• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition coming to Europe

confused

Banned
Arren said:
I'd rather have them distribute a version that's visually and technically faithful to the original.

But if you are in PAL region they are visually and technically faithful to the PAL originals. Or did you play the NTSC versions on your PAL NES through childhood ?

cvxfreak

Allan Holdsworth said:
NoA... ?
Getting ahold of the Japanese version is proving difficult, and not sure on the Euro version because of the whole 50Hz thing.
I have one reserved for you, FYI.

elektrixx

Banned
confused said:
But if you are in PAL region they are visually and technically faithful to the PAL originals. Or did you play the NTSC versions on your PAL NES through childhood ?
Look, the thing is that these old PAL games are black-bordered 50hz interlaced garbage-dumps. I don't want them.

Arren

confused said:
What we played back then doesn't really matter to this extent. If today you recognize that the versions you experienced at the time were visibly limited, AND now there's a chance to eradicate those faults, it should be appropriate to put some effort into it.

Nostalgia shouldn't interfere with the reasonable desire to play what you loved in its entire and authentic form. On the contrary, it should be the impulse fuelling that desire.

I mean, I understand the nostalgic motives perfectly, given that I consider myself a collector and primarily a retrogamer, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't hope to enjoy these old games in the format they were actually meant to be enjoyed.

Let's not time-travel to the 90's for the wrong reasons. :(

confused said:
Most people played their SNES via RF on an old portable TV, it doesn't mean they want to do the same now just because it's "visually faithful". Most dedicated retro gamers have modified their systems for region free, 60hz, stereo sound and RGB, and they are hooked up to flatscreen CRT TVs for the best possible picture and sound.

m.i.s.

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I don't know why that didn't occur to me, but yes, this would be much, much, MUCH more desirable if it was on the DS instead.

Wouldn't that be even worse? DS only has a vertical pixel resolution of 192 compared to 240 on NES. It can certainly be done judging by Super Mario Bros DX on GBC and the various Super Mario Advance titles on GBA but the lack of vertical resolution makes it far from ideal. SMB DX on GBC, for example, has to scroll up and down to fit in the vertical resolution of the NES title (like R-type on PC Engine). It's been a while since I've played it but this would be the worst possible way to play a platformer with collapsing / pulleys, fireballs / sticks, lifts, goombas, koopa para/troopers.

Anyhoo, judging from the S/NES titles I've downloaded, major PAL VC titles have been optimised to run full screen and as close as is possible to the original speed.

If that's not good enough, well, there's always the US import option.

Arren

M.I.S. said:
Anyhoo, judging from the major S/NES titles I've downloaded, PAL VC titles have been optimised to run full screen and as close as is possible to the original speed.
That is unfortunately false. Yes, black borders have been eliminated from some of Nintendo's most appreciated productions, but 99% of those games are still locked to irritatingly slow 50hz gameplay, aside from a few sparse occurrences (such as the Hanabi Festival releases, but that's because they actually contain modified JP roms).

You can find quite a lot of reports on the web, supporting with adequate proof the ubiquitous presence of this fallacy on Virtual Console.

It's not even a Nintendo exclusive. Back in the day I bought the PAL VC release of 'Sonic The Hedgehog' for MegaDrive / Genesis and, trust me, it's dreadfully slower almost to the degree of being unplayable.

m.i.s.

Banned
Arren said:
That is unfortunately false. Yes, black borders have been eliminated from some of Nintendo's most appreciated productions, but 99% of those games are still locked to irritatingly slow 50hz gameplay, aside from a few sparse occurrences (such as the Hanabi Festival releases, but that's because they actually contain modified JP roms).

You can find quite a lot of reports on the web, supporting with adequate proof the ubiquitous presence of this fallacy on Virtual Console.

It's not even a Nintendo exclusive. Back in the day I bought the PAL VC release of 'Sonic The Hedgehog' for MegaDrive / Genesis and, trust me, it's dreadfully slower almost to the degree of being unplayable.

Most major Nintendo titles have been optimised but yes, I did see the Sonic 50/60hz comparisons - which is why I gave it a wide berth.

Anyway, preordered for £20!!!!!

Super Mario All-Stars

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Himuro said:
Yes, as someone who has the Zelda collectors disc, yes I am. There is no excuse, this is a rip off and a horrible way of celebrating Mario's 25th.
You mean the collector's edition that was never sold commercially?

Okay.

Arren

Chinner said:
is the all stars with the booklet and cd the standard edition or will there be two?
No, I think there will be only one version available, the one containing all the celebrative additions mentioned in the op.

Anyone think this is to make more money since Nintendo isn't going to be selling as many DS & Wii systems this fall since the 3DS is coming next year?

Come on NoA announce it dammit.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm a big fan of red:

5071894290_a414d75d47_b.jpg

5071288315_f1b7a5f360_b.jpg

Himuro said:
I'm still amazed they didn't put Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, and Sunshine on this.

Because it's a lot easier for them to slap a Super Mario All-Stars ROM on a disc (which can fit 538396835968368 ROMs) and call it an "anniversary collection".

Gee, to think back in 1993 when SNES got it, that in 2010 the same product would be all we would get for Mario's 25th anniversary...

gerg

jetsetfluken said:
Gee, to think back in 1993 when SNES got it, that in 2010 the same product would be all we would get for Mario's 25th anniversary...

You're not only getting Super Mario All-Stars for Mario's 25th anniversary. Not only is there the extra content bundled with the game itself, but there are special edition DSi XL and Wii units being released.

gerg said:
You're not only getting Super Mario All-Stars for Mario's 25th anniversary. Not only is there the extra content bundled with the game itself, but there are special edition DSi XL and Wii units being released.

I'm talking about the actual game content. It's a SMA ROM.

That said I'm still ordering the JP version. No preorders open anywhere I'm looking though, even this close to release...were they filled up already?

gerg

jetsetfluken said:
I'm talking about the actual game content. It's a SMA ROM.

I was just clarifying that it would have been incorrect to think, all the way back in 1993, that the "same product" would be all that you would "get" in celebration of Mario's 25th Anniversary.

Edit: I understand that you feel that Nintendo skimped on the game package, but the reality is that what generally pushes these types of games is the supplementary celebratory content, and not the actual game content that people most likely own anyway.

BadSanta said:
It was not at the same place, but I have it on my day one Wii box.

Ah, I see.

I wonder why Nintendo moved it...

Wazzim

Banned
Will these be included in the Red Wii bundle? Might grab one up, my little brother of 11 fucking loves the 2D super mario games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
confused said:
That sure is pretty. Too bad I'll never buy a DSi.

What version of Donkey Kong comes with the Wii ? NES or Arcade ?
It sounds like the Arcade version, they may of let the cat out of the bag without realizing it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:
Has that "microprocessor technology" logo always been on the Wii box?

Not sure about PAL, but NA Wiis have that logo. It's odd; the Nintendo branding is nowhere to be found on the Wii (which is just "Wii", not "Nintendo Wii"), but there's a gaggle of other logos imprinted on the side of the case.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Stumpokapow said:
Not sure about PAL, but NA Wiis have that logo. It's odd; the Nintendo branding is nowhere to be found on the Wii (which is just "Wii", not "Nintendo Wii"), but there's a gaggle of other logos imprinted on the side of the case.

There's no Nintendo imprint at the back on the right (or top) side on US Wii's?

Argh. Despite owning its predecessor and not necessarily enjoying it, I might have to splurge on the Mario DSi XL if it ever comes stateside, the 3DS be damned. I'd also get that fucking delicious red Wii if Nintendo would let me copy my hundreds of dollars worth of WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases to the new system.

Oh, and I'd happily fork out the money for Super Mario All-Stars provided it's sold at a budget price. Or if it were sold on the DS instead. That would be even better.

Turrican3 said:
Wii Sports logo = no Resort bundled, just plain old Wii Sports?

I think it is safe to assume so, but...

You're already getting two games (Wii Sports and NSMBWii) together with a pack-in VC game, so I doubt they'd include yet another game. It's basically the now-standard Wii SKU with the Remote Plus replacing the Remote and M+, and NSMBWii replacing WSR, with DK thrown in as a little extra.

CiSTM

Banned
cjelly said:
I'm a big fan of red:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4154/5071894290_a414d75d47_b.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5071288315_f1b7a5f360_b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Woah, didn't know EU was getting red Wii. Thanks for the update bro/sis.

Turrican3

Cosmonaut X said:
You're already getting two games (Wii Sports and NSMBWii) together with a pack-in VC game, so I doubt they'd include yet another game.
Yeah I'm not complaining, I just think it would have made more sense to bundle a game (arguably the best one) that supports motionplus technology now that it's built-in.

Turrican3 said:
Yeah I'm not complaining, I just think it would have made more sense to bundle a game (arguably the best one) that supports motionplus technology now that it's built-in.

Well, I think the standard Wii SKU from here on out will do just that - it's just that this particular pack is a themed one.

IIRC, that gives us three packs:
  • Wii (White) w. Remote Plus and Nunchuk, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort
  • Wii (Black) w. Remote Plus and Nunchuk, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort
  • Wii (Red) w. Remote Plus and Nunchuk, Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong (Arcade?)

gerg

Stumpokapow said:

Yeah, but that's a (good) conscious design choice.

I met someone once who didn't realise that Nintendo made the Wii. I think it somewhat blew his mind when I said that they did.

Azure Phoenix said:
Sooooo very glad I held off buying a DSi XL a few months ago, that's the nicest special edition handheld I've ever seen. Any word on what the RRP will be?

With the 3DS out in just a few months, I wouldn't buy any kind of DS now, no matter what the price.

Top Bottom