• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Awesome Paper Mario

Rocked

The boss battle looks incredible, but the rest, um, it looks like the same controls as the Paper Mario RPG's which really isn't good for platforming. :-/

SumGamer

Rocked said:
The boss battle looks incredible, but the rest, um, it looks like the same controls as the Paper Mario RPG's which really isn't good for platforming. :-/

Hmm I dunno really. Because PM RPG environment is not in true 2D side scroller. It has depth allt here time so you can walk in and out etc but this time the game is almost in fulll 2d when you walk around there is no depth in the field just old school 2D but you have the option to turn the area to 3D so you can find hidden place etc. I haven't tried it myself so I can't really talk much but afaic it looks like that.

jarosh

obviously the guy didn't know what he was doing. but hey, it's super paper mario so what the hell. i'm sure it'll be awesome.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Teasel said:
uuuhhhh.... i'm the only one not impressed?
duckhunt.GIF

Luckett_X

Banned
I really hate watching game footage where someone is clinically retarded at playing the game, as it breaks up the flow and fun look of the game. I mean running into enemies and not being able to jump on them fluidly?

Boss battle definitely seems ripped straight from SotC, so hehe. Weird effect where a mouse cursor drag selects stuff to appear. Makes me wonder what the plot is gonna be behind all this. Complete destruction of the 4th wall as Mario acknowledges he is a video game character?

E-phonk

Banned
Luckett_X said:
Complete destruction of the 4th wall as Mario acknowledges he is a video game character?

That would be great. I allready liked the luigi "hero" stories in papermario2

Sad_Panda

Awesome. 3rd August can't come soon enough.
By the way, Pokémon Diamond/Pearl were playable at WHF too, so we can expect some Youtube vid in the next following hours.

SumGamer

Umm, do you guys realised he was just a little kid :p Try watching the reflection in the tv you will see a kid with Mario mask on his head.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
SumGamer said:
Umm, do you guys realised he was just a little kid :p Try watching the reflection in the tv you will see a kid with Mario mask on his head.
THAT KID SHOULDVE BEEN BETTER AT VIDEOGAMES

ethelred

almokla said:
SHHHHHHHHIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT

THAT LOOKS AWESOMEEEEE.. why not a Wii launch title???

I agree with this sentiment 100%. Super Paper Mario is so full of awesome and bunnies and sex and flowers, and it's just going to be ignored at the end of the GameCube's flatlined life when it deserves to be a huge hit launching a new system.

ethelred said:
I agree with this sentiment 100%. Super Paper Mario is so full of awesome and bunnies and sex and flowers, and it's just going to be ignored at the end of the GameCube's flatlined life when it deserves to be a huge hit launching a new system.
It's released close to the Wii launch, you might as well consider it a Wii title. This way, both Gamecube owners and Wii owners can play it. I don't think a title like this can greatly benefit from new controls.

ethelred

Private Hoffman said:
It's released close to the Wii launch, you might as well consider it a Wii title. This way, both Gamecube owners and Wii owners can play it. I don't think a title like this can greatly benefit from new controls.

It doesn't matter how much it'll benefit from the new controls (I mean, Smash isn't using them at all). It's all about the positioning and the marketing -- people here might as well consider it a Wii title, but if it's not coming in a Wii box, most people aren't going to consider it one, and they won't be buying GameCube games in October or whatever. Retailers will want to be shuting down their GameCube sections ASAP, on top of that.

Neo Child

Banned
Please make a Wii sequel.

There is so much more you can do with graphics and weird warpyness.

Whose gunna bet there is a giant crab boss?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm loving the way this looks, some great level design and hybrid between 2D and 3D, IS makes it work well. The only thing I hope they do is give you half the HP in the final game, 30 is a bit too much imo.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
I'm loving the way this looks, some great level design and hybrid between 2D and 3D, IS makes it work well. The only thing I hope they do is give you half the HP in the final game, 30 is a bit too much imo.

You probably level up, so enemy difficulty will probably be scaled as appropriate the further you go into the game.

Neo Child

Banned
I have faith in IS, I mean, they are one of my favourite developers in existance. And I have confidence that the game won't be too easy, take Paper Mario 2s final boss for example.

And if this boss is anything to go by, then we're in for a sweeeet ride.

Dr.Hadji

I don't get what this game is trying to do yet. It has the platforming style of Paper Mario (which isn't designed for a purely action type of play) in a traditional platforming Mario setting. Surely there has to be some sort of catch and I think I might see it in its definition as a "platform/RPG hybrid". But where does the RPG element come into play? I see hit points but how do they come into play? I honestly thought they'd compensate for the lack of focus on the action with live action recreations of the brillant Paper Mario battle strats.

I must know what they are planning on doing with this game!

Amir0x

Banned
Private Hoffman said:

that's not how it works, man :p

vitaflo

At first I got a total Space Harrier vibe from that boss, until Mario jumped on it. Then it was SotC all the way.

Game looks amazing. Wish you could flip 2D/3D and change characters without going to a menu though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
vitaflo said:
At first I got a total Space Harrier vibe from that boss, until Mario jumped on it. Then it was SotC all the way.

Game looks amazing. Wish you could flip 2D/3D and change characters without going to a menu though.

Same here. The game looks sweet regardless though.

Jiggy

Looks conceptually cool, and I've always wanted to have the Paper Mario graphics without the Paper Mario backtracking. However, from the looks of things, the controls concern me a little; I know it might just be the person playing them, but I also know that I wasn't too fond of the map screen controls in PM. So it'll be a wait and see kind of thing.

Sad_Panda said:
By the way, Pokémon Diamond/Pearl were playable at WHF too, so we can expect some Youtube vid in the next following hours.
Excellent. :eek:

I really hope that some of the older GC games will still be available once Wii hits, cause my GC is dying and I can't play games on it, and I don't want to fix it or get a new one, I figured I'll just play the GC games I missed on Wii.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
vitaflo said:

You need the power of PS3 for that, or at least that's what Genji 2 has taught us.

Neo Child

Banned
vitaflo said:
Wish you could flip 2D/3D and change characters without going to a menu though.

It's just a button press to switch characters or flip view. The menus are for adding badges and the likes.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, it was obvious the kid sucked at the game. But still, there was loads of potential.

Regarding the sick amount of HPs (and low damage modifiers), most likely, it was a power-leveled-for-demo type deal.

lyre

Beautiful artwork. Why couldn't NSMB be using graphics like these?

IntSys is the best developer ever. I can't wait for this.

Luckett_X said:
Makes me wonder what the plot is gonna be behind all this. Complete destruction of the 4th wall as Mario acknowledges he is a video game character?
That'd be cool, but they've done it before. All of the Mario Sports and Mario Party games are supposed to be what Mario and the rest do when they're not appearing in standard games. That's why the villians and the heros play together and such... at least, that's what the story for Mario Part 2 was, I think. :D

It does look like he's trapped in a computer or something, though. You have the little cursor side-kick that follows you around and when you switch characters and perspectives it drags & drops over you. Also, Bowser is very obviously on your side this time... HMMMMM!

Electrii

I was excited when I saw screens for this game, but the videos left me cold. doesn't look too fun/special so far.
Also, while I love the art style, the trees look like something a bored kid would do in MSPaint. :/

Before you guys get too excited:

http://gamesarefun.com/userblog.php?id=464

I've been having people ask about the presence of Pokemon D/P. As far as I could tell they WERE NOT at the show. Now, the World Hobby Fair spans two days (June 17th and June 18th) and I was there on the 17th. I was looking, but the only pokemon game I saw there was the Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon (Ranger in the US) games on a screen. As I said before, nintendo only had 4 games at their booth: Super Paper Mario (2 stations) Donkey Kong Bongo Racing (1 station), Super Mario 3 on 3 (about 8-10 stations) and New Super Mario Bros. (I'd like to say 50, but probably more around 25).

Top Bottom