• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, figured out what my problem is with the shin mazinger, unicorn, giant gorg sprites, the thin realistic non-sd proportions look really weird/bad with low res small sprites. Great animation, but for 3ds I'd rather they go with more SD look.

Reishiki

Banned
Ok, figured out what my problem is with the shin mazinger, unicorn, giant gorg sprites, the thin realistic non-sd proportions look really weird/bad with low res small sprites. Great animation, but for 3ds I'd rather they go with more SD look.

The handheld artists do this occasionally, just look at Granteed Dracodeus in J, that is one busy-looking sprite.

Shouta

Yeah, the sprites are pretty woof looking. The animation isn't very good individually but the choreography makes up for it where Z3 has more subdued choreography but better looking individual animation, IMO.

I really wish they could find a happy medium for that, lol. Also, they totally are using the Z3 sprite style looking at some units like Raijin-oh and etc.

Yeah its rather unimpressive visually.

Oh well now to wait 2 more months until the OG reveal.

Honestly none of that even matters to me, but sticking to the skill parts is kind of disappointing. It seems like they just don't care about the gameplay or balance for hand held titles. I'd settle for the map/scenario design and enemy deployments to be slightly more interesting than the dreadfully boring ones in UX.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, the sprites are pretty woof looking. The animation isn't very good individually but the choreography makes up for it where Z3 has more subdued choreography but better looking individual animation, IMO.

I really wish they could find a happy medium for that, lol. Also, they totally are using the Z3 sprite style looking at some units like Raijin-oh and etc.

Yeah, ideally I'd like nice sprites + great animation + great dynamic choreography. But at the end of the day that SD Knight Gundam looks better than 90% of the attacks in Z3 Tengoku so I guess for me the dynamic attacks are more important. The little touches like how Knight Gundam throws up the Lance which spins around and then catches it, then goes in for the attack, then jumps back and does a flurry of attacks before the finisher just looks amazing.

Even Quan[T] which has the shittiest sprite ever in UX/BX and very little actual animation's attack looks pretty badass because of the speed of the attack which feels like the speed and force a Gundam in Trans-am mode should have while attacking.

One of the problems with Tengoku is that it's too realistic. Everything is slow and has more natural weight. Fuck that, I want crazy fast robot action in my srw.

squall23

of the problems with Tengoku is that it's too realistic. Everything is slow and has more natural weight. Fuck that, I want crazy fast robot action in my srw.
Now, I think that works great in certain situations. Fortegigas's animations for example felt very "weighty" but it made it look so menacing. The animations made Fortegigas feel like this impossibly combined.... "thing" that will kick your ass if you look at it funny.

Couldn't really get excited for this after playing Z3. IQ is night and day.

But I will probably play it anyway since... well I basically played every SRW game.

Reishiki

Banned
Even Quan[T] which has the shittiest sprite ever in UX/BX and very little actual animation's attack looks pretty badass because of the speed of the attack which feels like the speed and force a Gundam in Trans-am mode should have while attacking.

Have we seen the BX Qan[T] sprite? The one in the trailer was the 00 Raiser particle tank version, because Sets just has to have some sort of upgrade every time the 00 movie comes up.

Bebpo

Banned
Have we seen the BX Qan[T] sprite? The one in the trailer was the 00 Raiser particle tank version, because Sets just has to have some sort of upgrade every time the 00 movie comes up.

My bad, sprites was so small and moved so fast I couldn't even tell it was the 00 Unit. Sprite and animation frames still sucked but attack was great thanks to speed and choreography.

Reishiki

Banned
My bad, sprites was so small and moved so fast I couldn't even tell it was the 00 Unit. Sprite and animation frames still sucked but attack was great thanks to speed and choreography.

Raiser wasn't great in UX either, but that Trans-Am attack was a lot better. Hopefully we'll see some tuneups on reused sprites.

Teknoman

Is Gunleon an original, or featured in a series somewhere? Happened to catch a video of it from Z, but cant find any more info on it.

Also from Alpha Gaiden, would you go to Z2 or to OG 2nd (gameplay mechanic wise)?

Pehesse

Is Gunleon an original, or featured in a series somewhere? Happened to catch a video of it from Z, but cant find any more info on it.

Also from Alpha Gaiden, would you go to Z2 or to OG 2nd (gameplay mechanic wise)?

Gunleon's an original, from Z1. Appears for a little while in Z2.2, too, and in Z3.2, both in Rengoku and Tengoku-Hen. It's a melee focused unit fitted with natural repair abilities, making it quite a beast, if you'll allow the pun.
From Alpha Gaiden, I'd go for Z2, as it's quite close gameplay-wise (single units only), compared to OG2nd's twin system. However, both choices are worth your time IMHO!

Teknoman

Gunleon's an original, from Z1. Appears for a little while in Z2.2, too, and in Z3.2, both in Rengoku and Tengoku-Hen. It's a melee focused unit fitted with natural repair abilities, making it quite a beast, if you'll allow the pun.
From Alpha Gaiden, I'd go for Z2, as it's quite close gameplay-wise (single units only), compared to OG2nd's twin system. However, both choices are worth your time IMHO!

Ah cool. And yeah Gunleon is a beast to be sure. Might've knocked Cybuster out of my favorite Banpresto Original from watching that one video from Z2. Also Makenaize! Gunleon is just too damn catchy.

I really could see it as the intro theme to a show lol. Who creates the ideas for the originals anyway? Banpresto's own staff, or artists from other well known series?

Reishiki

Banned
Who creates the ideas for the originals anyway? Banpresto's own staff, or artists from other well known series?

I think most of the artists have worked on other mecha series or other shows. Hajime Katoki (Gundam Sentinel, Virtual-On) designed the Huckebein series, for example.

Teknoman

I think most of the artists have worked on other mecha series or other shows. Hajime Katoki (Gundam Sentinel, Virtual-On) designed the Huckebein series, for example.

Makes sense, would be nice to see more Virtual On styled mecha.

On that note, anyone here a terrain rating for dummies explanation?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense, would be nice to see more Virtual On styled mecha.

On that note, anyone here a terrain rating for dummies explanation?

Terrain Ratings for the main mech stats only affect movement. E being worst, S being best. The higher the rating, the easier it is for the mech to move through it. The four terrains being Ground, Underwater, Air, and Space.

Terrain Ratings for weapons affect damage and whether or not they actually can be used in said terrains. Best example are most of the standard beam weapons. You'll notice that the Terrain Rating for them is pretty bad. If you try shooting something that's in water, you'll notice damage would be less as opposed to you shooting something that's not in water. Note that it applies to what you're actually attacking, where your unit is has no bearing on the Terrain bonus/penalty.

That's pretty much it. I've typed this all from memory, and I have no idea if they've changed any mechanics in the last couple of SRW games, but as far as I know, Terrain mechanics have always been this way.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Don't Beam attacks also do reduced damage in the water? Or is that only for things like barriers and such that activate versus Beam type attacks?

That's what I said in my post yeah. Again, that's only if you're shooting INTO water. If you're in water, and shooting out of it, the beam damage is normal.

As far as I'm aware, unless water is involved, there's not really much else to the Terrain stats for weapons. I really don't recall instances where weapons tend to do better or worse in Air or Space, it always seems to be all about Water.

Also, you might see a " -- " instead of a letter rating for Terrain, all that really means is that you cant use that particular attack at all against that Terrain.
Good example for that is if you're using a ground unit that cant fly, and you try to do a melee attack against a flying unit, you'll notice you can't attack anything in the air. This doesn't apply to ALL units on the ground though, so just pay attention to the Terrain stats.

Bebpo

Banned
That's what I said in my post yeah. Again, that's only if you're shooting INTO water. If you're in water, and shooting out of it, the beam damage is normal.

As far as I'm aware, unless water is involved, there's not really much else to the Terrain stats for weapons. I really don't recall instances where weapons tend to do better or worse in Air or Space, it always seems to be all about Water.

Also, you might see a " -- " instead of a letter rating for Terrain, all that really means is that you cant use that particular attack at all against that Terrain.
Good example for that is if you're using a ground unit that cant fly, and you try to do a melee attack against a flying unit, you'll notice you can't attack anything in the air. This doesn't apply to ALL units on the ground though, so just pay attention to the Terrain stats.

Really? I always though damage was gimped going both into water and out of water.

Pehesse

Terrain Ratings for the main mech stats only affect movement. E being worst, S being best. The higher the rating, the easier it is for the mech to move through it. The four terrains being Ground, Underwater, Air, and Space.

Terrain Ratings for weapons affect damage and whether or not they actually can be used in said terrains. Best example are most of the standard beam weapons. You'll notice that the Terrain Rating for them is pretty bad. If you try shooting something that's in water, you'll notice damage would be less as opposed to you shooting something that's not in water. Note that it applies to what you're actually attacking, where your unit is has no bearing on the Terrain bonus/penalty.

That's pretty much it. I've typed this all from memory, and I have no idea if they've changed any mechanics in the last couple of SRW games, but as far as I know, Terrain mechanics have always been this way.

That's right (though I can't remember E ratings in recent outings?). I'd add that terrain ratings are a product of the mech's and pilot's, as well, rounded down for most of the latest games. For instance, if the mech as an A in Ground, but the pilot only has B, A+B will only result in B (meaning the mech is not used optimally). This mostly factors in when you're trying to get S rankings working properly, as you'll need to mind who has what, where.

As for units hitting in sub-optimal terrain placement, there are also quite a few instances of ground-based mech hitting air with lousy results (dai guard and big o in the Z series, for instance - it's no "-", but it's C, meaning hitting often in the low 1000's instead of 4000's). There are also notable deficiencies in space in some games, for instance K, where all of the King Gainer cast has visibly lower performance (both mobility and attack) in any space stage unless their space terrain rating is upgraded. Getter is another unit example where terrain rating is something to keep in mind to get the best performance (even though Getter-1 being A or S in air means it's often the most practical choice - if you *have* to land it, though, like in those Nadesico stages in A/A portable where the airspace is forbidden, you're better off switching to Getter-2). Some units also have native flying abilities but lower air performance (generally B), such as Gurren Lagann or Gunleon in the latest Z's, in which case, it's better to ground them - they suck less EN this way, too!

Overall, to be safe, I'd say to keep in mind that D is useless, C is not/barely workable, B is below average/mediocre performance, A is what you want to aim for most of the time, and S is for when you want to get some extra oomph, or have everything else you need already, or are playing a no upgrades mode but still using parts.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I always though damage was gimped going both into water and out of water.

I havent played the last 3 SRW games, so not sure if they decided to muck with the mechanics, but I think it's just gimped when you shoot INTO water.

Someone pull out their latest SRW game and test this please.

Man finding screenshots is hard, ok here is how it works.

image6.png

Top left corner with all the attack lists. Along with all the useful stuff like chance to hit/crit in the bottom right corner there are terrain ratings for each attack. Air: A Ground: A Water:B Space: A I imagine that yes this only applies to the terrain in which the target of the attack is rather than it's origin point.

All of that is fairly normal. Then as previously mentioned there is the mech/pilot terrain ratings. Those I believe effect chances to hit/miss when attacking and defending and possibly other things. Yes they are a combined product of the mech's stats along with the pilots.

Additionally they don't have anything to do with movement at all. Whatsoever.

6-bossnuclearmissile.jpg

See how there is a "Type" in the upper left right corner? That determines the terrain in which the unit can move. Air means air only. It can't be on the ground, underground, only air. In games with squad systems an air unit will obviously be forced to the ground but there will be penalties to mobility/defense I think. Yes there is also a movement penalty for units in a terrain in which they aren't suited for. I am not sure how it works for space exactly, I think all the units still get their default movement range in space?

cntr

Banned
So, I've been thinking about this for a while...

What shows would you put into a SRW created specifically for a western release? Using Western mecha, with possibly Japanese mecha from anime willing to release in the west.

I've thought of a few:
Transformers (cartoon, not Bay)
Megas XLR
Pacific RIm
Zone of the Enders
Battletech/Mechwarrior
Metal Gear
Viewtiful Joe (?)
Armored Core

Loona

What shows would you put into a SRW created specifically for a western release? Using Western mecha, with possibly Japanese mecha from anime willing to release in the west.

I've thought of a few:
Megas XLR
Pacific RIm
Zone of the Enders
Battletech/Mechwarrior
Metal Gear
Viewtiful Joe (?)
Armored Core

Since smaller units like takkaman have made it to SRWs, I'd risk the likes of:
* Terminator - a T-1000 can keep up with a car on foot, would have a hell of a dodge rate
* Robocop - accuracy, maybe the ability to use his interface thingy as a support mechanic
* Short Circuit - Johnny 5! And the other bots from the 1st movie could work as mooks
* Robotech and Voltron, since those are sort of partially western?

cntr

Banned
Robotech and Voltron, since those are sort of partially western?
Harmony Gold will never allow Macross/Robotech, but Voltron, I could see.

I should clarify that Japanese series are allowed too, but only ones that would be possible to license in the US. But I don't know any details regards that, so I haven't picked any.

Reishiki

Banned
I believe all of the series featured in SRW W on the DS had been localized for the US market:

Detonator Orgun
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Getter Robo G / Shin Getter Robo
King of Beasts GoLion (Voltron)
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar FINAL
Martian Successor Nadesico
Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness
Mazinkaiser: Fight to the Death! The Great General of Darkness
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray R
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED X Astray
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Tekkaman Blade (Teknoman)
Tekkaman Blade II

The only ones I'm not sure about there are the Astray manga.

Bebpo

Banned

I've thought of a few:
Megas XLR
Pacific RIm
Zone of the Enders
Battletech/Mechwarrior
Metal Gear
Viewtiful Joe (?)
Armored Core

Everything would need to be from a single company. Western companies don't play nice together and it wouldn't be worth localizing a niche game like SRW if you had to do the legal dance with multiple companies.

So basically, whatever Namco Bandai USA owned and were willing to license for SRW. Gundams and Code Geass and whatever else.

I'm actually kind of surprised they never brought over a G Generation since I'd think that would be doable.

cntr

Banned
Yup. ):

I suppose you could do only video game mecha? Video games crossover all the time, so they should be better with it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually kind of surprised they never brought over a G Generation since I'd think that would be doable.

Oh I would kill for a localized G Generation game. It would probably get pathetically low review scores though.

CorvoSol

Been playing SRW Z3.2

Some of the new stuff is sexy. Zeta Gundam, even stupid worthless ugly pointless dumb nobody gives two shit mook Gundam mecha look so good.

so why the fuck are the Full Metal Panic animations still such crap.

Aside from that, the only level to get to me in less than 10 maps so far was the "defend this line" Gargantia stage. Mostly because I'm stuck trying to defend a very long line with little more than crummy Macross F units.

Teknoman

Considering what rpgs make it outside Japan these days, I refuse to believe an SRT OG wouldn't be profitable. I mean harem / ecchi srpgs but not non tied down robots? Unless they really are that much more profitable / require less effort.

squall23

I believe all of the series featured in SRW W on the DS had been localized for the US market:

Detonator Orgun
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Getter Robo G / Shin Getter Robo
King of Beasts GoLion (Voltron)
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar FINAL
Martian Successor Nadesico
Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness
Mazinkaiser: Fight to the Death! The Great General of Darkness
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray R
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED X Astray
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Tekkaman Blade (Teknoman)
Tekkaman Blade II

The only ones I'm not sure about there are the Astray manga.
Not FINAL.
Considering what rpgs make it outside Japan these days, I refuse to believe an SRT OG wouldn't be profitable. I mean harem / ecchi srpgs but not non tied down robots? Unless they really are that much more profitable / require less effort.
Even if someone were to start translating them again, how would they do it? Skip OGG? Ask Banpresto to uprezz it? Going right into 2ndOG does nobody any favours.

Not FINAL.

Even if someone were to start translating them again, how would they do it? Skip OGG? Ask Banpresto to uprezz it? Going right into 2ndOG does nobody any favours.

I think you'd have to look at as the same situation as the Trails series.

Right now the two Cold Steel games are coming over, even though there's quite a few games inbetween those and Trails in the Sky. But it allows them to stay current since they're the latest games.

Maybe if they're successful they might be able to go back and bring over the games in-between. But getting the latest stuff is much better than getting nothing at all because it would take too long to translate all the way up to the latest titles.

squall23

I think you'd have to look at as the same situation as the Trails series.

Right now the two Cold Steel games are coming over, even though there's quite a few games inbetween those and Trails in the Sky. But it allows them to stay current since they're the latest games.

Maybe if they're successful they might be able to go back and bring over the games in-between. But getting the latest stuff is much better than getting nothing at all because it would take too long to translate all the way up to the latest titles.
I find that analogy incorrect because the Kiseki games mostly aren't directly connected with each other. Whereas OG is one long series of connected events.

Teknoman

Not FINAL.

Im sure they could just toss some primer in as dlc.

At any rate, I need to get back to Alpha Gaiden, then give feeling through OG2nd a shot.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Scans are out with latest SRW BX news, check your usual sources. Shows off the protag, Youta, possible love interest, Yuki, and his mech, FireSaber (Super-type).

Not really feeling the mech....

Tsukumo

2PV out for BX.
They also announced an android APP called Super robot wars Omega, which gives away Sunrise Eiyutan vibes. Looks like doesn't have a single line of voice-acted dialogue though.

2PV impressions:

- definitely don't like the sprites. They basically have no SD proportions at all. They look like shrinked versions of the original sizes.
- animations are unbelievably bad.
- Dunbine is going to get full recap: YYYYYEEAAAAAASSS!
- no sign of Gai (Daigoji).
- I miss so much L animations for Macross F.
- W had better animation for Broken Phantom.
- those awful 3D effects.
- great original mech. Copilot with amnesia though... bleargh.

Loona

Could have posted the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1jKRNv0II8

Was that J's mech from GaoGaiGar using a silver hammer ("silvarion hammer", if I heard it right - would be a counterpart to Gai's Goldion Hammer).
He didn't have that in SRW W, so I assume he didn't have that in the show either... maybe one of those things Banpresto derives from concept art or stuff that didn't mak it past early concept stages?

Edit: nvm, apparently that was a thing, but specific to a PSX game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsowrRGz8e8

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They're using new sprites at least. Apparently they're 3D models turned into sprites.

Yeah kinda iffy but the SD Gundam really stood out. Loved how Knight animated.

Top Bottom