• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

When I pick the game up tomorrow I'm planning on making only normal platforming levels. I really hate the gimmicky levels that just spam random bullshit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The game is only out tomorrow and people are already playing it?

I'm going to guess Europe or Japan right? Or some NA stores that didn't give a shit to respect the release date?

Kouriozan

The game is only out tomorrow and people are already playing it?

I'm going to guess Europe or Japan right? Or some NA stores that didn't give a shit to respect the release date?

France is famous for street date breaking and the game was already out in Japan.

alright, got all the editor tools unlocked

next step: follow some gaffers!

i like the idea, will definitely give it some thought!

Even though I don't have the game yet I followed the SMWCollabs for the longest time and I can definitely help set-up and coordinate everything. Seeing some really creative levels on streams makes me think there's potential even with the limited theme set.

Could even be like a monthly challenge or something - levels on only one theme, with only day X objects, puzzle stages, there's a lot of stuff to do.

Well I've given some Gaffer levels a shot...

I did another level!

Piranha Plant Problem Platforming

128E-0000-0011-FB6A

Tricky but not impossible.
I'm ashamed to admit my first death on this stage was in the most obvious trap, curse you instinct!

I think I spent half of the stage carrying a jump pad, it may have become useful!

First level done! Hope you like wall jumps.

WVW69iXwkwMawGf-sD

Climbing The Walls - C605-0000-0012-0CB8

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACXVHhnQ57Big
A nice simple stage to remind me how much I value the air spin and wall jump of NSMB.
That one mushroom was a bit off the beaten path.

A big thanks to the folks who tried my levels :) Had a chance to try and enjoy Cheesemeister's, will try and play everyone else's later.

I made another:

Airship Approaching Ahead! - F859-0000-0012-1030

Ran off the edge chasing the first mushroom, mad skills.

I think this is going to make for a fun community.

ahdurian

Anyone in Canada who ordered from Amazon get a shipping notice yet?
Status for mine hasn't changed since I preordered during E3

Placiibo

Banned
I hope everyone likes the levels I make. I have a lot ideas I think are great but will have to try out when the game is unlocked.
I've also seen a lot of fantastic levels from the media but I'm sure that a lot of the community levels will be even better.

I have the opposite fear: bad level overload. It seems to me there will be lots of:

A) Random junky levels made by kids. this will be 97% of what gets uploaded.
B) CRAZY levels with items or powerups or enemies everywhere - 2%
C) Crazy hard unforgiving pixel perfect levels - .99%

The number of moderate difficulty levels will be few, and fewer still will be fresh level ideas. There is only so much you can do with these tools. Even in LBP where the tools are amazing there is so much junk that rises to the top. My gaming time is a premium, not to be wasted on browsing level catalogs.

I'm guessing the greatly balanced, tuned levels with a fresh idea will be .001% of the levels. Thats a lot of levels, but Nintendo better have some great search tools.

daydream

Banned
alright, here's the first (simple and short) course i made, i think it turned out alright considering i only used the day 1 tools

course id: 02CB-0000-0012-1890

totowhoa

Banned
I just realized I used an old card to order this on Amazon so I def won't get it tomorrow now. Over / under on my ability to get a physical copy at midnight at Walmart? Should I just go digital instead?

Sinthetic

Apparently, all we get is a red-cased game with a softcover booklet.

No special edition amiibo bundle (outside of the one packaged with a wii u console), no cool yellow box, and no hardcover.

:(

Feels bad mate. I'm genuinely sorry we can't get same editions across UK/US etc...

Still, the game is a real gem so worth owning whether it's digital or physical.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Put five dollars on pre-order, but fuuuuck, I think I might go digital...

You can't pre-download this one, can you? If I can get it right at 12 that's about 3 hours to play around with it tonight.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, you can. I did pre-download it.

Hmm...I sort of wanted another physical Wii U game, but then I realized perhaps this game would be perfect to have digitally and easily accessible between bouts of other games. I'll think it over---damn this is the worst part about the digital age, instant-gratification.

I wonder, does saving the levels take up a lot of space?

daydream

Banned
the showcase all kinds of stats which is awesome/terrifying

Giving daydream's level a star has unlocked the Goomba medal for him, it seems.

i must be blind, how do you star a level without starting it? i played yours but forgot to star, so i had to jump back in cause i didn't see any other way to do it

Robin64

the showcase all kinds of stats which is awesome/terrifying

i must be blind, how do you star a level without starting it? i played yours but forgot to star, so i had to jump back in cause i didn't see any other way to do it

I also had to play yours twice.

cyba89

Still not dispatched. Guess I have to rely on my local electronic stores tomorrow.

Goddammit Amazon. Why you let me down? :(

daydream

Banned
I also had to play yours twice.

hm, well i guess it makes sense that you can only star during/at the end of a level

anyway, you can view your medals by clicking your mii icon in the upper left and going to 'play info'. more medals = more levels you can upload, woo!

Kaban

Won't be able to pick this bad boy up until the 20th. And you lot will have already unlocked the full set by then :(

edit: never mind! saw the patch notes

Kouriozan

alright, here's the first (simple and short) course i made, i think it turned out alright considering i only used the day 1 tools

course id: 02CB-0000-0012-1890

Neat, star-ed and followed :)

Funnily enough, my first borring course is getting more stars than my better made second one :lol

Haines

Banned
First game I've been jealous of everyone playing early in a longggg time.

Tommorow morning cannot come soon enough.

Zekes!

I'm kind of tempted to buy the digital version because this seems like the perfect game to be able to load up with out the disc, but I still need my physical copies, damn

For sheer novelty value I tried my hand at "what if Owl was having to make an introductory World 1 stage that was perfectly straight?"
In doing so I have new respect for opening worlds in platformers that manage to keep things interesting while maintaining simplistic low difficulty because I was racking my brain to just keep things simple.
Safe to say the result was thoroughly unexciting.

Sephzilla

For sheer novelty value I tried my hand at "what if Owl was having to make an introductory World 1 stage that was perfectly straight?"
In doing so I have new respect for opening worlds in platformers that manage to keep things interesting while maintaining simplistic low difficulty because I was racking my brain to just keep things simple.
Safe to say the result was thoroughly unexciting.

I ran into the same issue when I was messing with a Gamestop demo of the game. It's surprisingly hard to make a simple yet entertaining level.

daydream

Banned
my first mystery mushroom unlock is
celeste from ac

Neat, star-ed and followed :)

Funnily enough, my first borring course is getting more stars than my better made second one :lol

thanks! you don't show up on the 'people who played this course' list, yet, though. weird.

do you have a level uploaded that i can check out (+ follow you)? hard to keep track of all the courses @.@ should be easier once i've followed you all

J-Fr

The first level on the star leader board is very hard..
Is it mandatory to give a star before commenting?

Top Bottom