• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Shouta

Original mech is called Falsaber and its rival is call Blue Victor. The pilots are whatever but the robot itself has an AI/is intelligent/whatever which makes it different than most protag robots up until this point. Cool.

Edit: Wtf, Zegapain in Omega? PUT IT IN A REAL SRW YOU JERKS >=|

Bebpo

Banned
You are breaking my heart :(
I would pay mad money to get a remake. Betterman, Escaflowne, Dunbine recap, Yardabaoth, Mechander HHNNNNNNGGGG!

Oh man, that would be good!

Why do we keep getting GGG (which I'm fine with because GGG is awesome) but not GGG + Betterman?

CorvoSol

Oh man, that would be good!

Why do we keep getting GGG (which I'm fine with because GGG is awesome) but not GGG + Betterman?

nobody really wants to acknowledge that Final's creepy fetishism reached extremely unhealthy heights in Betterman is why.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm still getting it. Have like 8 maps left in Z3-2 (on Stage 55 out of 62 now and there's only 1 route split with 1 stage left), so will probably finish Z3-2 a day or two before I get BX, but yeah after Z3-2's slog I'm not touching BX with a ten foot pole for another 6-12 months.

Tsukumo

Thoughts on Alpha 3?

PROS

- cool story.
- memorable final boss design (mech/character).
- best dynamic kills ever.
- Ideon.
- average difficulty.
- great originals.Dairaioo rules.

CONS

- too much space dedicated to (enemy) originals.
- Evangelion, Seed sprites and animations are godawful. Except, obviously, the dynamic kills.
- squad system.
- Too much Basara.

Teknoman

PROS

- cool story.
- memorable final boss design (mech/character).
- best dynamic kills ever.
- Ideon.
- average difficulty.
- great originals.Dairaioo rules.

CONS

- too much space dedicated to (enemy) originals.
- Evangelion, Seed sprites and animations are godawful. Except, obviously, the dynamic kills.
- squad system.
- Too much Basara.

Like Z, there a giant print out I can use to read the story as I go? Almost have my PS2 set up to play imports, so hoping it should after all these years. I mean if not, i'm sure i'll still enjoy it for the gameplay, and I know the wiki has the menu translations.

Bebpo

Banned
Alpha 3 is cool for GGG Final and the OG Mechs are pretty sweet (Kaneko-mechs are the best). What's not cool is the 4 unit squad system which is a pain to manage and makes maps boring and all about map attacks, a ridiculously easy difficulty level, and the game is too long and too OG-focused.

squall23

Better question after Z3-2 is anyone even in the mood to play this?
2D Raijin-Oh
Potentially voiced Gen and GouRyuJin
Potentially more Blockaded Numbers stuff like Grand Pressure
Genocidal Flit (seriously, genocide truly was the correct answer, would be great if Flit gets a nuke of some sort in the game)
SD Knight
Awesome rendition of Aurora

What's not to like?

Bebpo

Banned
Finished Tengoku and put up my thoughts in the main thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175581507&postcount=352

Was ok, but 2nd OGs and UX were far more satisfying in the end from a story perspective. I really hope BX turns out to be a great SRW, but who knows these days.

I also really hope the next mainline game is not split into two games again. But I fear there's no coming back from the 2-game splits for big budget SRW from now on because they're just too expensive to make and don't sell as much as they used to :\

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, the more I think about it, Z3 Tengoku as a game is fine, but the OG plot (which is the story of the entire game) has to be the most disappointing finale to a long running series since MGS4. Everything was wasted potential. I mean 2 Sphere Holders were freaking ships that just shot some lasers or goo beams.

And don't even get me started on the budget issues of teasing units with having them show up on the map as unit icons, but then have them leave before you can use them or they can attack you, so they don't have actual sprites :| Game is so undercooked. I feel like if they released a director's cut a year later you'd have these units be actual real units.

I really hope they give the next mainline game sufficient time to cook and re-energize. I remember how excited Terada was leading up to Z2's release and then how deathly silent and depressed he was leading up to Z3's. By the release of Tengoku Terada just sounded tired like "finally finishing up these long ass series with Coffin of the End and Tengoku-hen" and his blogs about BX have mainly just been "ok, here's a new SRW, here's a new trailer, here's how the systems work" which don't really inspire me a lot. I want to see Terada excited for something again. I think he's pretty burnt out (and maybe a lot of the SRW team), so maybe it's time to reboot SRW with the next mainline game. Like actually change shit up and let the team do something that excites them and include a bunch of anime that they're excited to have included and make sprites to.

But nah, realistically speaking Namco will be Scamco and will keep pumping them out, cutting budgets, slave-working staff and will drive the series into the ground until it's completely dead and gone.

But it's nice to be optimistic.

Sakura

Better question after Z3-2 is anyone even in the mood to play this?

Not me. Almost none of the series in this title appeal to me. And some of the ones that are there I've already seen a million times these past few years (Macross F...).

Shouta

I started playing BX on the plane back from Japan. I'll write up some thoughts when I'm back in Seattle and not tired

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I started playing BX on the plane back from Japan. I'll write up some thoughts when I'm back in Seattle and not tired

I dont like the MCs robot in BX D: Its too boring and the design isnt that great. Rest of the game is awesome though!

5 chapters in and I can say BX feel like a letdown to me. Animation just feels off. Robot movement looks stiff. Also, no dynamic kills?? It is unfortunate that this game comes after eye feast like Z3.2. The only thing that pleases me right now is it's difficulty. Hopefully it won't drop so soon.

Bebpo

Banned
5 chapters in and I can say BX feel like a letdown to me. Animation just feels off. Robot movement looks stiff. Also, no dynamic kills?? It is unfortunate that this game comes after eye feast like Z3.2. The only thing that pleases me right now is it's difficulty. Hopefully it won't drop so soon.

Wait, I don't believe you on DKs. Z3 was the game that was lacking on DKs, UX had tons of DKs. Would be weird if BX wasn't full of DKs.

And yeah I totally disagree on Z3.2 being an eye-fest outside a handful of units. Stuff like Shin Shoruga and final boss attacks looked so bad and stiff.

Wait, I don't believe you on DKs. Z3 was the game that was lacking on DKs, UX had tons of DKs. Would be weird if BX wasn't full of DKs.

And yeah I totally disagree on Z3.2 being an eye-fest outside a handful of units. Stuff like Shin Shoruga and final boss attacks looked so bad and stiff.

You're entitled to your opinion and that's fine. I prefer Z3.2 animation to BX by a mile. BX just feels dated to me.

About dynamic kill, as of stage 5, even the strongest attack from Gaogaigar doesn't have it. There might be dk later in the game but that's unknown to me atm.

Edit:
Look like I'm wrong on DKs. I tested on grunt units and at least Gaogaigar and Mazinger have it. Weird, I swear I killed one of the boss unit with the same attack but it didn't explode.

You're entitled to your opinion and that's fine. I prefer Z3.2 animation to BX by a mile. BX just feels dated to me.

About dynamic kill, as of stage 5, even the strongest attack from Gaogaigar doesn't have it. There might be dk later in the game but that's unknown to me atm.

Edit:
Look like I'm wrong on DKs. I tested on grunt units and at least Gaogaigar and Mazinger have it. Weird, I swear I killed one of the boss unit with the same attack but it didn't explode.

Maybe it's like L where bosses who retreat can't be DKed.

Shouta

BX animations are way worse than Tengoku-hen overall so far. There are some nice cut-ins that they redrew from the shows but the actual animations aren't super wow at the moment. I had to laugh at the Nadeisco units a little because like the Unlimited Knife animation is literally just a quick flourish at the start but then it's them holding it and them just sliding the sprite along the ground, lol.

There are a few that look good though. 00 Raiser's Trans-Am Attack looks nice and GaoGaiGar's Dividing Driver (which is an AWESOME support command) and Heaven and Hell look like they're from the Show aside from the chibi-ness, lol.

squall23

Much of the budget was clearly spent on the SD Knights and God Raijin-Oh. I will say all the secrets and mecha fanservice are great for this game though. The story elements for the game are also enjoyable such as the interaction between the Mazinger and SKL characters and approval for GENOCIDE.

Bebpo

Banned
Much of the budget was clearly spent on the SD Knights and God Raijin-Oh. I will say all the secrets and mecha fanservice are great for this game though. The story elements for the game are also enjoyable such as the interaction between the Mazinger and SKL characters and approval for GENOCIDE.

UX had good secrets too. Z3 secrets....lol

Shouta

I think the big problem with the sprites is that it's zoomed out too much. Like when the game zooms in to do a cut-in, the sprites look great but at full zoom, they look really meh.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
BX animations are way worse than Tengoku-hen overall so far. There are some nice cut-ins that they redrew from the shows but the actual animations aren't super wow at the moment. I had to laugh at the Nadeisco units a little because like the Unlimited Knife animation is literally just a quick flourish at the start but then it's them holding it and them just sliding the sprite along the ground, lol.

There are a few that look good though. 00 Raiser's Trans-Am Attack looks nice and GaoGaiGar's Dividing Driver (which is an AWESOME support command) and Heaven and Hell look like they're from the Show aside from the chibi-ness, lol.

Am always terrified to use the Nadeisco units as I feel like they are gonna break if the enemy sneezes at them which usually happens if they do get hit lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Ended up playing the first few stages. Game's cool. I like the handheld ones because there's less text/text/text and I like UX/BX so far compared to Z because it's not so DEAD.SERIOUS.OG, it's nice just having a fun SRW crew.

But yeah the sprites are oddly small. I popped UX back in and in UX they're small but usually the camera would zoom in and make them bigger when they started their attack.

I think the animations are pretty solid for a handheld/mobile game. If some of this stuff really was 3d cell-shaded based, I'm impressed and am totally ok with them going in that direction for the series.

It's so nice having the good Shin Mazinger BGM back again. I really wish Z3 hadn't ditched some of the Z2 BGMs.

Uh, so going by the intro, are we starting Nadesico pretty far into the story already? I don't mind Mazinger SKL being post-story since UX just did it, and I don't mind Shin Mazinger being somewhere into the story (although I wouldn't have minded starting from scratch again), but Nadesico hasn't been in a SRW in a long while, so was hoping they were going to do the whole TV storyline. Not sure how I feel about this new style standalone SRW that starts midway through anime stories (like AGE on its 3rd act). I don't remember UX really doing that for anything.

Shouta

Nadeisco starts post-expedition to Mars. It makes sense from a story perspective actually and you'll see why when they start discussing a bit about what's going on in the story.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, but starting post Gai-death is lame. It'd be like if they put Gurren Lagann in a handheld srw and started at the space arc.

At least Mac F is post-story and they build it into Mac 30. I'm so goddamn sick of Mac F.

But yeah, this game is much more fun than Tengoku so far. Enemies actually move around instead of a static sprite that just shoots a beam. And there's some actual challenge which is cool. Oh and it has good music, that's always important for a srw.

Top Bottom