• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Teknoman

R-Gun Rivale!!

giphy.gif

EDIT: Oh wow, I actually did it. Onward and upwards.

Tsukumo

Is it normal that Supa Robo blog hasn't updated in a month? Even the twitter on the official SRW site is frozen at Tengoku release date.

Well it's normal that they have a bit of a breathing room between their latest release and the start of the marketing campaign for the next one.

But I don't follow their blog/twitter so I am not sure how those work.

CorvoSol

Been playing SRW J cuz English and I'm coming out of chapter 8 with two impressions:

1. Calvina is about a million times better as a protagonist than Touya. Touya wasn't terrible, but he was generic as fuck. Why go through the high school robot pilot thing when we have a billion already?

2. Man I miss UC Gundam. CE suits are cool but like, I forgot how awful the character art was and I find myself constantly questioning why they do what they do. Why is Kira given so much special treatment when literally the entire crew of the Nadesico is teenage soldiers? And what difference does being a Coordinator really make in a game where Kouji Kabuto in all his glory exists?

Similarly been playing Alpha 1 and OG 1, and although I like that you can equip weapons onto your mechs in OG 1, I gotta ask why the animations for both Alpha and OG are so much worse than they are in J. Is it just that J came so much later on? The mechs barely move in Alpha.

Also wish Alpha had an English menu patch. Maybe it does and I've just not looked.

squall23

will probably have more interesting roster than Z3
Take with salt
■参戦作品リスト
聖戦士ダンバイン
Story of Aura Battler Dunbine
絶対無敵ライジンオー
勇者王ガオガイガー
劇場版 機動戦士ガンダムOO
機動戦士ガンダムUC
劇場版マクロスF
真マジンガー 衝撃!Z編
マジンカイザーSKL
機動戦艦ナデシコ

■「スパロボ」シリーズ初登場
マクロス30
機動戦士ガンダムAGE
SDガンダム外伝
機甲界ガリアン
巨神ゴーグ

If true, then you're right. It is more interesting than Z3 because it has both a Yuusha and an Eldoran series in one game and Shin Mazinger and SKL meeting each other.

Seriously, you guys have no idea how long I've waited for Raijin-Oh to be in 2D with dynamic kills.

Also, AGE seems to start at Kio arc......... pfffthahahahahahahahahah! Calling duckroll!

Sinople

Similarly been playing Alpha 1 and OG 1, and although I like that you can equip weapons onto your mechs in OG 1, I gotta ask why the animations for both Alpha and OG are so much worse than they are in J. Is it just that J came so much later on? The mechs barely move in Alpha.
Yes, Alpha released in 2000, OG in 2002, J in 2005.
Alpha was also the first to have animated sprites so while it may look dated now it was really impressive at the time of release.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Time for another low budget SRW to bring in dat money. =o

Unfortunately, also another SRW I can't friggin import.
Stupid 3DS region locking.

EDIT: Wait... Macross 30? Isn't that the PS3 game? (ie: there's no anime/manga of it)

Shouta

Shin Mazinger and SKL being in one game is pretty cool. I guess Mac 30 and F too.

Galerian, Gorg, and Raijin-Oh are the real winners tho.It seems like they're gonna use the same animation style as UX, i.e. the one they've been using for I don't know how long, lol

Bebpo

Banned
Cool. I'm still working my way through Z3-2, but always nice to have a new SRW to look forward to afterwards. I actually liked UX a bit outside of the bloat and slower pacing. The OG plot was pretty good and SD Gundam was awesome as was Demonsbane and Linebarrels manga.

And I'm glad we're finally getting AGE, I'm not glad that they're skipping AGE1/2 because that's where most of the fun units are. Plus I'd like to see a re-written AGE epic story that's actually decent since the concept of a 100 year story has potential.
Always enjoy Nadesico, kind of sick of 00 movie now, and totally sick of Mac F, but I understand that just like the DS and GBA SRWs they're gonna re-use the sprites from UX that they can. I wonder if for Gaogaigar they'll be re-using the DS sprites...probably.
The new stuff is cool and I'm fine with Shin Mazinger again in a single game. I'm actually fine with most of the new series from Z2 and Z3 that had their stories split across multiple games to be done in a single game.

Just saw the scans and the new units look pretty good? Like closer to Z2/Z3 visuals than DS/UX. That would be nice.

