• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hermit

This game is going to rule my weekends. Goodbye, social life

Can't ruin social life if you have none.

giphy.gif

KrawlMan

Really looking forward to more reviews - particularly the less glowing ones. I could also see criticism coming from the game trying to be a jack-of-all-trades in it's gameplay, but falling short in execution some places.

Neff

It's arguably the open world that play the best out of all of them, zelda included.

Oh, I could certainly put an argument up against that.

I could name a dozen open world games -both Western and Japanese, including Breath of the Wild- that I enjoyed significantly more than the 6-8 hours I spent with Horizon. Whatever outstanding qualities the game has, I didn't see them, or wasn't engaged long enough to discover them.

rudger

Or even better: Jim Sterling gives it a 7 or 8. And the shitstorm that will ensue will be freaking glorious to watch.

Maybe he decided to no longer do reviews because he was going to rate it a 7, but decided he valued his life more than his principle of rating a game how he truly feels

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

**UPDATE**
Games that should have gotten a 10 or were "retrospectively adjusted" to a 10 according to EDGE themselves:

Elite (1984)
Exile (1988)
Super Mario Bros. (1985)
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Advance Wars (2001)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Drop7 (2009)
Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Super Street Fighter IV (2010)
Dark Souls (2011)

Updated the list, it's somehow even better.

Lynd7

There hasn't ever been a bad Mario mainline game, there's no question of the game being fantastic. Reviews don't even matter.

ubiblu

Yo, can we move past this petty score bullshit (no one gives a fuck if you don't agree with Edge or rate something differently) and talk about the real news here: game is apparently quite good and has +- 800 moons!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Even Edge knows that Sunshine is the worst 3d Mario(by worst I mean least great)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Lets all hope Nintendo doesn't screw up this time, they've been known for releasing mediocre mainline Marios for years now

I pray this isn't the case anymore

3D World, 3D Land, Galaxy 1 and 2 are anything but mediocre.

I don't really mind the large amount of moons in Odyssey. I thought I would be bothered by the Korok seed quest but they were relatively easy to get and were actually fun as well!

But you know the real reason why Odyssey should get at most a 6 out of 10? The lack of Rosalina. I mean come on Nintendo. How could you screw it all up so much?!
/s

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
No cappy but can someone add a mustache to my avatar?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I may just have to cave and buy that swank Red Odessey Switch bundle.

Life is rough.

Tarrin

Amazing score. 27th looking good with this, Wolfenstein, and Origins coming out.

Also, if we're requesting Cappys, may I get one for Greenberg in my avatar here?

Lets all hope Nintendo doesn't screw up this time, they've been known for releasing mediocre mainline Marios for years now
Now that the world has experience the joy that is Knack II there's no way they can catch up. Odyssey is a good try, but too little too late IMO

Sirhc

Neo Member
Trying to keep my hype in check, the struggle is real. Not sure how I am going to find time to play all these great games coming out and Odyssey is going to shove everything out of the way on the 27th.

The majority agreed that BotW was a 10 and that's all that matters.

It isn't a 10/10 game imo, though.

10/10 games:
Dark Souls
The Last of Us
Skyrim
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bayonetta 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Bioshock
Fallout 3
Resident Evil 4

Sygma

It's a hunting game where there's monsters and creatures every five steps. I got so sick and exhausted fighting the same robots again and again and each new robot seemed to be a slightly different version of an earlier robot. I gave up about halfway through because I got seriously bored with the combat, the world was so uninteresting considering the lore and the story wasn't doing it for me.

Why do you buy an action rpg if you don't like action to begin with, lol

Each robot had distinct attack pattern, weakness and behavior so I'm not too sure what you're on about.

If you didn't get enough infos as for the settings of a game, that's on you too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom