• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars L, Nintendo DS announced.

Beth Cyra

DAMMMMMNNNNN.

I know I didn't want OG3 but shit this is even worse.

SeeD/Destiny again
Kasier without Dizer
Endless Waltz being reused again from W, how many times are we going to see this?
Rebuild 1.1 only? WTF?
Mac F? I saw enough of that shit in a stream for ACE: R that I don't want to watch to the show, now I am stuck with it in a SRW? Bullshit.

For the love of god, please announce Z2 at TGS.

thetechkid

TruePrime said:
DAMMMMMNNNNN.

I know I didn't want OG3 but shit this is even worse.

SeeD/Destiny again
Kasier without Dizer
Endless Waltz being reused again from W, how many times are we going to see this?
Rebuild 1.1 only? WTF?
Mac F? I saw enough of that shit in a stream for ACE: R that I don't want to watch to the show, now I am stuck with it in a SRW? Bullshit.

For the love of god, please announce Z2 at TGS.

Until a Gundam Series comes along thats better than Seed, Destiny, and 00.

Beth Cyra

thetechkid said:
Until a Gundam Series comes along thats better than Seed, Destiny, and 00.

Really don't see how a series being more popular (won't say better as I think almost all of them are better then SeeD and Destiny) would make it so they actually gave Wing some decent sprites.

Turn A and X are far less popular then S/D yet they did amazing work with them in Z.

TreIII

Game is confirmed to not have Terada involved. So again, he's involved with the PS3 game (OG3?) that is slated to be shown at TGS in a few weeks.

Til then, guess this will be the last of SRW offerings for this year, while the PS3 game will actually be the one that heralds the series' proud induction into HD as well as the 20th anniversary next year.

But in any case....I'll be skipping this particular game just like I have every non-OG Saga game thus far.

Beth Cyra

TreIII said:
Game is confirmed to not have Terada involved. So again, he's involved with the PS3 game (OG3?) that is slated to be shown at TGS in a few weeks.

Til then, guess this will be the last of SRW offerings for this year, while the PS3 game will actually be the one that heralds the series' proud induction into HD as well as the 20th anniversary next year.

But in any case....I'll be skipping this particular game just like I have every non-OG Saga game thus far.

Well it is good he is concentrating on the new stuff.

You don't play any Non-OG stuff? That's cool and everything but you have tried to argue how OG is the right one to bring in the 20 years and you haven't even played the stuff that the series was invented for? Weird.

Either way, TGS can't get here fast enough so I can stop hoping and just see that I won't be purchasing the PS3 game.

Varion

Bebpo said:
It's real?

Fuck :(

First Satoshi Kon, now this. Day keeps getting more and more depressing :(
So last time Famitsu teased an SRPG it was a DS SRW game, and this time it's... a DS SRW game.

Troll me once shame on you, troll me twice shame on me :l Shouldn't have fallen for it again.

Oh well, day never.

Bebpo

Banned
On the plus side, it looks like it includes Eva 2.22 as well.

On the minus side, worst lineup ever. This is the first SRW I'm skipping entirely. After having just played through K last month which did the entire story of new Gaiking, new Jeeg, Goddanner, SEED D; I have absolutely no interest in doing that AGAIN. @_@

This is such a cheap game.

W borrowed from J on GBA somewhat, but it was mainly new sprites and still had a lot of new series and those were awesome like Gaogaigar ep1->end of Final, Tekkaman & Blade, Detonator Organ, Gundam ASTRAY (the best thing to come out of the SEED universe).

K was pretty bad but at least it wasn't rehashing W. It was almost entirely new sprites and stuff like Gun x Sword, new Jeeg, Godanner, Zoids made it enjoyable.

But L is like over 50% sprite rip most likely. And the new series are really hit and miss. Ugh. I would have been fine with another NDS SRW as long as it was not a sprite-rip and had some cool new series like Geass/Gundam OO/Eva rebuild. This is not that!

Beth Cyra

I am let down as well, I have said as much.

Still I am surprised at the day never/no buys though.

I will still get it as the cast isn't terrible, only slightly worse then Z and better then K. That and it will have a new story and everything plus new units so it is already better then High.

Bebpo

Banned
TruePrime said:
I am let down as well, I have said as much.

Still I am surprised at the day never/no buys though.

I will still get it as the cast isn't terrible, only slightly worse then Z and better then K. That and it will have a new story and everything plus new units so it is already better then High.

If I hadn't played K and W I'd get it. But since I have and I've already played all those units and upgraded them and seen their attack animations and played through their stories....that's going to be over half of this new game and it seems like a waste of time to play it.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
If I hadn't played K and W I'd get it. But since I have and I've already played all those units and upgraded them and seen their attack animations and played through their stories....that's going to be over half of this new game and it seems like a waste of time to play it.
Thats all true, but I don't play them for the individual stories, I have their animes for that.

More so Eva 1.1 is a cool new addition and I want I like having Kaiser/Great Mazinger and Gaiking 2000 all in one game.

Plus I skipped out on K for the most part as it had to many units that I just don't like.

Bebpo said:

So they're disappointing fans on both sides of the fence? They don't make ex-hard or skill points for portable titles (besides og1 and 2) for those who like tactical combat, and they're rehashing sprites and storylines.

So who exactly are these games aimed at?

Beth Cyra

mjemirzian said:
So they're disappointing fans on both sides of the fence? They don't make ex-hard or skill points for portable titles (besides og1 and 2) for those who like tactical combat, and they're rehashing sprites and storylines.

So who exactly are these games aimed at?
Woah there, I didn't know about Story reuse, are you talking about each series basic storylines? Because there are elements of that in every SRW with the Anime/Manga series.

Bebpo

Banned
TruePrime said:
Thats all true, but I don't play them for the individual stories, I have their animes for that.

More so Eva 1.1 is a cool new addition and I want I like having Kaiser/Great Mazinger and Gaiking 2000 all in one game.

Plus I skipped out on K for the most part as it had to many units that I just don't like.

Yeah if you skipped K, that makes this more bearable.

TruePrime said:
Woah there, I didn't know about Story reuse, are you talking about each series basic storylines? Because there are elements of that in every SRW with the Anime/Manga series.

Yeah that's true. But usually it's not the series that were just in the last 2 games on the system. It's kind of different with continuous stories like SRW Alpha because they acknowledge the events and have the cast do something else instead of repeating their anime plotline.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
Yeah if you skipped K, that makes this more bearable.

Yeah that's true. But usually it's not the series that were just in the last 2 games on the system. It's kind of different with continuous stories like SRW Alpha because they acknowledge the events and have the cast do something else instead of repeating their anime plotline.

Do we know if this is the final roster?

If so, it really sucks we got no Getter. Though then again it would of probably just been Shin Getter and I am so sick of seeing it that I can't complain to much. I will just miss the main Getter theme as I play.

Ah well, hopefully Dizer and G/Neo/Shin Dragon will show up in the next game.

Yeah but it really makes certain things easier on me. Like we didn't get a story for Kaiser and Shin Getter in W, they really just came out of left field towards the end. So if they work in that story and depending on how early certain series come in it could be a lot better game then W where it was almost SeeD for the first half and then more SeeD/Astray in the second.

Bebpo

Banned
I think W had the Mazinkaiser story. I remember doing the final dynamic special on the ankoku daishogun.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
I think W had the Mazinkaiser story. I remember doing the final dynamic special on the ankoku daishogun.

Eh I don't remember, it has been a long time. I really didn't think it was in there, if so my bad.

Though I don't see why you would say it had it's story because of FDS, I mean it's not like Kaiser was even involved in the real FDS.

TreIII

duckroll said:
Huh? He's listed as a producer along with Ayumi Uta.

Hm, peeps over at SRWG were acting like some one else was actually doing more in the way of overseeing this time...ah well, seeing the full-size is believing.

Any way, again, we got W before we got OGs, right? :lol

Isn't the OG series on the handhelds? Has there been some indication that OG3 will be going to the PS3 if/when it gets made?

Bebpo

Banned
TruePrime said:
You're insane.

It was like the horn letting us know that SRW was going to be flooded by SeeD/extras.

How can anyone hate on:
-Astray
-GAOGAIGAR FINAL
-Tekkaman
-Organ
-FMP
-Nadesico
-VOLTRON
-Mazinkaiser
-Shin Getter

W might've been a joke from gameplay perspective, but who cares the lineup was insaneeeely good for a portable title. I loved it.

Bebpo

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Isn't the OG series on the handhelds? Has there been some indication that OG3 will be going to the PS3 if/when it gets made?

In addition to the above, there was a rumor earlier this year that said:
-SRW OG Lord of Elemental remake on DS
-SRW OG anime
-SRW OG3 on PS3 at TGS

The first two were spot on, so the 3rd is pretty likely. Also if OG3 or Z2 were on anything other than a console, they'd have come out already as it doesn't take a 3 year development cycle to make portable sprites. They're definitely the next big SRW console games for the 2011-2013 timeframe.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
How can anyone hate on:
-Astray
-GAOGAIGAR FINAL
-Tekkaman

-Organ
-FMP
-Nadesico
-VOLTRON
-Mazinkaiser
-Shin Getter

W might've been a joke from gameplay perspective, but who cares the lineup was insaneeeely good for a portable title. I loved it.
Bolded are the only one's I really care about. I am so fucking tired of Shin Getter or anything that looks like some kind of Getter 1 upgrade that I am happy it isn't in L.

That and I don't care about Astray, it is not worth having to deal with Freedom/Justice and there ugly ass meteors.

That said I do think there was one surprise unit. Blue Frame was kinda cool and actually had me wish it wasn't part of SeeD and I actually liked the OG unit.

MechaX

Boney said:
why are we angry?

This is the shittiest SRW lineup this side of Super Robot Wars Neo.

... Okay, this game's line-up isn't nearly as bad as Neo's, but still.

Although, I always wanted to play W because I played a fair amount of J. And then K came out and I wanted to play through that simply because it has Zoids units. Hm.

Enron

Banned
Bebpo said:
Ikusa 1 & 3 (? never heard of it)

If no one has mentioned it before, Iczer. Iczer was mid-80s, and Iczer 3 was the sequel...1990 I think? Something like that.

Yes, I'm old.

Edit: shit, beaten.

Son of Edit: WHAT THE SHIT? DANCOUGAR FUCKING NOVA? christ almighty.

Shouta

Nah, Neo has a novel line-up of units at the very least. This is just recycling shit and adding stuff no one wants to see. Linebarrels and more Ranka-shitting up my screen? Now, i wouldn't mind MacF if they included all the Macross series just for the insanity. Basara's awesomeness would override Ranka's lameness.

Enron

Banned
Shouta said:
Nah, Neo has a novel line-up of units at the very least. This is just recycling shit and adding stuff no one wants to see. Linebarrels and more Ranka-shitting up my screen?

Fuck you! Ranka4eva

And no, Neo is total dogshit.

Shouta said:
Now, i wouldn't mind MacF if they included all the Macross series just for the insanity. Basara's awesomeness would override Ranka's lameness.

They already have that game. Its called Ultimate Frontier!

MechaX said:
This is the shittiest SRW lineup this side of Super Robot Wars Neo.

... Okay, this game's line-up isn't nearly as bad as Neo's, but still.

Although, I always wanted to play W because I played a fair amount of J. And then K came out and I wanted to play through that simply because it has Zoids units. Hm.

It's not a shitty line up, the problem is it's mostly all rehash from the previous game.

Enron

Banned
Like I said in another place far away from here

[23:14] <+Enron|Roth_sux0r> LINEBARRELS
[23:14] <+Enron|Roth_sux0r> DANCOUGAR NOVA
[23:14] <+Enron|Roth_sux0r> WHAT THE FUCK
[23:14] <+Enron|Roth_sux0r> all it is missing is goddamned Fafner and Bokurano

I weep for poor Voltes and Comby, having to deal with such indignity in their advanced age. :/

Bebpo said:
W might've been a joke from gameplay perspective.
uh what? W is a great SRW game. story, tons of dynamic kills, great roster, good original, solid traditional gameplay. it even lets you set the number of enemy upgrades on your subsequent plays. too easy? slap 5-10 levels on. want to hurt yourself, give them all 20. the replay value is much better than Z, where you have to go through 15 levels before the real game begins. dunno what's up with gaf when W is well-received everywhere else.

i just hope the international robots from Godanner are added this time, major disappointment in K. even better if Banpresto announces SRW PS3 at TGS so i can save my cash.

Shouta

Enron said:
Fuck you! Ranka4eva

They already have that game. Its called Ultimate Frontier!

NOU! Stupid Green moeblob of blustering idiocy! She ruins everything. Mylene needs to show her how it's done!

Beth Cyra

Shouta said:
NOU! Stupid Green moeblob of blustering idiocy! She ruins everything. Mylene needs to show her how it's done!
This makes me wonder.

Outside of Eva 1.1 this seems like it would be the "Big" score for the new units. Is this shit popular even in Japan or do they even want to look the other way when it comes up?

Archon

Wow, this is...unwanted. Like it has already been said a dozen times over, this is too much like K's line up which I had a hard time getting into. Sad. And to think I was really, REALLY hoping we'd get either OG3 or Z2 or...something. But not this... I might get it just for Iczer 1 if I'm desperate.

Other thoughts:

W was fantastic for some of the great units and variety it tossed into the mix. Also, half of the GaoGaiGar animations were (IMHO) better then the Alpha 3 animations. The storylines merged in some fun ways as well.

Having never played NEO (yet...) I give it kudos for including NG Knight Lamune & 40 and Lord of Lords Ryu Knight--2 shows I loved back in the day. Still the system looked like it might put me off. Also, too lazy to 'mod' my Wii for playing of foreign games.

The speed at which we are getting any sequels to the existing 'series' (Z or OG) makes me think I'll never experience the joy I got from playing SRWa3 again. That feeling of having followed these characters from the beginning to this ultimate final end. But maybe we'll get something more significant at TGS; I won't hold my breath.

Enron said:
i'd say it was 90% shit. the dynamic deployment was amazing, and should be in every SRW from now on. for the first time the mothership's position was actually important. i also liked the range assist system instead of the "glue every unit beside each other" assist. it almost felt like a real strategy game at times.

Bebpo

Banned
durrrrrrrrrr said:
uh what? W is a great SRW game. story, tons of dynamic kills, great roster, good original, solid traditional gameplay. it even lets you set the number of enemy upgrades on your subsequent plays. too easy? slap 5-10 levels on. want to hurt yourself, give them all 20. the replay value is much better than Z, where you have to go through 15 levels before the real game begins. dunno what's up with gaf when W is well-received everywhere else.

No, don't get me wrong. I love W. I just meant the difficulty because everyone likes to talk trash on W because it's incredibly easy (which doesn't realllly bother me that much; I play SRW for the story/animations).

Beth Cyra

Archon said:
Wow, this is...unwanted. Like it has already been said a dozen times over, this is too much like K's line up which I had a hard time getting into. Sad. And to think I was really, REALLY hoping we'd get either OG3 or Z2 or...something. But not this... I might get it just for Iczer 1 if I'm desperate.

Other thoughts:

W was fantastic for some of the great units and variety it tossed into the mix. Also, half of the GaoGaiGar animations were (IMHO) better then the Alpha 3 animations. The storylines merged in some fun ways as well.

Having never played NEO (yet...) I give it kudos for including NG Knight Lamune & 40 and Lord of Lords Ryu Knight--2 shows I loved back in the day. Still the system looked like it might put me off. Also, too lazy to 'mod' my Wii for playing of foreign games.

The speed at which we are getting any sequels to the existing 'series' (Z or OG) makes me think I'll never experience the joy I got from playing SRWa3 again. That feeling of having followed these characters from the beginning to this ultimate final end. But maybe we'll get something more significant at TGS; I won't hold my breath.

Can't really argue with anything except this.

If anything, I would say it is a mix of a few W series with K series plus a few new ones.

Bebpo said:
In addition to the above, there was a rumor earlier this year that said:
-SRW OG Lord of Elemental remake on DS
-SRW OG anime
-SRW OG3 on PS3 at TGS

The first two were spot on, so the 3rd is pretty likely. Also if OG3 or Z2 were on anything other than a console, they'd have come out already as it doesn't take a 3 year development cycle to make portable sprites. They're definitely the next big SRW console games for the 2011-2013 timeframe.

As long as an HD SRW is announced at TGS, everything will be ok.

Bebpo

Banned
Also when I googled Iczer to see what the mecha looked like, the first pictures I got were tentacle rape :(

MechaX

Bebpo said:
Also when I googled Iczer to see what the mecha looked like, the first pictures I got were tentacle rape :(

Wait, does this have anything to do with Iczelion? I remember ADV always used to advertise that shit on Evangelion VHS tapes. Looked like... uh... girls who get naked and put on robot gear every now and then.

Archon

TruePrime said:
If anything, I would say it is a mix of a few W series with K series plus a few new ones.

Yeah, I guess you're right, my rose colored glasses for W are kicking in.

It just feels so...uninspired. Heck, I'd love to see Eva Rebuild (if they are oging to use Eva again) and MacF (I'd prefer it buddied with Mac7) but I'm just not feeling anything for it at all. Even when Iczer 1, one of my first unfiltered anime, is appearing. WHY?!?!?!

Top Bottom