• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars L, Nintendo DS announced.

MechaX said:
Wait, does this have anything to do with Iczelion? I remember ADV always used to advertise that shit on Evangelion VHS tapes. Looked like... uh... girls who get naked and put on robot gear every now and then.

Same series.

Enron

Banned
MechaX said:
Wait, does this have anything to do with Iczelion? I remember ADV always used to advertise that shit on Evangelion VHS tapes. Looked like... uh... girls who get naked and put on robot gear every now and then.

Sort....of. Like an alternate universe sort-of-deal. From what I remember, it was garbage. Iczer 1 much better.

7Th

Bebpo said:
Also when I googled Iczer to see what the mecha looked like, the first pictures I got were tentacle rape :(

Yep, you got the right Iczer-1.

vy5anb.jpg

Beth Cyra

After seeing that, I am suddenly not to up on defending this or picking it up come November.

Seriously, and people bitch at me for wanting KnM to be brought in yet they have this shit getting in.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Wait... what is Eva Rebuilt? There's a new eva? or just a remake? I gave up following Eva so many years ago when they purposely making everything so... so FF7 confusing...

kiunchbb said:
Wait... what is Eva Rebuilt? There's a new eva? or just a remake? I gave up following Eva so many years ago when they purposely making everything so... so FF7 confusing...

Movies of the Eva with a slightly different continuity. Shinji is less of a spineless wuss, Gendo is making token attempts to reconnect with his son, Asuka is more sociable, Rei is... um, in love with Shinji.

Basically how Eva would have been if the creator hadn't been suffering from depression at the time, I guess.

Beth Cyra

kiunchbb said:

What? FF VII isn't the best written thing in existence but nothing in it is as bad as episode 25/26 in Eva or End of Eva/Death and Rebirth.

Wooo another Portable SRW so I don't have to do any crazy console stuff for importing.

Looking at the article, Mazinkaizer and Wing Zero seem to have actually gotten new some Sprites. At the very least improved animation. Really, even if they reuse sprites in SRWs they always improve the animation.

W was fantastic and K was good. So let's see how L goes.

...though I am mildly surprised that the Eva movies debuted in a DS one. I was expecting to see it in the next major console release.

Beth Cyra

PataHikari said:
Wooo another Portable SRW so I don't have to do any crazy console stuff for importing.

Looking at the article, Mazinkaizer and Wing Zero seem to have actually gotten new some Sprites. At the very least improved animation. Really, even if they reuse sprites in SRWs they always improve the animation.

W was fantastic and K was good. So let's see how L goes.

...though I am mildly surprised that the Eva movies debuted in a DS one. I was expecting to see it in the next major console release.

I haven't seen the listing, but Kaiser and Zero getting new sprites/animations is a pretty big deal to me. I wonder how many other units got upgrades from their W/K roles.

Katbot

I suspect that we're due for one more major SRW announcement at TGS (Terada did promise three games, though ACE R may count as one of them). We'll see though.

I'll get SRW L with the hope that it'll have better music and a better combat system this time around. K was decent, but still pretty disappointing.

MechaX

PataHikari said:

The EVA movies have a good chance of appearing in its entirety once the next two movies come along. For now, I guess a major console game is pretty far off still.

Xater

BTW guys this game is real. I just saw the Famitsu scans.

Release seems to be November 25th and it will cost a whoping 6090 Yen.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, the one thing that would make L worthwhile despite all the rehash is if they recorded battle voices for everyone. These DS SRWs are tiny sprite games that don't even use up a quarter of the carts. There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't fit voices other than being cheap on budget.

MechaX said:
The EVA movies have a good chance of appearing in its entirety once the next two movies come along. For now, I guess a major console game is pretty far off still.

They'll probably be in Z (movie 1 & 2).

Major franchises I had assumed would debut in Z2:
-Gundam OO (almost 100% sure OO is being saved specifically for Z2)
-Gurren Lagann
-Code Geass
-Macross F
-Eva 1.11 and maybe 2.22

So yeah I'm kind of surprised the last 2 are debuting in L. But I'm still fairly certain both will be in Z2. There's no problem with doing half of the Eva movie storyline, because if it's like the Alpha series there will be a Z3 and maybe even a Z4 Final. So they can just continue the Eva movie plotline as the films come out and the games get made. A few series in Alpha were not finished when it came out and ran across the titles.

Anyhow if Z2 has those entries with a few low-key newer surprises (Xam'd? Very debatable as to if it's mecha enough for SRW, but possible) and a few older surprises (Giant Robo has never been completed in SRW form because it was only partially done when @1 came out and didn't come back in @2/3; plus it would fit very well with Big O) then it should be a really cool lineup. I wouldn't mind if they put Gun x Sword or Godanner in as well so they could get nice console sprites.

Beth Cyra

Eh saw a couple shots, nothing all that great.

They at least got Zero's buster rifle to be black instead of white which is nice since it bothered me during W.

Outside of that nothing really stood out, do hope the new animations/sprite thing for Zero and Kaiser prove true, I couldn't really tell from the pics, in fact they looked the same outside of the black Buster Rifle.

MechaX

Bebpo said:
They'll probably be in Z (movie 1 & 2).

-Gurren Lagann
-Code Geass
-Macross F
-Eva 1.11 and maybe 2.22

So yeah I'm kind of surprised the last 2 are debuting in L. But I'm still fairly certain both will be in Z2. There's no problem with doing half of the Eva movie storyline, because if it's like the Alpha series there will be a Z3 and maybe even a Z4 Final. So they can just continue the Eva movie plotline as the films come out and the games get made. A few series in Alpha were not finished when it came out and ran across the titles.

I'm actually pretty surprised that they just didn't do 00 in any lesser installment while Season 1 was still around and then save the full Season 1 & 2 for the big guns. I mean, it can't be any worse than reusing SeeD. I mean, it was Seed in @3, W (Although, that was Astray wasn't it?), Stargazer for K, and Seed D in its entirety in Z, and now Seed and Seed D again?

Also, while Gurren Lagann would be crazy insane, I have to wonder about all those rumors floating around on the web concerning a "feud" between Banpresto and Konami (which I guess has some stake in Gurren Lagann). Eh, probably nothing substantial if they have the money, like what I'm guessing was the case for EVA.

Acosta said:
Gaf is loosing the good manners, two pages and I don't see Ranka's gif, I'm disappointed.

Coming from some one who stupidly watched the entirety of Macross Frontier... No more Ranka... NO MORE.

Beth Cyra

MechaX said:
I'm actually pretty surprised that they just didn't do 00 in any lesser installment while Season 1 was still around and then save the full Season 1 & 2 for the big guns. I mean, it can't be any worse than reusing SeeD. I mean, it was Seed in @3, W (Although, that was Astray wasn't it?), Stargazer for K, and Seed D in its entirety in Z, and now Seed and Seed D again?

Also, while Gurren Lagann would be crazy insane, I have to wonder about all those rumors floating around on the web concerning a "feud" between Banpresto and Konami (which I guess has some stake in Gurren Lagann). Eh, probably nothing substantial if they have the money, like what I'm guessing was the case for EVA.

Coming from some one who stupidly watched the entirety of Macross Frontier... No more Ranka... NO MORE.

SeeD had a role in pretty much every Banpresto Product that isn't OG for a long time now.

The only real exceptions being ACE 1 and 2, oh and PSP ports.

Bebpo

Banned
Looks ok.

We need to get to 3DS ASAP and force them to get past these DS/GBA animations, crappy backgrounds, and lack of voices.

Bebpo said:
Looks ok.

We need to get to 3DS ASAP and force them to get past these DS/GBA animations, crappy backgrounds, and lack of voices.

I really don't see why the voices are a big issue. But I would like better music quality.

Beth Cyra

Pureauthor said:
I really don't see why the voices are a big issue. But I would like better music quality.
I can't agre with this.

Seriously the shit isn't a real Getter Beam or Change Dragon/Getter with Ryoma screaming it out.

Bebpo

Banned
Pureauthor said:

The whole point of Super Robots attacks is the way they yell out the moves.

Plus a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge part of the fanservice in SRW is actually hearing the voices of all these famous anime characters deliver their lines. Especially older characters from the 70s/80s with their seiyuu coming back and doing the voice again.

7Th

Bebpo said:
-Gurren Lagann
-Code Geass
-Macross F
-Eva 1.11 and maybe 2.22

No Diebuster?

Beth Cyra

Just watched the trailer, seemed okay maybe even a few extra animations, didn't remember the Zero one so who knows.

I got agree with Bebpo, we need to move past this shit in a bad way, they are starting to look Jank as hell.

Though I did chuckle sadly at how Wing was one of the few Snubbed at the roll call at the end while both SeeD and Destiny got extra shots.

Probably and going to drop the franchise after Z2 anyway so eh.

The portable entries are looking more and more like sad cash-ins with very little in the way of creative design or combat. I don't suppose it would hurt them to try something new once in a while.

Beth Cyra

Can't speak for K as I didn't play it but W wasn't like that at all.

Neither where the GBA entries from what I can tell, certainly not A Portable Remake on PSP.

Just seems like it is lately between K, Gauken, and L where they aren't doing alot.

That and they may have some good gameplay systems in place, just the Sprite and Speach boxes are reused so it looks alot worse then it could end up being.

As it stands it does have two major additions for SRW and that shouldn't be ignored, or at least that is what I would like to say anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
7Th said:
No Diebuster?

Maybe that too :)

I actually think they'll do a deal with Gainax and make the next one Gainax heavy with the main focus on Gurren Lagann and then Eva + Diebuster as well. Though I wonder if they do Diebuster if they'll do Gunbuster again even thought it was just in Alpha 1 & 3. Would be crazy to have Gunbuster/Diebuster/Eva/Gurren all in one game together.

Maybe even throw in FLCL ;P

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Looks ok.

I don't see what the lack of voices have anything to do with the DS itself. :p

7Th

Bebpo said:
Maybe that too :)

I actually think they'll do a deal with Gainax and make the next one Gainax heavy with the main focus on Gurren Lagann and then Eva + Diebuster as well. Though I wonder if they do Diebuster if they'll do Gunbuster again even thought it was just in Alpha 1 & 3. Would be crazy to have Gunbuster/Diebuster/Eva/Gurren all in one game together.

Maybe even throw in FLCL ;P

I would be sure to buy at least three copies of that.

Bebpo

Banned
The main thing that bugged me in the trailer was seeing Shinn's stupid triple take of RAGE during his major attack. That was the dumbest cut-in ever in K and now it's back and left unchanged :(

duckroll said:
I don't see what the lack of voices have anything to do with the DS itself. :p

A Portable was a budget project and it still had full voice. Since 3DS will be on the same level as PSP, they have no excuse for no voice.

Beth Cyra

PataHikari said:
I'm amazed that people can call these bad looking without a trace of irony.

How so? The backgrounds are bland and terrible and then you compare any unit that is in this game to one that is in Z or even Alpha 3 and yeah I don't think they hold up nearly as well.

Bebpo said:
The main thing that bugged me in the trailer was seeing Shinn's stupid triple take of RAGE during his major attack. That was the dumbest cut-in ever in K and now it's back and left unchanged :(

No, far dumber is the serene smile he has on his face in the mugshot throughout all that.

How so? The backgrounds are bland and terrible and then you compare any unit that is in this game to one that is in Z or even Alpha 3 and yeah I don't think they hold up nearly as well.

You know, I think holding up a DS game alongside a PS2 game in terms of visuals isn't the best of ideas.

Beth Cyra

Pureauthor said:
No, far dumber is the serene smile he has on his face in the mugshot throughout all that.

You know, I think holding up a DS game alongside a PS2 game in terms of visuals isn't the best of ideas.

Maybe not but it stands out when you go from one game to another.

Edit: To be fair I probably being overly critical on the graphics, fact is SRW when they have a cast that I enjoy is probably my favorite franchise and the lack of voices among other things lead me to be a bit harder on the DS entries then one really should be.

Bebpo

Banned
If OG3 was going to be announced at TGS, about what time would we find this out? Does Banpresto have a SRW event?

...starting to wonder if no console SRW is gonna be at TGS. It's the announcement I'm looking forward to the most :\

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
If OG3 was going to be announced at TGS, about what time would we find this out? Does Banpresto have a SRW event?

...starting to wonder if no console SRW is gonna be at TGS. It's the announcement I'm looking forward to the most :\

With VC 3 going to PSP, hasn't the big PS3 exlusive to be announced shifted to OG3 (or the off chance it is a Z2) by now?

Top Bottom