edits always draw attention tot themselves. However, in this case, I doubt there's any real reason behind this editing style beyond "keep things from getting too boring".

But I don't really watch this show for the direction (save the occasional sequence), like most viewers I'm interested in the story and the banter between characters. On that front, there was precious little that I cared about but then again, most of these arcs open extremely slowly, or at least they have done ever since Bakemonogatari.

cajunator

Banned
[Hanamonogatari] - 1

It occurs to me that I didn't actually discuss what I thought of this episode. While I won't go as far as Jarmel it did feel extremely perfunctory. SHAFT essential assembles this show in their production factory by sticking a number of pre-defined shots together into a series of images which audio then plays on top of. While there are occasions where the imagery and the story connect, for the most part it feels somewhat disconnected.

But I don't really watch this show for the direction (save the occasional sequence), like most viewers I'm interested in the story and the banter between characters. On that front, there was precious little that I cared about but then again, most of these arcs open extremely slowly, or at least they have done ever since Bakemonogatari.

It does seem to take a couple of episodes per series to "ramp up" to the interesting bits. ThougH I was captivated with Senjou from moment one.

CorvoSol

I like Kanbaru and all but I'm going to be honest. The main reason I'm interested in watching Hanamonogatari has nothing to do with her and everything to do with finding out
1)If Kaiki is okay and 2)What his connection is to Kanbaru's family.

mankoto

Stick with Heartcatch for now. I love Erika (everybody does) but I wasnt so fond of the art style in HC. But thats not a popular opinion.
Yeah I started a few episodes of HeartCatch. I want to finish it this week and start Smile next week because it looked really promising.

Jex

I like Kanbaru and all but I'm going to be honest. The main reason I'm interested in watching Hanamonogatari has nothing to do with her and everything to do with finding out
1)If Kaiki is okay and 2)What his connection is to Kanbaru's family.

I know nothing about the books but
I'm certain Kaiki is dead. The creator/being that Shinobu encountered which acts when oddities abandon their traditional role clearly struck him down after all, he was acting 'out of character'. Beyond that, the series can't have two Araragi's and, more importantly, he'd fulfilled his role in the narrative.

Blue Blazes 4-5

After the first episode that left me cold, I enjoyed the rest much better, they were definitively funnier. The main character is the typical artist student that believes himself so much superior to the rest, a true artist, his success is a sure thing, but then discover there are other people that are better than him, that his perfectionism paralyses him, his hubris makes him not take the challenges seriously, he isn't really that good but a decent talented amateur, but he lies the others and himself in hilarious ways, while doubting about his path in life, flip flopping from one decision to another. His dreams of being archenemy of Anno (though only him sees it) is also pretty funny.

pinon95k2o1_500_zps494f1399.gif

Mokoi

Banned
I'm certain Kaiki is dead. The creator/being that Shinobu encountered which acts when oddities abandon their traditional role clearly struck him down after all, he was acting 'out of character'. Beyond that, the series can't have two Araragi's and, more importantly, he'd fulfilled his role in the narrative.

I don't think
the creator black blob thing had anything to do with kaiki's death. If I remember correctly I thought it only attacked spirits or whatever type of being Sninobu/snail is.
Although I could definitely be wrong.

Ive never played them but I love Galaxy Angel anime. How do those games play?
Also Galaxy Angel has way more interesting looking characters than this.
The galaxy angel games Have 2 modes , the classic Vn mode where you decide whereto go on a map , who to talk too and the choices during dialog.There is break time mecanic where there is 1 hour of "free time" for you the commander where you can decide to start a conversation with a memebr of your crew .
Each dialog will deplete that free time ( usually 1 hour ) and some event influence the other event available ( some events with 2 girls are only possible if you've talked to both enough time and so on ). After a session like this ends ( your hour is depleted ) , the story continues.

The second gameplay is the space battle gameplay .
You can see an example of it here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIha1475Iag

The gameplay is as follows . You the player is called Tact sadly he isn't in any of the anime series and your task is to lead the angel team. Forte is still the leader of the squad BUT your are the commander of the fleet. The fleet is composed of Your big space ship and each angel spaceship. In battle mode you see everything from a top down view in 3D and you can give orders to each of the characters. You can choose to keep the 3D top down view or follow each angel directly ( the battle system is fully 3D so you can move the camera as you wish ) .
The thing is .. the angel and their frame only perform well when their pilot is in good condition so in the Vn portion you have to make sure to raise the moral of your team as high as possible , because if you don't in the battle mode , their performance is much lower . You can see in the video that everyone react to each order , and they react in real time to what happens ( if they suceed an order, if they don't , if they need repairs , if they need fuel , the system is pretty vocal ) of course you have to take into account , the travel time for the order , it's not that difficult and it's well done IMO.

SUNRIDER has almost the same gameplay ( with some changes ) except that it's not real time , but grid based in the side view présentation.
It does look super generic. Maybe too much so for my tastes. I like a cute art style of course but I want characters to stand out and this seems to have the same problem as Ro Kyu Bu for example with extremely VN generic looking character designs that are instantly forgettable.
I have to admit , i didn't like the designs when i first put my eyes on the project.
I mean seriously , the designs ARE not appealing at all. However , the writing is solid , even if it's a little cliché and the gameplay has something for everyone. ( 3 difficulties )
There is nothing wrong with giving the game a chance more than 5 minutes.
Heck the battle system is also voiced. The design is generic , hell yes , but it's still a game that at his core is good.
What other studio could even pull off the monagatari series without making it boring?
I don't know shaft has started it like this , so i can't answer my opinion is biased. Hey i don't hate shaft présentation.

Well , given by how the books are written i can tell that
He is not confirmed to be dead. that doesn't mean that he isn't dead , just not confirmed. Changing the POV is done very often and kaiki could come back. given the writter , everything is possible

Mr.Jeff

Aria the Origination - 09

Wow.. just, this show man.. like previous episode its sending telegraph to you in halfway to tell what the episode about, its goddamn effective because its instantly made you anxious to that climax.

So its begin, the graduation phase.. man its possibly kill me.
Ahhh here we go. Another victim about to lay before the altar of firehawk. I hope you enjoy the next 4 episodes. No punches are held in this roller-coaster of emotions that is the finale. From how you've reacted thus far, you'll be feeling misty-eyed about this for a while afterwards.

I imagine this is how people onlooking a fresh victim watching School Days must feel but in a less sinister way.

Log Horizon - 20
I'm skipping a lot of impressions because it would just be me saying how good it is but I feel I have to mention the sheer hilarity of this episode.
Rudy's life is quite literally saved by signing a Terms of Service contract. For the sheer balls of that analogy I have to applaud the authour heartily.

About the only qualm I have about the second series is I hear mention of an idol. That tends to ring alarm bells. We shall see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom