• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R uses in-game currency to continue

Red Devil

This just in: In Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl/4 you have to pay ingame currency to continue in some single player modes as well.

That image on its own is worthless, bit early for meltdowns.

Is it really that weird for a game to use in-game currency to continue? I remember older games like Wario World using a system like that. Though I know this is Konami so anything is possible

That $60 price tag that people keep bringing up is not confirmed though

I'm still pretty excited about a new Bomberman, can't wait to play it co-op!

See above. For whatever reason it always flies off the radar that SSB has been doing that since Melee.

Sure I'm skeptical on this considering Konami is behind it.

Nimby

Banned
Let me get this straight. In-game currency is earned by playing in-game. Use currency to continue the game. Also buys cosmetic items. Microtransactions are not confirmed whatsoever.

Uhmm, why are we freaking out right now?

Oh come on. I want to be excited for a new Bomberman game. Stop. Goddammit Konami.

We haven't had 2 currency games that aren't roguelikes in a while that weren't F2P. I think people are allowed to be suspicious of it.

duckroll

Let me get this straight. In-game currency is earned by playing in-game. Use currency to continue the game. Also buys cosmetic items. Microtransactions are not confirmed whatsoever.

I'm not freaking out. I'm advocating that this game is worth $80. I need more support.

I think a fair price for a real new Bomberman game made for Bomberman fans is $80. The game supports 8 players so you just need to get each friend to chip in $10 for one of the best party action games of all time.
Perfect! Next Smash should use this model, and a new Era of gaming shall begin.

Because Konami is evil so lets assume they'll do something evil.

Exactly. WTF is Nintendo doing?

Make a $200 console, with Mario and Zelda and other stuff, keep online free as parents don't want to see a perceived monthly bill to play, and they will sell like crazy.

And honestly, looking at the hardware, they could have made cheaper little controllers with the console. Sold separate one with motion controls and crap as a "controller on the go" for people that actually want to unlock it from the system, which seems stupid.

They are forcing customers to pay for a system, that hooks up to TV, can go mobile, and can have detachable controllers, when not all customers will want to game each of those methods. And they will have to charge them the price to enable all of that.

$200 console that detaches from TV with pokemon tied in would sell by itself.

Super Bomberman - You want simple game, simple fun with friends. How can they screw this up?

How would this $200 detachable tablet without detachable controllers work for bomberman multiplayer?

Because Konami is evil so lets assume they'll do something evil.

I certainly wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt on anything like this. Let's put it that way.

duckroll

I don't own a single amiibo and I enjoy Smash just fine! :)

But the game encourages you to buy Amiibos. It provides incentives for Amiibos. It's a huge ripoff and we should be outraged at this terrible business practice. How dare they offer any option for players who might be interested in spending more for extra stuff? Anti-consumer garbage. Smash should be a F2P game!

But the game encourages you to buy Amiibos. It provides incentives for Amiibos. It's a huge ripoff and we should be outraged at this terrible business practice. How dare they offer any option for players who might be interested in spending more for extra stuff? Anti-consumer garbage. Smash should be a F2P game!
Encouraging doesn't block you from playing. I feel the same way about amiibos tho tbh, but for different games than Smash. Blocking Zelda players from accessing the hardest difficulty in Twilight Princess through the Ganon amiibo is BS, for example. Blocking Wii U players from multiplayer in Shovel Knight without the amiibo is indeed anti consumer and silly af

I'm glad we see eye to eye! 😊

duckroll

Encouraging doesn't block you from playing. I feel the same way about amiibos tho tbh, but for different games than Smash. Blocking Zelda players from accessing the hardest difficulty in Twilight Princess through the Ganon amiibo is BS, for example. Blocking Wii U players from multiplayer in Shovel Knight without the amiibo is indeed anti consumer and silly af

I'm glad we see eye to eye! ��

Who is being blocked from playing.... ? Why do you keep making things up? Do you have an anti-Bomberman agenda?

Red Devil

how about we wait for confirmation before losing our shit?

NO!

Either way, no big deal.

I'm glad we see eye to eye! ��

Although that'll be free come next update.

It's Konami. They have prior on this in MGSV.

and in MGSV it was 100% voluntary. for all the screaming about Konami being evil there was nothing in the game you couldn't earn just by playing the game normally. ended up not impacting the game at all. in fact if you had to have those high level items now now now, they would be so OP as to ruin the challenge.

older Bomberman games had limited lives too. who cares? every game these days restarts you almost exactly where you died, eliminating any sense of risk. nice when you see games take a more old-school cue for a change.

Who is being blocked from playing.... ? Why do you keep making things up? Do you have an anti-Bomberman agenda?
You used amiibos as an example of anti-consumer ideas in a game, which in many ways you're right about because they often block simple features from gamers who don't want to spend $15 on plastic toys.

I'm talking hypothetically if Konami were to use micro transactions in this game. No one knows if they will. All I asked was what the best pricing module would be for more simple and low budget games on the Switch, lol. I like Bomberman and would hate to see it fail because they decided to sell the game at the same price as Zelda and Skyrim, a bad decision that would be amplified if they decided to have gamers pay for in-game currency.

Whompa02

Don't worry guys, Nintendo is great! Everything is great!

How scummy can this get? Just nickle and diming everywhere.

Don't worry guys, Nintendo is great! Everything is great!

How scummy can this get? Just nickle and diming everywhere.

Clearly Nintendo are solely to fault for this unconfirmed feature in a Konami video game.

There is plenty that you can logically knock Nintendo for with the Switch and the software line up. You don't have to make things up or over inflate unconfirmed or minor things if you feel like speaking negatively about them.

Illucio

Banned
Hit the button?

Bomberman game has microtransactions for "buying life jewels".
However! Bomberman will be in Smash Directors Cut.

jax

Banned
I'm not freaking out. I'm advocating that this game is worth $80. I need more support.
$80? Pfft. I've already thrown down $160 with the game, extra Joy-Con, and eshop credit for potential cosmetic unlocks. This is the first Bomberman in 7 years. I thought Konami would kill the franchise forever. Worth it.

- You can earn coins by playing
- Coins are used to unlock stuff, also to buy you more lives to continue the level
- You will restart the world if you die while having no coin like in the 90s or some shit

https://youtu.be/qadzCB3CLlI?t=8683

Guess most people only read the OP then proceed to shit on Konami.

Yagharek

- Coins are used to unlock stuff, also to buy you more lives to continue the level
- You will restart the world if you die while having no coin like in the 90s or some shit

Speaking generally, I wonder how many people read a factually wrong OP, assume it is true, driveby shitpost and then walk away never to acknowledge they were wrong when some actual information emerges.

SnakeEyes

Banned

Because people get over-excited too early.

Saying these things is no guarantee that you aren't also encouraged to buy them for real money, though.

Also, in all the Treehouse footage I never once saw them earning a single gem. You'll note in OP's image, they were on level 1-4, and still have the nice round number of 50,000 gems. If they're necessary to continue, you'd expect to see some of them earned in the first couple levels.

Plus in the Treehouse footage, we briefly get a look at the main menu:

JCTrBRK.png

This is possibly reading too much into it, but a shopping cart might be an indicator of a real world cash shop. Most games don't use that type of icon for in-game shops because it's such a real world construct, and something we're used to seeing on digital shopping sites like Amazon. Usually you'll see a shopkeeper or money bags or something instead.

Speaking generally, I wonder how many people read a factually wrong OP, assume it is true, driveby shitpost and then walk away never to acknowledge they were wrong when some actual information emerges.

I realize you're speaking generally, but I wanted to clarify that OP is not factually wrong in this case, just speculative. It points out pretty much the same things that the person you replied to said.

Top Bottom