• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World |OT| Did you ever see a dinosaur fly?

BHK3

Banned
And I think Yoshi's Island is wildly overrated. Looks like we both have silly opinions.

Why do you find it overrated? I find it that it keeps the same core elements as super Mario world while still being it's own thing.

Edit: Ya edited! Hm, the artstyle would have to do with your tastes but I don't understand the controls part. Is Yoshi too clunky? Floaty? What don't you like about him?

FYC

Banned
I'm playing through the main Mario games right now since I've never played / finished most of them. I just finished Mario 2 USA yesterday, so next on my list is Mario 3 and this of course.

Looking forward to it.

And I think Yoshi's Island is wildly overrated, controls like shit and coasts by mostly on a mediocre art style. Looks like we both have silly opinions.

Yoshi's Island is a great game, but I do agree that it's a bit overrated. The pace is just a tad bit too slow for my tastes. Especially coming off of a long string of faster-paced platformers of that era, including the likes of Donkey Kong Country, mind you.

It's a very charming, inventive little game, but it's no Super Mario World. Or even, Super Mario Bros. 3, etc.

While SMB3 is my fav game of all time I didn't get a SNES till well after SMW came out so I don't recall ever giving it a serious play. I think I was too busy playing Mariokart. Ill have to remedy this, this weekend.

Did you ever see a dinosaur fly?

papo_ptero.JPG

Why do you find it overrated? I find it that it keeps the same core elements as super Mario world while still being it's own thing.

Edit: Ya edited! Hm, the artstyle would have to do with your tastes but I don't understand the controls part. Is Yoshi too clunky? Floaty? What don't you like about him?

It's the weird aiming system, the annoying HP mechanic where the baby floats all over the place, the flutter jumping, etc.

I can see why people like it but calling it "The best platformer/SNES game" irks me.

I remember first scrolling around the map and seeing how huge the world was. Eventually I noticed the sunken ship and started wondering but thinking "Nah, it couldnt be that ship".

It was that ship from SMB3. 0_0

I just 100% 'd this yesterday. It was a bit more difficult than I remember, might have been because it was in 60hz rather than 50.

Refyref

I remember first scrolling around the map and seeing how huge the world was. Eventually I noticed the sunken ship and started wondering but thinking "Nah, it couldnt be that ship".

It was that ship from SMB3. 0_0

Well, one of them. SMB3 had many.

So I've never finished Super Mario World. It's just always seemed... off to me. The art style is kinda weird, the music kinda weird, it just never grabbed me.

Not to say it's not an incredible game, it just doesn't charm me like Super Mario Bros. 3 does.

BHK3

Banned
It's the weird aiming system, the annoying HP mechanic where the baby floats all over the place, the flutter jumping, etc.

I can see why people like it but calling it "The best platformer/SNES game" irks me.

Yea the aiming system wasn't the best, not sure how they could have fixed it without completely changing it to something else. Making it faster would make it frustrating and making it slower would just make it worse. I loathe the controls for the 3D Mario games, you have a terrible controller for SM64 and SMG, I don't understand how people can play those games when you can only run in 8 directions because of the little corners around the analog sticks.

NotLiquid

There are still a lot of levels I never got around to finishing and I love the secrets. I still come back and find new things and I love how varied the levels are. Special World in particular is one of the most phenomenal bonus areas.

Love it so much.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Man, what a game!
I've been obsessed with Halloween and the autumn season my whole life and it was such a magical time when I first unlocked the autumn theme back in the day.

SMW will always have a place in my heart for having that!

I was actually saddened today when I noticed that there was no version on the 3da eshop. I'm very new to the 3ds and would have bought it had it been available, but bought Cave Story instead.

As good as Mario 3 was, World was a whole other level. Definitely worth the price of a Snes.

Yea the aiming system wasn't the best, not sure how they could have fixed it without completely changing it to something else. Making it faster would make it frustrating and making it slower would just make it worse. I loathe the controls for the 3D Mario games, you have a terrible controller for SM64 and SMG, I don't understand how people can play those games when you can only run in 8 directions because of the little corners around the analog sticks.

I thought Galaxy controlled fine. Even the motion aspects worked.

Super Mario World is just incredible, it's the ideal template for a 2D Mario game and I was very happy that Super Mario Bros U took so much from it. Already bought it but I'm on vacation now before I got a chance to play it again, might do two player with the girlfriend this time though.

What I would give to have had NeoGAF around when SMW first released. I'd have loved to experience the OT for that back in the day.

Great game.

Will not re-buy though, still have my SNES and SMW readily accessible.

Joqu

Gotta admit that I still haven't beaten Super Mario World, and that's coming from someone who calls himself a big fan of Mario platformers. I really have to make this right with the Wii U release.

The best game ever made? Possibly. I remember playing with my brother on a SNES he bought off ebay, listening to Hot Chip and finding all the keys. SO good.

Roto13

FU Nintendo and your rehashes! How about a NEW Mario game! This is the same damn thing as Super Mario Bros. 3 except he has a cape instead of a tail and I guess Yoshi who just eats things! Why would you even eat stuff when you can just use the fire flower and burn stuff from farther away!

Oh and King Koopa kidnapped PRincess Toadstool, that's SOOOOO original! How about a new story, Nintendo! And still no online multiplayer? Fuck you!

Robin64

Wendy's Castle kicked my butt a lot this time. Those crushing spikes are harsh, they not only take away your power they then kill you too, all in one motion. Evil spikes..

Top Bottom