• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nozaki-kun 7

This was excellent. Everything in the mall was hilarious, and Mikorin is even more amazing then before.

No, I'm not judging it in comparison to School Days, shush.

It even had a school day themed joke! (Though it's not based on school days. Probably.)

mankoto

Space Dandy S2 7
So they have a alien named Johnny, with his VA being Johnny Youg Bosch... Hmmm

The whole Rock theme makes me want to retry Beck. I didn't like it as much as a kid, maybe now will be different.

Jex

Duckroll recently due to my attention a episode of The Pegbar and Grill podcast (a podcast that focuses on interviewing people who work in animation) where they talk to Aya Suzuki, a English/Japanese animator who worked on The Illusionist, Wolf's Children, The Dream Machine and The Wind Rises, among other things.

This is probably one of the more informative interviews I've had on what it's like to work in the anime industry as it covers stuff like working hours, pay, working conditions, work flow, staffing, skill expectations etc etc. It's all very interesting.

Probably my favourite extract from the episode was when they asked Aya whether Hayo Miyazaki had seen The Illusionist and she said "He doesn't watch movies." "Takahata watches movies".

I really hope that means they are picking up Engaged to the Unidentified. I need a Bluray of that show!

They already did license that, but no idea on Blu-ray coming out same day with the DVDs. Sentai only uses screenshots from series they licensed on social media sites to my knowledge.

mankoto

Akame ga Kill 6
I might have to re-read the chapter again, but if it was like this in the manga as well then
Sheele didn't have to die. She could've just killed JUSTICE right then and there and that would've been the end.

I notice some modern releases never seem to get blurays...do some shows just not show in HD in Japan?

Reverse-importation fears by the Japanese licensors. Most of Sentai's DVD-only (sub) releases in the past are starting to get Blu-ray releases, and sometimes come with an English dub.

Jex

So I was listening to a podcast which happened to be mentioning the works of SHAFT's Shinbo and one of the hosts said that Shinbo's shots reminded him greatly of Wally Wood's 22 panels - 22 panels that are good for any situation where you just have a bunch of people boring and you need to spice things up a little. I'm sure you'll recognise most of these shots from stuff you've read and watched:

[Click to Enlarge]
wally_woods_22_panels.jpg

"Shinbo"/"SHAFT" mostly seem to favour the extreme close-up as well as the frame, but they're all fairly common.

Shergal

So I was listening to a podcast which happened to be mentioning the works of SHAFT's Shinbo and one of the hosts said that Shinbo's shots reminded him greatly of Wally Wood's 22 panels - 22 panels that are good for any situation where you just have a bunch of people boring and you need to spice things up a little. I'm sure you'll recognise most of these shots from stuff you've read and watched:

[Click to Enlarge]

"Shinbo"/"SHAFT" mostly seem to favour the extreme close-up as well as the frame, but they're all fairly common.

I disapprove of this because it advocates using style to cover for a lack of substance. I always knew Shinbo was up to no good!

Antiwhippy

The dialogue in the monogatari series is the substance. I actually find it interesting how they stylised the scenes of people doing nothing except for talking.

[Click to Enlarge]

The shocking truth, revealed at last!

More than the specifics of them preferring one or the other, I think the bigger point here is their aversion of just having a normal scene where character A talks to B, I suppose because they know they Monogatari novels are 90% that, two characters talking. Sso they jump all over the places between all panels and more, playing with shadows, light, camera position, objects, poses, textures, etc and in the end they surpass what they needed to make the scene not boring, and the style starts eating ground to the substance.

Antiwhippy

The shocking truth, revealed at last!

More than the specifics of them preferring one or the other, I think the bigger point here is their aversion of just having a normal scene where character A talks to B, I suppose because they know they Monogatari novels are 90% that, two characters talking. Sso they jump all over the places between all panels and more, playing with shadows, light, camera position, objects, poses, textures, etc and in the end they surpass what they needed to make the scene not boring, and the style starts eating ground to the substance.

Eh, I think that's what makes shaft shows fun though. The style in stuff like sayonara zetsubou sensei and hidemari sketch can get so overwhelming that you can enjoy it for the animation alone.

I think they struck the best balance with soredemo overall.

Midonin

Blade Dance 06

Fianna and Claire's cooking battle was over before it began, really. The stuff about the demon lord is interesting. It makes Kamito into more of a male version of Fino from Yuushibu, if we're going by recent role models. As far as fantasy romcom anime go, Invaders is making more of an impression, but I can't say there's a whole lot that I dislike about this either.

