• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunny is the greatest show since Seinfeld and Curb

gosox333

Over this past weekend l had a cashier mention how it was a hot one out there and l couldn't help but giggle like an idiot.

Seinfeld isn't funny though (by today's standards). It's an ancient show from when comedy was still developing. I've tried forcing myself to watch it and didn't find it funny...at all.

I'd say Curb, Always Sunny, 30 Rock, etc are the best.

You say "comedy was still developing" like the 1-2 dozen great sitcoms from the 60s-80s don't exist, or Charlie Chaplin, or Buster Keaton, or Woody Allen, or the Marx Brothers, etc.

giphy.gif

How can you not look at that and crack up.

Sunny and Trailer Park Boys are my jam.

sora87

It's the best and most consistently funny american comedy show I've seen. Shout out to Frasier though, close second.

riotous

Banned
I've heard the argument that people can't watch this because these people are reprehensible? That's what makes these shows so funny. They're awful, terrible, people. No normal person acts like this, hence the comedy. If I wanted to watch people learn life lessons and succeed I could watch almost any other show or just live life.

What I find funny is that most sitcoms are full of horrible people; people like to think shows like Friends are about a lovable group of normies for instance. But if you pay attention, almost every single plot line revolves around one ore more Friends lying to or otherwise keeping a secret from the other Friends. Hell there are entire story archs that span episodes that revolve around lying.

Peltz

I like the show. I also really dig workaholics but only saw the first 2 seasons. I think it's on par with Sunny

boiled goose

good with gravy
I can marathon and rewatch Seinfeld.

Curb, I can watch a few episodes at a time.

Sunny drains me. I enjoy it but one episode is enough.

I've only seen a couple full episodes, but every time an Always Sunny thread shows up on GAF, I end up watching clips on youtube for the next hour and laughing my ass off.

Raptomex

Seinfeld isn't funny though (by today's standards). It's an ancient show from when comedy was still developing. I've tried forcing myself to watch it and didn't find it funny...at all.

I'd say Curb, Always Sunny, 30 Rock, etc are the best.
You are way out of line. I do find it interesting meeting people who like Curb but don't like Seinfeld or vice versa. For me, nothing tops Seinfeld. I've had the entire series on DVD for years now. I used to watch it religiously every night for a good year or so. I still put it on when there's nothing else on or just when I feel like binge watching it.
What I find funny is that most sitcoms are full of horrible people; people like to think shows like Friends are about a lovable group of normies for instance. But if you pay attention, almost every single plot line revolves around one ore more Friends lying to or otherwise keeping a secret from the other Friends. Hell there are entire story archs that span episodes that revolve around lying.
It's true. Most sitcoms I enjoy revolve around people lying, being deceptive, just crazy, or inappropriate.

Friends is alright. Somewhat of a guilty pleasure.
King of Queens
Fraiser - this show is just hilarious.
Married... with Children
Rules of Engagement
Everybody Loves Raymond

Started it 2 weeks ago and at Season 4 now. I heard a lot of people saying Dee is the worst one but I dont see it. She is an asshole, sure, like every other character, but she seems to be the most "normal" one in the show.

Artdayne

1. Arrested Development
2. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
3. Seinfeld/Curb

How is Arrested Development not in your top 3?

In that weird TV Show niche comprised of Sunny, Curb, Seinfeld and, to a lesser extent, Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is definitely ma favorite one (I think I gave 10 stars to all of them on IMDb). It used to be Arrested Development, but the fourth season was below-par (albeit enjoyable)

louiedog

I didn't watch a single episode until about two years ago. I'd seen people talk about it but nothing from it ever hit me in context and seemed very funny. I did see a little of the first episode and didn't think it was that good.

But then someone shared this clip of Charlie explaining what he does with the trash and I thought it was hilarious so I gave it a shot. Now I've probably seen every episode at least 3 times. It's my current go to background Netflix streaming.

tr00per

Agreed. I view it as the natural successor to Seinfeld. A group of deplorables getting into ridiculous circumstances, usually topical.

"did you fuck my mom, santa claus?"

Some say it's lost its touch, but they also say that about South Park. I disagree with both.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Seinfeld, Frasier, and Sunny form the true triumvirate of "greatest shows." Really, they're all similar. Frasier is Seinfeld with upper class characters, Seinfeld is Seinfeld with closer to middle class characters, and Sunny is Seinfeld with lower class characters.

Top Bottom