• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Gameplay Footage [Up: Official Trailer released!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTM

Just reading through various impressions and saw this.

Moving around the city fills your Style Meter. The higher your Style level, the more amped up your abilities are and the stronger your weapons become. There is a Style level skill tree that you can upgrade which unlocks abilities called Amps. There are different categories of Amps coming in a variety of flavors, like the Direct Shock which sends a line of electricity out when you jump into a melee attack or the Twist of Fate which detonates a nuclear-type explosion as seen in their E3 trailer.

Also mentions that there is some sort of crafting system as well.

Sounds good so far.

The Flash

Banned
spen.gif

Lol.

I hope a good quality gameplay trailer comes soon ;)

Gorillaz

All i saw was the gifs unless a new vid is back up.

So I take it, it's an open world superpowered game ala infamous but instead more "fantasy"?

GobFather

Third person action game set in an open World fighting against a large horde of non human enemies. Can you explain how it's not similar ?.

I thought the same thing when I first saw the reveal, it's like Dead Rising 3 but with a different art style and very social too right? Not that it's a bad thing.

Vinc

Insomniac doesn't like 60 fps anymore. =(

Yeah I know, I guess I'm just hoping they make an exception for this one. Into the Nexus was really hurt by the 30 FPS limit... like a lot. I feel like this game could be even more hurt by it, judging by how fast paced it looks. I hope it's 60 FPS, resolution is secondary.

Pimpwerx

Looks great. Feels like they pulled the grinding shooter sections from a PS3 R&C I owned, then went full open world with the concept. I'm surprised at how well the idea seems to work. I never played JSR. PEACE.

Dabanton

Do we know what else the game offers ?, genuine question. I've not played DR3 but from the gameplay videos I've seen of it, this looks very similar.

The only thing DR3 has in common from reading the article on SO is the fun weapons crafting and a nice colour platte everything else parkour, fast movement around the levels is not in DR3.

I have no idea how people are saying this looks like DR3, I played that game and all the DLC's...I am not seeing the comparison at all. Looks like Infamous/Jet Set/Bioshock(only cus of the skyrails) to me

daman824

All i saw was the gifs unless a new vid is back up.

So I take it, it's an open world superpowered game ala infamous but instead more "fantasy"?
No superpowers (at least, not like infamous superpowers). Game seems like a third person shooter jet set radio.

UrbanRats

Looks pretty cool, though i'm not sure about those animations.

Also, not as visually revolutionary as Jet Set Radio, but that would be an unfair standard to hold up to any game.

I have no idea how people are saying this looks like DR3, I played that game and all the DLC's...I am not seeing the comparison at all. Looks like Infamous/Jet Set/Bioshock(only cus of the skyrails) to me

The people making the comparison probably haven't played DR3 but instead watched a few mins gameplay on YT or looked at a few gifs...

ironcreed

Banned
Just reading through various impressions and saw this.

Moving around the city fills your Style Meter. The higher your Style level, the more amped up your abilities are and the stronger your weapons become. There is a Style level skill tree that you can upgrade which unlocks abilities called Amps. There are different categories of Amps coming in a variety of flavors, like the Direct Shock which sends a line of electricity out when you jump into a melee attack or the Twist of Fate which detonates a nuclear-type explosion as seen in their E3 trailer.

Also mentions that there is some sort of crafting system as well.

Sounds good so far.

Sounds great. This must be the Twist of Fate:

5lgFN2I.jpg

Love how it says 'BOOM' in the explosion.

Dlacy13g

I am sold on this game. After FUSE I was ready to write this one off but damn that looks great! Love the JetSet feel to the mechanics as well.

Trevelyon

This looks gorgeous, really digging the JGR like stylized look. Also, it looks like it out Sucker Punched 'Sucker Punch' on both that sticky Sly geometry hopping and that fast InFamous city traversal. Very excited for this, was wondering which Insomniac would turn up to this party.

The graphics look great and perfectly convey the art direction they are going for with this game. Gameplay looks fun, but the video doesn't show enough to give you a true idea of what its like to move around the world. It seems like they are holding back a lot still.

Gorillaz

No superpowers (at least, not like infamous superpowers). Game seems like a third person shooter jet set radio.
oh ok cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RyRy7_K4fs

Looks like a better game in the gifs than in the actual video... I don't know what is the goal in it... is a race? you have to kill all the enemies?

Not sure, they will probably explain it better at e3 but I'm assuming it's an openworld zombie game. Probably will have some coop knowing it's from Insomniac

shwimpy

Wow... those gifs look fantastic. Too bad I missed the leaked video. Looks like Insomniac going back to their fun and colorful roots.

But what kind of performance we looking at here? 900p/30fps?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Third person action game set in an open World fighting against a large horde of non human enemies. Can you explain how it's not similar ?.

That's a pretty base comparison.

• DR is about much larger herds of enemies by default.
  • DR is about in-close combat, with guns as a bonus. This game looks like the exact opposite.
  • DR's character are mostly normal humans, with no superhuman traversal abilities.
  • There are no Vehicles inSO so far. DR3 makes them very relevant, to combat slower player movement.
  • SO seems like the buildings are just there for platforms and wall-running. DR's buildings were all interactive and able to be entered.
  • So far, we see no resource gathering. Resource management is a big part of DR.

The open world and light-hearted personality might be similar, but SO looks as similar to DR3 as it does to something like Lost Planet or Crackdown. It's a very simple, surface level comparison, that'll completely fall apart when one gets into individual gameplay.

One thing I love about this game that I haven't seen anyone mention is the absolute lack of UI. Nothing but glorious gameplay visuals on the screen.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

If you play it, you'd be able to tell that it looks nothing like this game from a game play aspect.. SO is more of a platformer, it's main character is more of a Super hero, it's more cartoony, you can wall run, grind, scale buildings, it's a brighter, more colorful world. I'd say crackdown looks more similar to this game, game play wise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My immediate reactions:
- It makes the same promise as Crackdown 2, but with Insomniac's sort of buoyant sense of humour and zest.
- It looks gorgeous and very vibrant. Aesthetically it's like a fever dream skate punk; comparisons to JSR are definitely earned visually, although the latter has a flatter palette.
- I hope the rails system for traversal feels very tight.
- I hope that the tons of trash mobs feel satisfying to defeat rather than nuisances, Crackdown 2 occasionally veered into the latter category.
- I was very interested from the CG trailer and pedigree and continue to be interested.
- As soon as I finish the Bureau, I'll be starting Fuse.

My immediate reactions:
- It makes the same promise as Crackdown 2, but with Insomniac's sort of buoyant sense of humour and zest.
- It looks gorgeous and very vibrant. Aesthetically it's like a fever dream skate punk; comparisons to JSR are definitely earned visually, although the latter has a flatter palette.
- I hope the rails system for traversal feels very tight.
- I hope that the tons of trash mobs feel satisfying to defeat rather than nuisances, Crackdown 2 occasionally veered into the latter category.
- I was very interested from the CG trailer and pedigree and continue to be interested.
- As soon as I finish the Bureau, I'll be starting Fuse.

That's not such a good idea.

Might I suggest Binary Domain instead?

Looks really cool. Love all the infamous vibes and colors. Plus it might have the sense of humor of R&C. Won't be able to play it for awhile. =/

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Looks fan-fuckiing-tastic.

I'm a huge Insomniac fan, so I've had my eye on this one since its reveal. Unfortunately, I don't buy consoles for just one game, so I'm waiting for more titles that interest me to hit the Xbox ONE before I bite (and maybe a price cut). So far, though, this game is in the forefront of me purchasing one when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom