• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonely

Animegaf, I'm not sure this is the best place to ask but im looking for a japanese cartoon recommendation

Preferably:
- from the last 5 years
- Be serious/semi-serious in tone (I.e. Not a comedy/over the top)
- not be full of fan service
- have a good English dub (I know, but this one really isn't essential)

My GOATS are Trigun, Baccano and Welcome to the NHK which is a pretty eclectic mix.

Fate/Zero, while the plot might be a bit silly it is played entirely straight faced. Extremely well animated and while I haven't heard the English dub a friend of mine enjoyed it immensely having only seen that version.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would think of Rosario to Vampire first, only actually good.
Monogatari is the best, so I dunno!

----

Yamato notes
So I was a bit bored and decided to scrub through the end of Yamato again, and as the montage at the beginning of the movie kind of showed, Berger really did have a pointless Red Shirt "death" in the series at episode 20:

gkzBSekl.jpg

That's literally the last time you see him... and the way he unceremoniously disappears makes me wonder if they had the movie written all along and basically planted the seed there for his return in a post-Dessler/pre-finale context.

Heck, they even had a way to close out of the Mutineer storyline by having the one surviving dude just pop up on the Gamilas submarine near the end of the show:
ZRCaH66l.jpg

I also forgot about the sanctimony with Starsha regarding the Wave Motion gun. She really comes off as fucking Marie Antoinette in this second viewing, because all this happens as a result of her enabling the piece of crap known as Dessler:
ul7cfptl.jpg

c2cEbVWl.jpg

I know at the end they try their best to make him the tragic anti-hero who did the wrong things for the right reasons, but fuuuuuuuck you. That's like saying Hitler actually saved Europe by creating the conditions that would lead to the creation of the European Union decades later.

I suppose I understand the thematic resonance. If the Wave Motion energy is symbolic of man's fear of atomic power, then obviously we know that it has the capacity to kill millions but also the capacity to generate power that's clean and cheap. So turning the Yamato's gun into the one device that can save Earth makes perfect sense. But Starsha's reluctance over helping them is absurd, even if she does acquiesce in the end.

But man, fuck Dessler. I know he comes back based on the fact that he didn't die in 2199 and on what happens in the sequels to the originals, but man, what a dick. He tried to blow up his own god damn planet and none of his own men question that decision? If there's a science fiction version of Nuremberg in the Yamato universe, he should be the first to hang. :p

zulux21

Animegaf, I'm not sure this is the best place to ask but im looking for a japanese cartoon recommendation

Preferably:
- from the last 5 years

My GOATS are Trigun, Baccano and Welcome to the NHK which is a pretty eclectic mix.

Steins;Gate
Durarara (in regards to Baccano same creator)
Perhaps Attack on Titan
Hellsing Ultimate (only sorta in the last 5 years :p)
No Game No life maybe (though it does have some fan service I wouldn't call it full of it and the dub isn't quite out yet)
Kids on the slope (from the director of cowboy bebop comes a Jazz Bromance :p)

Fate/Zero as mentioned would likely also be a good choice.

Preferably:
- from the last 5 years

Ping Pong (dubbed)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (no dub)
Kaiji (no dub)
The Flowers of Evil (no dub, I think)
Mushi-shi (dubbed)
Mononoke (no dub, I think)

From this season you might want to check out Ushio and Tora. same director as Trigun and Hajime no Ippo. One episode so far, no dub.

Is it a harem? or some romantic triangle?

It's a harem but mainly vampire, blue hair and glasses are the real contenders.

No Game No life maybe (though it does have some fan service I wouldn't call it full of it

You serious right now? NGNL is full of fanservice. Like, to the brim.

zulux21

You serious right now? NGNL is full of fanservice. Like, to the brim.

i'm serious. There is a couple scenes that are loaded with fanservice but outside of those few scenes there isn't much. thus I wouldn't consider it loaded with fanservise. loaded with fanservice I would save for shows like queens blade or sekirei or Ikkitousen or countless other shows that either the girls are getting their clothes ripped apart by battle or focuses solely on getting boob jiggles and panty shots.
no game no life doesn't remotely get near those in terms of fanservice.

Pooya

Atelier Shirayuki - Alchemist of Bones 1

This was nice, it even has action! nice music, ED is nice too, all of it is just too nice. Too bad nobody died :(

Jintor

A much-needed dose of healing at the end of a long day.

Non Non Biyori Repeat 01

Is there much to say beyond that this was healing? The only other thing was that I saw the phone gag coming a mile away.

The last school that empty I went to was actually a cafe, but at one of the junior high schools I teach at you do walk past room after room of disused classrooms.

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying s2 12-13

All the heals

Cornbread78

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying s2 12-13

All the heals

I just finished getting caught up with these episodes the other day. The topics and themes covered in the shorts would be sooo good if they converted it into a full SoL comedy series. All the characters are pretty hood and more lil' sis/bro could only be a good thing, lol.

