• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Shirke

I never expected that Haken and Aschen would show up in a mainline SRW game, let alone with a full sized Gespenst Phantom carrying a Nightfowl. I should really find a way to play the English version.

Sorry to bother you with this guys but does anyone here know where I can find a good digest/summary/recap/whatever of the OG's/OGG/2ndOG story because I played those a feaking long time ago and I can't remember much, plus I never went far past the LaGias section in 2ndOG.
And I'd like to get back in the series with MD without feeling completely lost.
English or Japanese is fine. Thanks !

Moon Dwellers has an Archive mode like OGs2 did where it recaps all the past games. It'll be in the English release as well.

Tsukumo

Hathaway, KITAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Really happy with the line up. Reminds me a bit of MX: I hope it will turn out more difficult though.

squall23

BLASPHEMY. FIGHT ME.

If and when they put J-Decker in SRW, it has to be in a game where Turn A is in there, for the inevitable uncomfortable cross-dressing crossover scene.
And alongside Patlabor. That should be the most obvious crossover. Then we'll see the shenanigans of Yuuta outranking everybody.

Bebpo

Banned
So now that I've gotten over the initial SRW disappointment that comes with every licensed SRW game announcement these days since they've been half-assing them, after watching the V trailer a few more times I am looking forward to it. The animation on all the new series is solid outside of ZZ and some of the stuff in there is great like Crossbone.

Having Yamato & Might Gaine's stories should be nice, Crossbone is always nice to have. Not all that thrilled to go through Unicorn again, but whatever, it's like 6 maps. The new units like Mazinger Zero should be fun to play with. No Mac F is a blessing and hopefully they won't waste much time on SEED/Zeta/CCA and just stick to Crossbone, Unicorn and ZZ for their Gundam stories. Eva is also whatever but again it'll be like 4 maps since Q has no plot again.

Oh yeah and no Aquarion Evol is nice. No more grunt maps after grunt maps of that one.

Also being only a single game, it should have the best pacing in a SRW in a while. Should be exciting, blow through events and have mid-season upgrades. About the only thing I'm not looking forward to in V is going through ALL of FMP again. I like FMP, but I have bad memories of how many boring grunt wave FMP maps there were in Z3.1 and Z3.2. FMP and Aquarion Evol were like 75% of the maps with just boring grunts. Kind of wish FMP was units only in V, but it is what it is.

Alright, time to get hyped for Moon Dwellers, then will get hyped for V closer to release. Actually, more excited for G-Gen after MD since the new dynamic cell-shaded 3d battles look nice and hopefully G-Gen comes out in the fall.

Reishiki

Banned
X075Ue6.gif

I've been waiting 11 years to see this outside of GBA-o-vision.

Reishiki

Banned
I wonder if they will let us somehow unlock the third select-able mech from J (Coustwell if I remember correctly).

I'm gonna go with 'maybe'.
It might be like the Forte Gigas secret in OGs2, so we might not get the Coustwell, but might get it's midseason upgrade (Coustwell Brachium) towards the end.

SkyOdin

I'm gonna go with 'maybe'.
It might be like the Forte Gigas secret in OGs2, so we might not get the Coustwell, but might get it's midseason upgrade (Coustwell Brachium) towards the end.

The other possibility is that they might go the route they used for the Rathgrith from A and give it to some random other villain or ally. Though it is more likely to be a secret unit, but it feels like it would be an underwhelming secret unit compared to the Raftclans (or however you spell that). And I am sure that the Raftclans will be a secret unit.

Bebpo

Banned
Reading From Software's Miyazaki talking about how he wants to make a game like Escaflowne depressingly reminds me how we still keep not getting Escaflowne in a modern sprite game :(

Escaflowne & Giant Robo complete are my two most wanted classic entries in SRW someday, and no the wonderswan Esca is not good enough for me :p

Van and crew would be a neat cast to interact with the crew. Also it wouldn't be a super expensive series to include since there's not a ton of mechs to animate. Plus they can do Esca TV one game and then Esca movie the next and re-use all the sprites!

I'm guessing though that until Japan decides to reboot Escaflowne someday, it won't be popular enough to put in a srw.

squall23

Escaflowne & Giant Robo complete are my two most wanted classic entries in SRW someday, and no the wonderswan Esca is not good enough for me :p
Giant Robo is stuck in licensing hell apparently. As in the owners aren't playing ball. And at least Escaflowne got into a SRW. There are 2 hugely popular fantasy mecha anime that haven't been in yet for some stupid reason. Seriously, why haven't Rayearth and Wataru been in yet? They'd make an easy crossover too.
I also want Escaflowne in a SRW game. Probably won't happen. :-/
It was in Compact 3.

Giant Robo is stuck in licensing hell apparently. As in the owners aren't playing ball. And at least Escaflowne got into a SRW. There are 2 hugely popular fantasy mecha anime that haven't been in yet for some stupid reason. Seriously, why haven't Rayearth and Wataru been in yet? They'd make an easy crossover too.

It was in Compact 3.

I know, but want it in a modern game like Bebpo. So strange that it was only ever in a Wonderswan game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Rayearth tho, they only got their mechs really, REALLY late so that's a no-no unless they start the plot there :p

A bunch of Tatsunoko mecha haven't appeared in SRW. So many 70's and 80's mecha in essence.

Bebpo

Banned
Rayearth tho, they only got their mechs really, REALLY late so that's a no-no unless they start the plot there :p

A bunch of Tatsunoko mecha haven't appeared in SRW. So many 70's and 80's mecha in essence.

I could see them do Rayearth In a portable low budget one that just starts their plot at that point. BX showed that they give zero fucks about starting shows in the middle or end on these lower budget games.

Also I thought the whole thing with Tetsujin meant they resolved the licensing issues that also effect Giant Robo so they're free to finally do the whole OAV if they want.

Loona

Haven't a lot of shows been covered under the assumption (most of) their events had already happened in the past, like Daitarn 3?

There's also that one SRW with Keroro Gunso...

Bebpo

Banned
And Demonbane.

What? You play through Demonbane's story in UX...

and it was good! Man, BX was such a disappointment. UX's cast was like 10x more interesting with Demonbane, Rean, 3 Kingdoms SD Gundam, even Heroman had good BGM.

I swear the handheld game entry lists are getting worse and worse (although L was terrible). W & K are the high points of low-budget SRW cast lists for me. W with Gundam Astray, Tekkaman/Orguss, FMP, GGG + Final, Go-Lion, K with GunxSword, Zoids, new Jeeg. I think my favorite SRW BGM ever has been Zoids theme song in K. Helps its a good Do As Infinity Song.

I miss those days. You know, to be perfectly I'm not sure how much I want series in modern SRW with the stiff console animations or the padded boring shit handheld entries. If anything I'd have wanted stuff like Escaflowne during the @3/OGs/Z1 or even Z2 era with those level of sprites and fluidity. SRW never should have gone past that sprite resolution, it's just not worth the animation tradeoff unless you spend a ton of money on a small cast like 2nd OGs.

squall23

What? You play through Demonbane's story in UX...

and it was good! Man, BX was such a disappointment. UX's cast was like 10x more interesting with Demonbane, Rean, 3 Kingdoms SD Gundam, even Heroman had good BGM.

I swear the handheld game entry lists are getting worse and worse (although L was terrible). W & K are the high points of low-budget SRW cast lists for me. W with Gundam Astray, Tekkaman/Orguss, FMP, GGG + Final, Go-Lion, K with GunxSword, Zoids, new Jeeg. I think my favorite SRW BGM ever has been Zoids theme song in K. Helps its a good Do As Infinity Song.

I miss those days. You know, to be perfectly I'm not sure how much I want series in modern SRW with the stiff console animations or the padded boring shit handheld entries. If anything I'd have wanted stuff like Escaflowne during the @3/OGs/Z1 or even Z2 era with those level of sprites and fluidity. SRW never should have gone past that sprite resolution, it's just not worth the animation tradeoff unless you spend a ton of money on a small cast like 2nd OGs.
BX cast list was great though. Yuusha + Eldoran in a game, Galient and Gorg FINALLY get in, SD Knights are awesome, and they did Kio's AGE arc pretty well by getting the best songs and giving Grandpa Genocide a nuke.

The fact they made Kio look up to Jin as a role model even though Jin is younger really shows that they tried to make Kio much less of a douche.

Bebpo

Banned
SD Knights were so much worse than Three Kingdom SD. In Three Kingdom SD at least there were multiple good characters with nice animations when they went super saiyan. In Knight SD, every outside of Knight Gundam pretty much gets the shaft. Galient was ok and Gorg was good. AGE3 was boring, Nadesico was terribly used, everything else was a bore. Game was super long and padded to hell with grunts.

Second worst SRW I've played behind Z3-1 which is the absolute worst.

Pehesse

Just saw this, apparently was posted today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnlu7aiKHfw

Looks to be footage from what I assume is the first stage of Moon Dwellers (japanese version), played out from Calvina's perspective - dunno if that's "the first stage of the game" or if we'll get a choice between Touya and Calvina... or even if it's actually a later stage :-D

Still, a preview's a preview!

Well it says it's the first stage. Maybe they have an intro stage like OGs that the game just jumps into first.

Yes, that is what I meant - or even multiple prologues ala Z2... so I'm not taking a "1" at face value :-D

Bebpo

Banned
Gonna get the DL version of SRW but hmm, PS3 or PS4, lol.

Why wouldn't you get PS4? Remote play means free Vita version too! Not trying to be cocky, just don't see any reason to get PS3 unless you do? Especially when they're the same price.

I have the disc version on pre-order for PS4 next week since I still like my physical copies for console games. Hopefully the load times will be fine and all that.

Shouta

Oh, they're the same price? Then that's a no brainer. Only issue is that my PS4 is on loan to my cousin. I have Zero Time Dilemma next week and that'll take precedence over Moon Dwellers for a bit though.

You can choose between Touya and Calvina at the beginning?

I thought stages were going to be divided between them until the inevitable group up.

It's cool that they're letting us choose this time around.

Bebpo

Banned
Surprisingly hyped for this even though I've been down on SRW for a few years. I think it's just nice getting a SRW with good animations again.

Loona

I'm mostly curious about the bit in the end with Haken and Sanger - it's exclusve to the special edition that includes that Beach Dwellers thing?...

I don't really care about Beach Dwellers, but I wonder if the Haken/Sanger bit is a recreation or expansion of their PXZ meeting... the background looks the same...

I just remembered something that was bothering me before, in that stage 1 demonstration, none of Calvina's attacks have cut-ins which seems weird to me.

Most if not all mechs have a pilot cut-in sequence on some of their attacks, usually their last and maybe a few other stronger attacks but in the demo none of her four attacks that were available have them. From the third PV we can see one during the Absolute animation but compared to Touya who has a few on the attacks they've shown for him so far IIRC.

Might seem to be a weird thing to nitpick but they're a neat visual to add to the animation so the absence of them is notable.

I just remembered something that was bothering me before, in that stage 1 demonstration, none of Calvina's attacks have cut-ins which seems weird to me.
Well she gets a pilot suit later, so maybe they were just too lazy to have any cut-in animation for her in regular clothes.

Or maybe it is just male lead bias. Who knows!

Absol

So, stuff are coming out now. And that updated animation of a certain unit is my god. Tempted to double dip with the JP version since waiting for ENG is going to be painful :(

Razlo

Got Moon Dwellers Asian version ordered and will order any following SRW games that come out in English.

SO EXCITED!

Top Bottom