• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunny is the greatest show since Seinfeld and Curb

Raptomex

I'm binge watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I haven't laughed so hard from a TV show in so long. I'm on season 9 and just finished watching The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award.
They really deserve an Emmy
. I truly love each member of the gang, their interactions, but I think I lean towards Dennis being my favorite. The dude is a straight up dark sociopath. If Howerton decides to leave the show, I think I might cry. The Golden God can't leave.

"Because of the implication"
"You two have boyfriends? How did you not know..."
"I have to have my TOOLS!"

giphy.gif

Danny DeVito was a great addition. I've always found him humorous in other shit and he just seems like a lovable kind of guy. His inclusion here was perfect. His character, the age difference, and he acts as sort of the dickhead wise man.

"My goddamn 'hoo'whore wife!"
"...cause the people moving out just smear feces all over the walls".

Sunny has made my top 3 list of TV comedies. Seinfeld, Curb, Sunny. I love these shows with no moral compass, no hugging, no learning. I've heard the argument that people can't watch this because these people are reprehensible? That's what makes these shows so funny. They're awful, terrible, people. No normal person acts like this, hence the comedy. If I wanted to watch people learn life lessons and succeed I could watch almost any other show or just live life.

It's definitely in my top three, too. I could play that show for month, just random episodes whenever I'm free. I never get tired of it. Every episode has its brilliant moments.

It's my favorite comedy show. Watching the evolution of Dennis from understated sociopath to full blown sociopath has been incredible.

It has surpassed everything else and its now my favorite show of all time. I've watched every season multiple times. It's my background noise now. Too many great moments to list. Absolutely no cast members that drag the show down like most shows.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I love the title card gimmick.

"Come on, Deandra... what's the worst that could happen?"
*Theme song plays*
TITLE CARD: "Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire"

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's the number one comedy show for me. Seinfeld is classic but Always Sunny has me in stitches on repeat viewings.

I didn't realize until I was reading an article about how the show has some meta episodes. Like how they've never won an award so they did one where they try to win an award by copying the bar representing other bar sitcoms or sitcoms in general. Or the one where they kidnap Fisher Stevens was them lashing out at reviewers.

It's insane that they didn't win an award for "The Gang Turns Black" much less "The Nightman Cometh"

Its sort of amazing how quickly Arrested Development has vanished from the zeitgeist

It's a top 5 comedy for me but season 4 and even late season 3 were extremely weak. It's still really good but it doesn't match the highs of season 2.

Amory

Its sort of amazing how quickly Arrested Development has vanished from the zeitgeist

i love arrested development, but 2 great seasons plus a mediocre third and a frankly bad 4th don't put it in the conversation with seinfeld, curb, always sunny, etc.

those shows were great for a much longer stretch

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If you enjoyed It's Always Sunny then you should do yourself a favor and check out The Mick on Fox. One of the most consistently funny first seasons I've seen in a long time and has some really dark fucked up humor.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Seinfeld is the granddaddy of Curb and Sunny. Both take a part of the Seinfeld formula and take it to the extreme.

Sunny takes the sociopathic, selfish group of "friends" and has them constantly suffer the consequences of their hair brained schemes and general lack of empathy.

Curb takes one dude trying to navigate the social expectations and norms he doesn't often subscribe to into complicated situations that often blow up spectacularly.

Raptomex

If you enjoyed It's Always Sunny then you should do yourself a favor and check out The Mick on Fox. One of the most consistently funny first seasons I've seen in a long time and has some really dark fucked up humor.
I just might. I wish the actors luck and success but if they all start leaving to do other shows, well I'll just be sad. This show is too damn funny.

Currently on my third or fourth watchthrough of the series myself, and it never fails to make me giggle. I think my favorite is Country Mac and all his badassery. Also, this thread has learned me that I need to watch Curb, which I've never seen.

I like to think of The Mick as "Sweet Dee: The Spinoff".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The fact that Seinfeld was able to do it do well without profanity and the level of sexual stuff Curb and Sunny use is just amazing to me. We will probably never see anything like that again.

I've binged watched Sunny many times and still never get tired of it. Even other side characters and their devolution are great (cricket, waitress, artemis). I agree, one of the best for sure.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Bah, it's better than both.

Mac finally coming out
was fucking absurdly heartwarming to watch. Followed by a classic punchline re: the bill.

Indelible

Only watched it about a dozen times but every show has been hilarious, I wish it would come to Netflix Canada so I could binge watch it.

It feels like there are a tons of shows like it on TV. Wokraholics kinda feels like it. This British show, Siblings. Seen tons of other American and British TV that feels very similar. It's pretty hilarious no doubt, but not always on the mark. I think for me, It's Always Sunny, just wore out its welcome a little. Felt like it went on long enough.

For me the GOAT is Community. Can just keep rewatching that. So ambitious and clever. Not the first season, or fourth. Also has heart. Rick and Morty. Curb is up there. Will always love Seinfeld. It's cynical and unsentimental in just the right amounts, like Curb too. Not a turn off.

Its good and funny but not on that level. Not intelligent enough imo, can be too dumb at times

Also it became too selfaware. Characters became too predictable

big ander

It's really a pantheon sitcom, up there with Cheers and Arrested and everything
Still think 30 Rock was more consistent throughout its run but it's way shorter so that is to be expected.
Well, due to network season lengths 30 rock current has more eps than Sunny, though that'll change with the upcoming seasons.

I think they are similarly consistent, in that both have had minor dips or slightly worse seasons, but it's never been drastic and even lesser seasons/eps have a handful of incredible episodes/jokes

UK Gaffer here so I'm used to some top quality British comedy and find US comedies like Seinfeld a bit boring if I'm honest. Curb on the other hand is top notch.

I find Sunny OKish. I'm binge watching it most nights and up to mid season 3 at the moment. I like the characters and how they treat eachother but I'm not finding it that funny. I'll stick with it and hope it gets better.

Frank is amazing by the way. I can't Dee funny at all though.

jobrro

I binged Seinfeld and Curb but I at least put Sunny on par with them.

Seinfeld was so great, still is, but the many of the story lines simply wouldn't exist in the modern age with cell phones etc.. Still hilarious though.

Curb got really cringey for me even though I like that sort of humor (like the UK Office, The Inbetweeners). Maybe I should revisit it. It's been close to 10 years.

Binged Sunny to like Season 3 or 4 and it just keeps going. I love it. Still love the new episodes.

I remember when season two started, and I was never a big DeVito fan, so I thought it was going to be a huge mistake.

Frank turned out be, IMO, one of the most iconic TV characters in the last decade. He's just so fucking gross and weird.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I remember when season two started, and I was never a big DeVito fan, so I thought it was going to be a huge mistake.

Frank turned out be, IMO, one of the most iconic TV characters in the last decade. He's just so fucking gross and weird.

He just adds SO much to the show, I don't think it would have lasted as long as it has if they didn't add him.

jobrro

Drinking red wine from can.

More iconic than Aiden Pearce.

I feel that the latest season besides one episode,
the water park one
, was fairly weak. Every other season was great though.

Is the first episode representative of the rest of the show or is it like Parks & Rec where you can completely ignore the first season and jump in at season 2?

Top Bottom