Bebpo

Banned
Does it say anywhere in the scans if it's gonna be full voice again like UX was? I always imagined the voice acting licensing was pretty expensive and with UX they only did it in hopes it'd sell closer to a mainline SRW.

But since UX didn't and still sold on par with the old DS games and nowhere near the mainline Z games, I'm wondering if they'd actually drop the voice acting for BX. I hope not as even if the animation is kind of budget on these ones, with full voice they feel pretty substantial.

Plus Gaogaigar is so much better with voice. Though, yeah I guess it's not going to go through GGG Final and do the whole story since Final isn't listed? The lack of Final and Prince of Darkness does sort of raise some suspicions that there may be one more 3DS SRW after this that's a semi-sequel.

Bebpo

Banned
Also, I gotta say it's kind of a bummer they started with 00 Movie and so the only time we ever got Gundam 00 S1 was in Z2-1. I'd like to see that a few more times as 00 S1 is quite good and has the best Exia and mech designs. They could even do the 00 Manga along with it like how W did SEED Astray along with SEED.

Jubern

I was on the fence all the way until the actual release of UX but eventually bought it and loved it, so I'm kind of looking forward to BX...

I have waaaaay less free time on my hands compared to 2 years ago though... I barely started Tengoku-hen (did clear Rengoku I guess) so it probably won't be a day 1 for me.

Bebpo

Banned
So basically you start with AGE3 Gundam, get a few upgrade attacks and then get AGE-FX upgrade halfway. Fairly typical for srw.

I guess if they started at the beginning and you got like 7 unit upgrades in a single game it'd be a lot of work for them. Would be cool if AGE1 and AGE2 were secret units at least.

Curious how OP3 and OP4 translate into srw bgm.

Reishiki

Banned
Though, yeah I guess it's not going to go through GGG Final and do the whole story since Final isn't listed? The lack of Final and Prince of Darkness does sort of raise some suspicions that there may be one more 3DS SRW after this that's a semi-sequel.

Has GGG ever appeared in SRW without FINAL? Might be interesting to see the Zonuda Robo as a final boss as opposed to one stomped during the mid-game. Lack of PoD makes me think of 'Obvious Gai Secret'.

Bebpo

Banned
Has GGG ever appeared in SRW without FINAL? Might be interesting to see the Zonuda Robo as a final boss as opposed to one stomped during the mid-game. Lack of PoD makes me think of 'Obvious Gai Secret'.

Yeah, its debut game, @2 was not only GGG TV, but it only went 50% through the TV show. @3 did the 2nd half of the TV show -> Final OAV.

Reishiki

Banned
Yeah, its debut game, @2 was not only GGG TV, but it only went 50% through the TV show. @3 did the 2nd half of the TV show -> Final OAV.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot Touma's route starts with the Primevals levelling GGG's HQ building (I started the Alpha series at 3).

Bebpo

Banned
Couple things occurred to me:

-Since we're Z3-2 and BX pretty close to each other this year, it's going to be a while before we get a licensed SRW again after this (outside maybe a 3d game but those hardly count). Next year will probably be 3rd OGs and maybe a new 3d game from the N64/DC/GC/X360/OE team, and then in 2017 maybe the next game from the Z team, but maybe they take 3 years and the UX/BX team is taking 3 years between games so that'd put both not until 2018. So all those mecha shows of the last 5+ years that still haven't shown up in SRW yet, like Broken Blade, Star Driver, Majestic Prince, Valvrave, Rinne, Build Fighters S1 & S2, G Reco, Captain Earth, Aldnoah Zero, etc... gonna be years before we just see a few of them show up in the next licensed game. I remember when Z2 came out and before UX it felt like SRW Team had pretty much caught up to mecha anime since mecha shows had been dying out in popularity and numbers and Z2 had most of the major new additions of the last few years (00 Gundam, Geass, Gurren, Mac F). At least now they're behind again so they have enough new entry series for 2-3 games easily for recent stuff.

-Second thought is if we're getting a 2-3 year complete break in licensed SRW after BX, I really hope they use this time as kind of a reboot and Drop Mac F already. The story sucks, the characters are lame, the mecha are ok but there's no interesting mechs outside of Alto and we've seen its attacks half a dozen times already (best animation is still the first Z2-1 animation revealed where the attack ends with him standing on top of the enemy and firing a flurry down into it with a point range cutin. So good. They never beat that). Mac F being in every game is even worse than SEED Destiny being in every game since at least Destiny has a few unique mechs. But yeah, please use this gap to drop Mac F and SEED (and 00 Movie while you're at it; 3 games in a row is enough for a shitty movie and not that great mecha). And if they're gonna use Unicorn a few more times then at least start with First Gundam and do UC properly into Unicorn. But yeah, out of all the stuff that keeps coming back, Mac F and SEED are the worst and if there's a break it needs to be saying goodbye to those two. At least BX finally got rid of Dancouga Nova!

squall23

Couple things occurred to me:

-Since we're Z3-2 and BX pretty close to each other this year, it's going to be a while before we get a licensed SRW again after this (outside maybe a 3d game but those hardly count).
Hey, I would gladly take a NEO 2 if it meant the tweaked gameplay system is even better and more innovative than it already was in NEO with just as amazing of a cast as the original.

NEO would`ve had the greatest cast list ever had they gotten Rayearth, Wataru and Granzort like they originally intended.

Reishiki

Banned
-Second thought is if we're getting a 2-3 year complete break in licensed SRW after BX, I really hope they use this time as kind of a reboot and Drop Mac F already. The story sucks, the characters are lame, the mecha are ok but there's no interesting mechs outside of Alto and we've seen its attacks half a dozen times already (best animation is still the first Z2-1 animation revealed where the attack ends with him standing on top of the enemy and firing a flurry down into it with a point range cutin. So good. They never beat that). Mac F being in every game is even worse than SEED Destiny being in every game since at least Destiny has a few unique mechs. But yeah, please use this gap to drop Mac F and SEED (and 00 Movie while you're at it; 3 games in a row is enough for a shitty movie and not that great mecha). And if they're gonna use Unicorn a few more times then at least start with First Gundam and do UC properly into Unicorn. But yeah, out of all the stuff that keeps coming back, Mac F and SEED are the worst and if there's a break it needs to be saying goodbye to those two. At least BX finally got rid of Dancouga Nova!

As much as I like Macross F, I think you're right. We've seen it recently in L and UX on handhelds, plus Z3. If BX does include Macross 30, we might see Macross F as a post plot, or something incorporating M30's time-travel plot weirdness, which might include the other Macross series by proxy. I do like the 00 Movie machines (especially Zabanya), but yeah, it's getting kinda tired at this point.

SEED Destiny isn't quite as bad as Z gave it a good showing, and post-plotting it in UX and handing Shinn over to the Fafner cast was a pretty good move, so much so that I just set the Destiny units BGM to Shangri-la/Sokyuu. Strike Freedom shows up just in time to be a MAPW machine for ELS stages.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I miss Nadesico, glad to see it coming back, but I don't have Jpn 3ds. This is unfortunate.

I don't see the nadesico movie being in the list, does that mean they are saving it for the sequel?

squall23

I miss Nadesico, glad to see it coming back, but I don't have Jpn 3ds. This is unfortunate.

I don't see the nadesico movie being in the list, does that mean they are saving it for the sequel?
There's not going to be a sequel to this game just as this game isn't a sequel to UX. Nadesico doesn't have the movie, GGG doesn't have FINAL. That's all there is to it.

Bebpo

Banned
There's not going to be a sequel to this game just as this game isn't a sequel to UX. Nadesico doesn't have the movie, GGG doesn't have FINAL. That's all there is to it.

There are still fake sequels like the W->K->L games which aren't related but re-use sprites and sometimes continue to new stuff.

Just means the next 3DS SRW might have PoD and GGG Final by re-using the sprites from BX.

Bebpo

Banned
Damn, yeah BX has way better choreography than Z3 lol It's been a while since we had good choreography action. I mean SKL with the slow motion freeze frames is way better than UX even with the same sprites basically. Same with QUAN[T] which has the same shitty sprite but all the kinetic action looks great.

Knight Gundam's attack is what I've missed from SRW: Zooming around at high speed doing acrobatics and flashy finishers. But then W had great choreographed action animations, so it makes sense.

Definitely looking forward to this one! AGE3 definitely looks cell-shaded. And Unicorn's standing sprite is really shitty too low resolution (but the unicorn attack was good).

Top Bottom