• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Coming To PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

b52b8391352acbe0fd312fd8ba2bfcae.png

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Eh, really? I don't see this being the kind of game that makes big money on merchandise. I guess you would do it, in the off chance it did blow up and become the next big thing? So if it does, you have the rights to it? Could just be something that is a mart decision regardless.

Fizzie has potential.

They probably want more control over the sequel and porting opportunities. Owning the IP gives them more leeway when it comes to signing any new exclusive deal with MS.

Come to think of it, this could be their Gears of War, which must have made Epic some epic bank. Can't have been at all cheap for MS to keep that game locked down for the entire generation.

Mononoke

Banned
Not having the IP rights would also restrict their options with a sequel I guess. We'd probably have got Metropolis Street Racer 2 and Demon's Souls 2 instead of Project Gotham and Dark Souls if the studios owned the rights to the IP. In those two situations, it all worked out well... in others such as Call of Duty versus Titanfall, not having the original name can create an uphill battle to attract your previous audience.

Plus, I think we'd all have preferred a new Megaman, than Mighty No. 9 :p

Yeah that makes sense. I guess I was focused on that one poster saying it's about merchandise. But having the rights to the IP wouldn't be just for that.

Are Fable and State of Decay "BIG" or even MS owned IPs? Also does it really matter, I mean, is Sunset Overdrive "BIG"? I would imagine they are big ie, more meaningful to different audiences, and I am pretty certain that the audiences on Xbox One and PC are not the same along with different games appealing to each audience to varying degrees

State of Decay is 'big' in the sense that it broke XBLA records and is getting a retail release on Xbox One in Spring 2015...

Rembrandt

Banned
Really? I don't know, maybe the trend will continue- we'll leave it open.

An etcetera attack!

I wouldn't be surprised if it continues, really. people last gen kept saying they wished MS focused more on bringing exclusives to PC and they might get their wish this gen.

W.S.

It reminds me of the "Mass Effect/Bioshock also went multiplat" debate that has been going on for years. Yet, very few did the research in how they actually became/were multiplatform.

Yeah there are always circumstances around it, shit happens.

SerTapTap

i have a perhaps unrelated question but...

why was it important to Insomniac to keep rights to the IP, if they would never release the game on other systems anyways?

Uh look at Ratchet and Clank and Spyro. If SO becomes a series they do not want to
A) Be forced to work with Platform Holder each time to make a new game
B) actually lose the game entirely and never be able to work on it again, ever

Whether they can or will release SO 1 multiplat is a mystery, but it seems obvious that they want to keep the IP for the long run not only because of a single entry.

dreamfall

I wouldn't be surprised if it continues, really. people last gen kept saying they wished MS focused more on bringing exclusives to PC and they might get their wish this gen.

We shall see indeed! (I kind of hope it continues, I've been enjoying the DR3 port even if it isn't the most optimized).

I'm happy for Insomniac, I'm really excited about their launch of this game. This ad is just confusing us all! They've been pretty definitive about shooting it down, but only time will tell.

Grief.exe

Wow, 2015 is going to be the year of the co-op shooter. Grab some friends and your alcoholic beverage of choice.

Killing Floor 2
Evolve
The Division

Rumors
Sunset Overdrive
Destiny
L4D3

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

Silky

Banned
Are Fable and State of Decay "BIG" or even MS owned IPs? Also does it really matter, I mean, is Sunset Overdrive "BIG"? I would imagine they are big ie, more meaningful to different audiences, and I am pretty certain that the audiences on Xbox One and PC are not the same along with different games appealing to each audience to varying degrees

http://www.destructoid.com/state-of-decay-hits-one-million-in-sales-263209.phtml

It did a million, best selling new IP on XBLA, it's getting an X1 release and of course a sequel is in planning.

Pretty big, yeah.

Fizzie has potential.

They probably want more control over the sequel and porting opportunities. Owning the IP gives them more leeway when it comes to signing any new exclusive deal with MS.

Come to think of it, this could be their Gears of War, which must have made Epic some epic bank. Can't have been at all cheap for MS to keep that game locked down for the entire generation.

terrible example lol, as Gears 1 came to PC with some extras :)

Mugatu

Wow, 2015 is going to be the year of the co-op shooter. Grab some friends and your alcoholic beverage of choice.

Killing Floor 2
Evolve
The Division

Rumors
Sunset Overdrive
Destiny
L4D3

All those games interest me but L4D3 gets me more excited than all the rest put together.

Nethaniah

Totally off-topic but i think 2015 would be a great time to re-release the first gears and port the other 3 to PC, wouldn't require a huge amount of effort me thinks.

Nothing going on with Gears at that time and then BAM, want to get Gears 5? Buy an Xbox.

Kayant

Dude, they make money off the PC versions. If you help or fully finance the development of a game you get money off it's sales regardless of platform.

Hmmm... Receipts? In TF's case they helped in funding the project which in turn got them the initial 13 months of exclusivity, In Ryse's case I don't think there has been any mention on who funded it after it was retooled from being a kinect game. Most of these cases where it has happened it seems they get an exclusivity window for funding the project.

No, they don't. If they're not the publisher then they get zero money.

JaggedSac

Hopefully it does release on PC. I hope Insomniac makes as much money as they can on a game they obviously have so much passion for.

nynt9

I mean, this doesn't say much either way because they'd say the same thing if it was truly never coming to PC or if it was going to come but announced early and they're doing damage control.

Depends on whether you take stuff like this at face value, and we've seen multiple examples of MS PR being shady about exclusivity or later reneging on exclusivity, so it's not super hard to disbelieve this.

Not really a terrible example. This could be their GoW in the general sense of successful IP they retain control of while charging MS more and more money to keep it exclusive and then sell it off as the popularity begins to wane.

Could be a big W for Insomniac in the long run. They have more money to start funding some of their own IP and won't need to keep looking to the big players who increasingly want to retain the IP in exchange for funding.

Totally off-topic but i think 2015 would be a great time to re-release the first gears and port the other 3 to PC, wouldn't require a huge amount of effort me thinks.

MS will do an exclusive Gears Collection instead is my guess.

Not really a terrible example. This could be their GoW in the general sense of successful IP they retain control of while charging MS more and more money to keep it exclusive and then sell it off as the popularity begins to wane.

Could be a big W for Insomniac in the long run. They have more money to start funding some of their own IP and won't need to keep looking to the big players who increasingly want to retain the IP in exchange for funding.

I think the game is going to be good, but I just don't see this franchise taking off. I hope I'm wrong.

Nzyme32

Grief.exe

Same as Halo for me, just fix up the existing PC version for a Steam release. Let the console players have the HD collection.

Hopefully it does release on PC. I hope Insomniac makes as much money as they can on a game they obviously have so much passion for.

A Steam release would be huge for them too. The platform is growing at an unprecedented clip with a genre that is well supported by the demographic.

i have a perhaps unrelated question but...

why was it important to Insomniac to keep rights to the IP, if they would never release the game on other systems anyways?

Because by owning the IP they have the opportunity to make the most money in the long run. Let's say Sunset Overdrive blows up. Microsoft wants to make a Sunset Overdrive movie. Insomniac could make 50-100 million if that were to happen.

In terms of XB1 exclusivity, my bet is that these deals are set up something like this. "The game launches exclusively on XB1, and after 3 months we get to decide to write a check for X dollars to make it permanent. If we decline you're allowed to release a PC version 9 months after the XB1 launch."

In the case of Ryse and Dead Rising they realized neither was worthy of paying for a sequel, so they let it go PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If Microsoft were to port it anywhere the Xbox 360 would make the most sense.
That wouldn't make any sense at all. How would you propose they rework the technology for Xbox 360? It's an ambitious open world game designed on an engine that is likely not particularly compatible with such ancient hardware.

This isn't like Titanfall which was built on the aging Source engine (where PS3 and 360 were original targets). There's no way they could pull off a decent version of this game on 360 without massive compromises.

Snakeyes

I don't think that game will flop, because it's not going to be AAA game. I could see the game price model something like HeartStone

Yeah, but what if it simply doesn't catch on? I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decided to drop networking support for the game if there aren't enough players.

oh i know what you meant, i was being kind of sarcastic lol

Kayant

Killing Floor 2
Evolve
The Division

Rumors
Sunset Overdrive
Destiny
L4D3

If you're talking about the kdramastars rumor it's fake btw. The claim that a user called Cyberland on neogaf posted the steamdb info is fake because that user doesn't exist :p

It's good they are addressing it, but really nothing they could say would solve anything. People who have convinced themselves it's coming to PC will continue to think that and believe the statements are lies, while the people who take the statements at face value will believe it's not. Really a no-win situation for them now.

I think the game is going to be good, but I just don't see this franchise taking off. I hope I'm wrong.

It won't be for a lack of marketing. The game is literally plastered over TV and cinema screens. You can't go an hour without at least seeing two TV ads.

It's complete televisual saturation. Wesker would be proud...

So MS are happy to put a few of their big titles on to the PC after a time, contrary to one of the posters. I suppose the future of that sort of thing is more dependant on MS's purview of the Xbox one games in question.

MS are schizophrenic in which games of their first party games make it to PC.

oh i know what you meant, i was being kind of sarcastic lol

RYOrdga.gif

timlot

Banned
I don't think it's a matter of Port begging, it's people excited that they won't have to spend $400 to play a particular game at a lower resolution. With that said, the track history with these type of 'business strategies and language' from Microsoft, that I can see people now waiting (even if it never does comes to PC) only because of similar events in the past.

People can say that about every game on PS4/XB1 if you want to play at the highest resolution/fps. I've seem Battlefield 4 at 2560 x 1440 and it was incredible. The explosions, particles, it just looked like a whole other game compared to what I saw on their respective console versions.

Grief.exe

If you're talking about the kdramastars rumor it's fake btw. The claim that a user called Cyberland on neogaf posted the steamdb info is fake because that user doesn't exist :p

There was never any SteamDB information on Destiny, always knew that rumor was unsubstantiated from the start.

Just referencing Bungie's responses to a potential PC version and Activision's desire for money. Though, to be fair, the publisher may be growing tired of Call of Duty's declining reception on the platform.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That wouldn't make any sense at all. How would you propose they rework the technology for Xbox 360? It's an ambitious open world game designed on an engine that is likely not particularly compatible with such ancient hardware.

This isn't like Titanfall which was built on the aging Source engine (where PS3 and 360 were original targets). There's no way they could pull off a decent version of this game on 360 without massive compromises.

Ambitious open world game? I'm not seeing anything going on that couldn't be pulled off on a last gen system, albeit a little less good looking, and maybe a few less enemies at a time.

Hell, most games are cross gen, so I don't see how this particular game would be impossible.

Kayant

There was never any SteamDB information on Destiny, always knew that rumor was unsubstantiated from the start.

Just referencing Bungie's responses to a potential PC version and Activision's desire for money. Though, to be fair, the publisher may be growing tired of Call of Duty's declining reception on the platform.

Nah I think he is referring to the Activision response, that they think Destiny is a "natural fit" for PC

Shame the game is a bit of an empty shell

Noted... Even though COD is declining as you say am sure they won't past up the opportunity of making more money ;)

farisr

Yup. But before, that VideoGamer.com review had homies like "I KNEW IT. The game sucks"

You can always tell who the hypocrites are when things like this happen

Instead of just saying things like this without any proof, how about actually pointing out people who were saying bad things about the game before and then became interested in it due to the possibility of it coming out on PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ambitious open world game? I'm not seeing anything going on that couldn't be pulled off on a last gen system, albeit a little less good looking, and maybe a few less enemies at a time.

Hell, most games are cross gen, so I don't see how this particular game would be impossible.
It seems to me that the assets were created to a level of quality that would make porting to 360 difficult. Cross-gen games are built that way from the beginning but this title doesn't take that into consideration.

I doubt Sunset Overdrive was designed with scalability in mind. The speed at which you move through the world combined with the asset quality makes it seem like it would be a huge challenge on 360. Let's be clear here as well, most other open world games on 360 ran like garbage. GTAV, Saints Row (all of them), Assassin's Creed, etc were all choppy experiences that never came close to achieving a stable 30 fps.

It's good they are addressing it, but really nothing they could say would solve anything. People who have convinced themselves it's coming to PC will continue to think that and believe the statements are lies, while the people who take the statements at face value will believe it's not. Really a no-win situation for them now.

very true it's a lose/lose situation for them at the end of the day the mistake has lasting consequences of eternity

Synth

Yeah, but what if it simply doesn't catch on? I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decided to drop networking support for the game if there aren't enough players.

How many games has MS ever done this for?

Excluding killing XBL on the OG Xbox, or taking stuff like Gotham TV offline, I can't really think of any examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom