• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Model 500

thanks for playing it!

Like i said it was gonna be tough and i specifically became an asshole at the flag because of all the people who were cheesing Trials 2

but once i see that 10 people beat the first 3 trials, i will make a new one and it wont be sadistic with all the spikes at the end like that :)

Yeah, the end was pretty blah, but I did enjoy the trial, thanks for making :D

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
For timetokill... my fight against Bowser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi61ToCx-_c

Suffice to say, I did terribly as that video is like an hour long. The biggest issue I had was all the crazy bounces the shells have. I died more because of my own shells than anything else. Also, why the spike above the bouncing spring near the end of the platform ? Seems to just be there to kill you if you step on the spring ? There is just a lot of stuff going on in this stage. Bouncing shells from every possible direction, stopping shells from hitting the block behind you so you don't lose your block bridge. Then you have to pray for favourable RNG from Bowser. Several times I try to get closer to Bowser so I can force him to go back but end up hitting myself with the shell instead. I guess all the mechanism is there to make the fight more exciting. Then I die from goombas most likely because I was a frustrated from the fight before, haha. My heart had a hard time handling it haha. Anyways, good stage though.

I played this level actually a while ago and starred it. Really good. Some of it is pretty darn tough too. But I liked that because of the password system I never had to redo sections in the first part after I figured out the code for that number. The end after the code is long in the tooth though. Having to go down the pipe, grab thr spring just to run across that super tight hole and put the spring down felt like a time waster more than anything. But I liked it. Starred it (like 3-4 days ago).

Yeah, the password system (and one shortcut near the end) allowed me to include some difficulty spikes without penalizing too much the player, though I tried not to overdo it. The spring part was because I wanted one last challenge inside the robot, but I had no room left for a proper boss, so I improvised that. Maybe not the best outcome :p

Thank you for playing/starring/comment!

sgjackson

Just got this a few days ago. I've been playing around with levels trying to make something with coherent design and I feel like this is the first level I've made that approaches any sort of consistency. BE35-0000-009B-1A57

I wanted to make a level that turned empty threats into actual threats later on and leveraged how cool it looks to put the floor right above the lava in the castle tileset, so I came up with the idea of a somewhat vertical level where you ride on bone platforms through treacherous areas.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Time for feedback on 1-1 levels!

KeRash

Mmmh...I find the idea for the first part neat, but I fear it's too long, too many times in
the houses. I think a level with less houses, a slightly longer "normal" level would've for the best
. The second part is enjoyable enough, I'd say. I have to admit that
the secret at the end was unexpected, well hidden
. In the end, it's enjoyable, but maybe a bit too repetitive (first part) and basic (second part).

Solf

It's neat, well-paced, it doesn't look shabby either, good layout overall...it's very classic, it feels SMB3. In some parts, it feels maybe too much SMB3-ish, but it's not that evident. Neat level.

Ferrio

Good flow, I liked both
the Bonus area and the final secret
, it was well built too. It feels SMB3, but in a good way. Good 1-1.

Xenoboy

Mmmh...your level is very interesting, but I don't know how 1-1 it is, especially considering the
secret path. Ok, it's for more advanced players, but it's way too much stuff for a special underground section, a bit too clumsy. Also, I don't get the area over the giant tube, I fear you forgot to make the pipe as a warp pipe: I see the pipe and the directional tool, but I had to download the level to get there, there's no warp
. I like how you
used the first false pitfalls
, and the ground course is nice to play, but
the arrow indicating where to go to get the top of the pole was too much. People get that, especially if they're on he mushroom's platforms
. The ground section seems a bit too short too, but looks quite nice. Overall, despite the negative, this was pretty interesting and very original, at least. But I don't know, again, if it's as 1-1 as it should be.

Hasney

Good job, quite classic but not derivative. Good flow, it's easy enough for first players, decent special areas.

vikki

A bit too easy IMHO, but not shallow, and it's well made in terms of layout and look.

jholmes

It's a peculiar choice to make a 1-1 into a castle, but I can definitely say that, despite the look, it plays enough like a 1-1: not difficult, but nice flow. I just don't get
the wall near the ? block with the Star, I don't get the reason, sorry.
. It looks good as well.

Axiom

A very interesting level, quite original and with a solid idea behind. I like the aesthetics, I really like what's inside this level, and neat secrets
especially those two hidden blocks leading to the area with the coins saying "BONUS"
. My only nitpick for that is that,
if I were you, it would've lead a bit nearer to the card zone, not right at the beginning. It feels like you punish the player for discovering secrets XD
. Despite that, quite a nice level to look at and to play, very good job.

Robin64

Very 1-1, good to see the
Propeller Suit used
. It plays very well, and it contains enough variations that it doesn't feel like an imitation, but still a 1-1. Good traditional level.

Boy Wander

Very interesting. It stands on its own among possible 1-1s without problems, and it's inventive, with a very good flow. Likable aesthetics and good special areas too. I didn't feel it was too difficult, honestly. Good indeed.

Thud

This was very well made, quite creative, very fun to play...maybe, it's too packed for a 1-1. I mean, there are so many bonus areas it can be a bit puzzling to access to every area. A 1-1 can contain special paths and secrets for more advanced players, but I feel that too many secrets can feel disorienting for a 1-1. But I want to say that, despite that, I really like this level, good job.

black_cavus

The only major (IMHO) con I can find is that
you should give the full 500 seconds time limit, not just 220. It's the first level, it's not time yet to give players the need to run into the level just by looking at the time.
. Other than that, it looks and plays nicely enough; it executes the base idea decently.

Going to continue tomorrow.

Here's the continuation

Platy

Ok, that was very funny XD I fear it's not the 1-1 we need. But...but...but...yeah, I can't stop it: it's the 1-1 we deserve

RZRiot

A bit too many special sounds effect, making some parts of the level more obneoxonius than funny to hear;
the disco theme in the underground bonus area was funny though
, but it was neatly designed and paced. It didn't feel too difficult, but it wasn't boring. Good level.

Santangelo

Nice! Good job at realising what you attempted, I liked how you did it and how the whole level flew. Also, good secondary speed run challenge
(btw, I made it! :p
. The
bonus area right at the end/SPOILER] was a nice small surprise.

BooJoh

A good job at recreating a 1-1 that feels right from SMB3 without being derivative. Nice secrets too
but oh man, the last 1 Up really needed a bit of luck too to be found XD If I were you, I would've used coins above the hidden blocks to entice the player to try to go there
. Overall, I liked it.

SuperJay

Playing your level feels good, I like your overall layout, especially
the higher courses
. And the
special autoscrolling bonus area
was great. Different, but still 1-1. Very nice.

dead_lighter

...what was that? Seriously, it's too empty, aside from the beginning it's nothing. Just a straight line. I'm sorry to say this, but your level was bad.

Ok, that's it. Feedbacks on both GAF and Miiverse, as always. If you want to check out (and give feedbacks to) my other levels, here's my personal MarioMakerHub.com's page

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/MarcoP90

Eagerly awaiting for your impressions.

I made some levels, I should probably try to get people to play them! Here are the codes

Yoshi is my friend : 7F17-0000-009B-8537
A level where you use your friend

Super Rosalina Sises : E7C7-0000-0056-B2D2
Rosalina takes on Bowser's castle

How's your flying? : 7606-0000-009B-5510
Small level, testing control of the flying cape

Falling Platforms, Run : 56D8-0000-0056-E55F
It's in the title, platforms fall so don't stick around too long

Careful now : 567D-0000-0050-2CBA
First level I made

J-Fr

Flight of the Beetles (099E-0000-0096-507F)

Bowser's Underground Hideout (2965-0000-0095-6363)

Koopa Crypts (C369-0000-0094-DC51)

Mushroom Canyon (F4D3-0000-0093-FFCD)

Played these four levels, they all felt a bit easy.
But the level design was good. I didn't lost my way and there was always a power-up to deal with the situation. Especially nice with Koopa Crypts, where you can easily dispatch the Drybones.

(On Mushroom Canyon there's a sawblade you can't avoid without Yoshi?)

Just got this a few days ago. I've been playing around with levels trying to make something with coherent design and I feel like this is the first level I've made that approaches any sort of consistency. BE35-0000-009B-1A57

Thwomps + Moving skulls was a neat idea, but the level felt extremely punishing!
You should put coins to lead the way.
The first Paratroopa lead to an unavoidable death because you can't see the ceiling spikes, on the next attempts I preferred to wait and jump OVER it.
Same with the upward platform, you have to run to avoid the Thwomps + Firebars + Bowser's Flames just to see the platform passing over your head. I had to slow down to wait for the platform.
The Thwomps on the last stretch are off-screen, made me quit..

Here the first level of my new series loosely based on Touhou 6:
Super TOHO World 6-1
ID: 433F-0000-008E-22BD
Difficulty: Medium

The first part is a quick plat-forming session and then a boss.
I tried to stick with the dusk/fire theme and contently moving parts.

WVW69id8OaAHcV-HZ5

And my mariomakerhub page.

Just finished a new level. I would love some plays and feedback (PM please). And drop me a code and I will play your levels right back! Thanks. I'm still back on page 214 of this thread working through levels...one day I'll catch up to the end.

A Dreary Night: Raiding the Tomb A246-0000-009A-6230

Caution: Be careful at the beginning as rain can be deadly!

WVW69id3NV43ru7KKD

Previous Courses:
Chompin’ at the Bits 3DD4-0000-003D-783B
Grand Ghost Galleon 0303-0000-0061-321E
Escaping the Martian Menace 5C98-0000-0068-C846
Keep of Sacrifice 9274-0000-0079-F788
Ancient Undersea Castles 7F47-0000-007F-B1CB
The Mushroom Kingdom 0029-0000-0088-D72A

Naar

hey guys i will be streaming your levels about 4 hours from the time of this post at http://www.twitch.tv/naar82

quote the page for the submission form

i dont mind people submitting 2 levels, but at least submit it later (like 30 min after your first submission) to give others a chance to sign up!

also i would appreciate it if people tried to finish The Mario Trials 3

FDBB-0000-008F-B56E

I know the ending is a bit brutal, but like i said before a lot of people were cheesing the levels so i made sure to counter that :p

but if it gets 10 clears, i promise the next trial wont end the way this one did :)

Also, I noticed Naar played it. What do you think of this as well ? Feedback would be welcomed :)

i left my feedback on miiverse :p

it was really a very clever and awesome level. but i saw the video you put and i actually played it a bit differently than you.

I also recommend you take down the video and let people discover how to finish by themselves

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
hey guys i will be streaming your levels about 4 hours from the time of this post at http://www.twitch.tv/naar82

quote the page for the submission form

i dont mind people submitting 2 levels, but at least submit it later (like 30 min after your first submission) to give others a chance to sign up!

FDBB-0000-008F-B56E

I know the ending is a bit brutal, but like i said before a lot of people were cheesing the levels so i made sure to counter that :p

but if it gets 10 clears, i promise the next trial wont end the way this one did :)

i left my feedback on miiverse :p

it was really a very clever and awesome level. but i saw the video you put and i actually played it a bit differently than you.

I also recommend you take down the video and let people discover how to finish by themselves

Just submitted :D

Bydobob

After unlocking everything I just didn't have a lot of time to play but now that should be changing. Made two test levels but starting my real level making.

Started off simple and easy though. Wanted less enemies and more platforming but not purposefully crazy. Want to go after something that would seem like an actual Mario level.Will keep adding to this and expanding it but this is the pretty much the base at the moment.

Curious as to what others think. Thanks.

A visit underground...Yoshi!?
Course ID: 38A7-0000-009A-0353

Nothing wrong with this level other than it felt a bit empty. Can see what you were aiming for but my feeling is even Nintendo beginner levels have more platforming to keep you occupied. Your aim at restraint is refreshing though and this is solid foundation to build from.

Made my first "puzzle"-oriented level :) Hope you guys can really critique it and give it some feedback !

WVW69id1t-Qtrrn_1s

Mario Maker Hub

Puzzle? (Yeah I know the name is REAL original, eh ?)
74E1-0000-0099-FD97

Due to the nature of it being a puzzle level, I do wonder if it can be very obscure and weird. Which is why I'd love for you guys to give it a test run and see how it runs. Much appreciated as usual and I look forward to some feedback ! Hope my puzzle is just the right challenge and nothing too weird. I've accompanied a youtube link of myself completing the stage after a few attempts myself. But why spoil the fun and watch me play it ? Give it a try yourself first and only watch if you're truly stuck in the stage :)

What to say about this one other than despite the best brains of our household working together we completely overlooked
placing the POW over the flame!
I became obsessed with the
Thwomps at the top and tried 101 different ways to get past them, using a combination of POW blocks, spin jumps, sprinting and luring them out
. I was convinced each time I had figured it out and couldn't see the wood for the trees. Anyway, ended up watching the video
up to the flame part
as I was beginning to annoy the wife with my stubbornness and time was short. Needless to say, great level!

Double

FDBB-0000-008F-B56E

Just finished 3 (
after I saw in you know whose video that one spin mid air at the end would do it instead of multiple and then miraculously trying to steer onto the pole :p
) and 4 (this time my technique worked better :D)

Gave you half a star for each basically. Or rather, for humanity.

I've been feeling uninspired lately and haven't been able to come up with an idea I actually like, but I finally got one and finished another course.

tobnDdg.jpg

Madame Goomba's House of Vice
4D6A-0000-009C-4C94

If you want to check out (and give feedbacks to) my other levels, here's my personal MarioMakerHub.com's page

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/MarcoP90

Eagerly awaiting for your impressions.

I played yout 1-1 and 1-2. Good introduction levels. My major issue is that because you had so many secrets I had trouble keeping focused on the main path. I think you need to have your secrets be more of a hidden reward than everywhere in the level. Otherwise they stop feeling like extras amd start feeling more necessary. I'd keep that in mind for future levels. That is my only real criticism though. Well done. I starred both.

I'm only two stars away from my fourth medal! :)

Post a level. I wouldn't mind helping you get there.

Mcdohl

Posting my new level again for more exposure.

WVW69id1T9g5hvEm_r

Spaceship SOS

(E761-0000-0097-4881)

Man, I loved it. The alarm sounds were a really nice touch.

You really accomplished the whole space theme, very nicely decorated world :)

The only con imo, sup with the erotic noises on the squids? Is it a reference i'm missing? Lol.

I made it into the CHEATER area but I did not cheat. It all happened too fast. Was I not supposed to make it there?

"Heeeere's MONTY!...mole"

Race to get to the end of the stage before Monty Mole catches up to you!

ID = F8CA - 0000 - 009A - 2211

WVW69id2V8ooXFBf0v

WVW69id2WtAV8AR1qm

WVW69id2VWQfHnuNiF

Very fun level. When I saw the screenshots I thought it would be one of those insanely hard levels. Turns out I was wrong :)

Loved the increasing difficulty on each segment. It also made me laugh!

Btw...nice trolling with the fire flowers at the start.

Flight of the Beetles (099E-0000-0096-507F)
WVW69idlE2MDTeeyBn

This one felt like an actual SMW level! (sans the end). It was a bit too short though, and difficulty was flat (not a lot of challenge).

I made a course that has a bit of a factory theme in it too, but it's made for beginners.

Mario's Office Job. Jr.
6d9d 0000 0085 394e

vngb4jhg.plr.jpg

Loved the idea and the buildings' designs. Very clever. Great level for beginners as you said, but it's also fun for pros due to the nice designs :)

NeonZ

I've just finished a 100 Mario run with a Ganondorf mystery costume in the last stage!
Disappointingly, though, he just got the same generic dialogue that most Mystery costumes get... I hoped there'd be some different reaction, like when finishing with Bowser, considering how he's a villain...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a silly level I threw together a bit ago, largely to troll the people complaining about a lot of levels I've liked being too hard.

Press B to Win!

WVW69id_38QGIYkUzZ

ID: D555-0000-009C-9869

sgjackson

Thwomps + Moving skulls was a neat idea, but the level felt extremely punishing!
You should put coins to lead the way.
The first Paratroopa lead to an unavoidable death because you can't see the ceiling spikes, on the next attempts I preferred to wait and jump OVER it.
Same with the upward platform, you have to run to avoid the Thwomps + Firebars + Bowser's Flames just to see the platform passing over your head. I had to slow down to wait for the platform.
The Thwomps on the last stretch are off-screen, made me quit.

In general I think the level ended up harder than I intended but I was okay with making something hard when I got down to it. The Paratroopa and the elevator up to the second bone platform are definitely awkward - I really wish the spikes were one screen higher or I could control the camera more effectively so the player could see them when they go to the middle row, and the Bowser fire ended up being an unintended "feature" and I'm wondering if I could push him out futher to make the fire go away.

You did raise some points I noticed when I playtested myself that make me wonder about some general questions, though - is it bad to interrupt flow and require players to not move? Is conditioning someone to think bone platforms=thwomps not enough to make them expect them at the end, even if they can't see them? Is there a way to make someone expect those thwomps without being explicitly seen (maybe do something like put two coins under every thwomp that you get when you jump over them, then have the coins in the last area?)

I love that this game requires thinking like this. This game is so great.

cyba89

the usual heads-up: only 16h left to vote!

Okay. Time to play the second half of the last group now.

Post a level. I wouldn't mind helping you get there.

Already got it, but still thanks.
If you (or anyone else) want to try one of mine, I recommend my latest. Have not gotten a lot of feedback for that yet.

I made a sequel to my most successful Mario Maker stage (currently over 80 stars).

Big Brain Academy Bros. -2nd Grade-
166C-0000-0095-CDA4
WVW69idicaYsJrzGNF

You've passed the first grade but are you ready for another test? The puzzles are getting harder...

Let me know what you think about this. I will play the final group of contest levels later today.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been rather absent recently, and since this is in the middle of a contest I must apologise for that. I've played through all of group 4 now and cast my vote.

Now for my latest level, Skiddy Ridge - F9E7 0000 009C 3AED

This level was made in a rather backwards manner. Basically, after my first attempt at a music level I wanted to look at an alternative way of incorporating the music creation side into a level while avoiding it being an autoplay level. One solution I thought was to incorporate it in a bonus room. So yes, this level started life as just the bonus room and then I made the rest of the level to go with it a bit higgledy-piggledy.

I hadn't really used the SMB3 theme much and one particular element, the ice block, so I thought I'd use those. The underground theme I thought worked well with this as the background has a bit of a snow storm feel to it and the colour of the ground matches the ice blocks well (even though I ended up not using much ground in the end).

I decided to just use two enemies in this, red koopas and fire piranha plants. As we all know, the timing of the plants coming out of the pipes in a bit odd in Maker and since they were a primary enemy in this level I didn't want people to skim through the level and easily skip them, thus I made it an auto scrolling level.

I actually made this some weeks ago but I didn't feel happy with it. Came back to it today and made some tweaks, removing some elements that I put in for experimentation sake, replacing them with elements that appear throughout the level to give some cohesion to it. Also toned back the difficulty a bit, but not too much to strip it of any challenge.

Back to the bonus level. This is a semi tribute to All-Stars, featuring a bit of a forgotten Mario tune. I actually chose to keep the two enemies from the main level as my two instruments.

So yes, this is an autoscrolling level with ice. Have fun. It's though, but ice levels were always towards the harder end of Mario games weren't they. Also I hope you feel the bonus room was a successful way to add custom music to a level.

daydream

Banned
we're at a curious impasse atm - with just short of thirteen hours left to vote, there's seven people tied for first

every new ballot will make a huge difference here so get to it, people

correojon

Very nice! It's the kind of levels with quite technical jumps but it's not punishing when you screw up, and if you screw up it's your fault, nothing is unpredictable and you can retry as much as you want without too much penality. And short enough not to be a chore to reach the point where you died.
The finish reminded me of something ;)
Thanks for the review! I spent a lot of time balancing the penalty and the challenge, glad it seems to have turned out OK :)

I don't recall this part. Can you give me some more detail if you remember?

There was a fire flower at the section with the stairs-esque section before the second hammer bro.

Common criticisms seem to be that hammer bros were a poor choice for a 1-1 level and I tend to agree now. Live and learn! Will have to give a run through of the winners of each section when group 4 finishes up.
I replayed it to give you more detail: it´s a Spiny that´s guarding a hidden flower, you have to take the shell of a green Koopa and throw it in there. This I discovered the second time, the first it totally escaped me as the Koopa is not on the close enough and only in one of two available routes.For a 1-1 the Koopa should be closer to the Spiny, so both are visible at the same time and you don´t have to carry the shell through some jumps. Otherwise players won´t make the connection and the Spiny will feel totally out place, like it happened to me the first time I played the course.

Awesome level, really can't think of anything to criticise, well done! Also lol@the zoo, that one caught me off guard as I didn't read your whole description. I already named my Spiny <:)
Thanks for the comments! Glad you liked the zoo, you seem to be the only one who´s found it.

I played your Spiky Rollercastle level (96A8-0000-0082-8392) but couldn´t finish it, though I once died right next to the goal. I liked the course, you used the shell riding mechanic in cool and interesting ways, so I starred it ;)

I also played a lot of levels from Schlomo. Overall I found all levels were very nice, specially Mariowood (9571-0000-008F-EE78) and Treasure of the 99 Dead Pirates (7274-0000-0042-C6D7). This guy makes twisted layouts where it´s easy to loose track of where you are or where you are supposed to go next, then throws in some spatial puzzles to mess you even more...I loved it! The leves are fair and well designed, I really enjoyed running around trying different routes. Oh a special mention also for Out with the New (0C79-0000-007F-B4AD, I loved the twist halfway through) and Jim Morrison´s Nightmare (B803-0000-0061-CEFF, I´m a fan of The Doors, so the pun made me chuckle and solving the puzzle was fun, I didn´t care dying many times as you really don´t loose any progress). Followed, hope to see more mazy courses from you!

sgjackson

tried making a course where platforms rotate around octagonal tracks but it seems like they have a mind of their own when they spawn and don't rotate in a continuous, predictable manner. sort of wondering if there's an easy fix for this but i'll shelve it for now - what i was working on was basically a worse version of donut plains 3 anyway.

Naar

thanks for watching the stream guys!

glad to know you had fun at my expense :p

and i think i am confident in saying that my streaming issues are from my laptop and nothing else.

good thing is i was planning on getting a new laptop for work in a couple of months, but i may get one sooner now :)

thanks again!!

cloudyy

WVW69idg130A3e21DJ

z0m's Mission Impuzzible v2.2
8301-0000-0095-68DE

Not mine but, it sure took me a whole day to find out how to beat it...
I need more of those small puzzle-ly courses!

I have a few levels I'm quite proud of, but I just made my first "recreation" level. I just made a level based on Banjo-Kazooie that recreates Spiral Mountain, Grunty's Lair, and Mumbo's Mountain. Please let me know what you think!

A99C-0000-009D-30AF

If you want to check out any of my other levels while you're there, that would be great too! My most popular level is called "Ups and Downs"; it has 41 likes out of 119 plays, which I'm pretty pleased with.

B_Bech

Really wish this game had an autosave feature. Pretty archaic that it doesn't. Just lost 3 hours worth of work due to a random power outage. Should I recreate what I lost when it gets turned back on or just abandon it? I put so much detail in...

I've been away from the Wii U for a week, but I'm back. I've got about 20 pages of levels to play.

Anyway, I just finished this yesterday. It's a bit harder than the original level. I also tried to get better with the level's art and theme direction as well. I'm pretty happy with it, but if you've got feedback, let me know here or on the Miiverse.

Choose Your Own Adventure 2 - FE51-0000-009B-5790

WVW69ieCXGsYpRHv-q

Really wish this game had an autosave feature. Pretty archaic that it doesn't. Just lost 3 hours worth of work due to a random power outage. Should I recreate what I lost when it gets turned back on or just abandon it? I put so much detail in...
If you were happy with how it was turning out, I'd say recreate it.

correojon

tried making a course where platforms rotate around octagonal tracks but it seems like they have a mind of their own when they spawn and don't rotate in a continuous, predictable manner. sort of wondering if there's an easy fix for this but i'll shelve it for now - what i was working on was basically a worse version of donut plains 3 anyway.
Put a door or pipe next to the platforms and make the player enter the area through that, that way all moving platforms will sync. You can download my level with code 9823-0000-0081-7E04 and see how before every challenge there is a door or pipe to sync all Grinders on tracks (platforms work the same way). Delete the doors and replay from the beginning and you'll see that grinders in that zone start acting funny.

Simbabbad

I just started a new series (I'll finish the ones I already started later): Topsy-turvy Waluigi. I worked little bit by little bit on this one for three weeks.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BSuper%2BWario%2BMirror%2BLand.png

Topsy-turvy Waluigi (Plains)

The idea of Topsy-turvy Waluigi is that when you go through a door, you actually go behind the level, a bit like Schlomo's excellent MARIOWOOD (9571-0000-008F-EE78). Areas in the open air are therefore strictly symmetrical, but ground areas and areas with backdrops differ. Of course, between the moment I had the idea and when I published the level, tons of levels already used "alternate worlds" mechanics (dry/flooded, top/down, bright/spooky, etc.), but all the ones I've played do so with very linear level design (some are still excellent, mind you, it's not an issue in itself). Here, I wanted a blend of action, platforming, exploration and puzzles with a heavy focus on the last two, where you have to figure out how the level is structured to eventually get to the ending pole - the idea was to be sort of a Wario Land level (I actually would have used Wario's costume instead of Waluigi if it were his classic outfit and not his Wario Ware one).

The level isn't particularly hard, each aspect of it is rather easy, but the whole combined can be challenging - since the main mechanics is complicated, I wanted each separate aspect to be accessible. In particular, the level has been designed so the run button is optional, which IMO greatly improved its fluidity and pacing.

Two screenshots to better illustrate the concept:

You can check my other levels in:

- My (French) blog
- SUPER MARIO MAKER BOOKMARK

Bydobob

thanks for watching the stream guys!

glad to know you had fun at my expense :p

and i think i am confident in saying that my streaming issues are from my laptop and nothing else.

good thing is i was planning on getting a new laptop for work in a couple of months, but i may get one sooner now :)

thanks again!!

Streaming and connectivity issues (from my end) aside, it was a fun stream. I didn't enjoy seeing you struggle on my level though. I thought with your trials levels you'd enjoy the acrobatics. How did you manage to die at the end anyway? It should be just a shooting gallery with Yoshi.

CrisKre

Posting again for new page:

My new level!

WVW69idzOXoHAx5KYT

Deep steep forgotten mines!

77D0-0000-0099-8042

Please play it GAF! I would love some input here. Put in a ton of secrets but i want to know if the flow of the level feels right to you guys.

Short video of the start of the level:
https://youtu.be/nMth5szI-CU

Naar

Streaming and connectivity issues (from my end) aside, it was a fun stream. I didn't enjoy seeing you struggle on my level though. I thought with your trials levels you'd enjoy the acrobatics. How did you manage to die at the end anyway? It should be just a shooting gallery with Yoshi.

well if you notice the mario trials are very short. your level is very precision based and long.

it is a good idea to at least space things out and let the player have breathing space after some obstacles

If your plan is to have a hard level, then disregard what i just said. but you did keep saying how this is the easy version and how easily it can be beaten

and yes i do enjoy these kinda mechanics :) and the trials levels are very short. the longest is i think 1 min long, with the others being between 10-30 seconds long

but i really liked the wall jump into a cannon ball mechanic. i never saw that before :)

and i dont remember what happened in the end, but i lost yoshi before i got to the hammer bros and died

Kebiinu

Banned
I just started a new series (I'll finish the ones I already started later): Topsy-turvy Waluigi. I worked little bit by little bit on this one for three weeks.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BTopsy-turvy%2BWaluigi%2B%2528Plains%2529.gif

Topsy-turvy Waluigi (Plains) - A324-0000-009D-13BC

The idea of Topsy-turvy Waluigi is that when you go through a door, you actually go behind the level, a bit like Schlomo's excellent MARIOWOOD (9571-0000-008F-EE78). Areas in the open air are therefore strictly symmetrical, but ground areas and areas with backdrops differ. Of course, between the moment I had the idea and when I published the level, tons of levels already used "alternate worlds" mechanics (dry/flooded, top/down, bright/spooky, etc.), but all the ones I've played do so with very linear level design (some are still excellent, mind you, it's not an issue in itself). Here, I wanted a blend of action, platforming, exploration and puzzles with a heavy focus on the last two, where you have to figure out how the level is structured to eventually get to the ending pole - the idea was to be sort of a Wario Land level (I actually would have used Wario's costume instead of Waluigi if it were his classic outfit and not his Wario Ware one).

The level isn't particularly hard, each aspect of it is rather easy, but the whole combined can be challenging - since the main mechanics is complicated, I wanted each separate aspect to be accessible. In particular, the level has been designed so the run button is optional, which IMO greatly improved its fluidity and pacing.

Two screenshots to better illustrate the concept:

My previously finished series, "y cant metroid shoot?", with actual Metroid gameplay:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BWorld%2B%2528monde%2529%2By%2Bcant%2Bmetroid%2Bshoot.png

You can check my other levels in:

- My (French) blog
- Nintendo Life
- MarioMakerHub

Hey! I randomly played your stages today after seeing you comment on a few of mine. Your stages are excellent!

I intend to play through all of your metroid stages, your Waluigi one was great too!

Keep up the great work. :)

Core Zero

A Well-Lit Cave - 28C8-0000-008A-2ACC

Would love some feedback on this level, no one has completed it as of yet (0/58 currently) but it should be manageable :)

Tried to slow down the gameplay so that each area is not turned into a full-on running blitz. Also played with the idea of different pathways and multiple uses for items.

Thank you for checking it out!

I'm always up for a challenge, but I have to echo previous comments, this is quite hard, and leads to frustration a bit too easily, if you expect people to power through.

-As others have said, the Kamek at the beginning really doesn't add anything to the gameplay here, and you can get stuck in a situation where you just get hit with little to do. It's plenty hard enough without it I think. That said I do like the platforming segment through here

-An arrow that points me down onto spikes? This is the sort of stuff that makes me quit levels. Don't do this, please. There needs to be a better way to show what the player needs to do.

-Perhaps this is just how it worked out for me, but it looks like you need the cannonballs to get onto the last moving platform, and it's possible to move far enough ahead to cause them to stop shooting. Not as bad as the above but still a bit annoying.

-The Thwomp staircase with chainchomps is what got me to stop. I'm sure there's a fair solution, but having every attempt at finding my way through end in failure and a restart means I'm out, especially because you just forcibly took my powerup (again).

In the end, there's just too many moments where I feel like the level decides to kill me, and there's nothing I could have done, means I just don't have the resolve to push through. I think if you dropped the Kamek and made the level a bit shorter, it would be worth trying though. I'd love to see more challenging levels from you, just try to find the line between challenge and frustration.

Bydobob

well if you notice the mario trials are very short. your level is very precision based and long.

it is a good idea to at least space things out and let the player have breathing space after some obstacles

If your plan is to have a hard level, then disregard what i just said. but you did keep saying how this is the easy version and how easily it can be beaten

and yes i do enjoy these kinda mechanics :) and the trials levels are very short. the longest is i think 1 min long, with the others being between 10-30 seconds long

but i really liked the wall jump into a cannon ball mechanic. i never saw that before :)

and i dont remember what happened in the end, but i lost yoshi before i got to the hammer bros and died

I said I found the spring bit easy and previous versions were harder, but if you found it tough then it must be tough! I really did engineer the crap out of the precision element though, there's a fair amount of margin for error.

These streams really do show the difference in players though. I struggle with puzzle based levels but seem to click with run 'n' jump levels. I find many levels too short, others find my levels too long. As long as we all become better Mario Makers through the feedback though it's all positive!

Top Bottom