• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Wow Skilletor, great choice on changing the ball top and the start button! So aesthetically pleasing. That diamond is a beauty for sure.

I'm so curious to see more of your stick collection. Any chance you would post any pics?

Edit: lol that's what I get for typing on my phone, I'm so late

Anyone has a picture of what it looks like when you get the Button Label Etching on a plexi from Art's Hobbies? I wonder if I just put the buttons labels on my art or just have it on the plexi. Thanks!

Skilletor

Wow Skilletor, great choice on changing the ball top and the start button! So aesthetically pleasing. That diamond is a beauty for sure.

I'm so curious to see more of your stick collection. Any chance you would post any pics?

Edit: lol that's what I get for typing on my phone, I'm so late

For sure! I love posting pics. :p

I actually just sold a bunch of old sticks I wasn't using to make room for a few new ones.

10959722_540729435060_3577204498961911453_n_zps7owrnpi3.jpg~original

One of my favorite customs. <3 that sanwa balltop.

Those are what's left after getting rid of a bunch of stuff.

I'll post more pics later. About to go to a meeting.

I know that's a limited. Is that the Briarwood one?

Nice, thanks for posting pics! My favorite part of this thread is seeing what people are using and all the customization choices they used. That's a damn fine collection for sure. How the heck do you choose which stick to use for systems you have multiple sticks for?

I know you've been saying your favorite is the vlx but I'm curious what's your preference between the te2/fighting edge/customs/hraps you have?

BOTEC

I need to get off my lazy ass and take an updated "family photo." I think the last time I posted one was back in the old thread.

I need to get off my lazy ass and take an updated "family photo." I think the last time I posted one was back in the old thread.

do it!

I love the stick gallery idea

Agreed. I think we should all post "family photos"! I will post my sticks as soon as my parts get in and I decide final layouts.

I went kind of crazy and overboard. I ordered a seimitsu ls-40 and crown 303 fk. This competes with my Hayabusa that I am trying to silent mod with omron d2rv-g switches and a jlf that I will add the gamerfinger optical switch to. I only have three sticks to place these in, so it will be fun testing these out for preference. #firstworldarcadestickproblems

ban25

I went kind of crazy and overboard. I ordered a seimitsu ls-40 and crown 303 fk. This competes with my Hayabusa that I am trying to silent mod with omron d2rv-g switches and a jlf that I will add the gamerfinger optical switch to. I only have three sticks to place these in, so it will be fun testing these out for preference. #firstworldarcadestickproblems

I've never tried the Crown levers before, let us know how it goes! I have two Seimitsu levers arriving today -- LS-32 & LS-56. I've never used the LS-56 before, so I want to give it a try...whichever setup I like most will end up in the VLXes.

Skilletor

I know that's a limited. Is that the Briarwood one?

Nice, thanks for posting pics! My favorite part of this thread is seeing what people are using and all the customization choices they used. That's a damn fine collection for sure. How the heck do you choose which stick to use for systems you have multiple sticks for?

I know you've been saying your favorite is the vlx but I'm curious what's your preference between the te2/fighting edge/customs/hraps you have?

It is the Briarwood.

Well, after the vlx, my favorite stick is the fightingedge. I play on that when I'm playing on ps360. Now I'm moving to ps4, so I'm using the TE2. I the vlx I use mostly on PC, on my desk.

The reason I have so many sticks is because, first i love them, and second because I host games at my place a lot. So if people don't have sticks, or don't want to carry them around, I always have enough per console to have tons of games going.

Thanks for input on buttons. I'm sure they'll be fine for now I'm not too picky. I plan on picking up a TE2 or one of the new SFV TE's later on down the line for more portability anyways. Gotta take care of my VLX. Hopefully they rerelease the GGXrd stick or bring out a new one.

Coda

It is the Briarwood.

Well, after the vlx, my favorite stick is the fightingedge. I play on that when I'm playing on ps360. Now I'm moving to ps4, so I'm using the TE2. I the vlx I use mostly on PC, on my desk.

The reason I have so many sticks is because, first i love them, and second because I host games at my place a lot. So if people don't have sticks, or don't want to carry them around, I always have enough per console to have tons of games going.

Nice I had a few at one point for sort of the same reason, but I eventually sold them and I just have my Mad Catz Femme Fatale TE that I got at PAX years ago. Had it modded for PS4 by Gummowned so it gets my needs done.

925829_382612441882056_58630808_n.jpg

Somewhat older picture. I no longer have an Xbox One anymore.

I also bought this Namco Cyberlead panel not too long ago and want to make it into a stick eventually. I'm not naturally good with plexiglass or wood building and probably don't have the proper tools so I'd need to know someone who knew what they were doing. Also bought that Sanwa 40' Star balltop from Paradise Arcade shop which was so worth it for this stick.

10654913_588985477895267_1809036189_n.jpg

I exclusively just play fighters on stick. I like playing shmups and other 2D games on my Saturn pad.

For sure! I love posting pics. :p

I actually just sold a bunch of old sticks I wasn't using to make room for a few new ones.

Those are what's left after getting rid of a bunch of stuff.

I'll post more pics later. About to go to a meeting.

Pretty awesome collection. That fighting edge looks so sexy. I hope they re-release one for PS4 sometime soon as I'd love to get one. I know they still sell the white ones but it being PS3 only is making hard to justify spending the cash for it right now with my VLX on the way.

Edzi

That sounds awesome. Since I just recently got interested in fighting games, I don't really know anyone who's into playing them enough to host a game night so I'm stuck playing exclusively online :( . But hopefully at some point I'll be hosting my own and actually getting some practice locally against other similarly scrubby players.

That sounds awesome. Since I just recently got interested in fighting games, I don't really know anyone who's into playing them enough to host a game night so I'm stuck playing exclusively online :( . But hopefully at some point I'll be hosting my own and actually getting some practice locally against other similarly scrubby players.

Don't feel bad I'm the only guy I know who plays fighting games besides my brother. It's not like I don't have people around here to find as I live in SoCal. I just spend my time doing other things and don't really have time to go find other to play with. Most of my playing time is later at night and sometimes on the weekends. If I'm not playing other games I'll play fighters, currently trying to get Dying Light done before Bloodborne. Not having a PS4 stick to play GGXrd makes it a little easier to divide my time.

Sillution

Placed my preorder for the MadCatz Tournament Edition 2 PS4 fight stick on amazon two days ago. Said its supposed to release April 20 when I ordered it, now it says May 30th for when it releases.

Dubz

After bitching about no mic port on the Kai, I have actually fallen in love with this stick. I have no issues with the standard buttons, and the cabinet is fucking solid. Also love the material on the bottom that sticks to my glass coffee table. Highly recommend this stick.

ZeroX03

Banned
That black base makes for a slick look with those colors. Any reason you went with Akishop over focusattack.com? I haven't ordered parts in years so I'm curious.

Thanks! As for buying from Akishop, shipping to Australia from FA is quite expensive, so it would have cost a considerable amount to get anything.

why.gif

Seriously, I don't understand this. I know people have preferences and respect that, but almost every account of anyone I've talked to online, in person, here at work everyone seems to agree the Hayabusa is at least as good as a JLF or better. I've been seeing people convert who have been long-time JLF users.

Why would you do this?! ;_;

Prototype and others have already answered your question, it's far too loose and very loud. I could break into it but I had a spare Sanwa stick lying around so I thought what the heck haha.

Wow, that looks really nice. And holy crap at those bent connectors. Every time I get an envelope stuffed with buttons I'm amazed that they arrived in one piece. Part suppliers need to get their act together when fulfilling orders. These are delicate bits, use a damn box for crying out loud.

Yeah I wasn't too pleased when I saw it. Literally looked as though someone stepped all over the packaging.

ban25

Look what came in the mail!

jql3Xls.jpg

LS-32
LS-56
8 x HBFS-30-G2
1 x HBFS-24
8 x OBSF-30
1 x OBFS-24
9 x Cherry MX Blue microswitches

Look what came in the mail!

jql3Xls.jpg

LS-32
LS-56
8 x HBFS-30-G2
1 x HBFS-24
8 x OBSF-30
1 x OBFS-24
9 x Cherry MX Blue microswitches

How do you like the silent buttons? I never really looked into them but now that the lady goes to sleep earlier than I for work I might be interested in them. Probably going to get cherry blues as I have cherry reds in my keyboard and she doesn't like those too much.

Skilletor

11070631_541768278210_4329129800937737699_n.jpg~original

Got one of the clear sanwa bat tops. Without the adaptor, it sits about 1/4" higher than other bat tops. Haven't played on it yet, but definitely feels odd at first. I think I might like it, but it is different.

ban25

How do you like the silent buttons? I never really looked into them but now that the lady goes to sleep earlier than I for work I might be interested in them. Probably going to get cherry blues as I have cherry reds in my keyboard and she doesn't like those too much.

So far, I prefer the HBFS over everything else out there. That fact that they're quiet is just a very nice bonus. I'm going to swap in the blues soon to give them a try. Obviously those won't be as quiet as the reds, but they shouldn't be as loud as the Sanwas or Kuros, either.

11070631_541768278210_4329129800937737699_n.jpg~original

Got one of the clear sanwa bat tops. Without the adaptor, it sits about 1/4" higher than other bat tops. Haven't played on it yet, but definitely feels odd at first. I think I might like it, but it is different.
If I strip the black paint and polish would my VLX turn into a diamond or is it different metal?

rookiejet

That white(?) and blue VLX is just gorgeous, Skilletor. Jealous af.

I'm enjoying my recently purchased Gamerfinger buttons (Cherry MX red switches) a lot. They are so nice and quiet; their rebound just feels really great under my fingers. I plan on upgrading this Hori VX-SA with a Hayabusa joystick as well, the original Sanwa feels like it's not registering as well from all the falls it broke, haha. (And an home-made FC4 mod down the line too.)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

I honestly think it's currently the best stick for PS4 right now. Will probably change once SFV sticks come out though. I REALLY don't like the TE2 design.

Do you have all of the PS4 sticks? I do. I can rate/rank them based on actual play time and testing if you'd like. Non-bias, of course.

Things are always different depending on your perspective.

MarkMan said they would have a lot of changes a page back. How many changes and how substantial that is? Guess we will find out more towards end of the year I'd assume. I like the TE2 I wonder if they'll try and build on the design into something else or just make small improvements.

We have a lot of things in planning. We are making a range of products, not just a TE2. We want to hit each segment and make sure that people are satisfied regardless of which item they purchase from us.

ban25

We have a lot of things in planning. We are making a range of products, not just a TE2. We want to hit each segment and make sure that people are satisfied regardless of which item they purchase from us.

If you guys made a stick with the same build quality as a VLX, but with a noir layout...that'd be pretty amazing...

ShadyJ

Do you have all of the PS4 sticks? I do. I can rate/rank them based on actual play time and testing if you'd like. Non-bias, of course.

Which thickness plexi can i expect from my Japan exclusive yellow TE2 Mark?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If you guys made a stick with the same build quality as a VLX, but with a noir layout...that'd be pretty amazing...

To be honest I don't think the "build quality of the VLX" communicates much. What do you mean exactly? Price range wise, I don't think we'll ever make a $300 stick. So if you mean the size/stability of the VLX, that is out the window at this time.

Which thickness plexi can i expect from my Japan exclusive yellow TE2 Mark?

The thinner one.

ban25

To be honest I don't think the "build quality of the VLX" communicates much. What do you mean exactly? Price range wise, I don't think we'll ever make a $300 stick. So if you mean the size/stability of the VLX, that is out the window at this time.

Yeah, I'm thinking of something that mimics the control panel of a TTT2 cabinet in the way a VLX does for the Taito machines.

Obviously, with an IP like SFV, it's important to hit the low and mid-range of the market since the game has such broad appeal and many players just starting out balk at the idea of a $200 stick, let alone $300.

I hope you guys bring back a VS type of stick that was one of my favorites and is usually my go to stick on PS3. Would love one like it for PS4.

RedSquare

What do you think he or most people mean when they speak of the "build quality of the VLX"? Working in the industry and having almost every arcade stick in existence, I think you know.

When "I" speak of VLX build quality, I talking about it's build of materials.

If Mad Catz won't match it's size, what about the amount of steel used, quality fasteners, clean design, etc..etc...

ShadyJ

The thinner one.

Thanks for the reply.

This is a big resounding no. I can tell you that I have a very limited scope and you're right, I don't have the full perspective.

Honestly, the original hrap4 was a bit underwhelming and I wasn't too interested in the TE2 for 3 reasons: availability, price point and design. The kai came by surprise: my local game store carried it and I took a chance since I needed a 2nd stick for my ps4 anyway. I didn't think it'd be an improvement but it was... At least to me. The 2 major problems out of the box though: I'm not completely sold on either the hayabusa nor the kuros yet.

Humor us then...let's see those rankings please.

Here's my opinion without having touched a single PS4 sick...because after all, we have money to spend and our opinions should matter too. Obviously based on stock design/look and color choices only:

1. Hori VLX
2. Hori Rap Kai
3. Madcatz GG Xrd
4. Hori Rap V4 Silent
5. Hori Rap V4
6. Madcatz TE2 USFIV
7. Madcatz TE2 Japan exclusive-yellow
8. Madcatz TE2 plain
9. Madcatz Persona
10. Hori Dead or Alive
11. Venom

Just my opinion which is gonna be the case with anybody. In terms of playability, response, and how good it feels...that's an open field of opinions on whether you like kuro buttons, sanwa, seimitsu parts, extra wrist space, weight, size, etc. I've never played with a Hayabusa or Kuros but I know I love Sanwa and if I don't like a stock VLX, at least I know I can throw some spare Sanwa parts in there I have lying around and have the best stick on the market for PS4. IMO the closest Madcatz came to this was with that GG Xrd stick which lasted all but a fart in the wind for purchase availability. Not to mention it was missing the touchpad functionality that Hori has in their current models.
I'm a fan of Madcatz's efforts in what they've done to bring arcade sticks mainstream in the USA with the OG TE...don't get lazy though guys. Learn from Hori, they learned from you and are beating you to the punch this gen in visual design and price. If they release a PS4 Fighting Edge, they're stomping you. Kudos to you guys for easy customizability and tying down the Street Fighter license again though.

Sillution

What would be the difference between the Hori Kai fight stick vs the new mad catz TE2 ps4 fight stick? Do they use the same joystick gate?

braves01

Banned
What would be the difference between the Hori Kai fight stick vs the new mad catz TE2 ps4 fight stick? Do they use the same joystick gate?

Both use a square gate, but they have different sticks--Hori uses a Hayabusa, Mad Catz uses a Sanwa JLF. Both are good sticks. Mad Catz uses Sanwa buttons as well, while Hori uses their own Kuro buttons. Opinions on the Kuros are mixed, while Sanwas are generally praised. Hori also has a touchpad on the Kai, which the TE2 lacks.

Hopefully that bit of info helps you out.

vg260

Very few people realistically are going to have hands on access to all of them to compare, so if they do their research, I don't think it invalidates a value proposition opinion. I've owned 4 different models of MC sticks as various points, so with the TE2 having the same Sanwa parts, I think I had a decent idea of what to expect out of the TE2 without having touched one. I was not a fan of the price point, the lack of extra button functionality, and the plexi design where the buttons sit inside of the plexi cutouts. For me the Kai is the best buy out right now, but I'm probably in the segment Mad Catz is not hitting with the TE2. I'm glad MC is going to address that with multiple upcoming lines, but at least for me, it's too late unfortunately.

I actually tried to buy the GGXrd stick, but the MC site flaked out despite me trying the minute it went up the second time. Otherwise, I would own one.

Top Bottom