• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunny is the greatest show since Seinfeld and Curb

Raptomex

Is the first episode representative of the rest of the show or is it like Parks & Rec where you can completely ignore the first season and jump in at season 2?
Considering how short the seasons are, especially that one, I would say just finish it. It doesn't reach the level of quality of some other seasons but it still has some truly excellent moments. If you must skip it, I think you could still enjoy the show. It really takes off starting with season 2 imo.

At it's best it's better than anything, but the quality has dropped in later seasons

7728df22a52bdf439af96bc7336307ff.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Is the first episode representative of the rest of the show or is it like Parks & Rec where you can completely ignore the first season and jump in at season 2?

The first episode is pretty great considering they do racism and homophobia right off the bat.

But as far as the "plot" of the show goes it mostly starts with season 2. You'll want to watch the first season at some point since later episodes reference it occasionally and it introduces the McPoyles.

edit: shit forgot Artemis was introduced season 1 also

Considering how short the seasons are, especially that one, I would say just finish it. It doesn't reach the level of quality of some other seasons but it still has some truly excellent moments. If you must skip it, I think you could still enjoy the show. It really takes off starting with season 2 imo.

Cheers, I wasn't feeling it after the first episode but I'm willing to give it a fair shake.

I don't think it could have the universal appeal of a Seinfeld or even Curb, only because it's so dark that it's off-putting to a lot of people (basically, your parents who loved Seinfeld). But every episode is great, and unlike Parks & Rec or Modern Family (different shows of course, but I thought some of the prime seasons of those match up with any), not every episode is completely predictable and formulaic in the first 5mins.

Phased

I'm not a fan of Seinfeld or Curb in the slightest but Sunny is hilarious. Every season is a consistent improvement over the last one. I think Breaking Bad is the only other show I've watched that has improved so drastically every year.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't think it could have the universal appeal of a Seinfeld or even Curb, only because it's so dark that it's off-putting to a lot of people (basically, your parents who loved Seinfeld).

My wife hates this show because she says it's just people yelling at each other and doing horrible things. So I could see how it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I guess the people that hand out awards must feel the same way.

haveheart

Banned
IASIP, Seinfeld, and Curb are my top3 too.

You should definitely check out Louie! It's like a way more offensive version of Seinfeld. And depressing as hell.

Camwi

The first season is great, but the show definitely gets better afterwards with the addition of Frank.

Also yes, greatest comedy on television right now, and one of the greatest of all time. I love the appreciation the show gets on GAF, because it sure as fuck isn't going to win the awards that it deserves.

At it's best it's better than anything, but the quality has dropped in later seasons

Disagree. The show is as funny and fun to watch as ever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It is without a doubt one of the best series to ever be on a television set and I would have no issue putting it next to those. It is their equal, one of the few.

Dice//

Banned
Best comedy hands down.

Just weird shit, crude shit, funny shit. It knows how to be ironic and progressive with characters that are incredibly regressive and awful. It does parody, it does (creepy) drama, it brings back its cast of weirdos, and still finds characters worse than the central ones (gotta salt the snail).

Probably my favourite of all time honestly. I watch it all the time, and just can't get enough. I've only watched a couple of seasons of Curb so need to do more of that before making a final judgement. What I have seen is very good. Seinfeld... Bit dated honestly. Definitely respect it for giving birth to a new wave of comedy though.

Arrested Development 1-2 is unbelievable, too bad that couldnt be maintained. Peep Show is up there near the top for me, classic Simpsons, The Thick Of It tussles for the top spot. Rick and Morty is on a good trajectory.

Robot Pants

I mean it's good. Really good.
But not quite Seinfeld, Curb, or even Simpsons golden era good.

But still very good. I love the show.

Nah you know what? I agree. It's fantastic

Season 11 was easily the worst but 12 was good, the waterpark episode had me in tears. It's not as funny as it was in its prime but it's still better than most.

Also from what I remember Season 5 and 6 were a bit weak too but the random gag of Fat Mac in season 7 and Frank getting continually more fucked up bounced it back in to greatness.

It has it's moments, but for the most part I found It's Always Sunny... bitingly unfunny. It becomes more obvious in the later seasons as the humor becomes somewhat stale. The show's more fast-paced style of comedy is fine, but it becomes tiresome when you're seasons deep into the show. I felt the same way about The Community.

I also felt like the show relied too much on the whole these characters are shitty thing.

DukeBobby

Guess I need to give it a watch then. I absolutely love Curb, but think Seinfeld is merely okay (only watched the first three seasons, though).

Its sort of amazing how quickly Arrested Development has vanished from the zeitgeist

The Charlize Theron story arc in Season 3 is some of the unfunniest shit I've ever seen in a comedy programme. It's hard to believe it's part of the same show as the first two, brilliant seasons.

Korey

They're all different in their own way yet share a common element. Seinfeld is still my favorite.
Seinfeld isn't funny though (by today's standards). It's an ancient show from when comedy was still developing. I've tried forcing myself to watch it and didn't find it funny...at all.

I'd say Curb, Always Sunny, 30 Rock, etc are the best.

Too much shouting for me.

I thought that at first when I had roommates and they watched a good bulk of it. Just miserable white dudes shouting at each other for a half hour (I couldn't even tell the difference between Charlie, Dennis and Mac tbh). I ignored it for years and until I finally gave it a solid shake when I was really craving a new, live-action comedy and have been hooked since.

Now I see my gf reacting the same way I used to when I see she happens on me watching the show, complaining about Charlie Day's shouting in particular lol. But there's genius, dark comedy underneath the shouting, I promise.

Calcaneus

I feel like the later season work better on a re watch, the last season I loved the first time through was maybe 7. Though 11 was pretty bad and I don't know if a re watch would help that, haven't finished 12 yet.

Afrikan

My cousin tried to get me to watch it. I binge watched some episodes with him. Yeah some parts are funny, but I definitely don't feel it is on par or close to Seinfeld and Curb.

I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled with stuff I've watched in the past. From stuff in the 90's to the 2000s.

Top Bottom