• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World - Introduction video

Jrs3000

Looks fucking ridiculous

The Mii Ghost data is a ridiculously smart feature. Racing your friends best times is the next best thing from online co-op.

Still wish it had online co-op though.

I'm surprised they put this in. Slowly they are including online features that've been missing finally.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
not sure if already posted

here's the full SM3DW poster at 9400x5500 resolution.
Personally, it's my new desktop

Grand_Group_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.jpg

Hiltz

Super Mario 3D world has two extra gameplay modes.

The Adventures of Captain Toad

Use the gyrosensor of the GamePad to control Mario's movements and manipulate camera control in different stages, but you cannot use the jump at all. As a result, enemy encounters are more dangerous while being on the look out for finding 5 green stars.

Mystery House

Complete a series of timed courses while collecting green stars. This mode is based on 3D Land's Mystery Box, but there's more boxes connected in the courses. It's said to be a little more difficult than it looks, but if you make a mistake, it is easy to see what you did wrong.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10...itional-modes?abthid=526800c2111261285600000b

-Eddman-

Looks amazing, as expected. Only one thing bothers me: Why is Nintendo neglecting the red Toad since New Mario Bros Wii? I mean, he's the original Toad, he should be there.

So much crow has to be eaten over this. I remember them first showing it at E3 with that horrid stream and people thinking this started as a 3ds title. It's clear now this this game will be magical and packed full of new ideas. NEVER doubt our EAD Tokyo lords!

Exile20

Super Mario 3D world has two extra gameplay modes.

The Adventures of Captain Toad

Use the gyrosensor of the GamePad to control Mario's movements and manipulate camera control, but you cannot use the jump at all. As a result enemy encounters are more dangerous while being on the look out for finding 5 green stars.

Mystery House

Complete a series of timed stages while collecting green stars. This mode is based on 3D Land's Mystery Box except in 3D World, there's more boxes connected in the course of the level. It's said to be a little more difficult than it looks, but if you make a mistake, it is easy to see what you did wrong.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10...itional-modes?abthid=526800c2111261285600000b

OH GOD OH GOD

Nintendo please pack this game with modes, features and stages. Please. The game size seems small but I have faith.

Piers

Another of those Japanese commercial videos that basically spoil the entire game's content. (Depending on perspective, though)

Saw a few snippets and quickly stopped the video. It's looking great, nonetheless.

VanWinkle

I can't get over how WRETCHED this section looks:

j0iwZSq6V3hVo.PNG

Why would they keep that in there? It was in the last trailer, too. They need to scrap that area or do a major overhaul or something. Ugly colors, BARREN wasteland, terrible grass texture, etc.

So much crow has to be eaten over this. I remember them first showing it at E3 with that horrid stream and people thinking this started as a 3ds title. It's clear now this this game will be magical and packed full of new ideas. NEVER doubt our EAD Tokyo lords!

Yeah, they must just be horrible at making first impressions, if 3D World was any indication.

It's so weird. Everyone was shitting on this game when it was first shown at E3 this year, now everyone is hyping it as the GOTY. How did that happen?

Why would they keep that in there? It was in the last trailer, too. They need to scrap that area or do a major overhaul or something. Ugly colors, BARREN wasteland, terrible grass texture, etc.

I don't think that's a proper level, it looks like a bonus stage where-in a load of rabbits are running around and you've got to catch them before time runs out. Still, I understand your frustration.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It's so weird. Everyone was shitting on this game when it was first shown at E3 this year, now everyone is hyping it as the GOTY. How did that happen?

the weird thing is those suddenly doubting EAD Tokyo's skills. I'm still baffled at the absurdity

People simply saw more of the game. It happens. Much like how people think they've heard the entire soundtrack and that it's surely nothing close to Mario Galaxy's scores. :p

edit:

It has been confirmed that the composers of the two Super Mario Galaxy games, Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota, are creating the soundtrack for Super Mario 3D World
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/super-...galaxy-composers-possibly-an-orchestral-sound

So yeah not much to worry about there.

The probable lack of a master orchestrated soundtrack to rival the Galaxy games pretty much confirms that Nintendo don't see this as the next 'proper' 3D Mario.

I think they've confirmed they see this as a bridge title between the 2D and 3D games anyway.

Nevertheless, this looks like it will be really really good. Can't wait to play it with friends and family over Christmas.

zroid

Banned
Here's a crash course on Nintendo game unveils:

They hit you with the bare minimum at first, enough to whet your appetite, and show you how the game plays on a basic level, without revealing any of the juicy goodness hidden beneath. Remember how the second half of 3D Land was embargoed even from mentioning in reviews? Most people consider that the best part of the game by far, and we didn't even know about it till we played the game ourselves. That's Nintendo. Slow hype buildup to a fever pitch near release date (ideally). It's working with 3D World, although they almost certainly regret leaving a bad impression at first. They should have shown just a bit more.

Here's a crash course on how most other publishers usually do game unveils:

Give you the most bombastic, over-the-top, cinematic trailer they can churn out, pretty much custom designed to ignite our hype engines, without really showing much or any gameplay, and often resorting to tricks such as target renders or using absolutely beastly spec PC visuals. The games almost always underwhelm compared to their reveals when we actually get them, but hey the pubs got their pre-orders, so why should they care, right? I think these practises are become more obviously transparent though, so they aren't working as well as they used to.

The probable lack of a master orchestrated soundtrack to rival the Galaxy games pretty much confirms that Nintendo don't see this as the next 'proper' 3D Mario.

I think they've confirmed they see this as a bridge title between the 2D and 3D games anyway.

Nevertheless, this looks like it was be really really good. Can't wait to play it with friends and family over Christmas.

Said before but Big Band is just a viable as orchestral music.

Why are people unwilling to drop this?

I can't get over how WRETCHED this section looks:

j0iwZSq6V3hVo.PNG

Yeah, they must just be horrible at making first impressions, if 3D World was any indication.

I think there's more to it. Why are all the tree's and brushes shaking at the same time with a weird rattling sound?

This doesnt make sense. Mario 64 and Sunshine didnt have this type of soundtrack. I actually prefer what im hearing in 3d world over galaxy. The galaxy music gave mario a disney like image. It was nice, but it didn't feel like mario to me.

Sciz

It has been confirmed that the composers of the two Super Mario Galaxy games, Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota, are creating the soundtrack for Super Mario 3D World

So yeah not much to worry about there.
Yokota stumbled during the Galaxy 1 -> Galaxy 2 transition (Ryo Nagamatsu picked up his slack, thankfully), and Kondo's been off his game for over a decade. If it's just the two of them, I'd expect to get a few good tracks, but nothing special in a general sense.

KHlover

Banned
Said before but Big Band is just a viable as orchestral music.

Why are people unwilling to drop this?

Because at this time it pretty much LITERALLY is their last straw to criticise the game. The last two trailers pretty much destroyed all concerns about the graphics and gameplay, thus they'll criticise the music.

Sendou

I have to say that this thread is funny in retrospective. We had comments about selling Wii U because of this and claiming how 3D Land is going to be ruined because of this game.

Kouriozan

Here's a crash course on Nintendo game unveils:

They hit you with the bare minimum at first, enough to whet your appetite, and show you how the game plays on a basic level, without revealing any of the juicy goodness hidden beneath. Remember how the second half of 3D Land was embargoed even from mentioning in reviews? Most people consider that the best part of the game by far, and we didn't even know about it till we played the game ourselves. That's Nintendo. Slow hype buildup to a fever pitch near release date (ideally). It's working with 3D World, although they almost certainly regret leaving a bad impression at first. They should have shown just a bit more.

Here's a crash course on how most other publishers usually do game unveils:

Give you the most bombastic, over-the-top, cinematic trailer they can churn out, pretty much custom designed to ignite our hype engines, without really showing much or any gameplay, and often resorting to tricks such as target renders or using absolutely beastly spec PC visuals. The games almost always underwhelm compared to their reveals when we actually get them, but hey the pubs got their pre-orders, so why should they care, right? I think these practises are become more obviously transparent though, so they aren't working as well as they used to.
Ahaha, this is so true.
I'm ready to be blown away by 3D world's secrets that reviewers won't even be able to talk of.

HeySeuss

What's with the Toad hate? I've mained him since SMB2 when it became obvious that he had the best skill set.

Toad>Mario>Luigi>Peach

Speed is king.

The only potential issue I could see with this game is length. I want to be at least as long as Galaxy 2 but hopefully without the awful trash burning type filler. Also I happily eat crow for having a second of doubt about the game. It doesn't look like the MP is hampering the levels at all.

mantidor

Yokota stumbled during the Galaxy 1 -> Galaxy 2 transition (Ryo Nagamatsu picked up his slack, thankfully), and Kondo's been off his game for over a decade. If it's just the two of them, I'd expect to get a few good tracks, but nothing special in a general sense.

wat

kondo of his game for 10 years? Yokota "stumbled" with galaxy 2? what the hell are you talking about? They are amazing composers!

after that Britney Spears / Pink Floyd thread, it really seems music GAF is worst GAF.

The only game Yokota stumbled on was Skyward Sword. Galaxy 2's OST was better than the first even though I know that's an unpopular opinion. Kondo hasn't done his best work recently though especially with some of the NSMB trash.

RagnarokX

I don't think that's a proper level, it looks like a bonus stage where-in a load of rabbits are running around and you've got to catch them before time runs out. Still, I understand your frustration.

It's a proper level. It's after this part:
iCsJzUo.jpg

You can see the big field in the background.

Nevertheless, this looks like it will be really really good. Can't wait to play it with friends and family over Christmas.

Yes, because we all know sweeping orchestral sounds are appropreate for absolutely everything.

Not even SMG2 was ENTIRELY orchestrated. Not sure why that one style has become the end all be all in determining an OSTs quality. Some of you need to take a music appreciation course or something, because you seriously don't even know what you're talking about.

KiN0

The only game Yokota stumbled on was Skyward Sword. Galaxy 2's OST was better than the first even though I know that's an unpopular opinion. Kondo hasn't done his best work recently though especially with some of the NSMB trash.

I'm pretty sure yokota was mostly an arranger for that soundtrack with the exception of the ending medley which he wrote himself.

Top Bottom