• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

People complain about the NSMB look but...

screen696x6962cstl.jpeg

0zbPy.png

Just look at the ground texture, and at how Super Mario Run's is completely empty/duplicated compared to the texture of NSMBU. It was the same for Super Mario Maker, really, the actual NSMBU looks is much better than its SMM skin. What puzzles me is Super Mario Run looks even cheaper than Super Mario Maker when making something as good looking as NSMBU wouldn't have been hard. It's really half assed to the point that it's shocking. This is sort of huge, it's Mario's first game on mobile, make it look decent!

Anyway, about the main topic... wasn't this completely obvious? People, Nintendo is trying to survive here. We already know they're fusing their home and handheld console market so they stay viable, how is it surprising they release Mario games on mobile? Wasn't this expected since Miitomo?
Looks like Uncharted 4 compared to Candy Crush and Toy Blast.

screen696x6962cstl.jpeg

That repeating texture definitely looks bad. Hopefully these aren't final shots.

I'm curious if Super Mario Run was totally developed by DeNa, or if Nintendo was involved in the production. The gameplay looks quite good, but you're right that the graphics aren't as rich as they could be.

nkarafo

There are millions of mobile players who do just fine with it each and every day, somehow.
Because games are designed around this limitation. That's why you get simplistic games like this Mario runner instead of proper platformers.

And i agree. Some genres work better with touch controls. I already said that. But most genres which require more complexity and precision just don't. So you have to design games with simplistic controls, low reflex requirements, error correction, auto-aim, etc.

And that's how these millions of people control all these games fine.

Yukinari

So im curious if the reason why theyre charging upfront for this game is because they saw Sega shut down Sonic Runners.

Sonic Runners wasnt making enough money to stay sustainable.

screen696x6962cstl.jpeg

0zbPy.png

Just look at the ground texture, and at how Super Mario Run's is completely empty/duplicated compared to the texture of NSMBU. It was the same for Super Mario Maker, really, the actual NSMBU looks is much better than its SMM skin. What puzzles me is Super Mario Run looks even cheaper than Super Mario Maker when making something as good looking as NSMBU wouldn't have been hard. It's really half assed to the point that it's shocking. This is sort of huge, it's Mario's first game on mobile, make it look decent!

The NSMB style is so hideous, these differences don't even make a difference anymore.

Kouriozan

So im curious if the reason why theyre charging upfront for this game is because they saw Sega shut down Sonic Runners.

Sonic Runners wasn't a very good F2P (for Sega), this game gave a lot of premium currency and companions, so much that you could very well play for a long time without paying, like I did.

MrBadger

Sonic Runners was a textbook example of how F2P can absolutely ruin an experience.

cRIPticon

Emulators? Virtual control pads? What am I reading...

Anyway, we all know that a physical pad will be better than a virtual pad for some types of games. However, there are many, many genres of games out there that control just fine with touch. There are millions of mobile players who do just fine with it each and every day, somehow. I know it's fun to whine about mobile here on GAF, but the "omg touch controls" thing is pretty silly in 2016. "But you can't play COD with Touch controls!!"

Well, it's not silly, in that physical controls are, by and large, superior to virtual controls for most functions.

This has to do with the fact that we are tactile creatures and touch is one of the ways that the brain understands the bounds of movement for our bodies, our place in 3D space, etc. What has happened is that game developers have found methods of rough grain movement/touch controls (read: swiping and tapping) that replace more traditional functions of a standard physical controller. Both swiping and tapping do not require, nor provide, the same positional granularity that physical controls do (Think pushing an analog stick a little to walk, further to run, full tilt to sprint vs rolling your thumb on a virtual stick).

You can play games with touch controls, but muscle memory is more difficult due to the lack of physical cues that physical controls provide.

Looks to be a well-made runner. It's nothing to get too upset over, since it's little like an actual Mario game, but Nintendo will make money. That's good.

I'm more impressed by the marketing aspect: on Apple's stage, out of nowhere, the same day as Sony's (arguably lukewarm) presentation...Nice choices.

Nerokis

yeah

this distinction isn't making me want to play it any more or less lol

Have the people saying this ever played an endless runner?

Because the distinction is meaningful enough that I have no desire at all to play another endless runner, but am looking forward to checking out this Mario game.

AntMurda

That repeating texture definitely looks bad. Hopefully these aren't final shots.

I'm curious if Super Mario Run was totally developed by DeNa, or if Nintendo was involved in the production. The gameplay looks quite good, but you're right that the graphics aren't as rich as they could be.

Nintendo was clear that they were developing the 5 games themselves. DeNA handles the backend infrastructure. Hell, Hideki Konno was playing the game himself on stage. He is a game developer for Nintendo.

Schnozberry

Repeating textures may be a case of wanting to reduce the size of the game (memory-wise) and improve performance on especially lower-end phones.

Bingo. Especially on Android, there is quite the range of hardware out there. Even older iOS devices will be a challenge.

Simbabbad

Repeating textures may be a case of wanting to reduce the size of the game (memory-wise) and improve performance on especially lower-end phones.
Oh come on. How much a handful alternative tiles for each look + a randomiser would weight? Even if they absolutely had to keep just one tile, at least make it better looking. Or offer a retro skin, like in Mario Maker.

Kouriozan

Saw on Twitter that this game will be free to start (Nintendo really love this with Pokémon Picross and one Pushmo) then a full unlock IAP.

Link1110

How about a mini game in there with blue Yoshi flying between pipes of different heights. Mario graphics will make it perfect

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Because games are designed around this limitation. That's why you get simplistic games like this Mario runner instead of proper platformers.

And i agree. Some genres work better with touch controls. I already said that. But most genres which require more complexity and precision just don't. So you have to design games with simplistic controls, low reflex requirements, error correction, auto-aim, etc.

And that's how these millions of people control all these games fine.

To be honest, "platformers", proper or otherwise, aren't exactly a popular genre in 2016. This isn't 1996 ;) So I'm okay with that.

Right, games that rely on complexity and precision do not work as well on mobile as they do with a controller, much like there are games/genres that do not work as well on consoles/with a physical controller as they do with a kb/m. That's why those console games have aim assist, error correction, simplistic controls, etc.

There are always trade-offs when playing certain genres on certain platforms. This has been true for decades. I guess I don't understand why people love to come into mobile game threads and scream "touch controls on mobile suck for these 3 genres of games!" when no one comes into console threads and screams "console controls suck for RTS/strategy/whatever types of games".

Of course, there used to be many PC elitists who loved to go into console FPS threads and do just that: "lol how can you play an FPS with a controller???" Console players knew that the controls for FPS worked just fine with controllers, and eventually everyone came to accept that, despite being inferior, it worked well enough. And we'll get there with touch controls as well. Until then, each mobile thread will have many "lol touch" posts.

No. But aren't these games designed around the limitations of a touch screen anyway? I assume you can control the ships from wherever your thumb is? I don't know.
That's what I mean though. Emulated games try to squeeze and cram gamepad controls onto touch. Mobile games are designed for touch. There's a difference in the controls, how they're presented onscreen, with elements like relative touch. I tried to play an emulated Zelda game on my iPad and it was a disaster.

Shang

So... what is up with those weird parkour animations Mario has going on? The rolls, the vaults, etc.. Looks really bizarre.

nkarafo

There are always trade-offs when playing certain genres on certain platforms. This has been true for decades. I guess I don't understand why people love to come into mobile game threads and scream "touch controls on mobile suck for these 3 genres of games!" when no one comes into console threads and screams "console controls suck for RTS/strategy/whatever types of games".
Console players already knew that FPS games control better with KB/Mouse ever since the genre became a thing on consoles. I don't think any console gamer will ever argue about that. Same with RTS games. You don't see many games of this type on consoles because both devs and players know they will control like shit (Starcraft 64 tried hard but come on).

Meanwhile, there are plenty of mobile players who just won't admit the limitations of the interface. And unlike how they did with consoles, developers do put out many games of genres that normally don't play nice with touch controls by over-simplifying them or not caring if they are, you know, shit.

It's two different situations IMO.

Maedhros

I honestly think the "touch controls suck" thing is an age and generational thing. If you play on mobile regularly, have grown up playing on touch, it's easy to play platformers. I beat VVVVV faster on iPad than I did on Steam. Limbo, Stealth Bastard, and myriad mobile-exclusive platformers control just fine

I play mobille games all the time and this isn't true for me at all.

Having virtual controls are a sure way to keep me fucking away from the game.

BTW, I'm interested in this game. It doesn't look better than the two excellent Rayman games though...

TheJoRu

Oh come on. How much a handful alternative tiles for each look + a randomiser would weight? Even if they absolutely had to keep just one tile, at least make it better looking. Or offer a retro skin, like in Mario Maker.

Sure, that would probably work. I agree that it probably could look better. But this is a thread where the graphics of a F2P mobile game is being compared with a full priced console game, so my post was to give some more potential reasons beyond "we can't be bothered" that would explain why it looks worse than NSMBU.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Console players already knew that FPS games control better with KB/Mouse ever since the genre became a thing on consoles. I don't think any console gamer will ever argue about that. Same with RTS games. You don't see many games of this type on consoles because both devs and players know they will control like shit.

But there are plenty of mobile players who just won't admit the limitations of the interface. And unlike how they did with consoles, developers do put out many games of genres that normally don't play nice with touch controls by over-simplifying them or not caring if they are, you know, shit.

It's two different situations IMO.

I guess we can disagree with "plenty of mobile players" who won't admit the limitations of touch. I just haven't seen it at all. I'm sure you can point to some that think otherwise, much like there some in the Halo threads arguing the virtues of a controller 10+ years ago. It's the exact same situation. Not to pick on you, though, but if your main experience with mobile gaming is through emulators, then you really haven't experienced mobile gaming. And I have no idea what shooter on what platform you were playing where there was such terrible input lag, but there are so, so, so many amazing shooters on mobile that I would call it one of the platform's strongest genres.

Simbabbad

But this is a thread where the graphics of a F2P mobile game is being compared with a full priced console game...
I love NSMBU and I think it looks good and people are being unfair to it, but you can't call it "a full priced console game" like it's Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 or Breath of the Wild.

This application looks horrible compared to what could have been with little to no extra effort, the textures having already been ripped from SMM. I mean, this is NSMB on DS:

nsmbds016.jpg

... the ground tiling is better there.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sure, that would probably work. I agree that it probably could look better. But this is a thread where the graphics of a F2P mobile game is being compared with a full priced console game, so my post was to give some more potential reasons beyond "we can't be bothered" that would explain why it looks worse than NSMBU.
It's not F2P, it's P2P (although you do get to try the first few levels for free, I think).

bobawesome

Posted this to a friend in Slack who first showed me the video.

My thoughts as Miyamoto speaks: "I really hope this isn't a NSMB themed runner."

Gameplay starts. Close video.

I'll still play it because I hate myself.

Zubz

Banned
You know... Outside of recycling vanilla NSMB assets, I'm ok with this. Nintendo actively tries to avoid doing what people want/expect, which isn't always bad, but it can also lead to bullheaded decisions.

The fact they're adding a Mario Runner to whatever FE/AC they have planned means Nintendo might strike a balance between risks and stability!

... That or they got bitter about Pokèmon Go not earning them as much as it did TPC/Niantic, and rushed out a stable game, and this is just a fluke for them.

120v

i'm not big on the speedrunning scene but whenever i go back to SMB 1&3 i make a meta game out of how fast i can get through the levels. honestly i couldn't have imagined a better fit for mario and mobile

This is a very bad move by Nintendo. If I can play Mario on my phone, why would I ever buy their consoles? Good job killing the NX before it's even out Nintendo.

I guess Nintendo really is its own worst enemy

AdanVC

Watching the news all over traditional media websites and all of them talking about iPhone 7 and Mario :') Such an excellent idea to present Mario's first mobile game in this way. I still can't believe we saw Miyamoto in an Apple event...

Top Bottom