• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunsoft and Gaijinworks Team Up in NA: Blaster Master to VC and NIHON TELENET RIGHTS

duckroll

Phoenix Fang said:
Will this also be for XBLA and PSN or just the Wii?

Well...

Initial plans are to quickly begin publication of the original software releases on Virtual Console systems available on the Wii and other platforms. Then new development of key titles in the library will be initiated, targeting the best and most-wanted to be remade for current consoles and services. Given that many of the Telenet series had only one of the installments released in the US, some of these Virtual Console and remade releases will be seen for the first time in Western markets.

It seems the press release is using "Virtual Console" as a catch-all phrase for Wii VC, XBLA and PSN, since it specifically mentions "other platforms" and "current consoles and services".

duckroll said:
Well...

It seems the press release is using "Virtual Console" as a catch-all phrase for Wii VC, XBLA and PSN, since it specifically mentions "other platforms" and "current consoles and services".

Thanks ...didn't see that part there.

I wholly support a Bionic Commando: Rearmed remake of all of the Valis games!

Or even a new one like that. SOMETHING that's not an awful hentai game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
OMG!!!! OMG OMG OMG... glad I "believed the hype" on this one, since it just made my day pretty big-time :D Also goes nicely with the Hardcore Gaming 101 article posted on Exile recently.

Gaiares! Cosmic Fantasy! Valis! Traysia! EXILE!!!!! Hopefully we get a "fixed" Exile 2 Wicked Phenomenon too.

And you KNOW you want to do a US translation of Tenshi no Uta, or possibly some of the Xak games... ;)

I have to wonder if this also means they can republish Super Valis on the SNES. It'd be cool to get a sort of mashup of that and the PCE Valis IV since there were elements from both I thought were a bit better in each.

Needs awesome boxart.

2jch36g.jpg

2kixat.jpg

90riae.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I only recently played Valis III for Genesis for the first time. While it was somewhat enjoyable in that simple, early 16-bit action game sort of way, I have a hard time respecting a 2D game that can't scroll properly. The field of view is split about 2/3 with stuff behind you and only 1/3 with stuff in front of you, and apparently several games in the series were like this? That's crazy.

kazuo

So does this mean that Sunsoft has the rights to Telenet-published games developed by Wolfteam? Or do the Wolfteam Ips belong to Namco?

Torgo

Victor

PLEASE

PSN!!!

I was seriously JUST playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 over the weekend, and was saying how much I would love to get it on the PSP and PS3.

What I would love to see:
Albert Odyssey series
Firepower 2000
Aero the Acrobat 1&2
Gaiares
Cosmic Fantasy I-IV (I know, localization)
both Exile games (TG16/PCE)
Final Zone 2 and Red Alert (only if they have the voice acting from the TG16 US versions)
Sol Feace

Awesome news Victor, seriously. This warms my old-school heart!

Datschge

kazuo said:
So does this mean that Sunsoft has the rights to Telenet-published games developed by Wolfteam? Or do the Wolfteam Ips belong to Namco?
The only Wolfteam IPs belonging to Bandai Namco are the Tales games. Except for some corner cases (Crystal Chaser and Shinsengumi published by Brother, all the Sega CD ports of Data East laser disc games like Road Avenger) the portfolio should be included in Telenet Japan's assets.

Hey Vic,

The PC version of Silver Star Story Complete was released in Japan but when being ported to the US it was canceled for "technical reasons".

Could you tell us what happened?

Sixfortyfive said:
I only recently played Valis III for Genesis for the first time. While it was somewhat enjoyable in that simple, early 16-bit action game sort of way, I have a hard time respecting a 2D game that can't scroll properly. The field of view is split about 2/3 with stuff behind you and only 1/3 with stuff in front of you, and apparently several games in the series were like this? That's crazy.

For anyone who doesn't know the Valis series...

The Valis games are essentially gauntlets of enemies jumping at you at the last second that you have to memorize the locations of, interspersed with some frustrating bossfights. I mean, they're decent games, but it definitely isn't my favorite kind of platformer. It's focused almost entirely on memorization and not just having fun... I somehow played Super Valis IV all the way to the last level before giving up in frustration at the extremely frustrating bossfights in the boss gauntlet there, but I don't know if it was worth all that effort... I'm sure the fact that the playable characters are scantily-clad anime girls draws people to play the games, but they're at least as much frustrating as they are fun, in my opinion.

The Turbo CD Valis II, III, and IV titles do have saving, so that you can pick up from the level you were last at, but the Genesis titles, the SNES one, and the first one on Turbo CD don't have that (The first and fourth Turbo CD titles did not have US releases, but the rest of the games did). The versions of each game on each platform are usually completely different games -- Valis II Turbo CD and Syd of Valis/Valis SD for Genesis have completely different levels, and the same is true for the TCD and Genesis Valis III and TCD and SNES Valis IV. Valis I for the Genesis and TCD are the same though, unlike the rest -- the TCD version is an enhanced version of the Genesis game, which is a remake of the original Valis game for earlier systems (Japan only titles, I think HG101 has a nice article explaining it all). It's just too bad that they didn't put saving in it, it came out after the TCD versions of II, III, and IV...

Obviously with emulation or Virtual Console some of this will be alleviated because many of the ones without saving do have infinite continues, but on the original systems it's annoying.

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Hey Vic,

The PC version of Silver Star Story Complete was released in Japan but when being ported to the US it was canceled for "technical reasons".

He's said before on GAF that it was because it was an extremely buggy port, I believe.

Yeah, there we go, found the quote: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1634075&postcount=63

Torgo said:
Firepower 2000

This one's actually Super SWIV, from the European developer/publisher SCi, the developers of the whole SWIV series, which included SWIV (for various computers popular in Europe -- Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, and Acorn Archimedes), Mega SWIV for the Genesis, and SWIV for GBA, all of which were Europe-only. The only other US-released title was SWIV 3D Assault for the PC.

Anyway, Sunsoft just published the SNES game in the US and renamed it to Firepower 2000. As a result I doubt they have the rights. SCi, by the way, bought Eidos, changed their name to that, and now of course is part of Square-Enix.

vireland

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Hey Vic,

Extremely unreliable buggy mess in windows.

EDIT: Animations were 640x480 and very pretty as a result, though - IF you could get to the scenes without the game locking or other weird stuff happening.

sfried

The Take Out Bandit said:
Contact Wayforward about remaking Valis and some of the Wolf Team action platformers god dammit!
I was actually in some other board talking about trying to "re-imagine" Earnest Evans.

Perhaps some of the staff at Namco Tales Studio can help WayForward with it and Sunsoft/Gaijinworks can publsih it. It would be another awesome international collaboration.

I was hoping for something like this. I can`t wait to see what comes out of the Telenet friendship.

and finally, Retronauts has its excuse to do a Telenet episode.

Edit: ooo! ooo! and Mr. Ireland should guest on it! That would be awesome.

Datschge said:
Wolfteam was a completely owned Telenet Japan subsidiary except for the first two years, so yea, the whole of Wolfteam's library except maybe Crystal Chaser and Shinsengumi should be included in the deal if it covers all of Telenet's assets.

!
!!

Is... is it going to revive? :D

Fake edit: Beaten by Infernal Monkey, but for a good cause.

Def Jukie

So often these press releases and announcements are hyped up and really fail to deliver. Vic, you were not kidding. Nobody could have predicted this and this is better than anything people were expecting. Nice work.

Honestly, I read this news and thought "huh?". Never heard of any of these games, although the Super Valis IV box art is vaguely familiar. Maybe I saw it on a shelf at one point.

Despite my ignorance of Telenet, I am very excited to know that VC will continue to be supported, and it'll be good to get an education on some of these beloved games.

jluedtke

This is fantastic news! And if it means that we get either a new Cosmic Fantasy game, or one of the others (1, 3, or 4) get translated, I will poop my pants. Poop. In my pants.

Seriously a good portion of Telenet's games(especially the Wolf Team ones) would be better off in a compilation of sorts.

I say this because some of these games just aren't any good on their own. They typically have great concepts but the execution is usually off in one or several ways. Still they're great for educational purposes.

I'll have to dig around Telenet's library and point out games that I think hold up on their own.

Datschge

Link1110 said:
What? The first 4 Tales games were them? They're now even cooler in my book.
Namco Tales Studio is the developer which was Telenet Japan's main development team until Namco broke them out and formed Tales Studio as a joint venture in 2003. Telenet Japan quickly dropped off the face of the earth afterward due to apparently no longer having anyone experienced with game development, sold the remaining stakes in 2006 and went bankrupt in 2007.

Top Bottom