• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R uses in-game currency to continue

Mrbob

Whelp another game off my purchase list. Protip to devs: Don't charge money to purchase a title and then make your game look like a F2P game.

jonno394

I don't get the issue here. Reminds me of nes/SNES games.

Seems the options are use some of your accrued points to continue in the level where you died or you can start at the beginning of the world in which you died.

Why are people suddenly assuming this will cost real money?

I love bomberman. Saturn bomberman is one of my favorite games of all time. But holy crap, if this bomberman is $60 and has micro transactions I will NOT purchase it. This is entirely Konamis fault. So sad Hudson was eaten up by them. Konami used to be one of the greats, but now they've resorted to this shit.

Scoobie

If this does have micro transactions and it's a paid game, i will not buy it out of principle, no matter how good the game is.

It's bad enough with all of the micro transactions on mobile, really don't want this becoming a thing on consoles well.

Oddish1

It's worth pointing out to everyone freaking out that the price for the game hasn't been confirmed yet and micro-transactions certainly haven't either. Why don't we save the outrage when we know it's actually something to be outraged about.

Danchi

I don't get the issue here. Reminds me of nes/SNES games.

Seems the options are use some of your accrued points to continue in the level where you died or you can start at the beginning of the world in which you died.

Why are people suddenly assuming this will cost real money?

Because, in 2017, microtransactions are much more common than the scenario you described?

Hopefully you're right, though.

Savitar

Really bizarre for a non-F2P game but it seems in order to continue in Super Bomberman R on Switch you need to spend some kind of ingame currency. They stressed that you can earn it though normal gameplay but I wonder what the possibility of running out and it becoming frustrating without buying more via real money would be?

It really shouldn't surprise anyone if Konami is trying to monetise this though..

Image stolen from Wario64's twitter.

M7AVuqV.jpg

Konami can go fuck itself.

Yeah wasn't this already discussed? Even in the video they mention you earn the points through gameplay and is used to purchase cosmetic outfits for your characters.

A game having a in-game currency system doesn't equal monetization.

It deserves a thread.

IrishNinja

This is NOT a stamina system/used to unlock things. It's just a continue on game over, which uses in-game currency, just like billions of games. Watch the stream. Don't spread misinformation.
https://youtu.be/qadzCB3CLlI?t=8667

oh yeah, okay see this is just a regular continue system that costs from your earned points you could've used for cowboy outfits or whatever

this isn't konami fuckery at all, this thread is pointless! crisis averted~

oh yeah, okay see this is just a regular continue system that costs from your earned points you could've used for cowboy outfits or whatever

this isn't konami fuckery at all, this thread is pointless! crisis averted~

I'm not saying the thread is pointless, but it seems some people are thinking it's a F2P-like "continue to progress" system, which it isn't.

Beartruck

The screenshot listed shows it taking 10 out of 50000 gems. I don't think you'll have to worry about running out if thats the case.

killroy87

The screenshot listed shows it taking 10 out of 50000 gems. I don't think you'll have to worry about running out if thats the case.
They mentioned it was for the demo.

People should really just watch the video, threads like this are what happen when people are taking information without context.

Trying to not over react...

This is the worst kind of free to play elements in a game ever.

On the one hand if they are earned in the game and there is no micro transactions then its like earning a continue and OK I would be fine with that.

If it is micro transactions, like that in a fully paid game then fuck it. I am canceling that Switch preorder.

Beartruck

They mentioned it was for the demo.

People should really just watch the video, threads like this are what happen when people are taking information without context.

OP should really just post the video in the OP if he doesn't want people to take things out of context.

Nohar

And my interest dropped completely, reaching absolute zero.

Well, we need more info, obviously, but considering it is Konami we are talking about, it isn't that far-fetched to guess that they included micro-transactions. If the game includes micro-transactions (including for things as basic as continuing), I won't buy this game, period.

IrishNinja

I'm not saying the thread is pointless, but it seems some people are thinking it's a F2P-like "continue to progress" system, which it isn't.

right, but i am - OP's set up from the jump to imply the door's open to microtransactions, when nothing here indicates that. threads are being locked right now for much less.

jonno394

And my interest dropped completely, reaching absolute zero.

Well, we need more info, obviously, but considering it is Konami we are talking about, it isn't that far-fetched to guess that they included micro-transactions. If the game includes micro-transactions (including for things as basic as continuing), I won't buy this game, period.

Have you watched the stream for the full information or just gone on OPs moan?

HotHamBoy

Even if it isn't a premium currency, why the fuck would you even do this?

It has to be tied to a premium currency, even if it's also earnable through game play.

This is Konami.

iMerc

OP should really just post the video in the OP if he doesn't want people to take things out of context.

i think that's the entire point of the thread.

who needs truth & facts, when we can have trump-level idiocy and false narrative?

hashtag #fakenews-gaming.

jonno394

It has to be tied to a premium currency, even if it's also earnable through game play.

This is Konami.

The optimist in me looks at this as a celebration if it's 33 game anniversary and they're making a game with sensibilities of those bygone days.

It's a glorified continue system where if you pay with your gems, you start in level 3-3 (which you died in), if you don't, you start again at 3-1.

edit - meant 33rd game not 33 years :facepalm:

That was the moment that killed my interest, I just assume the worst of games with these kind of structures now and Konami definitely don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Cosmetics were the alternative for using gems, they highlighted how your gems would be in high demand and you'd have to think carefully how to spend them. It's very hard to believe this will be an innocent in game only currency system.

This is Konami.

Think of it like having a set of continues that you can also use to buy clothes for your character.

IrishNinja

This is Konami.

it's an old school series, video even says there' sa (semi) old school penalty, as it were, for continuing

would some of ya'll be thrown off if there was a point score too?

Think of it like having a set of continues that you can also use to buy clothes for your character.

that's literally what it is, based on the video OP's screencap comes from...yet here we are

jonno394

it's an old school series, video even says there' sa (semi) old school penalty, as it were, for continuing

that's literally what it is, based on the video OP's screencap comes from...yet here we are

Some people refuse to acknowledge what we're saying unfortunately :/

LewieP

But there's nothing old school about Konami's current management. Did you not play MGS5?

Pandy

It's not to continue accessing the game, it's just to continue playing without starting over.

You earn coins in Mario to gain more lives, you earn gems here to spend on continues. It really seems like the same thing to me.

It seems like this system, except with the 'bonus' that if you don't waste your coins on lives you can save them up and spend them on new skins in the game's shop.

I'm highly borderline here between, 'Fuck Konami', and supporting them in releasing a game I want. What's keeping me on team 'Buy' at the moment is that this surely can't interfere with the local multi-player Battle mode, which will be where I spend 95% of my time.

IrishNinja

Some people refuse to acknowledge what we're saying unfortunately :/

*sigh*

But there's nothing old school about Konami's current management. Did you not play MGS5?

agreed, but there's nothing here to indicate that's not what we're getting

and i personally dug MGS 5 >>>>> 4, but didn't care for an offline game connecting to servers, so i take your point...just no indication how it'd apply here

Nohar

Well, if it is a simple nod to old school mecanics, and if this currency can be gained in-game (without any in-game shop to trade real money for this currency), then there is nothing wrong with that. The pessimist in me, though, is rather wary, because Konami.

In any case, we will see if there are microtransactions in the game once it is released. Nothing we can really say or do now that will make a difference.

Top Bottom