• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madouu

I wish people used reviews as a general impression of a game and not go mental whenever ONE dude on some website rates it below expectation.

I don't really care about ratings of one dude, or even ten dudes for that matter. I have a few reviewers that seem to have the same taste as me and those are the ones I follow mainly.

I think people here are just making fun of how "Bowser being an antagonist" and Multiplayer not adding anything to the experience seem to be extremely silly cons. It does feel as though the reviewer really forced himself to found anything to put there, and that's all he could find, which ironically speaks well about the game...

I still don't get people who care about the story in mainline Mario games... Who gives a shit about the antagonist if the platforming is good really?

Many reviewers or commentators don't realize that it's inappropriate for a game like Mario to have a lot of plot and characterization. Games like Mario are all about pace; if you keep breaking up the pace with cut scenes, character development, loading screens, broken bridges, it really ruins that playground-like feel that make these games special. Mario Galaxy managed this really well; it had a nice story, but it didn't break up the game play to tell it to you (
you had to go to the library to hear Rosalina read the story and it was all completely optional
)

balohna

Sterling (who's not at Destructoid any more but will probably review it for Escapist) gave 3D Land an 8.5 and the rest of the staff seems to love Mario going by past reviews. I'm expecting a high score from them honestly.

Yeah. Not sure what Chris Carter thinks of Mario, but if they get someone like Dale North or Jonathan Holmes to review it a high score is all but guaranteed.

McDougles

A colleague of mine posted a review for GameSided. 9/10.

GameSided said:
While it would have been nice to have a smooth, perfect play experience and better multiplayer, Super Mario 3D World is one of the best in the franchise. Mario is reinvented with the new gameplay style, and Nintendo’s approach couldn’t be more spot on.

pants

ANN

We're surrounded right now by next-gen games trying to trick us into thinking that shiny new tech alone is a substitute for fun, engaging, and creative game design. It's nice that there are games like Super Mario 3D World that make us realize the folly of that school of thought.

Overall : A

Nibel

Kotaku - YES

SM3DW is a fantastic game. Just...fun, from beginning to "end". I had a smile on my face almost the entire time. It's packed with charm from front to back, contains some memorable levels and provides seamless multiplayer fun. If you own a Wii U, congratulations, your wait for a truly special game for the system is over.

denzel-washington-boom.gif

Gamespot - 9.0/10

Positives:
+ Wildly imaginative level design
+ Effortless controls
+ Loads of challenging extra content to discover
+ Gorgeous, colourful visuals and a catchy soundtrack
+ It's Mario in a cat suit!

Negatives:
- Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.