So AnimeGaf if you had to choose an anime for Fall Season. Which one could you see as being the best of the season? Take your guess.

ALL MY MONEY ON BUILD FIGHTERS S2
Side pot to Log Horizon S2 or Parasyte

------------------------------------------

Gundam-san 07

Himegoto 07

Swimming episode, you can probably guess what happens.
AND MORE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT JEEZ SLOW DOWN HIMEGOTO

mankoto

Akame ga Kill 7
Tatsumi understands how it feels to lose a comrades in arms and strengthens his resolve to get stronger. Bulot, realizing this decides to take him under his wing for a while...
I really hate how in the manga it always throws the fact in your face that someone is about to die whenever a fight starts up.

Midonin

So many to choose from.

For me, Shirobako, Yuyuyu, Sora no Method and spread Wixoss are my frontrunners for my favorite shows of the season.

So AnimeGaf if you had to choose an anime for Fall Season. Which one could you see as being the best of the season? Take your guess.

Girlfriend (Kari)

An anime adaptation of the mobile game "Girlfriend (Kari)", a game where the player has a girlfriend.

Though a pretty pointless question. No idea how shows like Shirobako or Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso will turn out.

Kieli

Parasyte. Mushishi could also be a contender, but I've never watched it.

If voting for most enjoyable (not necessarily "best"), then Nanatsu no Taizai.

Midonin

M3 18

Now the truth really is revealed. Fits with everything else seen so far. Figures that the morally ambiguous scientist would be morally ambiguous up until the end, and then just get rid of the "ambiguous" part.

Ok, I just finished Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, but I'll write my review later today. Right now I'm going to power through the first 14 episodes of SAO so I can get the game tomorrow and not get spoiled.

Really hoping the Madan no Ou to Vanadis anime adaption turns out as well as No Game No Life did.

If it goes down the Magical Warfare route, I'm going to be pretty upset.

So I guess Parasyte and Mushishi might be best of the season.

And also since Parasyte is being backed by MadHouse chances are it will be great unless they screw up. Though going from the PV the animation looks great.

School Days 12 HELL YEAH I FINALLY FINISHED IT!!!

Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

So, this series seems to be born from the question, "What would happen if we adapted every arc from a Visual Novel into a single, 12-episode anime?" The answer, of course, is a lot of broken hearts, a boring, meandering plot, and batshit insanity. Makoto ends up being a sex god to all the girls for no good reason, the girls end up desperate for his attention, to the point of delusion. Kotonoha is continuously shat upon for no reason whatsoever, I mean, nobody at all is nice to her throughout the entire series (except her little sister, of course), so it's understandable that she would eventually break. Pretty much everybody else is a jerk (
really, taping sex then showing it to all the girls?
). And on top of that, Makoto just keeps on cheating with everybody, never being honest with the girls who are so desperate for him, to the point that the viewer is left frustrated. Watching this show is like repeatedly banging your head on a table. It's like ripping your nails out one by one. It gets to the point that when the all the pent-up frustration boils over, you're cheering
for Makoto's death
, you're laughing
at Kotonoha carrying around Makoto's severed head
, and you don't even care when
Kotonoha slices open Sekai's womb
. This show is irredeemable, and I am glad to be rid of it.

The nice boat sails once again.

I just noticed that the Sunrider game was put on Steam by the people doing all the new VNs:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/313730/
w3cYBU1l.jpg

I'm actually enjoying it, inasmuch as it is a silly anime scifi game. I have no idea if it's because Mass Effect ruined the genre for me and now any scifi is good, or if the game itself is good on its own. But hey, even if it manages to hit as many cliches as I can imagine in a SF story, it's silly enough to play and it's free.

Besides, there's a tsundere:
IA6CWyJl.jpg

It also has a light SRPG mode as well, which is okay I suppose. But you could always turn the game to "novel mode" and just blaze through those without giving it a second though.

I played that game for like, five minutes before I lost interest. Everything about it just felt so low-key, lol. Just didn't feel right to play after playing games like Fire Emblem Awakening and Super Robot Wars.

Midonin

Hanayamata 07

Hanayamata's drama is certainly pretty high-key, but I've never felt once that it's to the series' detriment. The passions of youth are flowing through this series, and I genuinely feel this may be my series of the season. The text at the end of the previous episode hinted at what was to come this episode, and even knowing how it would play out, the anticipation made it hurt that much more. As with everything in this series, it's a beautiful kind of hurting. The friendship between Yaya and Naru is real. Sally's attempts at being an advisor/coach/producer were also pretty great, as was the cutaway for how Hannah got some assistance for the club.

Seirei tsukai no blade dance - 04

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?

There are just too many problems i have for this episode .

THE PLOT
I didn't talk much about the plot in my previous reactions , but that was because i wanted the anime to answer some questions so i could know what direction it would take. With the end of the first arc , there are just too many things that i find stupid.

Claire is in despair as of episode 3 , because she lost her contracted spirit ( that was close to her ) , no problem with that... despite that loss and DESPITE that she was weak and is now WEAKER , she still decide to enter a blade dance tournament and then ...
Seirei%20Tsukai%20no%20Blade%20Dance%20-%2004.jpg

facepalm.jpg
Claire , you just , THE NIGHT BEFORE lost your partner because you were weak ..ARE YOU DUMB ?
I MEAN IT . ARE YOU FREAKING DUMB ?

Well no matter , in episode 3 she met "restia" that seems to be our main antagonist that gave her a berserk spirit.

Wait? So she went to a fighting tournament , with a spirit that isn't hers, that she doesn't know the power and she never tried to use it before. ???

FACEPALM (x2)

So , our hero arrive on the scene just as other spirits start to go berserk ( how convenient ) and the public evacuates and i mean EVERYONE, the puiblic disapeared , the other contestant disapeared for no reasons , the knight in charge of security were nowhere to be seen.. wait ...wait ? Wasn't that a big magical fighting tournament in the middle of the city ? You're telling NO ONE , NO ONE stayed in the coliseum ?
I mean the 7 other fighters just went off ? JUST LIKE THAT ? is this for real ?

So our heroine , snapped out of it by the hero understand that she was wrong and they do stuff to calm the spirits .
And then our main antagonist just decided to come and say "hello" ok , it's established since episode 2 that she is the scheming type, so why not but one thing buggued me in this scene.
No it's not the kiss , no it's not the tsundere , no it's not that they are chatting as normal in a colapsing coliseum because a giant golem is rampaging inside it .
It's this :
Claire spirit named scarlet is a fire spirit that manifest in the form of a whip. It's so magical that she can summon it with her powers.
BUT SHE FOUGHT WITH THE WHIP at the start of the tournament !
Why did you think that you've lost your spirit and partner , if you still had the WHIP ! Were you too dumb to do 1+1 = 2 ? You were sad that you've lost your spirit , but you have the proof that your spirit is just fine in your HANDS ?

I'll stop there ... STNBD is filled with things like this ... it's really weird to see a serie that doesn't seems to have cohesion or clear rules that are understood by everybody.

I don't even understand WHY everyone is intrested.
Claire, maybe ok , but Ellis & rinslet , why ? JUST WHY?

Knight leader is depicted as pure yet hardworkingbut so far the MC hasn't done anything for her to change her attitude that much ?

THE ANIMATION

i'"ll be bref ... the camera angles , the animation , the background , EVERYTHING IS GENERIC
The whole look is simplistic , and SO MANY SCENES ARE STATIC ..i can't believe that in a coliseum - liek area we had this.
What's the point of an anime about "blade dances" if the animation is so poor ?
THE REST

GENERIC, CLICHE , PREDICTABLE

I'll start another arc to see where it's going but ... not getting my hopes up.

mankoto

Finally saw an episode of Smile Precure and Heartcatch Precure. I've decided on Heartcure. The stylized opening just drew me in along with Erika's loud and "ME TOO!," personality. Although that isn't to say I won't watch Smile. Smile does have it's points like Candy being adorable and the questions regarding happiness.

Woah lets not get to crazy here

Well they are better at manga adaptions than VN and LN adaptions. Though I guess that doesn't add much, but it's just that I've been looking for a good psychological and horror type of watch. The Strain was a recent show that was covering some of that fill but that's a western show.

Yeah I shouldn't get too excited because I may get disappointed.

BluWacky

This thread gonna hyping up Parasyte at first, and end up claiming Shirobako as the best, that's how its usually goes!

I would hope that Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso would be up there:

- beautiful trailers
- clearly noitaminA, not newtaminA
- super-popular manga (in Japan if not in the West)

I'm guessing the only reason it's not as hyped as Nodame Cantabile (a very similar sounding show) was before its airing is because Nodame was readily available (legally) in English manga, while KimiUso isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom