• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R |OT| Buggler? I Hardly Know Her!

duckroll

I've been a huge supporter of this game since the moment it was announced. Unfortunately I decided to cancel my preorder for it today because it seems really stupid to keep the order when it's delayed to next week locally and they still couldn't tell me how much the price was going to be. Complete shitshow for local distribution here. The input delay and online lag complaints make it sound very unpleasant too. I'll wait for Konami to get a patch out and by then I should be able to pick up a copy any time. I'm devastated. :(

taoofjord

I love Bomberman but it this is seriously one of the worst "full" price releases in years. All I want is a competent online Bomberman but there's significant input lag in battle mode (local and online). For some reason it's not present in story mode but even still, the controls are messy. Once your movement speed increases a couple of levels youre going to be dying left and right. It just feels so fucking bad. Might sell this thing even though I really want to support the franchise. But when I think about it, I don't see Konami putting out a good one even if they tried again.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
When I said "cheap", it's not only the presentation. Controls do feel loosy, not tight enough. It's pretty sad.

duckroll

Yeah, I'm okay with Bomberman as it is for 50 bucks if I can play co-op and battle mode with friends and just enjoy it for what it is. But if I can't even do that. Goddamnit. Konami you had ONE fucking job! Wtf?

Shikoba

Jumped on here to see if anyone mentioned the controls. Glad to see it's not just me thinking there was something off with the movement. So far I like the game, but movement feels like it should be smoother/more responsive.

Umibozu

Found a copy for $50 Canadian that'll be in my hands at the end of the day. Hopefully the single player is enjoyable.

This game is frustraring, there is quiet a bit of content that justifies the price, but you can tell this game was made by people not familiar with the series. No ability to stop kicked bombs*, bombs don't bounce across blocks. No remote bombs, no spike bombs, no bonus mini game for the winner, no option to choose between regular revenge cart and super revenge cart (its always super), no option to change between burn skulls and permanent skulls, no option to pick which color ai you fight, no ai difficulty settings, no option at all for spread virus or pass virus, power ups go on top of blocks making it hard to see what is and isn't a block, no ability to adjust your throw distance as revenge bomber.

Yet this game is still a ton of fun, the 8 default stages have some fairly clever and unique mechanics I've never seen in Bomberman before, but then its missing staple modes like conveyor (it might be an unlockable special stage.

I'm happy bomberman is back, multiplayer with local friends is still a very fun experience, but the things the game is missing or changed is baffling and removes a ton of strategy from the game.

Edit: *apparently you can hit x to stop kick bombs, which is a very strange choice in most games it's the b button (or bottom x on psx controllers)

I am very bad at this game. Tried 3 times now to make it through the first world in story mode, and keep dying. I don't want to spend coins to continue because I don't even know how you earn those.

Sciz

I know you can earn coins by clearing a full area in the campaign. The higher the difficulty and the more lives and powerups you clear it with, the more you earn. The cost of continuing also goes up with difficulty, though.

I am super disappointed the inside art is in black and white. Seems super cheap.

Had some fun single player action yesterday tho. Hoping there is some patches for this game QUICK for some multiplayer goodness.

This game is frustraring, there is quiet a bit of content that justifies the price, but you can tell this game was made by people not familiar with the series. No ability to stop kicked bombs, bombs don't bounce across blocks. No remote bombs, no spike bombs, no bonus mini game for the winner, no option to choose between regular revenge cart and super revenge cart (its always super), no option to change between burn skulls and permanent skulls, no option to pick which color ai you fight, no ai difficulty settings, no option at all for spread virus or pass virus, power ups go on top of blocks making it hard to see what is and isn't a block, no ability to adjust your throw distance as revenge bomber.

Edit: apparently you can hit x to stop kick bombs

Dude what, that's so sad. You know what they'd have to do to make a perfect bomberman game? Straight up copy most of the gameplay/options from one of the GameCube games, add 8 player support from Saturn, add costumes from 64/PS1 versions while dividing them up into unlockable/in-game currency/DLC and they'd have pretty much the definitive version to regurgitate every generation.

I'll probably still pick it up but I hope it's at least as competent as atomic bomberman. That game didn't feel completely right but it was close enough.

kamakazi5

So input lag happens offline too? I'm about to cancel my order if that's true

I feel like there is input lag in story mode but some people are saying only battle mode. That said it's noticeable but hasn't caused me many issues except for the first boss which can be a pain. I plan to play through the rest of the game this week.

wowzors

Me and my fiance got to world 4 on beginner. This game is HARD, probably had to continue about 7 times to get here. Continues are super cheap at like 10-15g and you get like 250-300 for clearing a world in beginner.

You only earn gold after you complete the whole world. Meaning kill the boss, who are ruck hard.

OmahaG8

There's something way weird with the sound from my TV when I'm playing Bomberman and Bomberman only.

Load up Zelda, 12S, Shovel Knight, Fast RMX - literally anything and it sounds great.

Bomberman sounds like I'm listening to an old TV rip in RealPlayer format. Anyone else's audio odd?

grimm_shado

Unconfirmed Member
Playing online is impossible. I keep getting errors during or before matches.

When I do get a match going, it's super laggy.

I swear the input lag problem exists offline as well.

I'm probably going to return it to Amazon as "defective game."

Is there any good way to play Bomberman online these days?

The 360 games were laggy as hell too.

tolkir

I am super disappointed the inside art is in black and white. Seems super cheap.

Had some fun single player action yesterday tho. Hoping there is some patches for this game QUICK for some multiplayer goodness.

Weird. Pal version has 8-bit inside art.
ITToXjw.jpg

Spades

Guys, seriously, how the fuck are you supposed to beat Magnet Bomber in story? He's just too quick to corner.

Vitacat

Yeah, I'm okay with Bomberman as it is for 50 bucks if I can play co-op and battle mode with friends and just enjoy it for what it is. But if I can't even do that. Goddamnit. Konami you had ONE fucking job! Wtf?
It's really heartbreaking. It really is.

I have my unopened copy just sitting here. And at this point, with all the bad reviews and user impressions, I think I'll return it for refund soon. If/when it gets properly updated with better online and controls etc, then maybe I'll buy it again.

*sigh*

bon

Guys, seriously, how the fuck are you supposed to beat Magnet Bomber in story? He's just too quick to corner.

Try to lure him onto that little elevated platform at the top of the stage. I think it's easier to trap him there.

piflavoredpie

Neo Member
How on earth do revenge carts work in multiplayer? My bombs are sometimes thrown a distance of ~5 spaces, and other times ~3 spaces. There doesn't seem to be any sign of a mechanism to control your bomb throw...?

Ok what did I miss? Last time I checked this game was just as much as we predicted (a competent Bomberman with a campaign-gravy on top). What happened?

I knew about all the problems before picking it up and figured it'd still be worth it to me because I love Bomberman and wanted some launch games that weren't Zelda, but I gotta say from the 10-15 minutes I spent with this game, feels like a total mess. Definitely a shame.

What are your issues with the game? I'm considering just selling it instead of opening it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I luckily had the spiky bombs and just spammed them. Which also seems to be the primary tactic for the boss levels too. I've actually dropped the difficulty because the boss levels are annoying. Almost perfect AI one on one is just frustrating

Cepheus

The only thing you can do against the first phases of the bosses is to spam bombs like hell and cross your fingers.

Cepheus

Me and my fiance got to world 4 on beginner. This game is HARD, probably had to continue about 7 times to get here. Continues are super cheap at like 10-15g and you get like 250-300 for clearing a world in beginner.

You only earn gold after you complete the whole world. Meaning kill the boss, who are ruck hard.

Luckily you also get gold from doing well in online matches. Though, that's problematic for me since I might not have WiFi on the Switch at university. :(

Terrorblot

What are your issues with the game? I'm considering just selling it instead of opening it.

I played a bunch of multiplayer yesterday night and I've warmed up to it a little, but it's definitely a "problem game" for me. The controls feel very sloppy and the response time to turning corners is so sluggish it almost gives the illusion you're getting caught on geometry. I wish it controlled like Pac-Man where you can sort of buffer your next turn. I've never gotten into an Online game that wasn't unplayable. The cutscenes and voice acting are very cringe, and I have a high tolerance. It's ugly. The camera is very distracting and the graphics lead to a lot of visual confusion.

It's too bad because I honestly feel like they could have done this with sprites on the cheap & quick and spent more time making sure the game actually worked and felt good, and it'd probably have been a more attractive game to boot. I'll keep playing it but I don't think this is the Bomberman game people are looking for.

How on earth do revenge carts work in multiplayer? My bombs are sometimes thrown a distance of ~5 spaces, and other times ~3 spaces. There doesn't seem to be any sign of a mechanism to control your bomb throw...?

It seems random to me with some stages blocking your throws like the roof stage.

Ummm, the developers are the former Hudson Soft gang who worked on the original Bombermans.

Well clearly being in Konami's dungeon for almost a decade has impacted their ability to remember most of the basics of bomberman.

Shiggy

Ummm, the developers are the former Hudson Soft gang who worked on the original Bombermans.

I see you mentioning that, but who are those developers you are referring to? From what I see Hexadrive doesn't have Hudson Soft employees and they developed the game, while Konami staff (with no Hudson Soft background) was responsible for production and supervision only.

Played a bunch of this yesterday with a buddy who stopped by to check out the switch. We completed the campaign in coop on beginner mode with a lot of continues used, but still earned a decent number of gems.

We also played online a bit (4 games in two lobbies) and didn't notice lag.

I don't really love how the controls don't seem to be locked to the grid of the boards, but perhaps bomberman was always like this. It's been a long time since I played the Wii ware bomberman which was my last exposure to the series. The 3D stages are kinda wacky but an interesting addition which seems to add more replay value and differences between levels than I expected.

The campaign was decent and I'm gonna try and get good enough at the game to do run through without continues. Co Op may be harder than solo as my teammate and I kept blowing ourselves up :) overall I'm happier with this purchase than I expected.

NEO0MJ

I see you mentioning that, but who are those developers you are referring to? From what I see Hexadrive doesn't have Hudson Soft employees and they developed the game, while Konami staff (with no Hudson Soft background) was responsible for production and supervision only.

There was talk early by Konami on about how some of the people working on this game were ex-Hudson but I think we need to compare credits to really know.

Shiggy

There was talk early by Konami on about how some of the people working on this game were ex-Hudson but I think we need to compare credits to really know.

Yeah, and with the credits I have trouble finding those. That's why I asked him to specify whom he was referring to. Hexadrive developed the game, with limited production support from Konami employees.

Shiggy

GAME DEVELOPMENT

HEXA DRIVE Inc.
Director - Akihiro Mutsuta
Lead Programmer - Shunsuke Yamamoto
Lead Artist - Jun-ichi Morita
Game Designers - Masanori Yasuda / Ryuichiro Taki
Programmers - Katsuya Murakami / Kentaro Yamada / Takashi Ono / Takashi Koga
Artists - Noriaki Kayanuma / Mutsuo Ohmiya / Akira Yamaguchi / Tatsuto Konno / Kohei Morimoto / Ukyo Maezawa
Managers - Jin-ichiro Okuda / Shingo Inoue / Kazunori Miyahara

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Planning/Game Design - Noriaki Okamura / Yasuo Daikai
Concept Art/Character Design - Isa Okuyama
UI Artist - Aya Tarumi

SCENARIO
Outsourced to ELSEWARE, Ltd.

LOCALIZATION
Outsourced to DICO Co., Ltd.

CINEMATICS
Director - Poeyama
Illustrator - Hideyuki Takenami
Outsourced to IMAGICA Imageworks. Inc.

SOUND
Sound Director - Tetsushi Takahashi
Outsourced to Elements Garden

Product Manager - Atsushi Suzuki
Department Manager - Hirotaka Ishikawa
Co-Producer - Yasuo Daikai
Producers - Noriaki Okamura / Yuji Korekado
Produced - Noriaki Okamura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXRu_cXr0uA&feature=youtu.be&t=1088

Here I transcribed the credits. I did not write down staff names from the outsourcing companies which worked on localisation, sound, and cinematics. Only for those who were involved in game development. So should be easy to point out the Bomberman veterans who worked on that.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So there's an update that keeps on trying to download every time I start the game, but it always stops at 15%. Anyone else getting this?

RedToad64

So there's an update that keeps on trying to download every time I start the game, but it always stops at 15%. Anyone else getting this?
There's an update now? I don't have the game, but this seems like pretty major news if it fixes some stuff.

As for your download problem, I suggest taking it out of the dock, resetting the system, and moving closer to the wireless signal. This is what I had to do for Zelda.

Oregano

I luckily had the spiky bombs and just spammed them. Which also seems to be the primary tactic for the boss levels too. I've actually dropped the difficulty because the boss levels are annoying. Almost perfect AI one on one is just frustrating

I glad I'm not the only one who nearly ragequit against Magnet Bomber. He was super fast!:(

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
There's an update now? I don't have the game, but this seems like pretty major news if it fixes some stuff.

As for your download problem, I suggest taking it out of the dock, resetting the system, and moving closer to the wireless signal. This is what I had to do for Zelda.

I got mine from retail, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. But did anyone else have an update?

NEO0MJ

It's funny how the only game other than Zelda to have been sold out online isn't getting much attention here. I guess most buyers were scalpers?

Top Bottom