• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition coming to Europe

smuf

What's the pricepoint for this? I'd feel kind of ripped off paying full price for a disk with an emulator and a bunch of roms.

m.i.s.

Banned
smuf said:
What's the pricepoint for this? I'd feel kind of ripped off paying full price for a disk with an emulator and a bunch of roms.

Japan saw a budget price point - but what that translates to in EU Land...well your guess is as good as mine. :D

smuf said:

...and a soundtrack CD and history booklet.

Anyway, price is likely to be on the low end if the Japanese price is anything to go by. Perhaps somewhere around £20?

Josh7289

Oh man, if this comes out in the US I just found something to (probably) spend my $20 Amazon credit on.

Wiseblade said:
Wait, is it going to be the SNES versions? All Stars SMB3 is hideous.
Heresy!

Argh, I just pre-ordered the Japanese version from Yes Asia the other day (and they will not let you cancel after ordering an item). Thanks a lot Nintendo, now I'm going to be £25 out of pocket and with two copies of the game.

Suairyu

Banned
Arren said:
I wonder if this version is restricted to 50Hz, like the original PAL cartridge and like what happens on most of European VC SNES releases.

If so, they can keep that to themselves, as far as I'm concerned.
Despite being 50Hz, the PAL Mario games ran the same speed as the 60Hz versions due to Nintendo putting effort into the conversion. It shouldn't be noticeable.

Empty

sold. so happy they are bringing it over. the box looks much slicker than expected for the western release.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hey, Nintendo doing a nice thing for us Europeans for once, yey!

That said, Nintendo (UK at least) have been making quite a big thing of 2010 being the 25th birthday of Mario, so this is a nice way to cap it off.

Day 1, I want this so badly, just for the awesome box.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure this will come to the US, they've been pimping the 25th Anniversary stuff on the Nintendo channel and on the main website.

I'm sure it will come to the US as well, but its just nice to have some sort of English confirmation already. :D

I live in a PAL-land but import most of my games for my NTSC console (have 2 Wii's) so either way I'm sorted.

Will buy in an instant, I love Mario so much. :D The other day I got some New Super Mario Bros. Wii figures from eBay, just cause they had some of the Koopa Kids in them. :D Awesomeness.

Caramello

Should include Super Mario World...

I know the original super star collection didn't but I had the version that did and that made the collection 100% better.

WillyFive

If we get this in US instead of Xenoblade or Last Window or Reginlev or Fire Emblem 2 or The Last Story, then I will be kinda mad.

Mairu

Willy105 said:
If we get this in US instead of Xenoblade or Last Window or Reginlev or Fire Emblem 2 or The Last Story, then I will be kinda mad.
I'm sure it takes a lot of work to release Super Mario All Stars over those games. Clearly. There's so much work to be done for Mario All Stars, it makes no sense to release it over brand new games like those you said.

CLEARLY

WillyFive

Mairu said:
I'm sure it takes a lot of work to release Super Mario All Stars over those games. Clearly. There's so much work to be done for Mario All Stars, it makes no sense to release it over brand new games like those you said.

CLEARLY

Clearly, you should know Last Window is already in English in Europe, as well as The Last Story (but to be fair, it's still in development).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Willy105 said:
Clearly, you should know Last Window is already in English in Europe, as well as The Last Story (but to be fair, it's still in development).

Erm, The Last Story is not in any way confirmed for Europe.

Sophia

Kinda disappointed it isn't the All Stars version with Super Mario World...

... I'll still probably buy it tho, I'm a sucker for stuff like this. D: :lol

Arren

Suairyu said:
Despite being 50Hz, the PAL Mario games ran the same speed as the 60Hz versions due to Nintendo putting effort into the conversion. It shouldn't be noticeable.
Unfortunately though, even if the speed was somewhat comparable, I know for a fact that big black borders tarnished the fidelity of the original PAL version.
I have the cartridge and a modded 50/60 SNES to make all the appropriate comparisons.

I just hope they take this chance to distribute a version of the game that supports all formats (576i-50Hz, 480i-60Hz, 480p) and offers a flawless and accurate gameplay, regardless of nostalgic adherence to the regional limits of the time.

If they lazily resort to just placing the PAL 50hz-only rom on the disc, with such flaws entirely intact, I'm honestly not interested.

WillyFive

Stumpokapow said:
Erm, The Last Story is not in any way confirmed for Europe.

No, not talking about an EU release. I'm talking about the game shown in Japan being pretty much half English.

img_6-8.jpg

wrowa said:
Speed. Seek. Unhide. Every word in the screens are in English... hmm.

Willy105 said:
No, not talking about an EU release. I'm talking about the game shown in Japan being pretty much half English.
Many Japanese games use English words for the HUD, even ones that have absolutely no chance of ever being released outside of Japan (eg. Project Diva).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
.... this is DUMB. They should be including World and Mario 64 plus all the NES games on a single disc. Is there really not that much space to include them all? Really?

WillyFive

Adam Prime said:
.... this is DUMB. They should be including World and Mario 64 plus all the NES games on a single disc. Is there really not that much space to include them all? Really?

Space is not the issue. They are just taking advantage of the time to release a cheap celebratory collector's product. Considering the brand new audience that was created with the Wii and DS would not have played the games from the 80's, it would be new to them.

Suairyu

Banned
Arren said:
Unfortunately though, even if the speed was somewhat comparable, I know for a fact that big black borders tarnished the fidelity of the original PAL version.
I have the cartridge and a modded 50/60 SNES to make all the appropriate comparisons.
The black bars were the result of you viewing a 4:3 image on a 5:4 screen. It's no different than watching a correct aspect ratio film on a 16:9 TV - there are big black bars in those cases, too. Film buffs dislike changing the aspect ratio of a film to make it fill the space of a TV screen, so why is it so different for gamers in PAL regions?

Hmm.

Call me when they do Super Mario All-Stars 2, with SMG-graphiced-up versions of Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and the Mario Golf/Tennis games.

Garcia

OMG !! !! I wasn't expecting this ! :D ! ! Made my day :3 !

Edit: BLEH !! So it's the same as the SNES ?.... Dissapointed </3. I'll just buy it for the extras. I thought they remade them !

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I still remember ploughing hours into Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES. 'Twas practically the first time I had ever played the Mario Bros. games seriously at the tender age of 11. For a long while, it was the only game(s) that I had on the console and I got all my dollars worth out of it. Haven't touched All-Stars since and it'll be quite a memorable trip when I go through them again since, for some reason, the NES ports on VC just don't do it for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get what the big deal is... It's Super Mario All Stars WITHOUT Super Mario World.

It's a game we've had for 15+ years... But worse. :lol

Plus, aren't all these games already available for download on the virtual console?

richisawesome said:
...With massive black borders.

they reduced the borders though (at least with SNES Nintendo PAL games)
also it's not easy at all simply removing these borders

edit:
I don't get what the big deal is... It's Super Mario All Stars WITHOUT Super Mario World.

It's a game we've had for 15+ years... But worse.

Plus, aren't all these games already available for download on the virtual console?

it's called fan-service to celebrate Mario's 25th birthday.
(yeah I know, rip-off!1!!)

WillyFive

omg.kittens said:

It's a game we've had for 15+ years... But worse. :lol

Not the All-Stars versions. Just the originals.

Top Bottom