• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition coming to Europe

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
omg.kittens said:
I don't get what the big deal is... It's Super Mario All Stars WITHOUT Super Mario World.

It's a game we've had for 15+ years... But worse. :lol

Plus, aren't all these games already available for download on the virtual console?
But that's not the point. You can grab Super Mario World emulated superbly via the VC. You can grab Super Mario Bros. 1-3 on the VC, complete with NES graphical glitches and all!

What you can't grab is Super Mario All-Stars on the VC, which is practically akin to the Reprise versions of Dragon Quest I-II and III. Better graphics, better soundchip, no glitches. It's win-win.

Suairyu

Banned
speedpop said:
What you can't grab is Super Mario All-Stars on the VC, which is practically akin to the Reprise versions of Dragon Quest I-II and III. Better graphics, better soundchip, no glitches. It's win-win.
Though I did hear that the 'physics' weren't ported corrected in All-Stars. I have no idea how accurate that claim is.

Chakan

I'd really like a Wind Waker port for the Wii.

But yeah, it's nice that this Mario version is coming to Europe.

Shiggy said:
Does it still include the VC versions?

no, it contains exactly the same games as the SNES cartridge
snes-marioallstars.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tempted depending on price.

Wonder if they adjusted the control screen before you start a game to reflect this is a Wii game, not an SNES game.

WillyFive

richisawesome said:
Why? There's not much on TWW that would benefit from wii controls.

A 3DS port, however....

There's plenty, like SS's motion controls, especially the Baton.

The real reason not to port it to the Wii is because the Wii is already past it's half-way point in life.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem 2 is never going to be released outside of Japan.

And neither is anything else, apparently.

Rich!

Willy105 said:
There's plenty, like SS's motion controls, especially the Baton.

The real reason not to port it to the Wii is because the Wii is already past it's half-way point in life.

I'd still rather have it portable, in 3D. :D

Suairyu said:
Though I did hear that the 'physics' weren't ported corrected in All-Stars. I have no idea how accurate that claim is.

They're identical. However - there is a bug in the SNES versions of 1 and 2 where hitting the blocks from behind is done incorrectly (mario travels up into the block instead of bouncing straight back down) - there's a rom patch to fix it, but it doesn't seem like Nintendo would ever do anything about it for this release.

Suairyu said:

I think the physics are only different in 1 and the original 2. American 2 and 3 are the same.

Willy105 said:
And neither is anything else, apparently.

I was making a lame joke, Fire Emblem 2 is an NES game that never got remade.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm curious about two things here...

1) Whether the SMB brick bash/bounce physics are fixed. (I assume they will be)

2) What this game will be, exactly. I don't think it's necessarily going to be the SNES Super Mario All-Stars ROM, dumped on disk. Nintendo seems to be about the only Japanese developer with their old source code handy... I'm half expecting this to be recompiled to run natively on the Wii.

omg.kittens said:
I don't get what the big deal is... It's Super Mario All Stars WITHOUT Super Mario World.

It's a game we've had for 15+ years... But worse. :lol

Er... isn't it the same as the game we've had? Why is it "worse," exactly?

Osuwari

and this is why Nintendo re-releases the same games a million times but leave the other more obscure games unreleased.

people will 8-dip on these games without any reason (it doesn't even have extra levels or anything lol)

if it was, say, all the mainline games up to world with the extras and upgrades from the GBA versions and retaining their SNES quality (no bad sound), SM64 fully redone and Sunshine ported over with cleaner visuals, maybe even NSMB DS with some trickery to make the second screen fit, it would be worth buying the collection and would be a real celebration of Mario's history though gaming.

back in 1993, all stars did it correctly because the Mario games were only the NES ones and SMW but now there's a lot more mainline games after them that deserve to be in the same collection to make a real mario all stars for the 21st century and not a recycled SNES rom on DVD.
sorry but i'll spend my money on DKCR if i get a game for christmas.

Osuwari said:
and this is why Nintendo re-releases the same games a million times but leave the other more obscure games unreleased.

people will 8-dip on these games without any reason (it doesn't even have extra levels or anything lol)

if it was, say, all the mainline games up to world with the extras and upgrades from the GBA versions and retaining their SNES quality (no bad sound), SM64 fully redone and Sunshine ported over with cleaner visuals, maybe even NSMB DS with some trickery to make the second screen fit, it would be worth buying the collection and would be a real celebration of Mario's history though gaming.

back in 1993, all stars did it correctly because the Mario games were only the NES ones and SMW but now there's a lot more mainline games after them that deserve to be in the same collection to make a real mario all stars for the 21st century and not a recycled SNES rom on DVD.
sorry but i'll spend my money on DKCR if i get a game for christmas.

again: This is the same as the SNES Super Mario Allstars cartridge, just on DVD.
meaning there are 4 remade NES games on this disc, released only once before. Either you get the SNES cart(and a SNES if you don't own one already) or this disc. There is no other way* to play these games.
you want the original NES versions? They are available on VC
you want Super Mario World? it's avialable on VC
you want Super Mario Allstars? get this disc because it's not available on VC.

*pirates be damned

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Waiting for NoA to announce this...

...waiting...

...still waiting...

well just like Disaster Day of Crisis, this wouldn't be the first Nintendo made Wii game to come to Japan and Europe but not America.

<3 NOA

confused

Banned
Is this really the best Nintendo could think of to celebrate 25 years of Mario ? It doesn't even make sense.

What would've made sense is an actual remake of SMB1 in the style of NSMB, but instead they decide to put no effort at all behind it and release a port of an old gamecollection.

DONOTWANT.GIF

confused said:
Is this really the best Nintendo could think of to celebrate 25 years of Mario ? It doesn't even make sense.

What would've made sense is an actual remake of SMB1 in the style of NSMB, but instead they decide to put no effort at all behind it and release a port of an old gamecollection.

DONOTWANT.GIF
That cost money. and this does not :p. And they will still make money so thats easy choice for them.

Jackano

All this Mario birthday thing is just a commercial gimmick and as a fan, it bother me a little.
This is not even the 24th birthday for Super Mario Bros. in Europe.
Mario, and the Famicom, already had 20th anniversary events and goods 5 years ago (starting in 2004 in fact, remember the NES GBASP for example).
Ocarina of Time had nothing for its 10 years in 2008. And Zelda is going to have nothing again in next february for its 25th anniversary.

We are celebrating 10/15/20/25th anniversary for something each year now, it should be good if Nintendo decide to do something different from Mario at least once. 2011 is also Pokémon's 15th and Pikmin's 10th!

Arren

Suairyu said:
The black bars were the result of you viewing a 4:3 image on a 5:4 screen. It's no different than watching a correct aspect ratio film on a 16:9 TV - there are big black bars in those cases, too. Film buffs dislike changing the aspect ratio of a film to make it fill the space of a TV screen, so why is it so different for gamers in PAL regions?

According to what I gathered by personal experience and documentation on the matter, the addition of black borders in PAL versions is just an unpleasant result of not converting properly the original 480i format to 576i, which is simply put comprised of more lines than NTSC.

PAL has these extra lines on the same 4:3 screen space, but as an outcome of lazy conversion in that regard, they weren't used at all, being merely replaced instead with black intrusive borders.

As a direct example, please compare a *native* gameplay on an appropriate system (not through emulation) of Yoshi's Island both on its PAL and NTSC-U counterparts. There's literally a black hole of differences.

The speed may have been reproduced in an almost comparable manner, which is in itself doubtful since later Nintendo titles (like Mario 64 or OoT) are sensibly slowed down in their european editions, but the black borders really stand out and hinder their fidelity.

Had it been a simple drawback of 5:4 to 4:3 conversions, NTSC SNES titles would feature horizontal bars in the same exact way, which by empirical evidence isn't quite the case.

EDIT: BTW, I think you got the proportions inverted. It's the other way around: the native SNES image is 5:4, while the output is conceived to be on 4:3 screens.
Nevertheless, the system was designed from the start to do this ratio change on ALL versions. It doesn't affect the problems we're dealing with.

BikoBiko

I can't help but feel this is kind of a waste of a game disc :lol There'll be what, like 50 megs out of 4.7 gigs used?

54-46!

Awesome, old school Super Mario in HD! can't wait to see the updated sprites for the 2D games and play Super Mario 64 in 1080p with higher polygon count and new effects.

Leaderboards on the internet, comparing high scores and speeedruns with friends! :D

BowieZ

Banned
All-Stars. Music CD. Booklet. Red Remote. As a core gamer, it's well worth a purchase. <<< I feel like I'm stating the obvious.

confused

Banned
BowieZ said:
All-Stars. Music CD. Booklet. Red Remote. As a core gamer, it's well worth a purchase. <<< I feel like I'm stating the obvious.

54-46! said:
Awesome, old school Super Mario in HD! can't wait to see the updated sprites for the 2D games and play Super Mario 64 in 1080p with higher polygon count and new effects.

Leaderboards on the internet, comparing high scores and speeedruns with friends! :D

You two seem to have weird expectations of this package, seen as that is not what has been announced.

Boerseun

Banned
Prime Blue said:
It's basically a Virtual Console release of Super Mario All-Stars in retail game disguise. Makes it easier to rip people off.

There are four great games included, in addition to the special collector's material. Why is it a rip-off?

As iamaustrian said:

iamaustrian said:
again: This is the same as the SNES Super Mario Allstars cartridge, just on DVD.
meaning there are 4 remade NES games on this disc, released only once before. Either you get the SNES cart(and a SNES if you don't own one already) or this disc. There is no other way to play these games.
you want the original NES versions? They are available on VC
you want Super Mario World? it's avialable on VC
you want Super Mario Allstars? get this disc because it's not available on VC.

I don't own a SNES and the Super Mario Allstars cartridge, so I'm definitely getting this Wii release.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sorry about going off topic, but I wasn't particularly impressed by Super Mario Galaxy. I just got bored with the bungie-jumping-in-space aspect and I could never get used to the controls really - I don't see what shaking a controller instead of pushing a button adds to the game experience at all.

I do like the 2D Mario games for the most part, and I enjoyed Super Mario 64 for its simplicity and being basically a more open 3D version 2D games.

What are the chances I'll enjoy Super Mario Galaxy 2?

BowieZ said:
I tell people to start with SMG2 then play SMG if they really wanted more. SMG2:SMG::NSMBW:NSMB

I don't think he will like SMG2 if he didn't like SMG1.

@ Stareye

use your money otherwise. there are are tons of other great platformers for Wii out there which should better fit your gaming mood

KAL2006 said:
Should have been full price with Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine added in too.

Yep, that's what I said when it was announced for Japan. Hell, Super Mario Land 1 and 2 would have been nice too. That way, every single main Super Mario platformer prior to the Wii would have been represented, and there would be three games on there that are currently unrepresented in any way on the Virtual Console. Hell, they could probably charge £50, and I bet people would still snap it up.

I would say I'm undecided about getting this, but I probably will. However, if it's discontinued after a while and increases in value similar to the Metroid Prime Trilogy, then I'd certainly consider parting with it.

perfectchaos007 said:
well just like Disaster Day of Crisis, this wouldn't be the first Nintendo made Wii game to come to Japan and Europe but not America.

<3 NOA

Don't forget Another Code: R. While Disaster is a great game, Another Code is better (one of my favourite Wii games, in fact).

XPE

Allan Holdsworth said:
NoA... ?
Getting ahold of the Japanese version is proving difficult, and not sure on the Euro version because of the whole 50Hz thing.

Wait the eu isnt getting this 50Hz shit again is it ??!?!?!

Arren

XPE said:
Wait the eu isnt getting this 50Hz shit again is it ??!?!?!
It's not sure at all yet, but if one takes into account Nintendo's approach with PAL SNES Virtual Console releases so far, it might become a plausible fear. :(

Arren

confused said:
Why would the PAL version not contain PAL versions of the games ?? Makes sense, no ?
I'd rather have them distribute a version that's visually and technically faithful to the original.

Top Bottom