Jintor

I just finished getting caught up with these episodes the other day. The topics and themes covered in the shorts would be sooo good if they converted it into a full SoL comedy series. All the characters are pretty hood and more lil' sis/bro could only be a good thing, lol.

tbh it works a lot more for me as a series of shorts... it's just this bite-sized idea and that's what i need. (We don't all have cornbread time yo)

phaze

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 04-05

Someone

please

strangle

that infuriating kid

quickly

but painfully.

i'm serious. There is a couple scenes that are loaded with fanservice but outside of those few scenes there isn't much. thus I wouldn't consider it loaded with fanservise. loaded with fanservice I would save for shows like queens blade or sekirei or Ikkitousen or countless other shows that either the girls are getting their clothes ripped apart by battle or focuses solely on getting boob jiggles and panty shots.
no game no life doesn't remotely get near those in terms of fanservice.

I mean relative to the worst ones? Perhaps. On an absolute scale though, I'd certainly agree that NGNL is loaded with fanservice. I'd never recommend that show to anyone that cannot stand fanservice. Well, besides not recommending it to anyone at all in the first place.

[Castle Town Dandelion] - 01
A wild KanaHana appears!
This was better than I expected(I expected nothing).
Nine siblings of the royal family being monitored by cameras to elect the next King/Queen, and the story focus is on KanaHana, who is shy and doesn't want to be caught on camera.
Will watch for KanaHana.
Hello there new thread.

cajunator

Banned
Jitsu Wa 1

Was aight.

Manga doesn't really get good until later so whatever

Would make for a good avatar

Ill give this a shot soon. It looks like another monster girl show or something.

It's amazing what some will let themselves be emotionally vulnerable to.

Yeah like people reacting in this thread.

Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow white with red hair)

So this is pretty good. The art style is very pretty with great looking characters and good detail throughout the scenes. The music is good, OP and ED are very nice. The story seems interesting enough, I like the introduction of the characters. Shirayuki is pretty fantastic and absolutely beautiful, I love the Red hair and green eye combination, it's fantastic. She's so kind and nice; I also like how she's an herbalist. Zen is pretty cool and quite the handsome man; very fun and lifts Shirayuki up for sure. Mitsuhide and Kiki are cool side kicks too.

I think this will be a good one to watch as well.

This looks so adorable. I shall watch it today for sure.
What sets this apart from the original fairy tale?

Opening: People are going to hate it because of Nano.RIPE. I think it was okay though.
Ending: Really pleasant. Better than the one from the previous season.

An entire episode of Ren being cute.

ZmUaBjH.jpg

That's how one purifies the soul.

Before diving back into the depths of lewd for the rest of the week.

I love nano.ripe!
Also an entire episode of Ren being cute sounds like exactly what I needed today. along with Wakaba girls I shall squee all day.

Monmosu is coming out in like 18 hours

Oh damn. thats really soon!

Yes, the "verbal tics" are something I most definitely like to hear and enjoy a lot, more cute anime should use them, it's adorable to listen to!

Ive enjoyed them in every show since I started watching anime. Cant get enough!

Lol, but it was a ton of fun and Fino is a cutie and was great in the show..
1425161340777.jpg

Fino is amazing! I really enjoyed the whole supermarket in a magical world thing, with everyday workers and the kind of slice of life atmosphere of it. The ecchi parts didnt bother me at all. I never felt like they were over the top.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kitakubu 01

I'm still not really sold on this. It feels like it's trying just a little too hard to be kooky and weird, but I don't yet think it has much substance beyond that. I did enjoy the joke where the true enemy was revealed to be the system and I'm gonna keep watching to see how it improves, though.
The charm of KKK is that it is a bit of everything. Metatextual, manzai, nonsequitors, and sometimes just inane silliness.

----

I need my animated monster girls

reminder:

m163hp7.jpg

So what will the perviest anime this season? TRU, Monster Girls, or that Student Council Wife thing?

Puruzi

Banned
The charm of KKK is that it is a bit of everything. Metatextual, manzai, nonsequitors, and sometimes just inane silliness.

----

So what will the perviest anime this season? TRU, Monster Girls, or that Student Council Wife thing?

Between Monster Musume and TRU not sure, but Monster Musume is better imo

cajunator

Banned
As I said earlier I was going to watch Inside Out today, having been dragged into it I didn't really know what to expect. Folks said it would be okay to post my impressions on it since there seems to already have been talks about it. I liked the movie a lot, and this is coming from a guy that hasn't seen a Pixar movie in quite a while. Tell me all you want that this is for kids, but I don't quite think so. Are all recent Pixar movies like this in terms of tone, without really feeling like they are made for children specifically? The animation and visuals were beautiful, emotions (lol) run deep all throughout the entire thing. We didn't need tissues, but whenever something sad happened, we felt it deep in our hearts aha.

Tl;dr go watch it with your significant other, friends, kids, whole family really. It is really good and quite the emotional ride.

Yup. We'll keep your seat warm don't worry.

Im glad you enjoyed it! I knew you would like it hahah
Its not a tearjerker but it can sneak up on you.
What did you think of the Lava short before it? I thought it was adorable.

Look what came in the mail today:

GEJH93W.jpg

Also came with both of the soundtracks. Special gift was the Ofunehiki flag, which is kinda cool.

Cant wait to revisit this world again.

SO JELLY.
Where's mine at ;_;
I need to call them now.

*Gasp*!! You really think my posts have some quality to them?! big hugs Cornbread, big hugs!

Yessss, go Cornbread go! You'll love NNB for sure, I think it's hard to dislike.

Of course they do! You have genuine unbounded enthusiasm for anime and it shows in your reviews!

Jeez Louise calm down. How about you see the actual footage of the show (that was already posted a few times over the last 2 days) instead of a promo poster (which is drawn for a pretty fanservice-y magazine)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHU-QbRHS_Q

And then there's the character design:

Its a good character design. not sure what the fuss is abouT?

I'm really lacking shows that I'm interested in this season. Is Rokka no Yuusha any good?

It's fun, apparently there is some mystery element to it so I'm excited to see where that goes. Give the first episode a try.

Ushio to Tora is also shaping up to be a good shounen anime, possibly even better than Rokka.

Im glad you enjoyed it! I knew you would like it hahah
Its not a tearjerker but it can sneak up on you.
What did you think of the Lava short before it? I thought it was adorable.
The emotions were the cutest things. And the imaginary friend?
:'(
And the lava short was adorable indeed. "I will lava youuuuu" was stuck in our heads for the whole night ahaha.

Squalor

Gangsta., Roku no Yuusha, and Ushio to Tora all had entertaining, above-average pilots.

GATE was okay-ish. I'll give it another episode or two, but I'll likely drop it. They don't appear to be doing anything particularly new with this "gate to another dimension" cliché. The otaku-protagonist cliché was grating as well.

Charlotte was awful.

Still waiting for God Eater.

Gangsta., Roku no Yuusha, and Ushio to Tora all had entertaining, above-average pilots.

GATE pretty mediocre, but I'll give it another episode or two.

Charlotte was awful.

Damn the first real negative impression of Charlotte appears. I'm legitimately curious, since you say Gangsta is above average, why you think Charlotte is that bad. I mean don't get me wrong I liked Gangsta but I recognized it's flaws. Gate I thought I thought was pretty bad :S So yeah since your opinions are very different from mine...

Gbraga

That's one of the shows I'm watching. Loved the first episode, but that and Gangsta are the only two shows that I'm watching right now.

Hmm, maybe GATE? The first episode was promising, I really enjoy the setup.

GATE was okay-ish. I'll give it another episode or two, but I'll likely drop it. They don't appear to be doing anything particularly new with this "gate to another dimension" cliché. The otaku-protagonist cliché was grating as well.

Charlotte was awful.

Yeah, the otaku thing was the worst part of GATE, hopefully it won't be the driving force behind the show.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 37
CJUC-a_UkAAt0s2.jpg

Ah the plot that I figured would happen is probably happening. RetributionShipping is painful for them. Interesting duel though. Im always impressed when characters can get 3000 ATK monsters on their first turn.

Yeah, the otaku thing was the worst part of GATE, hopefully it won't be the driving force behind the show.
I feel like it's gonna go at full force when he meets the other characters lol... Either way this one I'm probably not even gonna continue this week. The premise is kinda interesting, but idk here we have another otaku that is going to save the day. Anime needs to give that trope a rest :p

Squalor

Damn the first real negative impression of Charlotte appears. I'm legitimately curious, since you say Gangsta is above average, why you think Charlotte is that bad. I mean don't get me wrong I liked Gangsta but I recognized it's flaws. Gate I thought I thought was pretty bad :S So yeah since your opinions are very different from mine...
The writing (character work and dialogue) was bad. The magical-school genre is over-saturated, and this appears to be doing nothing novel with it. Unless the sub I watched was wrong, calling Jojiro's ability "teleportation" doesn't even make sense because it looked nothing like what actual teleportation would look like. The younger sister's voice couldn't be any worse. I don't need another cliché-riddled moe anime, and that is exactly what that pilot was.

And I just said I'll likely drop GATE, so I don't know what you're talking about regarding that.

Saudades

Gettin' clearer. That's one big damn V-fin.
That thin waist tho...Hope that it's just the part connecting the upper and lower bodies together (as the mech seems to be under construction). Also I'm not a fan of round shoulders armors.
One more week to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom