• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

ALRIGHT

time to start the season, what am I watching?

there isn't anything that blew me away but..
I plan to check out episode 2 and 3 of the following shows (aka not on my short list to be dropped)
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (lite novel, gary stu like main but decent first ep)
Jitsu wa Watashi wa (vampire romcom)
Rokka no Yuusha (chosen heroes will defeat an evil person)
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime (bones shojo series)
Gangsta. (fun leads that basically are gangsters but aren't)
Charlotte (dick main character fun first half, less fun second half.)

Narag

why does anyone trust narag

mvqOyff.png

zulux21

Property seems strong enough in the West that I wouldn't be surprised if it was waiting on some sort of TV deal.
that is my thoughts as well. We either have no simulcast because either A. a tv deal has already been signed and required funimation doesn't stream it or B. a tv deal is still being worked out and toei doesn't want to give rights to stream until after the tv deal is sorted.
yo i just want to watch super with the english VAs

we are still waiting on db kai buu saga.... which likely won't come out until next year. It's not impossible that we will have to wait until after db kai buu saga which could put super dubs over 2 years away from release.

we are still waiting on db kai buu saga.... which likely won't come out until next year. It's not impossible that we will have to wait until after db kai buu saga which could put super dubs over 2 years away from release.

Thats pretty dumb. Would think a simulcast of a new Dragon Ball series would be worth more then every other show that season combined in the West

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
efYxfHnl.png

This show feels like the dark alternate timeline where Bakemonogatari turned into a standard harem anime.

As for other random anime, Akagami is fine although I don't really like how the heroine is such a doormat, especially considering that other anime that aired last year with the girl with wind powers.

Non Non Biyori messed with me a bit because I expected a direct continuation of the Okinawa story, but showing Renge anticipating her first day at school (with everyone making a big deal out of it) was a nice way to get back into the world. Also, they know that Renge is basically the best character of the series.

(I really don't want to watch that crappy TRU anime...)

Aquarion Logos 1
This was way better than I was expecting. It's full of the hilarious nonsense and camp that you want out of this franchise. It even has Jouji Nakata hamming it up as seemingly this show's version of Gen Fudou.

zulux21

Thats pretty dumb. Would think a simulcast of a new Dragon Ball series would be worth more then every other show that season combined in the West

I've had this discussion over in the super thread but anyways :p

You have to keep in mind of how backwards thinking a number of companies can be.

You could have a tv company that wants to air it offering significantly less money to air it if they want to do a simulcast which would make it better for toei if they didn't simulcast it.

You could have toei worried that a simulcast would effect future dvd sales in NA and thus don't want funimation to stream it (which dbz kai is one of the only series funimation has that they don't stream at all)

While a simulcast of db super would easily be the most valuable one from this season and likely get a lot of new subscribers to funimation, if the numbers or fears show that it would be better to not do it because db is popular enough than that is what you will do.

Keep in mind it's happened plenty of times where the NA blu ray releases are dub only because of fears of reverse importing on series that are years old. Company beliefs vs reality don't always match up.

It'd probably cost more than every other show that season combined in the West.

that as well. we are talking big money with db super. Given the rumored 100 episodes (that are currently greenlit with more possible) and ADV licensing costs that were released, we are likely looking at a 5-10 million contract just for licensing rights for funimation to release anything... which is 20-40% of their estimated net worth. A Tv deal could easily bump the cost up quite a bit more and thus why such strict guidelines could be put in place.

a different site such as crunchyroll could maybe get rights for outside of Na, but the cost of super alone would likely be double what they spent for every other show they are doing this season if not more. It's just that valuable of a property.

fertygo

Aquarion Logos 1
This was way better than I was expecting. It's full of the hilarious nonsense and camp that you want out of this franchise. It even has Jouji Nakata hamming it up as seemingly this show's version of Gen Fudou.

You convincing me to watch, won't start anything before finishing my Aikatsu marathon tho.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa
efYxfHnl.png

This show feels like the dark alternate timeline where Bakemonogatari turned into a standard harem anime.

It's really nothing like it. At its core, it's a pretty standard shounen harem, but with a better sense of escalating, over the top comedy. That coupled with what are among the best facial expressions in the whole medium pretty much put it at the top of the genre.

The Jitsu wa Watashi wa manga is ok. Though I never found the comedy to be all that exceptional, the adaptation could probably improve it there. I ended up getting bored of it and dropping it 50 chapters in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's really nothing like it. At its core, it's a pretty standard shounen harem, but with a better sense of escalating, over the top comedy. That coupled with what are among the best facial expressions in the whole medium pretty much put it at the top of the genre.
Well, I mean the initial premise.

Guy stumbles into a girl who is actually a vampire. Instead of stapling his face, she becomes moe instead. Hijinks ensue. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
wow, I had a blissful few weeks where I forgot that gaf even existed. So much for that. How's anime these days?

Non Non Biyori Repeat 1
So are they just going back and adapting material they skipped over for the first season or is there some greater structure to this?

Heading to Venice, then Greece in less than 48 hours, so no anime for a few weeks :(. Ah well, at least everything in the new season will have started by the time I get back.

Well, I mean the initial premise.

Guy stumbles into a girl who is actually a vampire. Instead of stapling his face, she becomes moe instead. Hijinks ensue. lol

I would think of Rosario to Vampire first, only actually good.

I read enough to know it eventually transforms into a reverse harem of sorts. But it falls to traps to plenty of tropes to the point I wasn't able to enjoy it solely on a romantic manga side, and i enjoy my romance in anime/manga.

How much "rom" and how much "com" is there in this romcom, Snow White with the Red Hair? Because if it's something like Ouran which truly was mainly a comedy, I don't care if it "falls" to tropes and reverse harems.

sasliquid

Animegaf, I'm not sure this is the best place to ask but im looking for a japanese cartoon recommendation

Preferably:
- from the last 5 years
- Be serious/semi-serious in tone (I.e. Not a comedy/over the top)
- not be full of fan service
- have a good English dub (I know, but this one really isn't essential)

My GOATS are Trigun, Baccano and Welcome to the NHK which is a pretty eclectic mix.

Quasar

Is it a harem? or some romantic triangle?

Mandelbo

Kitakubu 01

I'm still not really sold on this. It feels like it's trying just a little too hard to be kooky and weird, but I don't yet think it has much substance beyond that. I did enjoy the joke where the true enemy was revealed to be the system and I'm gonna keep watching to see how it improves, though.

phaze

The End is Nigh. The End begins in October.

(Owarimonogatari TV series begins in October)

It's not the last story nor is the one following it.

Shaft will save this year.

Glad to see it seems to be Ougi-centric, at least to a bigger degree than before.

Animegaf, I'm not sure this is the best place to ask but im looking for a japanese cartoon recommendation

Preferably:
- from the last 5 years
- Be serious/semi-serious in tone (I.e. Not a comedy/over the top)
- not be full of fan service
- have a good English dub (I know, but this one really isn't essential)

My GOATS are Trigun, Baccano and Welcome to the NHK which is a pretty eclectic mix.

With Dub:
Fate/Zero

Either without dub or bit older than what you asked for:
Madoka Magicka (if you can stomach the character designs.)
Mononoke
Shigurui
Edit: Oh yeah, Attack on Titan too probably.
Edit2: Now that I think of it, everything short of Mononoke has a dub.

There is also a recent show from the Trigun's author, that is, as I understand it, currently getting dubbed on Funimation - Kekkai Sensen aka Blood Blockade Battlefront. It has a similar vibe to Trigun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom