• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yeah there is the initial hold/pre-auth but it will go away. We charge once it ships. Right now we are expecting the shipment to arrive BY late March. It could be earlier depending on production, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Also, we are blazing through these so thanks everyone who has already pre-ordered. It helps give us an idea of reorders.

tagrat

Just pre-ordered my USFIV TE2! I totally shouldn't be spending the money, but that is what credit cards are for... I really wish I didn't miss out on the Persona one, but I can't pass up the opportunity to finally have some variant. Just hope that Mad Catz some other super sweet stick in time leading up to this one shipping.

I definitely know I want to get an octagonal gate, but what are peoples thoughts on the larger actuator available? Also, I have some OBSN-30 buttons that are light blue. Can I remove the actual interior button from that housing and replace the interior button of the OBSF-30 with them? I was thinking of mixing the colors...

BioBooster

Neo Member
So I've been using the HRAP Hayabusa since around the time it came out, more recently got the V4 for Xrd.

IMO the control quality is pretty good if you like a sensitive stick. I've been having to make the adjustment to very 'light' cmd inputs which is when this stick is at it's best, but in the heat of the moment, I'm using a good deal of force which can lead to unintended inputs.

Heh, from what I can tell it's accurate, but I think results vary based on how hard you are performing inputs...

Is anyone else experiencing the same in comparison to more traditional sanwa joystick parts?

ajb1888

Banned
Can the USFIV TE2 only be preordered through the Madcatz website, or can I run to Gamestop and preorder through their store?

BNGames

And my USF4 TE 2 is done, just buttoned it up and tested it. A bit dark in here, ill take better pics tomorrow

FEBBzX6l.jpg

aNbSsirl.jpg

vg260

Hm, I guess I'll wait for the MadCatz one or possibly a new GG variation with black sides. I have my eye on the new Hori RAP4 Kai, but I might still pick up one of these.

Any chance Amazon will start carrying the MC one like they do for the Xbox One?

What do Hori's Kai sticks have over standard HRAPs?

All current-production Hori sticks are Hayabusa/Kuro only (we'll probably never see another Seimitsu/Sanwa from them...).

The older 360/PS3-era "thick" RAP case is being phased out and all new sticks will look like the current Xbox One stick. A revised PS4 stick with a touchpad is coming in March. I've got $10 that says we'll see a 360/One combo stick by late in the year now that Microsoft has relaxed their controller standards a bit.

The "Kai" variant adds a 85mm stick spacing vs the traditional 59mm spacing. I personally find the 85mm spacing vastly superior, but that's just me. The Kai is otherwise identical outside of some graphics changes.

BOTEC

... (we'll probably never see another Seimitsu/Sanwa from them...).

I wouldn't mind if the asking price went down. I hate buying a stick with authentic arcade components, ripping them out only to replace them with parts from a different maker. Why not just sell an empty RAP shell for $100, and I'll plug my own stick and buttons into it? I have three JLF's and a box full of OBSF's just collecting dust for no reason.

I REALLY hate gloss plastic, I've only owned the stick for a week and it already looks gross.

If MCZ manufactures any matte plastic parts that can replace these I will love them forever lol.

A thousand times this. High gloss plastic needs to die in a horrific, painful, firery death. Fuck gloss plastic. Seriously.

AlexIIDX

And my USF4 TE 2 is done, just buttoned it up and tested it. A bit dark in here, ill take better pics tomorrow

Cool, the buttons are awesome....question, did you remove the original art or put yours on top? I want to customize mine but wasn't sure on that front.

BNGames

Cool, the buttons are awesome....question, did you remove the original art or put yours on top? I want to customize mine but wasn't sure on that front.

We removed the art, its stuck on with adhesive strips to the metal panel which everything is mounted to. The Plexiglass thankfully was not discolored so I didn't have to reorder a new one cut from Tek.

We used tek's template though for the art formatting found here: http://tek-innovations.mediathree.net/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=products&cat=21

BOTEC

Question: What is a good place to buy buttons from?

I just bought some from Focus Attack and they came all scuffed up. I'm not very happy about that. I know that Akishop ships their buttons with the plastic film to protect against that, but their processing is garbage. I ordered (and paid via PayPal) for an order last week, and it still hasn't shipped. And I just checked Paradise Arcade Shop but they don't have enough stock for what I need. So those three are out. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just 8 red Sanwas.

Grifter

Thanks, guys. I'm deciding if I should wait on that Kai or bite on one of the TE2 pre-orders. I'd want to swap to Seimitsu buttons on either one so that's not a big deal and the impressions here have me curious about the Hayabusa stick.

The extra space sounds like I can sit at a bit more natural of a posture too.

Any impressions on the weight of current HRAPs vs. TE2? I came up in US arcades and a MAS stick so I want the base as heavy as can be.

BNGames

I just bought some from Focus Attack and they came all scuffed up. I'm not very happy about that. I know that Akishop ships their buttons with the plastic film to protect against that, but their processing is garbage. I ordered (and paid via PayPal) for an order last week, and it still hasn't shipped. And I just checked Paradise Arcade Shop but they don't have enough stock for what I need. So those three are out. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just 8 red Sanwas.

Ive placed Dozens of orders through Focus Attack and have never had an issue. Id send them an email and let them know your having problems, they usually are pretty good about any questions.

For Japanese parts domestically in the US there's really only Focus Attack and Paradise Arcade Shop. Internationally the main players look to be Akishop, ArcadeShop.de, and Arcade World UK.

Thanks, guys. I'm deciding if I should wait on that Kai or bite on one of the TE2 pre-orders. I'd want to swap to Seimitsu buttons on either one so that's not a big deal and the impressions here have me curious about the Hayabusa stick.

The extra space sounds like I can sit at a bit more natural of a posture too.

Any impressions on the weight of current HRAPs vs. TE2? I came up in US arcades and a MAS stick so I want the base as heavy as can be.

I'd wait for the Kai in March, but that's just me. Put in a Seimitsu LS-40-01 and some PS-14-G buttons and call it good.

BOTEC

For Japanese parts domestically in the US there's really only Focus Attack and Paradise Arcade Shop. Internationally the main players look to be Akishop, ArcadeShop.de, and Arcade World UK.

I just ordered from canadianjoysticks.com. I used them before and was satisfied, but the shipping & handling charges are kind of nuts. $20 combined S+H from Canada to the US. Damn.

I'd wait for the Kai in March, but that's just me. Put in a Seimitsu LS-40-01 and some PS-14-G buttons and call it good.

I like the cut of your jib.

Grifter

Is Lizard Lick gone? Went to check where I last ordered buttons from and found their invoice.

Leaning that way! LS-40-01 has the short throw, right? I put that in an old stick and was not feeling it for rolling motions. Very curious on the Hayabusa since that seems to have a longer throw and more tightness.

Is Lizard Lick gone? Went to check where I last ordered buttons from and found their invoice.
Lizard Lick went under some time back now.

LS-40-01 has the short throw, right?
Yes. It's really more for twitch games like SHMUPs and classic arcade games.

Very curious on the Hayabusa since that seems to have a longer throw and more tightness.
The Hayabusa is way better than the JLF from what I've seen. Only JLF close I think would be the Silent JLF w/ 2lb spring.

If you want lots of throw and a good zero center, look into Korean sticks.

Matt_C

I have three JLF's and a box full of OBSF's just collecting dust for no reason.

Please sell them to me ^_~

I want to retrofit an iCade core into a PS3 compatible joystick. I sort of know that I have to make some changes like drilling bigger holes.

Ok, finally someone (Hori) released an easy and relatively cheap 3rd party PS4 pad that can be modified into an arcade stick.

Hori Fighting Commander 4
mUABY5bk7MARivljdRiGjgA.jpg

I am using this guide: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/194825/third-party-ps4-padhack-options

to triplemod my current PS3/360 stick to be a PS3/PS4/360 enabled

Will post results as soon as the parts arrive and i weld it together :D

Current status is 1996 Namco equipped with Sanwa parts, Paewang chip, JLF Link, additional Home button and Boon&Harada signatures :D
rgg_stick2.jpg

That looks like a regular RAP, not a Kai variant. Methinks there is a little confusion about branding up in here.

Yeah, got my characters messed up.... Definitely the regular non-Kai one. It does, however, appear to be the touch-enabled thin chassis model.

Argh. What happened to the all-black one?

You mean the Amazon.jp-exclusive blue silent one? No plans to officially import that one that I'm aware of so far.

vg260

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the regular Kai artwork and Amazon UK was early (first?) to get official art out. US importing is just a matter of time I think.

Hm, will wait and see I guess. I'll probably just get the first of the two Horis that are available to order in the US. Thanks for the heads-up regardless.

arit

Ok, finally someone (Hori) released an easy and relatively cheap 3rd party PS4 pad that can be modified into an arcade stick.

Hori Fighting Commander 4
mUABY5bk7MARivljdRiGjgA.jpg

I am using this guide: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/194825/third-party-ps4-padhack-options

to triplemod my current PS3/360 stick to be a PS3/PS4/360 enabled

Will post results as soon as the parts arrive and i weld it together :D

Current status is 1996 Namco equipped with Sanwa parts, Paewang chip, JLF Link, additional Home button and Boon&Harada signatures :D
rgg_stick2.jpg

The FGC sure took their time to notice that little low priced pad with the superb pcb, but given that most retail sticks cost cost 150+ nowadays I suppose most don't question the sanity of using a $70 DS4 and instead start to look for alternatives (or it's the usual world starts at east- and ends at west coast thing where nothing besides the DS4 exists).

I wished though one producer would just sell an even better licensed pcb just made for the sake of putting it into a custom stick without the need to throw away useless plastic. Perhaps it could even revive the custom stick market that goes beyond the $250 mass produced but easy to access artwork cover monsters we have today. Wait, make that $300 because some don't like the stock sticks/buttons and might want to exchange them later.

Well, the cloud is gone so I suppose it's time to stop yelling.

vg260

Was there official word that the Kai is US-bound, or is that just expected with the UK release?

I've been checking, but it never was mentioned for the US yet, barely more than the Amazon UK listing even.

Anyone know how wide that V5 shell being used is compared to a TE2?

Skilletor

The FGC sure took their time to notice that little low priced pad with the superb pcb, but given that most retail sticks cost cost 150+ nowadays I suppose most don't question the sanity of using a $70 DS4 and instead start to look for alternatives (or it's the usual world starts at east- and ends at west coast thing where nothing besides the DS4 exists).

I wished though one producer would just sell an even better licensed pcb just made for the sake of putting it into a custom stick without the need to throw away useless plastic. Perhaps it could even revive the custom stick market that goes beyond the $250 mass produced but easy to access artwork cover monsters we have today. Wait, make that $300 because some don't like the stock sticks/buttons and might want to exchange them later.

Well, the cloud is gone so I suppose it's time to stop yelling.

Revive?

http://foehammershop.com/
http://www.anomalyarcadesticks.com/
http://www.b15sdmdesigns.com/
https://www.jasenscustoms.com/Panzer-Fight-Stick.html

Just the four that came to mind. I constantly see them posting pictures and updates. Foehammer is actually a local business. I've got 8 or 9 customs myself, and with padhacks, different consoles providing different amounts of power to USBs, different boards (paewangs, Chimps, Cthulus, PS360s), different sticks (don't even know what's in a Qanba), padhacks and custom pcbs have been far less than reliable. I will never take a custom stick to a tourney ever again after having multiple fail on me for no reason I, Toodles, or the person who wires my sticks could discern. Had a custom at a tourney that worked on every 360 at a tourney except one. At the same tourney, this stick didn't work if a Qanba was plugged in, but worked fine with every other stick. Three different EVOs, three different sticks, three different boards, and I had a problem at each one. Now I just take two mass produced sticks and I never have a problem. Other than carrying multiple sticks. That's a pain in the ass.

You'll forgive me if I prefer my "mass produced stick" that always works when I plug it in, no matter what stick, board, or pcb my opponent is using. :p

Top Bottom