• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R uses in-game currency to continue

KHlover

Banned
This just in: In Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl/4 you have to pay ingame currency to continue in some single player modes as well.

That image on its own is worthless, bit early for meltdowns.

Calm Mind

I don't care.

Yeah - it's bomberman - core gameplay is what would be classified as indie game in the west and even then on the lower part of spectrum.

do-not-want.gif

If this was F2P that'd be fine, but at $60? Really?

Thing is I'd be into some F2P games near launch so I have stuff to play beyond Zelda, if they're going with this gameplay model they might as well make it F2P.

Nose Master

For this to work, it'd have to be effect multiplayer also. Which would be insane.

Is there a way to play online bomberman currently?

And this is a 60$ game, Wtf.

Don't be too shocked. Skylanders Imaginators is a $70 game with $13/$10 accessories...and they had the gall to add the ability to buy "Imaginite Chests" in game which allow you to get extra pieces for your custom Skylander. I was sitting there with my mouth open that someone thought that was ok.

Calm Mind

If this was F2P that'd be fine, but at $60? Really?

Thing is I'd be into some F2P games near launch so I have stuff to play beyond Zelda, if they're going with this gameplay model they might as well make it F2P.

Don't buy it then. I have been waiting nearly 20 years for this.

Don't buy it then. I have been waiting nearly 20 years for this.
I probably won't lol. I'd rather not get gauged for cash on a game I already spent money on.

I understand that you love the series and wanna play the latest investment, I'd be the same with Zelda, but you have to understand how anti-consumer it is if they're actually pursuing this model. Maybe all it is is in-game currency and there's no actual money involved, but if there is that's BS and will only draw people away from the game.

Takuan

Even Bravely Default/Second had microtransacitons. Who used them ? None.

It's not really an issue if the game gives enough gems to play by yourself.

It's practically guaranteed they'll allow whales to buy gems at egregious prices. The real concern is how much cosmetic upgrades will cost in IGC, and the rate at which IGC is earned through normal gameplay. There's also a question of whether or not gameplay modes will require IGC to be unlocked - unless they've explicitly stated they won't be, I wouldn't put it past them.

Beepos

With out even looking more into this, I'm confused why there would even be MP currency. I hope to be completely blind to this and it won't influence local co-op.

Camjo-Z

I love how the people most outraged in the thread are the ones who actually care the least about the game itself.

Yep.

Even if this were a microtransaction feature (which it's not)... who cares? The only overarching goal in the game is to complete single player mode and unlock all of the cosmetics, so if someone wants to defeat the point of the game by simply paying their way to completion then be my guest. This isn't like Overwatch where they're going to have random loot boxes or some shit, it'll just be the same type of customization stuff that's been in the past couple of Bomberman games.

Is it really that weird for a game to use in-game currency to continue? I remember older games like Wario World using a system like that. Though I know this is Konami so anything is possible

That $60 price tag that people keep bringing up is not confirmed though

I'm still pretty excited about a new Bomberman, can't wait to play it co-op!

I really don't understand why people refuse to watch the video. They specifically say that the coins are earned through playing through the campaign, and that the whole point of using them for continues is that you have to decide if it's worth it to continue when you want to save for cosmetics...

We'll see how it works, and we'll see what the actual price is. Something tells me the $60 price tag ain't happening. My question is though, will it be $15-20 to match XBLA and PSN's budget releases, or will it be $30-40 to match 3DS/Vita boxed games? I'd happily buy it closeish to launch at $15-20, but I'd be more hesitant to get it at $30-40. At $50-60 there's no way I'm touching it though.

What do you guys feel is a fair price? I mean like, legitimately fair when comparing it to what's out on the market today. We now have games like The Witness and Rime, 3D adventure games with extensive replay value, being priced between $15-30. We also have games like Rocket League, great multiplayer experiences that are about $20. What should Bomberman be? I know the franchise revival has been long awaited for a while, but does a game like this really need to be $50-60? Especially when past games have been $10?

If its all earned ingame and the currency is only tied to unlocking cosmetics and other bonuses, this seems.....perfectly fine. Seems to be following the old arcade loop of continuing without the tokens which is fitting for a Bomberman game. I'm hoping the game turns out well since this will break up my Zelda sessions.

Camjo-Z

What should Bomberman be? I know the franchise revival has been long awaited for a while, but does a game like this really need to be $50-60? Especially when past games have been $10?

$20-30 would be genius pricing to position this as the launch game to pick up alongside Zelda rather than instead of it. $40 would be pushing it, but still acceptable. If they do $60 then they're just looking to gouge early adopters.

So what happens when you run out? You gotta grind for more? Sounds like a pain

...Isn't this how in-game currency works with every game that's ever used it? You get it, you spend it, you get some more.

Man this is the weirdest reaction that I've seen on GAF. CLEARLY it's based on lives-system, just using currency you collect instead. It's a bit too early for meltdowns.

$20-30 would be genius pricing to position this as the launch game to pick up alongside Zelda rather than instead of it. $40 would be pushing it, but still acceptable. If they do $60 then they're just looking to gouge early adopters.
That's what I'm hoping for. I'd probably buy it alongside Zelda if they price it right, but anymore than $30 and there's no way. Even $20 is a bit much, but I'd like to have a good local multiplayer game at launch

I think Nintendo have done a lot to encourage developers to price their games extremely high on this system, and I'm fearful for games like this. There are so many games out on PSN and XBLA that (Seem like they) match this game's budget and scope, if not exceed it, that are priced at $20~. I really don't wanna have to pay $40+ to play games like this.

KHlover

Banned
So what happens when you run out? You gotta grind for more? Sounds like a pain

I'd love to see a list of the games you're typically playing.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'd probably buy it alongside Zelda if they price it right, but anymore than $30 and there's no way. Even $20 is a bit much, but I'd like to have a good local multiplayer game at launch

I think Nintendo have done a lot to encourage developers to price their games extremely high on this system, and I'm fearful for games like this. There are so many games out on PSN and XBLA that (Seem like they) match this game's budget and scope, if not exceed it, that are priced at $20~. I really don't wanna have to pay $40+ to play games like this.

Nintendo's own Snipperclippers is $20, so it's not like cheap games are not allowed on the system.

I'd love to see a list of the games you're typically playing.
Every game in the universe

Nintendo's own Snipperclippers is $20, so it's not like cheap games are not allowed on the system.
That's a good sign. When I saw the $40 and $60 price tags for SFII and Bomberman it made me nervous. We'll just have to wait and see.

Even if it isn't. There is no reason to restrict you in a way like that.

I mean, there kinda is. They've already said that it's so you have to make the choice between the convenience of being able to continue directly from where you died (rather than going back to the beginning of whatever world you're on) or saving your currency for cosmetics. It's not even like you need currency to keep playing. You can still start a world over with no problem, and you still have lives. The continue thing is only if you run out of lives and don't want to start that world over again.

I love how the people most outraged in the thread are the ones who actually care the least about the game itself.

Not surprised.

I'm not even sure how this is thread worthy. It's a screenshot with zero context, thread's only purpose is to [seemingly] manufacture outrage for an issue that probably doesn't exist.

For that matter, Konami hasn't even announced a price. They said they'd detail price next week. We don't know if it's going to be $60 or not. My bet is on $40 for a retail copy and maybe $30 digital.

duckroll

We'll see how it works, and we'll see what the actual price is. Something tells me the $60 price tag ain't happening. My question is though, will it be $15-20 to match XBLA and PSN's budget releases, or will it be $30-40 to match 3DS/Vita boxed games? I'd happily buy it closeish to launch at $15-20, but I'd be more hesitant to get it at $30-40. At $50-60 there's no way I'm touching it though.

What do you guys feel is a fair price? I mean like, legitimately fair when comparing it to what's out on the market today. We now have games like The Witness and Rime, 3D adventure games with extensive replay value, being priced between $15-30. We also have games like Rocket League, great multiplayer experiences that are about $20. What should Bomberman be? I know the franchise revival has been long awaited for a while, but does a game like this really need to be $50-60? Especially when past games have been $10?

I think a fair price for a real new Bomberman game made for Bomberman fans is $80. The game supports 8 players so you just need to get each friend to chip in $10 for one of the best party action games of all time.

This just in: In Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl/4 you have to pay ingame currency to continue in some single player modes as well.

That image on its own is worthless, bit early for meltdowns.

I'm sure they'll add microtransactions to the ports of those games.

I think a fair price for a real new Bomberman game made for Bomberman fans is $80. The game supports 8 players so you just need to get each friend to chip in $10 for one of the best party action games of all time.

Preeeeeetty sure is sarcasm. 10% uncertain.

fritolay

It's like all the most misguided concepts in the industry over the last 10 years are being distilled into this console.

Exactly. WTF is Nintendo doing?

Make a $200 console, with Mario and Zelda and other stuff, keep online free as parents don't want to see a perceived monthly bill to play, and they will sell like crazy.

And honestly, looking at the hardware, they could have made cheaper little controllers with the console. Sold separate one with motion controls and crap as a "controller on the go" for people that actually want to unlock it from the system, which seems stupid.

They are forcing customers to pay for a system, that hooks up to TV, can go mobile, and can have detachable controllers, when not all customers will want to game each of those methods. And they will have to charge them the price to enable all of that.

$200 console that detaches from TV with pokemon tied in would sell by itself.

Super Bomberman - You want simple game, simple fun with friends. How can they screw this up?

Wow it's like Konami baked a cake as an apology of what they did but then shit on it soon after.

Jesus Christ, people. Even Shin Megami Tensei 4 on the 3DS has such a feature when you die.

Plenty of games do, since years...

Yeah but you can just walk to get play coins.

Or save right before the boss and reset the game.

PSqueak

Banned
Eh, how's this different from the continue system in games like Wario World?

Unless there is real money/micro transactions involved, i don't care, it's just giving the game an arcade feeling.

Vinnk

I paid $50 for Saturn Bomberman back in the day. Also bought 2 multi taps ($25 each) and 6 additional controllers ($20 each? Can't remember) And I'm sure I've gotten my moneys worth out of it over the years. I still bring it out for parties.

Not saying this new Bomberman will be as good as Saturn Bonberman or Bomberman 94 but if it has a much of different stages, battle modes and doesn't screw up the basic Bomberman elements, I can see myself fine with a $60 price tag.

I've bought a TON of $60 games that bought me a lot less entertainment than a Bomberman game.

Won't pay for micro transactions though. So if the only way to get that stuff is paying extra I'll be disappointed. But If I can get the coins through regular gameplay. No problem. I've been doing that since the 8 bit era. Nothing new.

BREAKING: A videogame uses a form of in-game obtainable currency to do things in it!

And before you say "it's Konami", could you buy GMP in The Phantom Pain? Because that's a currency, and almost every single thing in the game is "paywalled" behind it...

Ogawa-san

- What is this, a paid currency in a $60 game?
- Heavens no! It's a... a continue! Yes, a continue!
- A continue.
- Yes, just a traditional Japanese continue.
- It looks like a mobile microtransation.
- No, no, it's nothing like it! The game gives you those gems, you don't have to purchase them. It's like 1up mushrooms, see?
- 1up mushrooms.
- Yes.
- In the form of gems.
- Yes.
- And the game will give you gems.
- Yes.
- And these gems that look like a F2P currency will not be sold by real currency.
- Yes.

ykbblLa.png

Top Bottom