• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS3/360/Wii era was the generation of broken dreams. So much hype and in the end...Diamond and Pearl sucked, Smash Bros sucked, Mario Kart sucked, LBP sucked, GTA completely changed (which sucked at first) ,MGS4 delivered but managed to be weird as fuck even by MGS standards.

Halo and 3D Mario were the only things that were as good as everyone hoped.

I'd fight you for that, arggghh! ;) I love this game.

Apart from Mario Galaxy & Demon's/Dark Souls of that gen really stands out anymore, though.

I regret following Erik Kain's work on the Souls series. What a fucking knob he turned out to be in the years that followed. I'm not surprised he's behind this sad heap of words he calls an article.

You can't accuse EDGE, of all publications, of striking a shady deal with Nintendo without a shred of evidence to back it up.

elmalloc

Awesome.

I'm about 130 hours into Zelda BOTW and don't have anywhere near all shrines or korok seeds. I'm not going to Hyrule and fight G-man until my heart gauge is full, which is still a long way off.

Probably 70 hours in I began to think this is one of if not the best games ever, I pick it up for an hour, find a shrine - beat it, stop playing.

I've unlocked the entire map but based on hero path, I haven't seen 30% of it. I truly hope the next Zelda is a similar engine but multiplayer. I'm not sure if I'd want it MMO though, Zelda's single player story is what drives the game. Perhaps Guild Wars 2ish MMO.

Will definitely get SMO day-one, but it will only push me to beat Zelda. I don't see playing SMO until Christmas time because of that.

jariw

I mean, what is this guy on about. Edge got an exclusive first review of BotW, gave it a 10/10, and then the game went on to skirt a Metacritic score of 98, more than validating their review score.

All of the other Edge 10's have exceptionally high reviews overall.

There is no reason to believe that Edge — perhaps the highest quality publication in the industry — are being disingenuous with their scoring, particularly when they have a reputation for being very harsh.

Obviously Nintendo don't mind giving a publication that appreciates their games early access.

How long was it between the EDGE issue with BotW and the general BotW embargo?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I got more of a Sunshine vibe than a Galaxy one but I played very little.

Please no, sunshine was mediocre. Anyone who says other wise has some serious nostalgia goggles on.

The hotel level, the horrible music, the voice overs arghhhh. Best part of the game are the fludd less levels and that’s what galaxy is full of!

My guess (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you define a 10 as a perfect game. In that interpretation, no game ever should get a 10. However, most reviewers define a 10 as an exceptional title that has a uniquely high quality for its time. In that definition, awarding a 10 is possible. It's a semantic difference everyone should get past at this point, I think.

Agreed, it's pretty silly. I mean if no game is truly perfect enough to deserve a 10 then just mentally assume that all reviews are out of 11. Solved. No game has ever gotten that perfect score, and 10s are simply among the best of their contemporaries.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Agreed, it's pretty silly. I mean if no game is truly perfect enough to deserve a 10 then just mentally assume that all reviews are out of 11. Solved. No game has ever gotten that perfect score, and 10s are simply among the best of their contemporaries.

Or just more accurately think of it as 9.97 or whatever rounded up. Closer to 10 than 9 or 9.5.

I mean, what is this guy on about. Edge got an exclusive first review of BotW, gave it a 10/10, and then the game went on to skirt a Metacritic score of 98, more than validating their review score.

All of the other Edge 10's have exceptionally high reviews overall.

There is no reason to believe that Edge — perhaps the highest quality publication in the industry — are being disingenuous with their scoring, particularly when they have a reputation for being very harsh.

Obviously Nintendo don't mind giving a publication that appreciates their games early access.

It's always the same when a Nintendo game get's a near perfect or perfect score. people just can't accept it. More console war BS.

Ridley327

Yeah, but they are as they are because it allows for 4 player online multiplayer.
Which is still fairly rare in platform games.

Its also skipping over the whole 'build your own' aspect, which has only arguably been bettered by Super Mario Maker

That goes back to my point about GTA4, though: the idea is so much better than the reality, but scores for games that gen were more geared to what the game was in your head versus the game that you were actually playing.

8bit

Knows the Score
How long was it between the EDGE issue with BotW and the general BotW embargo?

Edge's 10/10 review score was known on 25th February according to Wikipedia (which may have leaked a day or so earlier than the official Edge review embargo), general embargo for BotW was March 2nd, iirc.

Edge repeatedly refers to Odyssey as a successor to 64, not Galaxy, and even takes the time to point out that the typical level design of Galaxy (tight, restrictive, pushing the player from one sphere to the next) is like the antithesis of Odyssey.

Really don't understand how someone could watch videos and read stuff about the game and think it's closer to Galaxy than 64.
Is more about the Sunshine comparisons with Odyssey. And i stablashied other similarties with Galaxies in the previous post.

Also it seems there's some mental block developed around the Galaxy games, maybe it's status as Wii games is what causes it?

Remembering Galaxy series only for it's Planetoids when they are the most varied 3D Mario games ever created is kind of unfair. Games that could transition from 3D to 2D side scrolling to over the top views, to an on rails progression, to indirect controlled movement, to full roaming 3D levels like the ones in 64. Basically the Galaxy series offers a compilation of many Mario mechanics across the 2D and 3D games while bringing new things as well.

Besides "Planetoid" like level sets were implememnted in the 64 games sans the spherical navigation with it's gravity mechanics. We can see this in the bowser levels.

Moose84

Not to derail this thread but whilst I completely agree 10/10 doesn't mean a game is perfect, some games can get pretty damn close. I consider a game like Shovel Knight pretty much perfect in that it achieves exactly what it sets out to, has no faults (to me at least), great visuals, great gameplay, great audio, great lasting appeal. Obviously that may just be my opinion speaking, but reviews are fairly subjective anyway.

But yeah, just a minor point I was keen to make. I think games can get closer to "perfect" than people think. Inside might be another example in that there are no real faults with it.

hemo memo

Gold Member

10 is not perfect.

what happened to Kaicho?

Still doing the retro show as usual. This is Gamecenter DX, a Nintendo spin off with Hamaguchi, Arino's comedy partner.

He plays the latest Nintendo games and tries to beat the challenges created by the staff. You can watch more episodes on Nintendo official JPN channel. There are videos for Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Breath of The Wild, etc.

im not blaming any person here about misleading, im talking about the January comparison slide we got from Nintendo. To be honest im not impying im a 100% right, just that it looks more Galaxy than people give credit.

For example, Cappy is an enhanced Luma more than a Flood. A 1 input multipurpose mechanic. Star Spin both doubled as an offensive and jump safety net manuver just like Cappy. With the difference Cappy has the added "capturing" to replace the Galaxy power up system.

I think Cappy serves more as a fusion between the Luma and Mario 64's transformation hats, with the far, far bigger emphasis being on the latter. Sure, Cappy helps in traversal and defeating enemies but the focus on the game is the transformations. Obviously to a much further extent than Mario 64's transformations of course, but along the same lines, in that you have a discrete area where you can achieve the transformation and then use it to either explore or accomplish a goal nearby.

The way to progress from level to level. Mario Star Ship is similar to the Odyssey in the sense that power stars/Moonshines are neede to open the path to new ones, so this is not "Open World" as is wrongly throw around fom time to time by SOME.

But this is exactly the same as 64 and Sunshine. You collect a certain amount of stars/shines/moons to open up new levels.

Another thing is when we look at the Galaxy series more open ended levels. Odyssey has similar transitions from 2D gameplay to 3D gameplay. That wasn't part of either Sunshine nor 64.

Basically take an open Galaxy level and spread 3D World like green stars in there, while also having the more complex Stars the game has and you end up pretty close to Odyssey. In the end like i said, the fact that Mario doesn't exit the level makes a big difference but that wasn't part of 64 or Sunshine either as the player was taken out of the level except for some cases.

I'll give you the 2D-3D transitions but in general I think the comparisons greatly favor 64/Sunshine (closer to 64 than Sunshine in my opinion) than the Galaxy games due to the structure of the levels. You are encouraged and required to explore the open levels to find lots of moons, whereas Galaxy is all about finding the quickest way forward to the goal star (similar to 3D Land/World).

Basically, while the structure of the levels has greatly evolved from 64 and Sunshine and therefore may take some inspiration from Galaxy, like in the side/secret areas, the general structure of the gameplay and loop is far more similar to 64 and Sunshine than it is to Galaxy.

Review scores are dumb. The fact that we still regularly have discussions about whether 10/10 means a game is “perfect” is maddening.

Also, I forgot Erik Kain existed until this thread. So that’s something.

Still doing the retro show as usual. This is Gamecenter DX, a Nintendo spin off with Hamaguchi, Arino's comedy partner.

He plays the latest Nintendo games and tries to beat the challenges created by the staff. You can watch more episodes on Nintendo official JPN channel. There are videos for Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Breath of The Wild, etc.

ok thanks for clearing that up

I mean, perfect, unless you're talking about God, is sort of a nebulous term. It's up for interpretation of the reviewer.

In the rubric I developed for my team (abridged):

10/10 is I cannot find even one thing wrong, and thus, cannot imagine how this could be better. Perfection. GOAT status.

9.0-9.5 is Outstanding. Exceptional. GOTY material. Establishes a standard by which all future games should be judged henceforth.

8.0-8.5 is Greatness, Excellent. Worth playing at full price.

7.0-7.5 is good/neat/interesting--only fans of the genre or IP might want to pay what they consider "full price"

6.0-6.5 above average--either the developer tried hard and missed the mark or the dev did enough just to get buy and it shows

5.0-5.5 average--there is better and there is worse. Causes ambivalence

4.0-4.5 below average--this is where performance issues show up such as FPS drops/slowdown, screen tearing, and PSX-era textures (pixel art can be okay, but yours is trash), and OG Resident-Evil tier VA show up. Music and FX are annoying if not inadequate or absent

3.0-3.5 game is bad. If you were not writing a review, you would be asking Valve for a refund...unless you're playing on consoles #selfpwn

2.0-2.5 You actively hate playing this game, and thinking of ways you could nuke it into orbit is more fun than actually playing.

1.0-1.5 Game is literally unplayable. BSODs, DRM problems, crashes, save deletion, always online service that can't phone home. Also, plagiarism (if you're going to pay homage to a beloved franchise, you had better say so in your promotional materials!).

I am brainstorming how to revise our methodology because if we just scored with one overall score, this rubric would be perfect. But we assign individual scores based upon three categories, and they are averaged into an overall: story, gameplay, and presentation (graphics/music/sound).

Unless Mario Odyssey all of a sudden has a story like Witcher 3, it can't score a 10/10...I'm not sure if any game can. And that's a problem.

Skronk

Banned
Please no, sunshine was mediocre. Anyone who says other wise has some serious nostalgia goggles on.

The hotel level, the horrible music, the voice overs arghhhh. Best part of the game are the fludd less levels and that’s what galaxy is full of!

I totally agree.

The pachinko machine, the lily-pad death water slide, the burning chainchomps, the boatride to bowser, the watermelon festival...

The list can go on forever in Sunshine's Bad Game column. I think it was a lot of Gamecube kid's first Mario game so they'll love it forever regardless.

I played Sunshine after Galaxy 1 & 2 and I think it's a great game - certainly not an opinion based on nostalgia. Fludd is fun, presentation is good, the bosses are amazing (love the rollercoaster and the manta).

Only main Mario games that I actually dislike are New Super Mario Bros (DS) and New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS). Level design is bland and I don't like how Mario controls in the New series.

LordRaptor

I've always taken a 10 to mean "This game is so good it is worth playing even for people that usually don't like this sort of game" because most people will mentally add / subtract points based on their own genre preference anyway.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Unless Mario Odyssey all of a sudden has a story like Witcher 3, it can't score a 10/10...I'm not sure if any game can. And that's a problem.
Story & gameplay = apple & oranges. You can give a 10 to the pinacle of 2 different games, handling what they try to achieve better than any other title.

Review scores are dumb. The fact that we still regularly have discussions about whether 10/10 means a game is “perfect” is maddening.

Also, I forgot Erik Kain existed until this thread. So that’s something.
Review scores aren't dumb, the way people are using or considering them as fact is dumb.

They accompany articles in which the rationale behind the score is explained. That's what matters, the score is just the punctuation at the end of it.

I... don't know how to respond to this. Like at all. Part of me hopes that this is just some sort of a joke. It's a parody of something right? I'm an old man and I don't keep up on all the current memes. Someone link me to what this is spoofing.

It's always the same when a Nintendo game get's a near perfect or perfect score. people just can't accept it. More console war BS.

It's more about how Skyward Sword has people on the fence since it wasn't as deserving of that 10 (9 at most). Anyway no need to bring up Skyward Sword again since I believe it was argued about 3 times already in this topic.

I... don't know how to respond to this. Like at all. Part of me hopes that this is just some sort of a joke. It's a parody of something right? I'm an old man and I don't keep up on all the current memes. Someone link me to what this is spoofing.

I saw it on Twitter and assumed it was a joke. I thought it was being a bit harsh about GAF posters, frankly

WestEgg

I mean, perfect, unless you're talking about God, is sort of a nebulous term. It's up for interpretation of the reviewer.

I can't disagree more harshly with this. By that logic, Tetris has no merit as a video game because it has no story to speak of.

I mean, rating a game's story makes perfect sense in a game that tries to have a deep, meaningful story. But docking a Mario game for lack of story is quite frankly ludicrous.

A review of a game (or movie, or any artistic work) should more or less focus on what the game sets out to do, and how well it achieves what it set out to do. That's why a compelling narrative can lift the Witcher 3 to great scores when it was mechanically a bit of a mess to play, and a Mario game without much of a story focus (even though it has more of a focus on story than any previous mainline Mario game IMO) can get great scores because it's mechanically a fantastic game to play.

