• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Core Zero

RZRiot
Style: Expert
Pro: Great platforming
Con: Enemy placement, balancing difficulty
Magnum Opus: Bowser Jr's Security System
Most at home: Balanced- leaning SMB 3

Progression notes:
You strike me as someone with a great affinity for platformers and as such you excel in that area. Unlike the others I've analyzed, you started out strong and you started to lose your way as you went on. I adored your early levels, but was not fond at all of your two latest stages. You do not want a zero percent clear rate, no matter what difficulty you're aiming for. Man, your early levels that focused on platforming were so solid! They really gave you a sense of momentum due to the top notch platforming layout and and unobtrusive enemy dispersion. I am giving you a very specific criticism: your boo circle hazards do not work. These were a pain in the ass, and next to impossible due to cramping issues. Providing players with challenge is fantastic... but you don't want to confound them. Honestly, most of your stages were more than great --really, truly well done--but those last two soured the batch. I was beyond confused in your Mario 3 Castle/ghost house hybrid. I was backtracking half the time without even realizing it! Mario maker has new tools that allow us to block off paths. You should try them.

You're clearly way more skilled than me. Perhaps some of these shortfalls are strictly due to my own ineptitude. My advice to you is to find a good pace and balance. Maybe try playing your stages like a less skilled player for perspective? What worked for me in this regard was instead of working from the solution you started with (your idea), work TO the solution as that's what players have to do. I think it's pretty sweet that you are experimenting and pushing the envelope, but balancing difficulty going forward should be your top priority(as you predicted it would be.)

Feel free to PM me with your new stages and I'll gladly help playtest them so you can finetune them. I can't represent every player, but I can represent a player with above-average Mario experience.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go through my levels, and I apologize for subjecting you to Under and Over Hill. That really is meant to be a brutal challenge... not at the level of Panga's stages, but still at the deep end of challenge. That said, I have a few ideas of how to edit that stage and a few others from your comments.

As far as the boos, I will readily admit I've spammed them. Mainly because I discovered how deceptively hard they are when making Kamek's Kourse that I got fascinated with ways to use them to create tight timing windows. In that stage in particular I'm going to take one out, because I violated one of my own design rules which is to never make the player do the same thing in the same way twice for the sake of difficulty. It just adds tedium. I may edit the others as well, but either way I'll lay off for a while. :)

If you're willing (and we could do this by PM) I'd like to know what in particular confused you in the Castle/Ghost House stage. The intent is that as long as you're moving to the right, you're making progress, but I didn't want to discourage backtracking to find powerups/secrets. I'll try and make the paths a bit clearer, but I'd really like to know what you found unlikeable about the stage, as I do want that one to not be overly hard. I don't mind some confusion, just because it's based on what I felt was a confusing stage from SMB3, but I want it to be fun.

My plan for my next few levels was to go back to easier, more focused levels as well and try to make some more classically styled stages, so your feedback is incredibly helpful in dialing back the difficulty. I will almost certainly take you up on the offer of future critique, thank you again!

Played through your stages after reading your interesting conversation with B_Bech. I love it. Very creative (I didn't even know that P-switches stop conveyor belts for example and the boo riding had me amazed too), challenging with a very good feel of reward for solving specific routes / tasks (like getting fire flowers which will then help take another special route), just great level design. Yes they are somewhat trial and error at the beginning (especially your spring and castle stage), but once they click it's real fun.

I only had serious problems with the ghost house boss so far since
I can't reach back to the top WITH the shoe to activate the p-switch (at least after I cleared the cannons which provided a jump-off), and when you then go down again to make it past the coins and happen to not have a powerup / the box anymore, you are easily confronted with tons of shoe-goombas blocking your way, addet to the 2 winged ghosts.
Will try again though.

Your stages would definitely profit greatly by a more sophisticated design (well, any, actually) for this game by Nintendo like special coins. It's a shame.

I hope you keep these great stages coming though and for more guys to try them out! They're awesome!

Thanks for playing; I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the stages. (If you're the one who's been posting to Miiverse, too, I'm pleased to see you cleared the castle stage with all power-ups and the best route! I've passed that stage to a few streamers and I hadn't seen anyone pull that off successfully yet.)

As for the problem you had: you should be able to get enough bounce off the other Goombas-in-shoes to get up to the rafters with the shoe on, if you've already disabled the Bullet Bills. You can also bounce off the Boos, but one thing I've discovered in watching a few playtests is that not everyone realizes how good Kuribo's Shoe is. Sure, it wrecked everything back in SMB3 5-3, but that was in a pretty contained environment where the player didn't get to see that it lets you use Thwomps as platforms and even lets you kill off Boos outright.

This is meant to be advanced, though. I wanted the easy way out to involve hopping out of the shoe in mid-air or just getting hit, then climbing up the vine, but I also made sure I put in rewards for players who know how to get out the boss zone with the shoe still on. It's absolutely feasible, just hard (and appropriately optional).

As for Goombas blocking your way, one thing I realized even when playtesting it myself is that regular Mario games rarely test the player's ability to lead enemies around the room and lure them out of position (apart from Boos, obviously). That comes in handy here: if it looks like an exit is totally obstructed, a patient player can move some Goombas into the clear, snipe them off to thin the ranks, then rush back to the switch before too many of them respawn. But it's true that nothing in conventional Mario thinking signals to the player that this is a worthwhile approach.

Neki

Just played:

McNum
BOO'S INVERTED HAUNT
DBF8-0000-0042-2E51

Excellent level. Streamlined execution of a great idea. And a clever choice of level elements that underline the illusion.

Neki
ROSALINA AND THE FLOATING TOWERS
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

I do like the general idea and layout of the floating towers. But the platforming challenges and overall level design seemed too erratic and sometimes arbitrary to me. Despite not being super hard overall, enemy and obstacle placement also felt unfair at times. And there are simply too many different types of enemies and obstacles throughout the course, which makes the level feel a bit unfocused.

I have played this one a while ago but I don't think I ever brought it up here:

Jocchan
DON'T TRUST THE COINS
453F-0000-004C-10A9

Again, this is a simple concept, but executed extremely well. Made me laugh quite a few times, usually whenever I screwed up, realizing how much readjusting my brain truly needed. None of which was the level's fault, which communicates its idea adeptly, without ever resorting to unfair tactics or overt telegraphing.

And I don't think this guy is a gaffer, but I wanted to give a shoutout again to user Gilder/Dimentios' levels. Try these 3:

Aerial Port (F60F-0000-0012-941E)
Heaven's Keep (887A-0000-007F-C5A0)
Golden Fortress (0EE5-0000-0034-5018)

All with a wonderful Nintendo like design. Really, some of the best courses I've played.

edit: AHA! Dimentios is a gaffer after all... cool! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=447991

Thanks for the critique, and I do agree the obstacles do seems a bit mismashed, but I feel the enemy placement was very sparse. Only the first and secomd room has goombas, the third room has some enemies and the very last room has enemies. All the other rooms are just obstacles. The timing on the rooms is very lenient, you can take your time on every room besides the platform room, which the pattern of the obstacles are the exact same every time you play it.

Rosalina and the Floating Towers was just an experiment on testing how well I could mimic verticality by making room size for every section the same, with very little horizitonal scrolling. I think it kinda worked.

Thanks for playing it, you should try my newer Rosalina map though, its easier and I feel it captures the theme I was going for.

Rosalina and the Haunted Factory
E3BD-0000-0089-0FC0

TLiEgYy.jpg

B_Bech

maxresdefault.jpg

Banjo Kazooie: Clanker's Cavern

(2167-0000-0098-9A71)

Grunty here and I've got some news to share.
The bear and bird are back... not that I care.

Clanker's Cavern is a classic location.
But please, this stage is no vacation!

There's 100 notes to collect, Jingos, too.
You can listen to me, as I haw and boo!

There's a poorly told story for you to hear.
Play with miiverse on, and open your ear!

Wait just a minute! That's not Banjo and Kazooie!
I've been had! What a scam! P'tooie!

Now I've got to move my worty butt.
To cease and desist that duck and mutt!

I clearly need to make more levels. :(

Spending so long on my levels has clearly not resulted in more stars!
I've started making quick 1-screen levels in order to fill up the empty slots. Hey, even if each level earns one or two stars total it's something!

Once you have the time to work on more detailed levels you can just delete the quickies.

Double

Thanks for playing; I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the stages. (If you're the one who's been posting to Miiverse, too, I'm pleased to see you cleared the castle stage with all power-ups and the best route! I've passed that stage to a few streamers and I hadn't seen anyone pull that off successfully yet.)

[...]

Could be me if it was Michi on Miiverse yeah, haha.
Yeah I think I noticed Kuribo's ability to kill boos in another level but forgot about it again.
Thanks for the info, will definitely try again soon ;)

tkscz

Adding two more levels. Finding Nimo :)P) in particular I thought was rather fun and intense. Tower of the Warlocks is the spiritual sequel to my other level "The Cake Is A LIE".

Finding Nimo (05F4-0000-0095-6CC0)

The Tower of the Warlocks (448D-0000-0095-5D8C)

Ran into something weird in Tower of the Warlocks. They turned a mushroom into an enemy that the spiny ran into and they turned around. If not for me having a mushroom, I wouldn't have made it. Otherwise, pretty inventive level.

Platy

My biggest tip for Expert 100 Mario : Be a Coward.

took 2 steps, saw that the level designer is against you ? skip.

I've started making quick 1-screen levels in order to fill up the empty slots. Hey, even if each level earns one or two stars total it's something!

Once you have the time to work on more detailed levels you can just delete the quickies.

Yeah, I think due to how the game works, quantity is a big deal.

I'm not trying to disparage anybody else's levels at all (GAF has some amazing levels!), I just mean that it's generally better to have more small simple levels if you're trying to gain stars. And my levels are generally long and fairly complicated.

Ran into something weird in Tower of the Warlocks. They turned a mushroom into an enemy that the spiny ran into and they turned around. If not for me having a mushroom, I wouldn't have made it. Otherwise, pretty inventive level.
Thanks for checking it out! Yeah, I think I'll have to modify this one a little =/ I'll leave it up for a while until I'm able to come up with a version that doesn't break as often.

Naar

Naar, careful what you wish for :D Here's a video of my playthrough for fun & feedback:

https://youtu.be/bcZRMLlMJt0

thanks for playing it!

Like i said it was gonna be tough and i specifically became an asshole at the flag because of all the people who were cheesing Trials 2

but once i see that 10 people beat the first 3 trials, i will make a new one and it wont be sadistic with all the spikes at the end like that :)

jarosh

I'm not trying to disparage anybody else's levels at all (GAF has some amazing levels!), I just mean that it's generally better to have more small simple levels if you're trying to gain stars. And my levels are generally long and fairly complicated.

Pffft, I really don't care. I make the levels I want to make and they each tend to take me days or weeks to finish. I only want courses on my profile I can be proud of.

Sunder just posted a pretty good video about how borked the whole online component is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WHn1-16vSc

Platy

But if you need stars just to have more slots than maybe you should use those slots for ... actual stages that you would use =P

If you are going for stars for fame and fortune whateverworks for you

Yeah, I'm not saying I should make crappy stages guys XD I'm just saying I should make more stage quantity by making shorter, simpler stages. That doesn't have to mean bad.

But if you need stars just to have more slots than maybe you should use those slots for ... actual stages that you would use =P

If you are going for stars for fame and fortune whateverworks for you
Honestly, it depends. I want as many stars as I can get, but fame and fortune doesn't necessarily factor into it.

I have very little time to work on proper levels atm due to work and other things, but in a few months that will not be the case and I will definitely need the room.

Of course, no doubt some of the short levels I'll make won't be that good, but that'll have more to do with my lack of skill than with lack of effort :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Time for feedback on 1-1 levels!

KeRash

Mmmh...I find the idea for the first part neat, but I fear it's too long, too many times in
the houses. I think a level with less houses, a slightly longer "normal" level would've for the best
. The second part is enjoyable enough, I'd say. I have to admit that
the secret at the end was unexpected, well hidden
. In the end, it's enjoyable, but maybe a bit too repetitive (first part) and basic (second part).

Solf

It's neat, well-paced, it doesn't look shabby either, good layout overall...it's very classic, it feels SMB3. In some parts, it feels maybe too much SMB3-ish, but it's not that evident. Neat level.

Ferrio

Good flow, I liked both
the Bonus area and the final secret
, it was well built too. It feels SMB3, but in a good way. Good 1-1.

Xenoboy

Mmmh...your level is very interesting, but I don't know how 1-1 it is, especially considering the
secret path. Ok, it's for more advanced players, but it's way too much stuff for a special underground section, a bit too clumsy. Also, I don't get the area over the giant tube, I fear you forgot to make the pipe as a warp pipe: I see the pipe and the directional tool, but I had to download the level to get there, there's no warp
. I like how you
used the first false pitfalls
, and the ground course is nice to play, but
the arrow indicating where to go to get the top of the pole was too much. People get that, especially if they're on he mushroom's platforms
. The ground section seems a bit too short too, but looks quite nice. Overall, despite the negative, this was pretty interesting and very original, at least. But I don't know, again, if it's as 1-1 as it should be.

Hasney

Good job, quite classic but not derivative. Good flow, it's easy enough for first players, decent special areas.

vikki

A bit too easy IMHO, but not shallow, and it's well made in terms of layout and look.

jholmes

It's a peculiar choice to make a 1-1 into a castle, but I can definitely say that, despite the look, it plays enough like a 1-1: not difficult, but nice flow. I just don't get
the wall near the ? block with the Star, I don't get the reason, sorry.
. It looks good as well.

Axiom

A very interesting level, quite original and with a solid idea behind. I like the aesthetics, I really like what's inside this level, and neat secrets
especially those two hidden blocks leading to the area with the coins saying "BONUS"
. My only nitpick for that is that,
if I were you, it would've lead a bit nearer to the card zone, not right at the beginning. It feels like you punish the player for discovering secrets XD
. Despite that, quite a nice level to look at and to play, very good job.

Robin64

Very 1-1, good to see the
Propeller Suit used
. It plays very well, and it contains enough variations that it doesn't feel like an imitation, but still a 1-1. Good traditional level.

Boy Wander

Very interesting. It stands on its own among possible 1-1s without problems, and it's inventive, with a very good flow. Likable aesthetics and good special areas too. I didn't feel it was too difficult, honestly. Good indeed.

Thud

This was very well made, quite creative, very fun to play...maybe, it's too packed for a 1-1. I mean, there are so many bonus areas it can be a bit puzzling to access to every area. A 1-1 can contain special paths and secrets for more advanced players, but I feel that too many secrets can feel disorienting for a 1-1. But I want to say that, despite that, I really like this level, good job.

black_cavus

The only major (IMHO) con I can find is that
you should give the full 500 seconds time limit, not just 220. It's the first level, it's not time yet to give players the need to run into the level just by looking at the time.
. Other than that, it looks and plays nicely enough; it executes the base idea decently.

Going to continue tomorrow.

jarosh

Trully amazing level and some of the best I played on SMM bar none. I love the fact that it feels unique even in Mario parameters, and the theme is so well excecuted it doesn´t seem to be compromised by SMM being an editing tool of excisting assets. Fantastic work mate!

Everyone has been signing the praises of this level, and I can see why. I was not expecting the last part, as it fits with the level so well while providing a legit challenge. Everyone really should play it.

Loved Jarosh's Queen Koopa level as well :)

Missed some of these... just wanted to say thanks. That's all.

Thanks for the critique, and I do agree the obstacles do seems a bit mismashed, but I feel the enemy placement was very sparse. Only the first and secomd room has goombas, the third room has some enemies and the very last room has enemies. All the other rooms are just obstacles. The timing on the rooms is very lenient, you can take your time on every room besides the platform room, which the pattern of the obstacles are the exact same every time you play it.

Rosalina and the Floating Towers was just an experiment on testing how well I could mimic verticality by making room size for every section the same, with very little horizitonal scrolling. I think it kinda worked.

Thanks for playing it, you should try my newer Rosalina map though, its easier and I feel it captures the theme I was going for.

Rosalina and the Haunted Factory
E3BD-0000-0089-0FC0

Cool, will definitely play the newer level tomorrow!

Yo Timetokill, played one of your Title Fight! iterations and liked it, here's my playthrough video as a form of feedback (my phones battery died in the midst of one round so there's a small interruption somewhere):

https://youtu.be/t0wcI2zVwHQ

EDIT: I thought there was something wrong with the length of the video, but no, I did play this stage for over an hour until I finished it, that's what I call sparring :D

Okay, I watched the whole thing!

WOW! What a battle!

First off, amazing job on that strategy of removing part of the platform you're on. I never would've thought of that.

I think you figured this by the end, but the trick with Bowser is there are actually TWO ways to get him. One is by throwing it under him as he jumps. That's actually the hard way! The other is by waiting until he's all the way on his back foot, as then the shell will bounce over him.

You played the "hard" version in that the mushrooms are disabled in the third round. But by then you had it pretty well figured out and didn't need them anyway! I really should just delete that version though.

Great job and thanks again for putting so much time into it. I really appreciate it!!

Gotdatmoney[/B]
Style: Deliberate
Magnum Opus: Bob-Omb's Forest Assault
Most at home: SMB 3
Pro: Excellent platforming/ enemy placement
Cons: Level layout can get confusing

Progression notes: Your levels both reflect Nintendo's design philosophy and show off your own flair. What you have that many creator's lack is that Nintendoian je ne sais quoi. The levels feel alive, and your foes feel like enemies I need to surmount. Your style is very consistent throughout. You entertain me every time, but there are moments you leave me puzzled in ways I don't feel like you intended. For example, I found myself entering the backend of a one-way secret more often than I should have. You have a good sense for placement, and you know how to furnish a level. No one can argue that. What you lack--and I should note that this detraction was less and less apparent with each stage you made-- is making a level that guides the player naturally. By this I mean that your levels often don't play out in the linear order you seem to plan due to lack of/overabundance of environmental cues. I found myself at a wall without any clues as well as at a crossroad with too much visual stimuli. It became a guessing game and it didn't feel great when I felt like I died to chance. Keep in mind, it is the player's natural desire to explore out all there is to explore and find his or her best option. We all like secrets, but only if they provide payout--otherwise we feel gyped. Uncle Sporky told me once that coins and 1-ups mean nothing. He's right. Unless you assign external value to these things, they mean nothing in this game. Try to make secrets interesting to find... and rewarding. It's cool that you recreated Mario World's guessing game, but mix it up! You have exploration covered in spades, but--and I know it's hard-- I think you need to try to put yourself in the player's shoes more while you design your layouts. Sadly, what the path we intend isn't always as clear to the players as we think it will be. The player will always chase the most attractive thing on screen. That's something I noticed that helped me deal with confused players. All that said, I honestly adore your style, and I am merely saying all this to be as constructive as possible. I gave you a follow, and I'm looking forward to playing your stages in the future.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Very detailed :) I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I will keep this all in mind since I know when I build levels I have a tendency to just try shit until I think it feels good and hope it makes sense. Also the popping out of pipes at the wrong end is criticism I have gotten a lot. Good bonus rooms are so damn hard for me haha. I feel like there is nothing worth a reward. I have been trying powerups lately and have lijed the result more than lives. Still happy that you minimally enjoyed the levels you played. Thanks again.

Robido
Style: Random
Pros: Uh, surprising?
Cons: Complete lack of cohesion
Magnum Opus: Coinstravaganza!!!
Most at home: I'm going to say, a rave

Progression notes:
Don't take this the wrong way, but your levels were not my cup of tea. I never had a clue what was going on. I never knew where to go, what the level was trying to be, and most often... why I died. When I made progress in your levels, I was cheesing it. I felt like I'd get far by cheating, only to get killed by a really haphazardly placed obstacle. I get a very Expert 100 Mario challenge vibe from your stages, no offense, and I wasn't inclined to continue any of them after I died. I think perhaps your devil-may-care design might simply be a bad fit for my palette. If you're looking for advice, I'd say start to play some GAF stages and take a look at the sort of things they are doing. If you want to seriously improve, you have to want to make a real effort to craft stages other people will enjoy. If you're throwing out stuff with no discernible-- at least to me-- direction or purpose there will be no sense of progression or cohesion for the player to follow. Your levels lack structure or theme. The Bowser prison stage looks like it wanted to have a theme but I waited on a long, boring platform ride only to get bombarded by a clusterfuck of cannon fire out of nowhere. There was no way I was playing again after that. I really apologize I don't have anything more constructive and specific to help, but I just couldn't make heads or tails of virtually anything you threw at me. Maybe you can fill me in on what you were trying to achieve?

Thanks for taking the time out to play them. I appreciate it.

edit: I hate Coinstravaganza!!! I just made it because... idk why.

Mael

It's so stupid to get sublevels as the last unlock!

This is the biggest level I've made yet,
I didn't post others I've made because they're a little lame I feel.

WVW69idw3YQWw_Wdvr

901F-0000-0098-E291

I feel like this one shouldn't be too easy to finish and the secrets don't utterly break the level this time.
I couldn't fix the number of lives to earn to 3, I feel bad about it :/
I hit the max number of foes quite a few time.
Tell me how you like it, Gaf!

Lotta gaffers in the top 100 regional for NA. Myles, B Bech and of course Sporky.(I'm sure I'm missing some too. Its super impressive guys. Keep up the good work!!

I'd love to read your take on one of my latest levels: Down to Robotown (5DC3-0000-008A-2A5B).

I'm happy with it for the most part, but a second opinion would be really appreciated :)

I played this level actually a while ago and starred it. Really good. Some of it is pretty darn tough too. But I liked that because of the password system I never had to redo sections in the first part after I figured out the code for that number. The end after the code is long in the tooth though. Having to go down the pipe, grab thr spring just to run across that super tight hole and put the spring down felt like a time waster more than anything. But I liked it. Starred it (like 3-4 days ago).

Heropon

My first autoscroller level:

Mushrooms below, cannons above
ID: 3477-0000-0099-0D48

This level has overworld and airship parts, each one with a different approach. The thing that worries me the most is the difficulty, as I want to know how other people find it: if there are unfair parts, stupid enemy placement, etc. Feedback would be really appreaciated to apply that knowledge to my next levels.

I missed the Athletic theme while making this level, I hope they add more music and themes later.

Thud

Thud

This was very well made, quite creative, very fun to play...maybe, it's too packed for a 1-1. I mean, there are so many bonus areas it can be a bit puzzling to access to every area. A 1-1 can contain special paths and secrets for more advanced players, but I feel that too many secrets can feel disorienting for a 1-1. But I want to say that, despite that, I really like this level, good job.

Thanks for the feedback. I designed this level based around fun. Fun while playing and fun while exploring. I think the open space of 1-1 fits both.

However there is a lot to explore, while players will probably only give the level one playthrough. A bit naive of my to think replayabillity is a factor. The whole mushroom world I made needs to be revised at one point. Especially 1-2, since that one should be a closed area instead of open. And other mistake would be I made 1-1 first and that may have put it off balance. I think I can make it better with the experience I had designing 1-4, which has a more linear approach.

What I do like about the data I got from players, they die where I want them to on the overworld.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
maxresdefault.jpg

Banjo Kazooie: Clanker's Cavern

(2167-0000-0098-9A71)

Grunty here and I've got some news to share.
The bear and bird are back... not that I care.

Clanker's Cavern is a classic location.
But please, this stage is no vacation!

There's 100 notes to collect, Jingos, too.
You can listen to me, as I haw and boo!

There's a poorly told story for you to hear.
Play with miiverse on, and open your ear!

Wait just a minute! That's not Banjo and Kazooie!
I've been had! What a scam! P'tooie!

Now I've got to move my worty butt.
To cease and desist that duck and mutt!

Absolutely stellar, probably my favorite level so far, loved everything about it, especially the "story".

Good bonus rooms are so damn hard for me haha. I feel like there is nothing worth a reward. I have been trying powerups lately and have lijed the result more than lives.

Always keep invincibility stars in mind! :) I have said this a lot, maybe people are getting sick of it. But it's a great brief reward that lets a player feel powerful and excited, and they feel a good kind of stress to take advantage of it before it runs out.

Don't worry too much that it will make your level too easy. You can limit the star's effectiveness by putting some minor obstacles in the way of getting back to the level after picking it up, or you can just let it be easy and shrug it off. Some people will find it and need it, some people will miss it.

If you plan on using it as a secret though, you might just want to do one per level so it doesn't feel too commonplace, or feel like one of those star run levels.

I did a couple more 100 Mario Challenges tonight and tons of levels were still just full of stars given out right at the start, or required in order to get past a spike chamber, etc. They can be used in much better ways. They're a great surprise halfway through a level.

CrisKre

Made a new level!

WVW69idzOXoHAx5KYT

Deep steep forgotten mines!

77D0-0000-0099-8042

Please play it GAF! I would love some input here. Put in a ton of secrets but i want to know if the flow of the level feels right to you guys.

Short video of the start of the level:
https://youtu.be/nMth5szI-CU

Always keep invincibility stars in mind! :) I have said this a lot, maybe people are getting sick of it. But it's a great brief reward that lets a player feel powerful and excited, and they feel a good kind of stress to take advantage of it before it runs out.

Don't worry too much that it will make your level too easy. You can limit the star's effectiveness by putting some minor obstacles in the way of getting back to the level after picking it up, or you can just let it be easy and shrug it off. Some people will find it and need it, some people will miss it.

If you plan on using it as a secret though, you might just want to do one per level so it doesn't feel too commonplace, or feel like one of those star run levels.

I did a couple more 100 Mario Challenges tonight and tons of levels were still just full of stars given out right at the start, or required in order to get past a spike chamber, etc. They can be used in much better ways. They're a great surprise halfway through a level.

I normally do my rewards in bonus rooms but I may just do the star thing. I think in general if the player can actually find the star they deserve to break the level a bit. In general I seem to make my levels fairly easy. My completion rate for all my levels except one sits at 15% or above. This new level I'm making is more of a loose concept anyway so a star may not be a bad thing

javadoze

Made a new level!

WVW69idzOXoHAx5KYT

Deep steep forgotten mines!

77D0-0000-0099-8042

Please play it GAF! I would love some input here. Put in a ton of secrets but i want to know if the flow of the level feels right to you guys.

Really loved the use of the metal platforms and vines to replicate the look of mines alongside the underground theme. The secrets and different paths were pretty well thought-out in general (the beginning with the vine track/Raccoon Leaf and the later small mario entryway to a mushroom were some standouts).

Posting my new level again for more exposure.

WVW69id1T9g5hvEm_r

Spaceship SOS

(E761-0000-0097-4881)

Effect

After unlocking everything I just didn't have a lot of time to play but now that should be changing. Made two test levels but starting my real level making.

Started off simple and easy though. Wanted less enemies and more platforming but not purposefully crazy. Want to go after something that would seem like an actual Mario level.Will keep adding to this and expanding it but this is the pretty much the base at the moment.

Curious as to what others think. Thanks.

A visit underground...Yoshi!?
Course ID: 38A7-0000-009A-0353

Here's also one of the original test courses I made to get my feet wet.

Watch your step
Course ID: 9235-0000-0026-64BE

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Made my first "puzzle"-oriented level :) Hope you guys can really critique it and give it some feedback !

WVW69id1t-Qtrrn_1s

Mario Maker Hub

Puzzle? (Yeah I know the name is REAL original, eh ?)
74E1-0000-0099-FD97

Due to the nature of it being a puzzle level, I do wonder if it can be very obscure and weird. Which is why I'd love for you guys to give it a test run and see how it runs. Much appreciated as usual and I look forward to some feedback ! Hope my puzzle is just the right challenge and nothing too weird. I've accompanied a youtube link of myself completing the stage after a few attempts myself. But why spoil the fun and watch me play it ? Give it a try yourself first and only watch if you're truly stuck in the stage :)

CrisKre

Really loved the use of the metal platforms and vines to replicate the look of mines alongside the underground theme. The secrets and different paths were pretty well thought-out in general (the beginning with the vine track/Raccoon Leaf and the later small mario entryway to a mushroom were some standouts).

Posting my new level again for more exposure.

WVW69id1T9g5hvEm_r

Spaceship SOS

(E761-0000-0097-4881)

Thanks bud!played yours! Really really cool and loved the theme. Very smart. I usually shy away from auto scrollers but yours was fair and engaging.

javadoze

Made my first "puzzle"-oriented level :) Hope you guys can really critique it and give it some feedback !

WVW69id1t-Qtrrn_1s

Mario Maker Hub

Puzzle? (Yeah I know the name is REAL original, eh ?)
74E1-0000-0099-FD97

Due to the nature of it being a puzzle level, I do wonder if it can be very obscure and weird. Which is why I'd love for you guys to give it a test run and see how it runs. Much appreciated as usual and I look forward to some feedback ! Hope my puzzle is just the right challenge and nothing too weird. I've accompanied a youtube link of myself completing the stage after a few attempts myself. But why spoil the fun and watch me play it ? Give it a try yourself first and only watch if you're truly stuck in the stage :)

The only concept that I didn't really quite grasp while tackling this level was probably how you could "lay down" POW blocks. Aside from that, I enjoyed how you're presented with this single puzzle you work your way around, The only thing I'd change is probably having less/no ceiling spikes.

Thanks bud!played yours! Really really cool and loved the theme. Very smart. I usually shy away from auto scrollers but yours was fair and engaging.

Thanks for the feedback.

1-1est (4690-0000-009D-113D)
WVW69id2x04xolFaMB

Piraña Pipe Park (0D63-0000-0098-8684)
WVW69idvfPwBRK59TJ

Flight of the Beetles (099E-0000-0096-507F)
WVW69idlE2MDTeeyBn

Bowser's Underground Hideout (2965-0000-0095-6363)
WVW69idgxWwUlJ__Ca

Koopa Crypts (C369-0000-0094-DC51)
WVW69ideOV0Id62QzH

Mushroom Canyon (F4D3-0000-0093-FFCD)
WVW69idax5g-xYYXXf

Bowser's Armada (44AD-0000-0092-79E1)
WVW69idTB78pQcPfyk

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
The only concept that I didn't really quite grasp while tackling this level was probably how you could "lay down" POW blocks. Aside from that, I enjoyed how you're presented with this single puzzle you work your way around, The only thing I'd change is probably having less/no ceiling spikes.

Hey thank you for the feedback. I think you're quite right about that ceiling spike part. I think when I started out designing the level, I had something in mind with the spike ceiling. Unfortunately I forgot to update it to normal ceiling after the evolution the stage went through to get to where it is today. Glad to hear you guy enjoy it. So other than that, the puzzle is a fair challenge that took some brain power to figure out but nothing too frustratingly crazy ?

I hope to hear more feedback from others to see if there is any more modification I want to make on this stage ! So far, I definitely want to change that ceiling.

Also, I noticed Naar played it. What do you think of this as well ? Feedback would be welcomed :)

Top Bottom