• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R uses in-game currency to continue

jackal27

Banned
It's like all the most misguided concepts in the industry over the last 10 years are being distilled into this console.
Man, you're just having a time with these threads tonight. What do the console's features have to do with Bomberman using in-game currency for continues???

Maiar_m

Wasn't that mechanic already in place in the GBA game? The treehouse stream made clear this was just a small punishment for effing up at the cost of some cosmetic unlocks.

duckroll

It was great, but it had obviously shoehorned microtransactions in it.

Every game these days does. Some people are willing to pay. It had exactly zero impact on my enjoyment of the game and at no time did I feel the game was designed to make me pay.

rec0ded1

Sounds like in game currency as a motivator to get good and not fuck up. Welcome to limited continues of Nes and snes days quit crying :p.

If it's microtransactions I'll eat crow but wouldn't be surprised. It is coming from pachinko dealers after all.

leroidys

It's like all the most misguided concepts in the industry over the last 10 years are being distilled into this console.

Man, you're just having a time with these threads tonight. What do the console's features have to do with Bomberman using in-game currency for continues???

It's like all the misguided kneejerk backlash and hyperbole of the past 10 years being distilled into a post.

Greddleok

Every game these days does. Some people are willing to pay. It had exactly zero impact on my enjoyment of the game and at no time did I feel the game was designed to make me pay.

This. I never once paid for anything in MGSV, and it still remains one of my favourite games ever.

Not paying didn't affect my enjoyment, not paying didn't affect what I could do in game and I never felt like I had to pay.

LewieP

That's not true. Lots of games don't have microtransactions.

Especially on Nintendo consoles.

I scoffed at first, but then remembered this is Konami were talking about, and they hate games and everyone who plays them, so I'm expecting the worst now.

And just more broadly, maintain some dignity and don't buy Konami games everyone.

Let's all have a bit more dignity and remember what utter shit gobbling arse clowns the company management is made up. Don't give them your money.

If 50,000 is accurate to what the average player will have for gems and continuing only costs 10 gems this is a big non issue.

Heck lets assume the worst (based upon what we know) that this is an overwatch type scenario where playing the game single or multi gets you gems that can use to buy cosmetics for multiplayer and spend an inconsequential amount to continue or you can buy them with real life currency. Honestly as long as its not tied to loot crates wouldn't this be an ideal solution that people in the various overwatch threads asked for (assuming this doesn't use a loot crate system)?

The only way this could actually ruin bomberman is if they let you spend gems on upgrade items between rounds in multiplayer to start with things like kick bomb, remote control bomb, etc. That is where the game should shift into "fuck konami" territory.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, maybe I'm in denial, but what if it's not an insidious microtransaction scheme and just the currency for unlocking new stuff in the game? Y'know, like how games used to be.

Oddish1

I scoffed at first, but then remembered this is Konami were talking about, and they hate games and everyone who plays them, so I'm expecting the worst now.

And just more broadly, maintain some dignity and don't buy Konami games everyone.

Let's all have a bit more dignity and remember what utter shit gobbling arse clowns the company management is made up. Don't give them your money.

Or if the game is good we can support it so Konami will continue making good games and everyone is happy?

xrnzaaas

Isn't this kinda like playing arcade? You pay to get an extra chance to keep your current progress or you start from the beginning. Anyway it sucks even it's like that. In normal game they could just add various difficulty levels.

Metal Gear Solid 5 started this nonsense for Konami. I still can't believe they weren't roasted alive for some of the design decisions behind that game. The fuckery will likely be on full display for MG Survive.

I mean, maybe I'm in denial, but what if it's not an insidious microtransaction scheme and just the currency for unlocking new stuff in the game? Y'know, like how games used to be.

Don't give Konami the benefit of the doubt on this, trust me. You get in game currency in mgs5, but then Microtransaction currency to make things unlock faster, as even after purchases and mission deployments you have to wait through unlock timers ranging from 1 hour to 6 days.

leroidys

If the game is good, why should we boycott it?

Yagharek

Metal Gear Solid 5 started this nonsense for Konami. I still can't believe they weren't roasted alive for some of the design decisions behind that game. The fuckery will likely be on full display for MG Survive.

Don't give Konami the benefit of the doubt on this, trust me. You get in game currency in mgs5, but then Microtransaction currency to make things unlock faster, as even after purchases and mission deployments you have to wait through unlock timers ranging from 1 hour to 6 days.

PES is fine and there is no interruption playing it and the latest one came out after MGSV.

Maybe wait for some facts to be clarified before getting too excited.

duckroll

When I meant by average was that after an average amount of time played. If after a few hours of single and multi you have thousands of gems and its always 10 to continue then its basically free.

I don't think gems will be hard to come by, it isn't just for continues. It is actually the standard in-game currency for unlocks. So I expect there to be costumes and accessories which cost hundreds or thousands of gems, and basically continuing a lot will start to chip away at gems you are saving for a bigger unlock, but it's up to you.

So Bomberman now is possibly full priced game with high chances of huge amount of microtransactions being needed to customise everything.

And the content will probably be barely worth of indie game ?

Yeah that sounds cool.

IrishNinja

XBSZnGY.png

modbot where u at bruh

Alx

Real hardcore gamers don't continue. This is a price only casuals will have to pay and they already love mobile games and are used to it. What's the problem? I'm just using gamer logic here! Would YOU admit that you needed to continue in a game?!

Joke aside, there is some truth to it. As a big fan of arcade gaming, I do miss the tension of having a real cost to continue a game, something that is lost on home consoles. I think it was Crimson Dragoon that had a similar system, and being myself as cheap with virtual currencies as I was with real ones at arcade, I always preferred starting from scratch for free than paying to continue.

We are definitely begin to see the era of mobile exploitation take its toll on general literacy about traditional conventions like continue/restart mechanics.

Oregano

Yeah - it's bomberman - core gameplay is what would be classified as indie game in the west and even then on the lower part of spectrum.

It has some story mode though, with voice acting + co-op. It's not just the multiplayer stuff.

Plus it's Bomberman. It can sell on nostalgia anyway.

Scrawnton

Why don't people use the "jump to conclusions" picture anymore? Is it bannable? Would have been great for 99% of today's thread and especially this one.

Cepheus

Also, just because it uses in-game currency to unlock stuff doesn't mean that there's going to be microtransactions. Super Monkey Ball 2 on GameCube had in-game currency that you used to unlock new minigames and game modes, and lots of older games did the same. This isn't a new thing.

Niwa

Jesus Christ, people. Even Shin Megami Tensei 4 on the 3DS has such a feature when you die.

Plenty of games do, since years…

LordKano

Even Bravely Default/Second had microtransacitons. Who used them ? None.

It's not really an issue if the game gives enough gems to play by yourself.

Top Bottom