• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Coming To PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobbers

Hold on a second, this Insomniac game isn't 60fps on the Xbox? Damn...was hoping they'd return to that, man. Last great game they made was A Crack in Time, in glorious 60fps.

Insomniac did say something like wanting to give us the best-looking games possible on consoles and that 60 FPS gets in the way of that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, I.. Umm.. What?
He's saying that backwards compatibility isn't an issue on PC and that you can essentially play older games in higher fidelity as time goes on, getting rid of the need for HD remasters that you have to rebuy.

EDIT: Also, Insomniac has never made a PC game before(unlike Crytek and Capcom), which I think makes this port a lot less likely.

The Cowboy

You're comparing a series that's been around since 2002 that has a legion of dedicated fans that will follow it wherever it goes to a new IP that released this year that is next to dead on PC.

Saying Origin has nothing to do with it is just wrong.
Years ago when games started to become Origin exclusive people said "this will kill the game, no one will buy it", now days we know this isn't true.

Saying a game is dead because it requires Origin is just wrong, it affects the sales of the games sure (I'd be stupid to claim a steam release wouldn't increase sales), but it doesn't affect the amount of people playing as much as you think/claim it does.

robotrock

Banned
Insomniac did say something like wanting to give us the best-looking games possible on consoles and that 60 FPS gets in the way of that.

A real shame. 60fps makes the game look better in my eyes. In motion, of course. In promotional screenshots of course the game will look much better if they are working around 30fps.

Welp.

If this is true, I'm just going to wait for it to hit PC. I would double dip, but there are too many other games on my radar right now and I gotta capitalize on my assets lol

Steam Cards pls

This has to be an error. Sunset Overdrive surely will attract new console owners and putting it on pc will just stop that won't it? Microsoft need to hold on to their exclusives. I'm tempted by this but would just hold on for pc version if true

It's up to insomniac.

Nzyme32

He's saying that backwards compatibility isn't an issue on PC and that you can essentially play older games in higher fidelity as time goes on, getting rid of the need for HD remasters that you have to rebuy.

Hypothetically, if MS were to keep doing this, they may as well instigate a Steamplay type of service and allow users to own the game on MS platforms wherever. They seem happy with the singular OS idea, why not expand that to products as well to enhance consumer value. Their mobile first cloud first mentality could even push for streaming via azure. Most likely something like all that would attach to an Xbox Live fee I'd bet, but it is one way of driving home value to customers and having them locked into MS platforms.

So many people here own everything it seems. Next-gen consoles PLUS a fat PC. Seems like overkill at this point. You shouldn't be disappointed when there is some overlap.

It's up to insomniac.

Pretty much. Letting developers keep the IP is all well and good but, the end result, is that you, as a platform holder, really have no say over where that IP could end up next. Sony got burned on things like Crash and Spyro, they learned a long time ago.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hypothetically, if MS were to keep doing this, they may as well instigate a Steamplay type of service and allow users to own the game on MS platforms wherever. They seem happy with the singular OS idea, why not expand that to products as well to enhance consumer value. Their mobile first cloud first mentality could even push for streaming via azure. Most likely something like all that would attach to an Xbox Live fee I'd bet, but it is one way of driving home value to customers and having them locked into MS platforms.
I've wanted to make a thread about a similar idea(but a bit different).

Anteater

holy shit

netscape!

aSefzLu.jpg

Great if actually true. Money driven exclusives are from ebola infested ass intestines.

All exclusives are money driven. There's always going to be a reason for them. It's not always a bad thing, Bayonetta 2 wouldn't have got made without being a money driven exclusive, as a recent example.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's up to insomniac.
And Insomniac are console developers. With Dead Rising 3 and Ryse, those devs had PC experience. I think it would be a *lot* more surprising to see Insomniac voluntarily putting out a PC port. I would be less surprised to see a PS4 version at some point, honestly.

robotrock

Banned
Hope the new Ratchet on PS4 is 60fps, Nexus was 30fps and didn't look better than A Crack in Time at 60fps.

Yes. I am still physically incapable of playing a Ratchet game at 30fps. Insomniac better pull this shit off
And Insomniac are console developers. With Dead Rising 3 and Ryse, those devs had PC experience. I think it would be a *lot* more surprising to see Insomniac voluntarily putting out a PC port. I would be less surprised to see a PS4 version at some point, honestly.

I mean, it'll probably be just as surprising as when they signed a deal with EA and put out a game on a non Sony platform for the first time last year.

EDIT: Also, Insomniac has never made a PC game before(unlike Crytek and Capcom), which I think makes this port a lot less likely.

With the PS4 and XB1 both...essentially being Laptop-esque hardware in a shiny case ?

Not at all, I´d hazard a guess that porting from and to PC has never been easier than this gen, even for a studio without any PC roots.

Lucifon

Cheers for getting the swf dude :) Added to OP.

Yep, OP speaks the truth. Still, I don't expect anything for many months, but it's nice to know it will show up.

I wouldn't gain anything from lying about this :) I was just having a read of the news when it popped up, almost closed it before I spotted the PC wording and went "wait a minute...". Searched on GAF and saw no other mention of it so took a screeny. That said, I imagine it's some kind of screw up, maybe a template they used and left the PC wording in. But a PC version is always possible. Interesting nevertheless.

thuway

There is a direct link to the ad available just a few posts up.

Sweep14

This has to be an error. Sunset Overdrive surely will attract new console owners and putting it on pc will just stop that won't it? Microsoft need to hold on to their exclusives. I'm tempted by this but would just hold on for pc version if true

Yes but Insomniac own the Ip so...

Radec

This might shed some light on why it's coming to PC...

It's not all one sided, Insomniac are apparently very distraught of having backed the wrong horse with the Xbox One. They were hoping for a five million seller, but with the Xbox One install base in dire straits and the market's complete rejection of the Xbox brand, well, you get the picture.

lol. 5 million for an exclusive at this early stage of gen. They won't even get that even on the PS4.

This has to be fake.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

They're making a PC game right now. 4-5 man indie quality game in Unity.

PC to Xbox One is apparently easy for indie developers. I imagine XB1 to PC would be cake for them.

Mr Lakitu

Banned

Yup... Its not about just competing with sony and steam

Its about pushing windows 10... on both pc and living room devices, Competing with android and apple phones/tablets and competing for the living room entertainment hub with all tv ApS etc

I think ur going to see the xbone UI on a lot more devices once dx12 and windows 10 are out

If a pc can boot up into xbone UI, let me navigate using a controller and kinect for windows... Let me party up with anyone on Xbox live, let me purchase and play battlefield 5 and gears of war collection etc... I think that would be all my entertainment stuff in one place if U count all the other tv apps etc on Xbox live

Qassim

I was marginally interested in this game, but not so much that I was considering buying it, at least not at launch. A PC release would kick it up a notch or two, but still probably wouldn't mean I'd buy it. However, I'm not convinced on the advertisement alone, I think at this point it is just a mistake.

Because nobody wants to use Origin and the community is damn near dead because of it.

17n6HLa.png

Battlefield 4 - also on Origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom