• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset TV in-game message to reviewers

tuna_love

Banned
joke or note, any sort message from devs to reviewers to not use some terms or words in the reviews is just a bad idea.

also from all info and videos I've seen Sunset don't seems anything special at all, it's mix of old ideas from Insomniac older games with other thing from other games with nothing new or exciting really. Insomniac better not get mad if they get some reviewers not liking their game or called it overhyped.
Fucking lol

That was a clever video. People should be happy that a dev is making an effort to highlight a feature of the game for reviewers so they can actually mention it in their review.

nbthedude

I hope aim wrong but this game seems like the definition of trying too hard. I kind of wonder how much Insomniac's future is riding on it. They've not had a bit hit game in a while.

jedimike

Just preordered the digital game. I was going to wait for reviews but it's plain to see that this game will easily provide $60 of entertainment and it's great to see the developers getting involved with the gaming community.

Plus Xbox rewards is giving $15 back. So I ordered CoD too. 😉 I can see myself playing both of these through the end of the year at a minimum and hopefully through spring too.

OT: I wonder what percentage of games are being purchased digitally compared to retail sales. For games, it seems like NPD doesn't deliver an accurate assessment of the market.

Recall

joke or note, any sort message from devs to reviewers to not use some terms or words in the reviews is just a bad idea.

also from all info and videos I've seen Sunset don't seems anything special at all, it's mix of old ideas from Insomniac older games with other thing from other games with nothing new or exciting really. Insomniac better not get mad if they get some reviewers not liking their game or called it overhyped.

And this everything wrong with the hobby we all enjoy. Lighten up and stop trying to make something out of nothing.

With every passing interview and video, this game smells more and more of "trying way too hard". I mean, the antics were entirely appropriate in games like R&C which were silly to begin with. But the edgy, 2cool4u, breaking-the-fourth-wall-lol personality of this game is very off-putting.

But yeah, "no fun allowed" and all that. I wonder if the game will live up to the standards of Insomniac's other titles.

So just like every Videogame from every studio? This is an incredibly dumb way to look at a game because it describes every game. You could take Sunset out of that paragraph, add in Bloodborne and boom, sentence still works. Or Halo, Mario, CoD, God of War, Batman. See what I mean?

With every passing interview and video, this game smells more and more of "trying way too hard". I mean, the antics were entirely appropriate in games like R&C which were silly to begin with. But the edgy, 2cool4u, breaking-the-fourth-wall-lol personality of this game is very off-putting.

But yeah, "no fun allowed" and all that. I wonder if the game will live up to the standards of Insomniac's other titles.

I just really don't understand this kind of thought process.

It's all ridiculously tongue in cheek and complete self-awareness. Nothing about this is trying to be edgy or cool. It's 100% corny and over the top humor.

If it's not your kind of humor I get it but when you see it as "trying way too hard" I have to question your rationale.

Some of this shit is starting to sound like when DmC came out and people either couldn't or didn't want to realize that it was all tongue in cheek.

So just like every Videogame from every studio? This is an incredibly dumb way to look at a game because it describes every game. You could take Sunset out of that paragraph, add in Bloodborne and boom, sentence still works. Or Halo, Mario, CoD, God of War, Batman. See what I mean?
Insomniac's games gave been called Generic, nothing special, rehash, just a collection of old ideas, etc for over a decade, R&C, Resistance, an Fuse. Even their breakout hit, Spyro, was just cashing in on the 3d platforming craze of the mid-90s.

Only difference is that in the past, the people defending Insomniac's brand of game design were on Playstation. This time, the defenders seem to be on the Xbox due to where Insomniac's newest game is landing. The platform changed but the complaints and retorts from attackers / defenders has remained the same.

There's a touch of irony that the same fanbase defending Sunset Overdrive was the one calling Resistance generic and nothing special last-gen. But whatever. Not worth fighting over.

Seems like many Sony fans are still upset over Insomniac making an Xbox exclusive.
See above, cutie.

TheF1BOB

Banned

It's all ridiculously tongue in cheek and complete self-awareness. Nothing about this is trying to be edgy or cool. It's 100% corny and over the top humor.

If it's not your kind of humor I get it but when you see it as "trying way too hard" I have to question your rationale.

For a game like Sunset Overdrive? 100% agree with ya but...

Some of this shit is starting to sound like when DmC came out and people either couldn't or didn't want to realize that it was all tongue in cheek.

I actually found the writing in DmC offensive.

it was that bad.

Agree with everything except...

it was that bad.

I'm not necessarily saying that DmC's writing was genius or anything but I've seen countless posts and opinions saying that Ninja Theory was trying to be edgy and cool and things of that nature. I mean a slice of pizza covers up Dante's dick in the beginning of the game for god's sake.

I'm just seeing similar parallels here. Bugs me a little bit I suppose lol.

Bgamer90

Banned
Only difference is that in the past, the people defending Insomniac's brand of game design were on Playstation. This time, the defenders seem to be on the Xbox due to where Insomniac's newest game is landing. The platform changed but the complaints and retorts from attackers / defenders has remained the same.

So where does that put someone like me who used a PS1 and PS2 as their main console during their respective gens, loving the PS1 Spyro and PS2 Ratchet and Clank games but is now mainly using an Xbox One in part due to games like Sunset Overdrive?

There's a touch of irony that the same fanbase defending Sunset Overdrive was the one calling Resistance generic and nothing special last-gen. But whatever. Not worth fighting over.

Heh, I don't know if you've seen any interviews but it seems like Resistance 3 wasn't the type of game that Insomniac really wanted to make. Also, I do feel like the series was pretty generic. Another brown/gray shooter.

You say that as if Sunset Overdrive and Resistance are similar in style/play.

Tegernako

Banned
Seems like many Sony fans are still upset over Insomniac making an Xbox exclusive.
There was one guy who said to an Insomniac developer here that "A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games."

Like he was seriously upset that the game was on the Xbox One XD

There was one guy who said to an Insomniac developer here that "A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games."

Like he was seriously upset that the game was on the Xbox One XD

I remember that thread! I was still lurking back then, that's when I learned how tags work XD

Oh.

"You just don't get it"

Got it.

Did you see that launch trailer? "Oh lol! they satirized serious military shooters! So clevar lolo epicmeme"

"can you save the city? of course you can, it's a ***** videogame!"

"an energy drink is mutating people! oh noes!" (should've just gone all the way and said "A bad batch of GamerChug Mt. Brew soda is causing zombies to rise from the earth!!!!!")

Yeah, it's satirizing the sort of games that made 360 popular. But the rest of us have been doing that since 2010. Which is why I said "trying a bit too hard".

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Insomniac's games gave been called Generic, nothing special, rehash, just a collection of old ideas, etc for over a decade, R&C, Resistance, an Fuse. Even their breakout hit, Spyro, was just cashing in on the 3d platforming craze of the mid-90s.

See above, cutie.

I wasn't referring to you.

Mind you, I love the PS3 Ratchet games. Haven't played the PS2 ones. I'd assume they're similar. Fuse was crap, Resistance was ok ish. Sunset looks like the Ratchet games on crack. Nothing wrong with a game that's doing its best to stand out in a fairly saturated market.

tuna_love

Banned
Oh.

"You just don't get it"

Got it.

Did you see that launch trailer? "Oh lol! they satirized serious military shooters! So clevar lolo epicmeme"

"an energy drink is mutating people! oh noes!" (should've just gone all the way and said "A bad batch of GamerChug Mt. Brew soda is causing zombies to rise from the earth!!!!!")

Yeah, it's satirizing the sort of games that made 360 popular. But the rest of us have been doing that since 2010. Which is why I said "trying a bit too hard".
Who is the rest of us?

So where does that put someone like me who used a PS1 and PS2 as their main console during their respective gens, loving the PS1 Spyro and PS2 Ratchet and Clank games but is now mainly using an Xbox One in part due to games like Sunset Overdrive?
It puts you .... on the Xbox One? If you've been a fan of Insomniac titles over the years, then you're already well-innoculated against the common complaints of "looks generic" that Insomniac games often seem to get. If someone has played Playstation, this does not come as a surprise. If someone is an Xbox gamer and this is their first taste of an Insomniac game, then yeah I can see why you'd get all defensive, but this sort of condemnation is 100% par-for-the-course for an Insomniac game.

Just trying to point that out.

Heh, I don't know if you've seen any interviews but it seems like Resistance 3 wasn't the type of game that Insomniac really wanted to make. Also, I do feel like the series was pretty generic. Another brown/gray shooter.
Series also had some of the most frantic battles of any FPS of last gen, some great weapons, good and sometimes great enemy AI, solid level design, forward-thinking multiplayer modes (esp in R2), and large hordes of enemies.

You know, a typical Insomniac game that has more underneath the hood than people think.

You say that as if Sunset Overdrive and Resistance are similar in style/play.
Uh, what?

R&C was quite unique when it came out you know?... a platformer with guns.
I agree it was quite unique. That has nothing to do with what I said. I'm pointing out that Insomniac games have a long history of being called generic, same old, nothing special, borrowing from older games, etc whether or not that is the truth. Xbox One gamers are acting like the criticism against Sunset Overdrive is some kind of console war vendetta. It isn't, or if it is, then they're getting a taste of what PS gamers have dealt with over the last decade (personally, I think it's just a common knock that seems to follow Insomniac, not something as devious as console war b.s.)

Who is the rest of us?
All of the people who have been poking fun at the "serious military bro-dude shooter" trope.

danwarb

That pretty funny. Good one.

It puts you .... on the Xbox One? If you've been a fan of Insomniac titles over the years, then you're already well-innoculated against the common complaints of "looks generic" that Insomniac games often seem to get. If someone has played Playstation, this does not come as a surprise. If someone is an Xbox gamer and this is their first taste of an Insomniac game, then yeah I can see why you'd get all defensive, but this sort of condemnation is 100% par-for-the-course for an Insomniac game.

Series also had some of the most frantic battles of any FPS of last gen, some great weapons, good and sometimes great enemy AI, solid level design, forward-thinking multiplayer modes (esp in R2), and large hordes of enemies.

You know, a typical Insomniac game that has more underneath the hood than people think.

Uh, what?

I agree it was quite unique. That has nothing to do with what I said. I'm pointing out that Insomniac games have a long history of being called generic, same old, nothing special, borrowing from older games, etc whether or not that is the truth. Xbox One gamers are acting like the criticism against Sunset Overdrive is some kind of console war vendetta. It isn't, or if it is, then they're getting a taste of what PS gamers have dealt with over the last decade (personally, I think it's just a common knock that seems to follow Insomniac, not something as devious as console war b.s.)

All of the people who have been poking fun at the "serious military bro-dude shooter" trope.

Now i get you.

Bgamer90

Banned

....(personally, I think it's just a common knock that seems to follow Insomniac, not something as devious as console war b.s.)

Just seemed like you were generalizing. My mistake if you weren't then.

Just seemed like you were generalizing. My mistake if you weren't then.
No big deal. As someone who has also played a lot of Insomniac games over the years and likes pretty much every one except R&C:A4O and Fuse, I'm no stranger to the criticism that their titles seem to get.

That's why I chimed in. No reason for people to get upset at the criticism for Sunset Overdrive. it's just standard initiation to the Insomniac fanclub.

Synth

What happened in 2010 that was so special? That's like 5 years after the 360 came out. What were you all waiting on?

EDIT: Also, how would this be Insomniac "trying too hard" if they would have been on the other side of the fence with you at that point? That's like finding a comedian naturally funny, but then saying he's trying too hard once he expands beyond your local scene to new international audiences... with roughly the same material.

Anybody been seeing any TV spots for Sunset Overdrive? i haven't seen shit in the last week. Hope it get's the marketing bucks to get some exposure. Looks entertaining.

Bessy67

Anybody been seeing any TV spots for Sunset Overdrive? i haven't seen shit in the last week. Hope it get's the marketing bucks to get some exposure. Looks entertaining.
I've seen quite a few on ESPN. I think there were a couple during the NFL games last week too.

shandy706

That reminds me of a post I found a while back about this game on just how differently people can view a game. I find the humor to be hit or miss but I find the graphics style, the tease of how fun the game may be with friends, and the traversal system in addition to the "don't give a shit, just have fun!" to be the reasons why I'm interested in this game. But someone else might see all that and form a completely different opinion, this is NOT my post:

"Eh, I think #1 post is onto something.

1.) Remove the primarily introverted and nerdy cast (Ratchet, Clank, and Al), and replace them with a gormless, smug...douche..blah blah blah

How do you classify a 100% custom character?

So right out of the gate these "points" are wrong.

The other "points" also have inaccurate/false "facts" throughout that post.

There's a difference between opinion and just being way off base.

abadguy

Banned

See above, cutie.

Interesting....Got any proof of the same people "defending" SO, shitting on Insomniac games last gen?

Izuna

Banned
I thought Resistance was generic as fuuuck, like some Medal of Honour shit before I actually played it. Damn those alternative fires were fun, especially that bubble gun.

Sunset Overdrive is quite the opposite. It looks amazing, so colourful, but the gameplay honestly doesn't seem like its for me. But then I pre-ordered it anyway because I don't have to ask my Mom to buy games for me anymore.

It's a game. There is no conspiracy here. They are making a joke with the message. I mean, not laughing at a joke is one thing, but to be offended by a joke not directed at you? Maybe you should buy a fun game for your system to play.

neurophd

So much concern in this thread...I wonder how many of you worried about the humor planned on purchasing this game. The messaging and tone of this game has been consistent from the original E3 reveal a couple years ago.

JaggedSac

Oh.

"You just don't get it"

Got it.

You are just too cool. An elite perhaps.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I don't really see how it's "trying too hard." I usually never understand that comment when it's used in other scenarios either.

There trying too hard because they're clearly trying to entertain me and I withstood their effort. I win. They lose!
They should try harder next time.

That sunset tv thing seems annoying that its in the game world. In the video it seems like you can hear the guy talking even if you don't click to watch STV

Gusto

I love insomniac, but didn't really enjoy what I played of it. The game didn't have a natural flow to it. Now everything that I see in the trailers looks hella fun, but nope I wasn't feeling it at all.

See above, cutie.

I can only speak for myself, but the last Insomniac game I bought was Spyro on the PS1. I have no loyalty or even a dog in the fight as I have all the consoles(Wii U too) and primarily play most games on the PC anyways.

abadguy

Banned

-Doesn't try to be "realistic"
-Doesn't try to be a movie
-Completely embraces fantasy and absurdity the way games used to more often then they do now instead of trying to be super srs Instead focusing on fun.
- We now live in an era where you will read/hear people complain about a game being "too "gamey" !

I was already getting this game but watching the two hour stream pretty much solidified my purchase that much more. It reminded me of Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast with a bit of Blue Stinger mixed in. Blasting enemies while racking up skill points. No shitty "auto platforming" All this game needed was a JSR caliber soundtrack.

Lady Gaia

it was that bad.

It was beyond bad. I wanted to like it, got the game for free and couldn't bear to play it. Unlike some, I wasn't so much concerned about the changes to Dante or the stylistic choices in the game, but the writing and treatment of women in the opening of the game was just cringe-inducing.

Love the plan to update players about events via Sunset TV once the game is out, hadn't heard of that before.

Nice one jstevenson and anyone else from Insomniac who might be keeping tabs on this thread!

Thanks. There's some more stuff involved with the community that we haven't really talked about yet that I hope people will find interesting.

Tegernako

Banned
Thanks. There's some more stuff involved with the community that we haven't really talked about yet that I hope people will find interesting.
Okay quick question, that Vinyl Launcher Gun, what music does it launch? If it launched like Epica or AC/DC I can't see it doing much damage but if it launches like Rebbecca Black Vinyls would it do more damage?

Neat message and importantly showed off some advanced traversal moves. I've seen some streams and have watched players get better at the game over a few hours but still not get into some of these moves very much. There is depth to the traversal here. The game really seems built on the idea of staying off the ground.

This game seems to have a learning curve too. This is a great thing but can hurt reviews so I hope this little video helps reviewers really explore the mechanics.

Lucent

Waiting for that OT to launch on day one along with the game. Love the cartoon look and crazy action and mobility. Mutants... EVERYWHERE!

You're not so evil anymore. lol

Can't wait for this game though. Probably gonna rework my avatar in preparation for the game. Since I don't know what my actual character will look like yet, I'll just use the style of the character that's been used for the promotions.

Top Bottom