• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition coming to Europe

25th anniversary DSi XL is coming to North america

1113000241716_180X180.jpg

The bundle includes:

Mario 25th anniversary Special Edition Red DSi XL
Mario Kart DS
Brain age Express: Math (pre-installed)
Brain age Express: arts & letters (pre-installed)
Photo Clock (pre-installed)

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...XL,+Red&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

teeny

Perhaps Nintendo decided to omit World because it requires the classic controller?

It would be pretty annoying as a customer not in the know to boot up world and be asked to play with a peripheral that did not come with the machine, and one which I may not want to purchase for any other reason.

Its a sore point for us lot, but I guess it makes sense on a wider scale.

Besides, I bet most of us had World downloaded the moment it hit the Virtual Console.

This is really lame... I would expect something like this to given away via Club Nintendo... not sold as a retail game. Why not just release it on the VC? I can't believe people get excited for stuff like this, it's like wearing "Please Rape Me" speedos before taking a shower in prison.

Super Mario World wasn't on all versions of All Stars, certainly not on the intial releases of it...

I think its a shame that they didn't do a more ambitious collection though.

MNC

What the fuck, Super Mario World was on some All Star releases? It's not on mine, I have a seperate cartridge.

radioheadrule83 said:
I think it may have only came out like that in the USA. I don't recall seeing it in the UK anyway.
It definitely was released in the UK as I've got a copy in my cupboard, but I think it was only as a part of late console bundles.

Ben2749 said:
With the 3DS out in just a few months, I wouldn't buy any kind of DS now, no matter what the price.
I have absolutely no interest in the 3DS.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if it came with New Super Mario Brothers instead I'd be inclined to buy that XL. It's really too bad I don't enjoy racing games.

big_z

InfiniteNine said:
Yup, they even gave Luigi his own unique sprite in it.
P0iv5.jpg

isnt the all-stars version of mario world missing some graphics? certain background elements were removed to allow it to fit on the cart. there's a webpage with tons of interesting mario stuff that has info on it but i cant remember what it's called.

InfiniteNine said:
Well if it came with New Super Mario Brothers instead I'd be inclined to buy that XL. It's really too bad I don't enjoy racing games.

I own both Mario Kart DS and NSMB already, so the game bundled doesn't mean much to me. Probably will give it to someone for Christmas.

The system itself though is incredibly slick, I must have it.

Foffy

Banned
Ben2749 said:
With the 3DS out in just a few months, I wouldn't buy any kind of DS now, no matter what the price.

I don't really let the impending release of a new platform hinder my desires for one of the newer iterations of a current platform. But that's just me being weird, as I never buy new systems to play games from older, previous platform releases. I'd rather be sold on the new games exclusive to the new platform instead of older titles. :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ConradCervantes said:
I own both Mario Kart DS and NSMB already, so the game bundled doesn't mean much to me. Probably will give it to someone for Christmas.

The system itself though is incredibly slick, I must have it.
It is very slick, and I could justify getting another DS to myself more if it came out with a game I'd enjoy. If it comes out with a different game from another retailer I'll jump on it fast.

Rich!

radioheadrule83 said:
It was on a later re-release in 1994.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_All-Stars
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_All-Stars_Super_Mario_World

I think it may have only came out like that in the USA. I don't recall seeing it in the UK anyway.

I got a copy of All-Stars + World bundled with my UK SNES way long ago. It was awesome.

big_z said:
isnt the all-stars version of mario world missing some graphics? certain background elements were removed to allow it to fit on the cart. there's a webpage with tons of interesting mario stuff that has info on it but i cant remember what it's called.

Nope, it's identical (apart from luigi graphics on SMW). Big SMW hacker here.

Ramune

I remember getting "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World" with a "Mario Set" bundle the Christmas of '94 (US SNES). Even came with a mail in offer for a free 2nd controller. Saved me from the 32X fiasco, that's for sure! (32X or SNES; kinda obvious decision) :lol

They didn't change anything in Mario World to fit the cart, except for Luigi's sprite, which for all purposes, was an improvement IMO.

smassmwluigi.gif

from The Mushroom Kingdom

Osuwari

bundling MKDS with the limited edition DSi XL looks very random.
at least NSMB makes sense.

i guess that's NOA for you. masters of the half-ass neo art.

also, am i the only one who never noticed the different luigi sprite in the SMAS+SMW cart? i went out of my way to get that bundle since i already had a SNES, SMW and SMAS just to have that cart and beat it (only beat SMW lol) and yet i never noticed that difference.

confused

Banned
Ramune said:
I remember getting "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World" with a "Mario Set" bundle the Christmas of '94 (US SNES). Even came with a mail in offer for a free 2nd controller. Saved me from the 32X fiasco, that's for sure! (32X or SNES; kinda obvious decision) :lol

They didn't change anything in Mario World to fit the cart, except for Luigi's sprite, which for all purposes, was an improvement IMO.

smassmwluigi.gif

ITT : we take a piss all over your childhood memories :lol

Jackano

Never noticed either but I live in PAL land and I never had this cardridge.

This new Luigi sprite is so cute! He slide on his knees, and he even brick the blocks with his fraking head! :lol

Fularu said:
I already own both NSMB and MKDS :(

Doesn't just about everyone with a DS? clearly this bundle is for first time owners unfortunately. And there are potential first timers out there. Just think when the system launched almost 6 years ago little 2 year old kids were learning how to walk and say their first few words. now those kids are 8 years old and ready for their first DS this Christmas. New market potential keeps being born for Nintendo.

I will be buying but this should of included Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island & the original Super Mario Kart!

It is Mario's 25th Anniversary after all so they should of gone all out, I'm just thinking of all that space on the DVD that won't be used :(

& they should also include a Red Wiimote too

Dizzy

Banned
So is this really just Super Mario All Stars ripped from the SNES? Is there anything different? I want it but GAME has it listed at £20, which is a little excessive for a SNES rom.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dizzy said:
So is this really just Super Mario All Stars ripped from the SNES? Is there anything different? I want it but GAME has it listed at £20, which is a little excessive for a SNES rom.

We don't know that yet, actually. I think it's more likely they took the source for SMAS and recompiled it for the Wii... but I suppose we'll find out soon.

Why For?

Banned
Bought the Mario 20th Anniversary Edition Gameboy Micro

Bought the Mario DSLite

Now I will buy the Mario DSi XL.

Also the Red Mario Wii. Might have to sell the Black one.

Why For? said:
Bought the Mario 20th Anniversary Edition Gameboy Micro

Bought the Mario DSLite

Now I will buy the Mario DSi XL.

Also the Red Mario Wii. Might have to sell the Black one.

Okay that is a bit ridiculous. The Wii is just red, it's not like it has artwork on the cover or something. lol

I'm just going to buy the collection if they decide to release it in the US. I think they'll release it in December here, November has 3 games coming out from Nintendo.

PokePark Wii, FlingSmash, and then Donkey Kong Country Returns.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Ramune said:

smassmwluigi.gif

Man, I was so under the impression that those Mario flashes featuring Luigi' sprite as seen on SMAA+SMW were made by the fandom itself.

Move this into the Mind Blowing facts, guys :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Josh7289 said:
It's not Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World because they still sell Super Mario World on VC, obviously.
No, it's because they would have to include a classic controller for people to play it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Fuzzy said:
No, it's because they would have to include a classic controller for people to play it.

Actually, I thought about that ages ago and kept meaning to post it here... SMW and YI can't be played (easily) using just a Wii remote.

hirokazu

lucablight said:
Really lazy of Nintendo to not include Super mario world when it was available in the SNES version.
No it wasn't. That was a later bundle that was labeled Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World. This is just Super Mario All-Stars.

You could argue they could've used the SMAS+SMW ROM, but I guess like people said, they'd then have to bundle a classic controller or have angry customers.

Jackano

hirokazu said:
No it wasn't. That was a later bundle that was labeled Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World. This is just Super Mario All-Stars.

You could argue they could've used the SMAS+SMW ROM, but I guess like people said, they'd then have to bundle a classic controller or have angry customers.
And it's Super Mario Bros anniversary, not Super Mario World!

m.i.s.

Banned
Frencherman said:
Am I the only one which mind is fully blown here?

This is one of the few occasions where this change is actually for the better. Gaf detective agency strikes again!!

Does Super Mario World on the VC have this new Luigi sprite?

Rich!

DavidDayton said:
Actually, I thought about that ages ago and kept meaning to post it here... SMW and YI can't be played (easily) using just a Wii remote.

Sure they can, and can be done so on SNES9Xwii.

SMW:

Dpad - Move
1 - Run
2 - Jump
B - Spinjump
+ - Start
- - Select.

That's all you need.

Yoshi's Island is a bit trickier but still fully possible:

1 - Tongue
2 - Jump
B - Throw eggs

richisawesome said:
Sure they can, and can be done so on SNES9Xwii.

SMW:

Dpad - Move
1 - Run
2 - Jump
B - Spinjump+ - Start
- - Select.

That's all you need.

Yoshi's Island is a bit trickier but still fully possible:

1 - Tongue
2 - Jump
B - Throw eggs

reaching the B-Button is a pain in the ass when holding the wiimote NES style.
I dunno if it would work that well.

Top Bottom