Judging every single game on the same criteria really makes no sense.

I think Cappy serves more as a fusion between the Luma and Mario 64's transformation hats, with the far, far bigger emphasis being on the latter. Sure, Cappy helps in traversal and defeating enemies but the focus on the game is the transformations. Obviously to a much further extent than Mario 64's transformations of course, but along the same lines, in that you have a discrete area where you can achieve the transformation and then use it to either explore or accomplish a goal nearby.
This is more or less basically what i said. The key point of my post was that Capy and Luma are the similar mechanics and not Fludd.

With that said the power ups in Galaxy and 64 basically are really close in the way they work. As a tangent Sunshine is kind of a missed oportunity here because the nozzles should have been permanent power ups to Fludd, it would have made exploration more open instad of controlled like any other power up in 64 or Galxy.

But this is exactly the same as 64 and Sunshine. You collect a certain amount of stars/shines/moons to open up new levels.
You are omiting something here. Both 64 and Sunshine have hughe emphasis in it's Hub worlds: Peach Castle and Island Delfino.

As far as i know, in Odyssey Mario just fuels the ship with Moonshines so it can reach new levels, just like in the Galaxies (2 specially with it's SMW like overworld map) Mario fueld the Starships with Power Stars so it can reach other Galaxies.

I'll give you the 2D-3D transitions but in general I think the comparisons greatly favor 64/Sunshine (closer to 64 than Sunshine in my opinion) than the Galaxy games due to the structure of the levels. You are encouraged and required to explore the open levels to find lots of moons, whereas Galaxy is all about finding the quickest way forward to the goal star (similar to 3D Land/World).
This is the thing people are missing with the comparisons and why i center more with the Sunshine ones, because saying that it's "similar to 64" doesn't mean much when 64 DNA is across all the 3D games in the series (arguibly the entire industry XD) except for the 3D Land mold that aspires to be a hybrid of the 2D and 3D games.

Another thing: Galaxy did have open explorable levels like the ones in 64. i don't understand why this is usually brushed over. One of these "Open Levels" that might have Mario collecting star shrads, ends up working more or less like any traditional Mario 64 level. Not to mention these levels also housed secret stars so that took them even closer to the traditional 64 stapple.

Funny enough, a significant amount of Odyssey Moonshines work like 3D World's green stars, it's basically fusing those collectibles with the more structured Stars of 64, Sunshine and Galaxy.

Basically, while the structure of the levels has greatly evolved from 64 and Sunshine and therefore may take some inspiration from Galaxy, like in the side/secret areas, the general structure of the gameplay and loop is far more similar to 64 and Sunshine than it is to Galaxy.

Important to make the distinction in the highlighted part: Loop and Gameplay.

While the Loop could be similar to Sunshine's the moment to moment gameplay could be more in line with Galaxy, due to the mechanics. Cappy/Luma are closer to each other than Fludd.

In the rubric I developed for my team (abridged):

I am brainstorming how to revise our methodology because if we just scored with one overall score, this rubric would be perfect. But we assign individual scores based upon three categories, and they are averaged into an overall: story, gameplay, and presentation (graphics/music/sound).

If 10/10 has to be perfect and no game is, maybe change your rubric.

wrowa

I, for one, can’t understand why Edge, the most prestigious gaming magazine in the world, has an early review of an anticipated game. It’s almost as if Nintendo wants to have a timely Edge review and not one that is a month late! How bizarre!

Fireblend

Banned
Unless Mario Odyssey all of a sudden has a combat system like Final Fantasy Tactics, it can't score a 10/10...I'm not sure if any game can. And that's a problem.

Unless Mario Odyssey all of a sudden has crafting like Terraria, it can't score a 10/10...I'm not sure if any game can. And that's a problem.

Unless Mario Odyssey all of a sudden has a multiplayer mode like PUBG, it can't score a 10/10...I'm not sure if any game can. And that's a problem.

etc

Axass

I mean, you have to be a really sad soul to attack Edge out of all the gaming outlets, and over a Super Mario Odyssey review. One of the oldest and most respected publications gives a 10 to a game everybody is already acclaiming as a masterpiece and GOTY contender.

Super fishy, isn't it?

*sigh*

I, for one, can’t understand why Edge, the most prestigious gaming magazine in the world, has an early review of an anticipated game. It’s almost as if Nintendo wants to have a timely Edge review and not one that is a month late! How bizarre!

Also, hey, maybe Nintendo has people who work there who know damn well when they have something special on their hands? Like the whole "paid review!!!" argument is so weird to me when EDGE is frankly already reliable to give Nintendo games good reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom