• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World |OT| Did you ever see a dinosaur fly?

Berordn

They were different characters mechanically in the SMW + All-Star release. The version of SMW on there was updated to make Luigi different.

Bit of a comparison:
smassmw_luigijnuau.gif

Luigi looked too confident, I guess.

Rezae

This game was a large part of my early years, but looking back, it was extremely easy and seemed a bit short on levels compared to SMB3. I struggled for months as a 9 year old trying to beat SMB3, but I beat SMW on Christmas Day hours after opening it. Still a great game, just felt it seemed a little weaker than SMB3. Still the tighest 2d controls ever.

zroid

Banned
Pretty much...

... yeaaaaah except those. Plus the bird levels in SMG2. Good lord those fucking bird levels.

I like the bird levels just fine, but the ball ones can go to hell. Especially the one in World S, oh goddddddddddddddddddddd bad memories

Andrew.

Banned
Trent Renzors

BIG_kartridzh_dlya_sega_super_mario_world_bros_sega_kod_08474_screen1.jpg

If I had to choose a hard part of this game, it would be fighting these things and letting that floor practically disintegrate the entire way. I've gotten extremely lucky quite a few times.

GulAtiCa

Trent Renzors

BIG_kartridzh_dlya_sega_super_mario_world_bros_sega_kod_08474_screen1.jpg

If I had to choose a hard part of this game, it would be fighting these things and letting that floor practically disintegrate the entire way. I've gotten extremely lucky quite a few times.

Oh man, these guys always frighten me in a way, do to them being so hard. Which is why I found them in NSMB2 to be disappointing. Heck, you could kill them all in the 3DS game without floor going away...

Reclaimer

What kind of up scaling is going on, if any? Does the Wiiu version output in 1080p?

I'm a retro snob with an XRGB, so I'm already getting 1080p upscaled SNES games... But if the WiiU is doing even greater justice to these classics, I might pick up a few.

Also, game pad lag... Is there any?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, there's something kind of funny about an OT for a game from 1991.

SMW is easily one of the best platformers ever. If only the NSMB series played a bit more like it.

Joqu

What kind of up scaling is going on, if any? Does the Wiiu version output in 1080p?

I'm a retro snob with an XRGB, so I'm already getting 1080p upscaled SNES games... But if the WiiU is doing even greater justice to these classics, I might pick up a few.

Also, game pad lag... Is there any?

Gamepad normally has less lag than your tv, but I've heard reports of lag in Super Mario World's case. Can anyone confirm this?

Andrew.

Banned
Lol, there's something kind of funny about an OT for a game from 1991.

SMW is easily one of the best platformers ever. If only the NSMB series played a bit more like it.

We need more OTs for classic games. The Earthbound one is going to massive.

And the Yoshi method to get to Soda has always been "the" method. Hell, it's even used in the Mario Mania guide Nintendo published back in 1991.

If you guys can, find yourselves a copy

np_mariomania.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

We need more OTs for classic games. The Earthbound one is going to massive.

And the Yoshi method to get to Soda has always been "the" method. Hell, it's even used in the Mario Mania guide Nintendo published back in 1991.

If you guys can, find yourselves a copy

np_mariomania.jpg

I have that!

AwRy108

Aside from Yoshi's island, there hasn't been a good Mario game since then imo.

Poor form, sir. I understand that you may see SMW as the pinnacle of the franchise; but to say that there hasn't been a "good" Mario game since the early SNES days is just plain incorrect.

When I saw this thread, I was kind of hoping everyone would do it "in character," as if the game really was a new release getting it's OT.

I wanted to post about how I thought that getting rid of the P-meter was a bad decision because it makes it harder to judge your run-up for takeoff, maybe mention how much fun I'm having doing speedruns in Sonic the Hedgehog while disclaiming being a console warrior.

Oh well.

thefro

This game was a large part of my early years, but looking back, it was extremely easy and seemed a bit short on levels compared to SMB3. I struggled for months as a 9 year old trying to beat SMB3, but I beat SMW on Christmas Day hours after opening it. Still a great game, just felt it seemed a little weaker than SMB3. Still the tighest 2d controls ever.

There's a lot of optional levels, Star World/Special World... pretty sure there's more content than SMB3.

Danny Dudekisser

When I saw this thread, I was kind of hoping everyone would do it "in character," as if the game really was a new release getting it's OT.

I wanted to post about how I thought that getting rid of the P-meter was a bad decision because it makes it harder to judge your run-up for takeoff, maybe mention how much fun I'm having doing speedruns in Sonic the Hedgehog while disclaiming being a console warrior.

Oh well.

Nah, we're in character. Nobody said anything about getting rid of the P-meter, because it was a good decision.

Mario World is the better game. Much better pacing.

Linkhero1

My favorite Mario game only because it's the first one I've personally owned. I replay it at least once a year. So many memories with this one. :')

Roto13

Oh well.

Right?

I did it anyway.

I want this on my Genesis! Can you imagine how this game would look like on Genesis hardware? So much wasted potential. Though the new Sonic will probably kick this game's ass.

Anth0ny

Best 2D Mario of all time!

Bit of a comparison:
smassmw_luigijnuau.gif

Luigi looked too confident, I guess.

And this is why I won't be picking it up for the Wii U anytime soon. Just picked me up a SMAS+W cart and have been playing through the entire game as Luigi.

#yearofluigi

Metal-Geo

We could still be in character, by acting as if the game just got released for the first time.

Where's the fookin' server browser?! No quickmatch? Pffff. 1/10

Definitely my favourite 2D Mario. Sorry Mario 3.

Andrew.

Banned

I really hope my mom gets home early from work so we have time to go to Toys R Us. This will be my most prized yellow ticket of all time. Longest day of school everrrrr today.

;P

BasilZero

My most favorite Mario game (and my first ;p).

The last GOOD 2D super mario platformer game (excluding Yoshi's Island/DS) imo :(

zroid

Banned
Why the hell is Mario riding a dinosaur. What's up with that?

Pfft, I thought Nintendo would know better than to latch onto silly nineties trends. Disappointing.

Robin64

I want this on my Genesis! Can you imagine how this game will look like on Genesis hardware? So much wasted potential. Though the new Sonic will probably kick this game's ass.

Are you kidding? The music would suck on the Genesis, which is called the Mega Drive here, or Mug-o-Drive according to Nintendo magazines. Mario rules, Sonic drools.

Andrew.

Banned
Are you kidding? The music would suck on the Genesis, which is called the Mega Drive here, or Mug-o-Drive according to Nintendo magazines. Mario rules, Sonic drools.

Whatever dude. Have you ever heard of Streets of Rage? Axel the white guy would beat the shit out of Mario.

Roto13

Nuh uh, dude, Blast Processing means Mario could run faster and the game would be easier.

Yeah yeah yeah, more Mario games. When the hell are Nintendo going to get around to releasing a new Zelda or Metroid?! Zelda II was a joke, and I hear the next Metroid game's going to be on Gameboy?

Top Bottom