• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

That was a good week of episodes all around. Even DurararaX2 Ten was entertaining, so that says a lot!

I'm a bit confused about what's going on in Gate, though.

EDIT: Completely unrelated question: Was Karas ever released on blu-ray?

Squalor

Out of the two mappa shows that season, Garo was way better and got way less attention
I strongly disagree. The character work in Garo was weak.
Yup, Garo is my AOTY so far
2nd season is an ace
Your anime of this year is an anime that premièred last year? What?
I'm a bit confused about what's going on in Gate, though.
Glorious Japan is better at killing American special forces than vice versa. America is better at spying and digging up dirt, an underhanded method. All praise Glorious Nippon.

There are groups who are against the JSDF and Japan's having access to the Gate. Therefore, they are trying to thwart Japan's inter-gate relations.

Glorious Japan is better at killing American special forces than vice versa. America is better at spying and digging up dirt, an underhanded method. All praise Glorious Nippon.
I felt that the characters in Garo were way, way stronger and way better developed then Bahamut's

NeoGAF anime AOTY voting allows shows that started the previous year as long as it had episodes that aired in the current year:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144914902&postcount=1

Series - Anything that was broadcast in Japan in 2014, including shows which began in 2013, long-running shows which have had a new season, shows which were distributed via internet and shows that are not yet complete as of 2014.

fertygo

The character development throughout entire series is great, multiple character resolved their arc at the end of show
the 2nd cour finished at 2015, its will eligible for AOTY like past 2 cour show.

Squalor

I felt that the characters in Garo were way, way stronger and way better developed then Bahamut's
Better developed? They had more approachable characterizations and personalities, but that's because everything about the show was predictably been-there-done-that. That's not development.

It also stumbled with its narrative and major story arc as it repeated things over and over again.
The character development throughout entire series is great, multiple character resolved their arc at the end of show
That's not character development. That's just plot and story.

Cornbread78

so..... saw this in my FB feed.....

and this was in the replies...

but of course, this may all change now.....

That is, umm, wow... So wrong....

BTW, here is a gif of everyone's "favorite" character in Charlotte doing his thing....

tumblr_ntr6afXjXr1uf17yko1_540.gif

Gbraga

There are groups who are against the JSDF and Japan's having access to the Gate. Therefore, they are trying to thwart Japan's inter-gate relations.

They're trying to kill Itami's group, then?

Rory would probably rek their shit anyway.

Russ T

Banned
It's pretty fun since it does a lot of things differently from your typical fantasy harem. At least for now. It does get a bit nationalistic, as in Japan is the best, all other countries are evil scum but I mean, one watches anime for entertainment and this is all fiction, not for some sort of faithful recreation of politics and warfare

I would watch an anime that is a faithful recreation of politics and warfare, though...

kewlmyc

Is Gate a good anime?

It's thinly-veiled JSDF propaganda, but what war media isn't propaganda nowadays. It's entertaining for what it is, a fantasy story about modern military kicking medieval ass and an otaku lieutenant slowing gaining a harem of fantasy women. It's also refreshing to see fully grown protagonists who earned their ranks rather than genius at birth teenage protaganists.

fertygo

It also stumbled with its narrative and major story arc as it repeated things over and over again.

Bahamut Genesis suffer more from this if this is your complaint, all the grand fantasy thing that they showing amount to nothing at the end of Show.. I don't seeing that in Garo, at least not to that extent.. I can understand what those supreme being equivalent is unlike what shown at Genesis.
That's not character development. That's just plot and story.
Yeah I don't feel that way.

I would watch an anime that is a faithful recreation of politics and warfare, though...
I'll be honest I see Classroom Crisis this season, and whether it is realistic or not, its heavy emphasis on corporate/political situations puts me off. But again, I'm not into politics in the slightest and I don't know why I'm still watching the show. So that's on me.

Cornbread78

Don't forget, it's Shirayuki and Zen day!

tumblr_ntg9bhsEAP1r60zuio2_500.gif

the color is really washed out in this gif...
tumblr_nt8wl831vd1uctzhyo1_500.gif

(well, there are only a couple of us actually watching it, lol)

Squalor

Bahamut Genesis suffer more from this if this is your complaint, all the grand fantasy thing that they showing amount to nothing at the end of Show.. I don't seeing that in Garo, at least not to that extent.. I can understand what those supreme being equivalent is unlike what shown at Genesis.Yeah I don't feel that way.
That's because at its heart, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis was a character-driven anime, which Garo was not. The fantasy didn't "amount to nothing." It was never the focus in the first place. It was just the backdrop and setting.

Feel what you want, but this is a truth that predates anime. There aren't different rules. All you just mentioned was story and plot, which are different. Character development, true character development, is when the characters have been written as organic beings whose actions and decisions affect the plot moving forward and how that forces the character to change or choose to remain the same in the face of new challenges and obstacles. There's also a difference between characterization and character development. As I said, Garo had more accessible characters because they were so color by numbers.
They're trying to kill Itami's group, then?

Rory would probably rek their shit anyway.
They don't know how strong Rory is, though. No one on the Earth side does.

They don't want to kill them, per se, at least not yet. The Americans don't, that's for certain. Other anti-JSDF groups might.

fertygo

That's because at its heart, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis was a character-driven anime, which Garo was not. The fantasy didn't "amount to nothing." It was never the focus in the first place. It was just the backdrop and setting.

I wish they cut the footage for footage of those myth/grand fantasy crap then, shit became overbearing at eps 5 n up.

Would've nice if those minute allocated for the cast goofing around time

Feel what you want, but this is a truth that predates anime. There aren't different rules. All you just mentioned was story and plot, which are different. Character development, true character development, is when the characters have been written as organic beings whose actions and decisions affect the plot moving forward and how that forces the character to change or choose to remain the same in the face of new challenges and obstacles. There's also a difference between characterization and character development. As I said, Garo had more accessible characters because they were so color by numbers.
I know its gonna ended up as semantic/wording argument, my english ability not up for this lol

If set of character behave differently during the show within the story scope and not because inconsistencies, its character development for me.

Also I also not seeing why Genesis character is less vanilla for you, they as simple as it get.. and its not a bad thing, Genesis is more popular show is the proof its actually more "accessible": don't you think?

So with Production I.G. saying they own FLCL, and they plan for a "new anime remake", I gotta ask.

Does anyone really want a remake for FLCL? FLCL is still awesome. Unless it's gonna flesh out the story more, I don't get why.

Between Garo and Bahamut, it is clear to me that Bahamut has a way more accessible appeal than Garo.

Like its not even a contest. Garo's characters all had character development throughout the series whereas Bahamut's character never acted differently than they did at the beginning or seem any deeper than they were on the surface. How they were at the beginning of the series was exactly how they were to the end.

I mean Favaro is literally your typical by the numbers silly MC character and Kaisar your typical overly serious rival to the silly MC who the MC always gets one over on.

Well, Garo and Bahamut want very different things from their characters to match their stories.

Bahamut starts out with a big silly roof top chase/fight that leans firmly on the campy side. Garo starts out with a person, a woman no less, literally being burned at the stake.

I feel like if Bahamut ever went completely serious, and I don't feel that it did, despite what some people say, it would lose that charm that it had in the beginning. Meanwhile, Garo certainly had its sillier episodes, it never really abandons that dark medieval theme in favor of a in all honestly, more lucrative silly one. Both have their serious and goofy side, just not to the same degree. I feel no one wanted the characters to change too much from the beginning of Bahamut, and they don't. Garo's characters in comparison do change, Leon in particular due to how the story necessitates it.

Russ T

Banned
I'll be honest I see Classroom Crisis this season, and whether it is realistic or not, its heavy emphasis on corporate/political situations puts me off. But again, I'm not into politics in the slightest and I don't know why I'm still watching the show. So that's on me.

Hmm, I've been waffling back and forth between watching Classroom Crisis. This maybe makes me more interested?

Ahh but the premise sounds kinda eh. I dunnooooooo.

True, just big bro stuff, lol. He turned out to be a good guy after all. I wonder if Shirayuki now has his approval? We still don't know yet...
I think it's pretty safe to assume so after that episode 2 weeks ago!

Hmm, I've been waffling back and forth between watching Classroom Crisis. This maybe makes me more interested?

Ahh but the premise sounds kinda eh. I dunnooooooo.
Idk. I've said it before but out of everything that I'm watching (11 shows man) this is the weakest and also the one that keeps disappointing me every week. But with only a few episodes to go I'd feel like I really wasted my time if I dropped it now.

kewlmyc

So with Production I.G. saying they own FLCL, and they plan for a "new anime remake", I gotta ask.

Does anyone really want a remake for FLCL? FLCL is still awesome. Unless it's gonna flesh out the story more, I don't get why.

What the what? When did this happen?

Russ T

Banned
If they're gonna do anything, I'd rather they do their own take on it.

The original will always exist, and whatever they do won't make the original null and void. So, might as well do something new and see how that goes.

blurr

Five episodes done with Gugure Kokkuri-san, this show had a really strong first episode, Ichimatsu and Kokkuri-san's back and forth felt fresh and packed a punch. After that it hasn't been as strong, most of the jokes weren't that great. I won't say I didn't laugh at all, I did have a good laugh or two here and there, it just feels like a let down after that first episode.

do the gurren summary movies count as tampering? cause those sucked, but are easily ignored

Not really. Those are remake movies, and honestly I thought those were pretty good. At least the last 30 minutes of both movies, anyway.

Lagann-hen took what was already an awesome final showdown and just made it more awesome.

When I said "tampering" I meant changing what made the original good into something else.

The TTGL movies still have the energy, spirit, and fun that the original had. Nothing really happens in them that outright ruins what happened in the TV series.

TheRancor

When I said "tampering" I meant changing what made the original good into something else.

The TTGL movies still have the energy, spirit, and fun that the original had. Nothing really happens in them that outright ruins what happened in the TV series.
I only saw the first movie but the pacing/montage in that one gave me headaches.

Oh he still does FLCL related stuff like he draw Ninamori in Yoshinari's artbook.

However the story was finished.
Cool, never knew he drew stuff in there. But yeah, the narrative is done.

fertygo

I'm totally despise Enokido after Captain Earth

AO is a thing, but CE is massive colossal waste of time.. bet he write a whole series within one week, total phone-in effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom