• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset TV in-game message to reviewers

The lack of advertising seems to be prevalent on the gaming sites I frequent. No banner ads or preview articles about certain features. The late October launch date I didn't even know about until I checked on Amazon. I'm glad to hear they have some tv ads out there, I don't watch much tv anymore.

I think the ironic edgy humor is supposed to appeal to the younger gaming demographic. Nothing wrong with that. And the game looks amazing I just haven't played it. Actually debating the bundle seriously.

I just really don't understand this kind of thought process.

It's all ridiculously tongue in cheek and complete self-awareness. Nothing about this is trying to be edgy or cool. It's 100% corny and over the top humor.

If it's not your kind of humor I get it but when you see it as "trying way too hard" I have to question your rationale.

Some of this shit is starting to sound like when DmC came out and people either couldn't or didn't want to realize that it was all tongue in cheek.

More people need to learn what satire is, I think. Maybe it's just me, but the satirical nature of the game where they're constantly poking fun at the ridiculousness of their game (and video games in general) is really clear.

Tegernako

Banned
More people need to learn what satire is, I think. Maybe it's just me, but the satirical nature of the game where they're constantly poking fun at the ridiculousness of their game (and video games in general) is really clear.
I was saying that earlier, it's not like you have to find it funny even knowing it's satire. But the whole point of the extreme "dude bro, 4th wall, I'm unique, cringe jokes" is so the game can make fun of them.

People are thinking that the game literally thinks it's funny and edgy with that humor are missing the point entirely.

Lucent

I was saying that earlier, it's not like you have to find it funny even knowing it's satire. But the whole point of the extreme "dude bro, 4th wall, I'm unique, cringe jokes" is so the game can make fun of them.

People are thinking that the game literally thinks it's funny and edgy with that humor are missing the point entirely.

Yeah that's what I think too. I don't get why people are taking it so seriously.

v0mitg0d

joke or note, any sort message from devs to reviewers to not use some terms or words in the reviews is just a bad idea.

also from all info and videos I've seen Sunset don't seems anything special at all, it's mix of old ideas from Insomniac older games with other thing from other games with nothing new or exciting really. Insomniac better not get mad if they get some reviewers not liking their game or called it overhyped.

As someone who did a preview of the video

First 2 hours of gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzhT-k2MsGo

..and saw that very message, I completely took it as a joke--not seriously--it goes with the overall humor with the game.

dejay

Banned
Preloading now!

Not because this thread convinced me, but because this thread reminded me of the last thread that convinced me.

neshcom

Banned
Seemed kinda corny. Dude doesn't fall flat on his face speaking, so he's better than the majority of the population, but the self-depreciation was just corny writing to me. But props for them realizing they've got an outlet and not being dead boring.

Fezan

I have no doubt that this game will he good. It looks like ratchrt and clank open world edition which is a huge compliment. But the jokes are so bad. I know its self aware but its not amusing at all. On ther hand humor in ratchet series was top notch

rac

Banned
I understand it would take a lot more work but if they put these videos in the game I think they should be animated, it'd be less jarring.

Mucudadada

Insomniac Games
I understand it would take a lot more work but if they put these videos in the game I think they should be animated, it'd be less jarring.

We actually did try that one time before the show started to air. Might do it again for a special episode or something, but ya - for the pace these come out - it would be very difficult to do them all that way.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Actually, Disaster, I'm interested to see if the media comes out with the same type of complaints for this title. I think Microsoft as a publisher is much more adept at working with the media and getting them access to and comfortable with the title, showcasing certain features that appeal to the western media, etc. What happened to A Crack in Time was frustrating and what happened to Resistance 3 was even worse and an absolute hatchet job...but it did seem like Sony couldn't right care.

The game looks like Ratchet and Clank to me so I'm interested to see if (honestly what seems to be to me a minor) tonal shift dramatically changes things. I think Microsoft is a far better publisher.

Heh, I don't know if you've seen any interviews but it seems like Resistance 3 wasn't the type of game that Insomniac really wanted to make. Also, I do feel like the series was pretty generic. Another brown/gray shooter.

You say that as if Sunset Overdrive and Resistance are similar in style/play.

I don't know what this is based on (I'd love to see why you think that), but it's unfortunate you didn't look very deeply into those games because they are not generic. That is lazy.

Nvzman

This is the one game that makes me wish I had an Xbox One. However, every time I look at it I keep thinking that it looks like inFamous 1 & 2 mobility mixed with Ratchet and Clank gunplay. I can't be the only one who sees this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've had this preordered since I got my X1 back in June, but I'm starting to wonder if I really want this as a day one purchase over something like Dragon Age?
I absolutely love the look of the game - it's beautiful. But watching some walk through vids...I can see myself losing interest, and shelving the game like I did with Infamous SS.

Edit: really surprised at the number of F-bombs the game drops. I thought this was a really cool, colorful games kids might enjoy, but the language is a bit much.

VinFTW

I've had this preordered since I got my X1 back in June, but I'm starting to wonder if I really want this as a day one purchase over something like Dragon Age?
I absolutely love the look of the game - it's beautiful. But watching some walk through vids...I can see myself losing interest, and shelving the game like I did with Infamous SS.

Edit: really surprised at the number of F-bombs the game drops. I thought this was a really cool, colorful games kids might enjoy, but the language is a bit much.

You can turn off the profanity via the filter. Same as the gore filter.

So much salt in here

Game looks like fun.....looking foward to it

People are trying very hard to justify their (reasonable and well-deserved) hatred of Microsoft after the Xbox One launch, despite Microsoft falling away from what made the system initially unpalatable and great games coming out for it.

They don't want to admit SO looks good because a) they don't want to give Microsoft the satisfaction of winning them back and b) they don't want to have to consider buying another $400 beep-boop machine.

I know this because I'm coming to grips with it myself.

I won't buy an Xbox One for this but it is at the top of the list of games I will buy whenever it is I get around to finding an Xbox One a sound investment.

Timeless

If this same message ends up in the final game, then that's fine. If it only "activates" to pre-release players, it's a little slimy. Movies, games, etc. often have "press kits" sent along with the item to be reviewed. They include suggestions like what difficulty to play on, and what not to mention in the review (usually later-game stuff). This goes beyond that by changing the game being reviewed. It's the same story with day-one patches and updates.

There's no part in the movie Fight Club where the main character comes on-screen and makes small talk with the person reviewing it. Not even for the pre-release screener copies.

Any decent game reviewer *has* to ignore pandering like this -- it's cute and funny, but if the customer can't see it, it may as well not exist. It's the same reason sites like Giant Bomb wait for multiplayer games to go live before posting the review. Only the consumer experience matters; a smooth pre-launch experience is irrelevant in a review..

tuna_love

Banned
If this same message ends up in the final game, then that's fine. If it only "activates" to pre-release players, it's a little slimy. Movies, games, etc. often have "press kits" sent along with the item to be reviewed. They include suggestions like what difficulty to play on, and what not to mention in the review (usually later-game stuff). This goes beyond that by changing the game being reviewed. It's the same story with day-one patches and updates.

There's no part in the movie Fight Club where the main character comes on-screen and makes small talk with the person reviewing it. Not even for the pre-release screener copies.

Any decent game reviewer *has* to ignore pandering like this -- it's cute and funny, but if the customer can't see it, it may as well not exist. It's the same reason sites like Giant Bomb wait for multiplayer games to go live before posting the review. Only the consumer experience matters; a smooth pre-launch experience is irrelevant in a review..

Or its just a joke and you are completely over thinking it.

Synth

The game will have Sunset TV episodes that will be updated over time. As the game is not yet out, they created a placeholder episode which somewhat approximates the sort of messages that will be in the game at release, only directed at reviews this time rather than standard consumers (because reviewers are pretty much the only people playing it right now).

Why's everything gotta be an evil master plan?

Mucudadada

Insomniac Games

I literally say in the episode that the series will be weekly when the game comes out.

So after watching a ton of gameplay these last two days, it seems the slowness if often due to the way it's played. It's actually kind of convinced me, enough so that I pre-ordered the bundle.

webkatt

gamenguide.com said:
Microsoft is now offering Xbox Live Rewards members 15,000 rewards credits – $15 in real money – for each Xbox One or Xbox 360 game they preorder through the Microsoft Store for up to three games. This is an increase from the regular 10,000 points a preorder will usually get players. This offer lasts through this upcoming holiday season.

Where is the digital pre-order love MS?

ryhWo88.png

jedimike

Where is the digital pre-order love MS?

ryhWo88.png

??? You quoted the digital offer. $15 back plus some extra in game goods.

Edit: After further reading, now I'm not sure. I thought it was an automatic thing for digital preorders for rewards members... Now I don't know.

Wizman23

Banned
I pre ordered/ pre loaded the deluxe addition off of the XB1 store on the console. Between this, the MCC (pre loaded as well), and Destiny I think the rest of 2014 is good for my gaming tastes.

Quick question on the Xbox Rewards Program. If you are a member, do you actually have to do anything to get credit for buying games? I have bought Forza Horizon 2, Sunset OD, and the MCC which should qualify for 3 games and 20,000 points, but only 1 card punch shows up on my account. Do you not get credit until the game is released or am I missing something?

In terms of gameplay, I had my doubts early on. Certain players may have to recall muscle memory that’s been dormant in the cracks of their brain for years. See, with Sunset Overdrive you’re playing two games simultaneously — one is a scaled back 3rd person shooter, the other a game about traversal, verticality, mobility. Honestly it’s a bit like playing Ratchet & Clank and Jet Set Radio at the same time. As a result, I initially fell back on the shooter side of my brain, but that was a mistake. Stay on the ground and you’ll be dead in a heartbeat.
To put it another way, you just have to be patient with the control setup. Take some time to get used to it. It feels downright daunting at first, this necessity to be constantly grinding rails while shooting the bad guys. You need keen map awareness to keep your momentum going (rails and bounce-tastic platforms are everywhere), and enemy awareness to avoid being swarmed. But once I got the hang of it, the gameplay flow became mesmerizing. Just traveling around Sunset City is a blast as you challenge yourself with acrobatic feats and superhuman parkour abilities.

I’m two hours deep into Sunset Overdrive’s story mode, and I could gaze at this game all day. Much virtual ink has been spent observing the game’s vibrant color palette for a reason: it looks fantastic! Sunset City is just bursting with color, from its secondary characters to its storefronts, from its horizon and even its mutant inhabitants. It’s a welcome change and even seems to amplify the Xbox One as a new-gen console in ways that Ryse couldn’t. Not since Mirror’s Edge has a video game just “popped” so memorably.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/10/18/sunset-overdrive-first-impressions-2-hours-in-the-awesomepocalypse/

JaggedSac

I pre ordered/ pre loaded the deluxe addition off of the XB1 store on the console. Between this, the MCC (pre loaded as well), and Destiny I think the rest of 2014 is good for my gaming tastes.

Quick question on the Xbox Rewards Program. If you are a member, do you actually have to do anything to get credit for buying games? I have bought Forza Horizon 2, Sunset OD, and the MCC which should qualify for 3 games and 20,000 points, but only 1 card punch shows up on my account. Do you not get credit until the game is released or am I missing something?

I pre-ordered FH2 and SO and have two punches. I believe the SO one took a while to show up as a punch.

Dude...so close, need time machine!

I actually can't remember the last time I've been this hyped about a game. It just looks so dam fun. Hopefully it don't disappoint.

I turned on one of these 2 hour streams but quickly turned it off after the character creation as I felt it was already spoiling the experience.

Top Bottom