• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

Bebpo

Banned
Only of reprises, remixes and covers.

Would the chiptune-ish version of the pop songs count as a remix/cover? I just want Daybreak's Bell for Setsuna (my 2nd favorite OO song, but sadly we never got The Brilliant Green's Ash Like Snow in any of the SRW games ;_; and Kanjite Knight which I think's the better Shin Mazinger Z song.

If I new the in-game BGM would be this limited, I would've shelled out for the premium edition :| I wish there was a way to "upgrade" to premium sound edition by paying the difference and getting all the songs. I'd feel like a sucker if I ended up rebuying the game premium edition after spending $80+ on the regular edition.

Probably makes more sense to get the songs and then load them in through custom. I can probably buy them off JPN itunes for like $1-2 each for the ones I want.

Although personally I don't like vocal tracks in SRW's outside major climax fights like the 2nd OGs final bosses. Sticks out too much in normal battles and I prefer the chiptune-ish bgms.

Shouta

Just finished. That last stage was a bit of a jump in difficulty compared to the rest of the game but easy overall.

Pretty enjoyable title overall. It could have been a bit harder but it felt like it was similar to the DS/3DS titles in concept and focus. They're titles that are a breeze to play and generally just kind of show off the series in them.

Of the changes in the game, I really liked TacP and the additional parts they added to the game. They included a lot of the ones we had in Z3 but added a few more which is a pretty welcome thing. TacP was really nice because you didn't need to go out of your to get certain pilots the points to give them proper skills. In some respects, that makes the game a little easier to play but it lets the player play how they want more readily. Only problems I had with those two points is that I actually kind of like having a limited number of skills a unit can learn. No limit meant you can just fill one with everything like in the handheld versions. With parts, the only choice for a unit's full custom bonus was the extra parts slot because of how powerful some of the new ones were.

Might Gaine was definitely the winner in the animation department in this game. Lots of improvements all across the board but man Might Gaine is just on another level. I wasn't expecting them to put that much work into it but as a Yuusha/Brave series fan, it's very much welcome.

Original unit was good and the upgrade I picked was nice. The animation was solid but the attacks themselves were pretty bland for the upgrade. I'm hearing nice things about the other upgrade you can pick so I'm looking forward to that. Souji is a pretty chill character, kinda like Crowe but less reliant on certain gags. Nine is kind of the main character honestly and she does a pretty good job in the role.

I'm looking forward to future SRW games if they can keep refining the methods they use for animation in this.

Bebpo

Banned
I tried the custom music option but it wasn't seeing my USB? Unless I was too drunk on Kolin hype.

I know the USB flash drive works because I was using it in SFV just a few minutes before.

Ok, I'm having the same problem. It says "Which USB storage device do you want to use? and it's blank with no choices. But the PS4 sees the USB stick I have in with an mp3 in the root directory.

-_-

Ok, I'm having the same problem. It says "Which USB storage device do you want to use? and it's blank with no choices. But the PS4 sees the USB stick I have in with an mp3 in the root directory.

-_-

I recall they mentioned putting it in a folder called SRWMUSIC first

Bebpo

Banned
I recall they mentioned putting it in a folder called SRWMUSIC first

Yep that fixed it.

Then on the track selection hit square button and pick the song to replace that BGM temporarily. Got my Ash like Snow main song for the 00 Units outside of Transam attacks now.

Absol

Slowly progressing through the game.

How many people does the Yamato need for accounting? And they keep putting more people in that division lol

Would the chiptune-ish version of the pop songs count as a remix/cover? I just want Daybreak's Bell for Setsuna (my 2nd favorite OO song, but sadly we never got The Brilliant Green's Ash Like Snow in any of the SRW games ;_; and Kanjite Knight which I think's the better Shin Mazinger Z song.

If I new the in-game BGM would be this limited, I would've shelled out for the premium edition :| I wish there was a way to "upgrade" to premium sound edition by paying the difference and getting all the songs. I'd feel like a sucker if I ended up rebuying the game premium edition after spending $80+ on the regular edition.

Probably makes more sense to get the songs and then load them in through custom. I can probably buy them off JPN itunes for like $1-2 each for the ones I want.

Although personally I don't like vocal tracks in SRW's outside major climax fights like the 2nd OGs final bosses. Sticks out too much in normal battles and I prefer the chiptune-ish bgms.

I believe the series generally goes for the most recent entry in a series. In 00's case that would be the movie. Custom music is your best bet.

Most of thebgames I have use Endleds Waltz for example. Was so suprised when Z2 has regular Gundam Wing. Makes sense though since it focused on 00 and Wing has some similarities.

Bebpo

Banned
I believe the series generally goes for the most recent entry in a series. In 00's case that would be the movie. Custom music is your best bet.

Most of thebgames I have use Endleds Waltz for example. Was so suprised when Z2 has regular Gundam Wing. Makes sense though since it focused on 00 and Wing has some similarities.

Yeah, that's typical for SRW since it's the 00 Movie to only have the boring 00 movie BGMs. But then the premium edition has S1 and S2 Ops, which was a little surprising.

Slowly progressing through the game.

How many people does the Yamato need for accounting? And they keep putting more people in that division lol
It's like how Akito was a cook on Nadesico because these people need something to do when they are not smashing giant robots to bits. But aren't actually qualified for any sort of vital task.

lupinko

It's usually of older series only, so series from the 70s to at least maybe the 90s.

Thanks for the SRWMUSIC folder thingy to said poster, I'll fix it.

Bebpo

Banned
Btw, I'm about 10-13 stages counting bonus scenarios, and I really like this game a lot. It already feels like the best licensed SRW since Z2-2 (so in a decade?), the OG games otoh have been fine with 2nd OGs & MDs (we don't talk about Dark Prism though).

V so far just feels like the 100% opposite of Z3 which at this point with some distance I can safely say I despised it and it was the worst SRW I've ever played and almost lost me on the series. Z3 just wasn't a fun game. V on the other hand is fast and fun. The systems are broken and fun so you steamroll everything at a quick pacing. The story telling is great and since it's not 2 games it moves quick and there's very little filler. The OG character, at least with the guy is fun. He's basically a worse Crowe, but Crowe was the best so I'm ok with a 2nd rate Crowe.

But yeah, it helps that Yamato is a great anime, and making it the core of the story and staying faithful was really smart. Lots of fantastic BGMs straight out of the anime and it makes the VN parts very good. Having other fun series like Crossbone and Mightgain is great. Even Setsuna seems way less serious here and more fun.

everything seems less serious here and more fun (cue the end of the world earth is destroyed uber depressing Yamato main storyline jokes; but I mean besides that :p). Instead of Z3-2's slog slog slog OG storytelling, there's not much OG so far and it's just a fun licensed anime game. It reminds me the most of SRW W which is possibly my favorite SRW of all time. I wish V had Astray in it. Would make it even more fun.

For what it's worth I can see anyone who plays SRW for the gameplay and wants to be challenged disliking the game. It's the easiest SRW I've ever played so far and it's broken in so many ways. I.do.not.give.a.shit. I play SRW to enjoy the visual novel storytelling + awesome animations and feel badass using my characters & their mechs to steamroll grunts and then take out bosses. I'm fine leaving the challenge to OGs. Some of the Z3 restrictions for the sake of balance just made the game way less fun to play.

And thank god they got rid of the long ass pause at the start of every animation that they couldn't fix by the time Z3-2 came out. As someone who leaves most animations on, that really dragged.

Also all the new animations so far are generally great and dynamic and lots of fun with nice sprites. The legacy stuff is still same old, same issues, but I'm fine with the legacy stuff just being the @2 units in @3 thrown in so you get a bigger cast. I'm really happy with all the new stuff which is what the story focus is on anyhow. I hope this is the middleground they stick with for the rest of SRW's life. Not too sharp detailed sprites, but still very good big sprites with actual good dynamic animation.

Finally, my thoughts on the next licensed game after seeing the sales and what they've done with V. They're on the right track and winning me back as a SRW fan with V, so here's what I think they need to do for the next entry (and I'm sure they'll do the complete opposite because Namco/Bandai calls the shots and they suck grumblegrumble Scamco):

The next licensed console SRW should be a refresh, start of a new trilogy like SRW 1-F, @1-3, Z1-Z3. Because of that it should be 100% entirely new sprites for everything. However, it's clear they don't have the budget for 20 series with good sprites if the games are opening with <200k. That's why they would split the Z games to get closer to 400k opening sales. But splitting kills the pacing. It worked ok in Z2 because it made sense with Gundam 00 S1, Geass S1, Gurren Earth Arc (although they fucked it up by not doing space arc in Z2-2), Gundam Wing TV -> EW. But generally splitting just kills the pacing and drags out the games with tons of padding and not getting unit upgrades at a good pace or even within a single game.

So what's the best solution to this? I think the next licensed SRW should scale back. Have 10 or 11 entries total with all new sprites on the level of the new series in V done in a single non-split game. Then when they do the X2 or whatever sequel, they add another 10-11 entries and now they're at 20-22 series but the sprites they're re-using from X1 or whatever are great and good to use. To me it makes the most sense with the budget they have to make a good satisfying game. Unfortunately it means NamcoBandai can't market it as having a million series included MOST EVER, etc..., but fuck 'em that doesn't help. Do 10-11 series total and for at least half of them do new entry shows in the last few years that are major players. There's still a ton of mecha anime missing from the last 5-7 years in SRW like G Reco, Break Blade, Build Fighters, Valvrave, Aldnoah, Knights of Sidonia, etc.... plus the new stuff like Gundam Tekketsu & Thunderbolt. And Star Driver would be nice to get a non-mobile entry same day please...; put in at least like half of those with V quality animation and you've got an exciting new licensed entry even with a small roster and build from it. That's my two cents for the direction licensed SRW should go.

Then again if V sells a ton in Asia and brings the total sales up and they have budget to do 15-16 series with 100% new animation next game and non-splitting, more power to them. I'm just giving the realistic 'safe' direction they could and should go imo.

Shit, another mistranslation on stage 40 SR requirement. Wasted 30 min for nothing....

At this point, my top 3 mechs are

1. Mazinger Zero: It's freaking Mazinger Zero, nuff said. Hit hardest, tough like a tank, great ACE ability.

2. Black Serena: Hit really hard. The strongest weapon has "Barrier Buster". Akito himself has great ACE ability, Soul seishin and very high skill. Up his skill point and give him Attacker + Attack Again and sit back while he wipes the whole map.

3. XB X-1 Full Cloth: Has very high CRT thanks to the upgrade bonus. Give it some +CRT parts and Instinct to Tobia and it will crit every time it lands a hit. Abuse skill+Attack Again for greater damage.

AALLx

Just finished. That last stage was a bit of a jump in difficulty compared to the rest of the game but easy overall.

Pretty enjoyable title overall. It could have been a bit harder but it felt like it was similar to the DS/3DS titles in concept and focus. They're titles that are a breeze to play and generally just kind of show off the series in them.

Of the changes in the game, I really liked TacP and the additional parts they added to the game. They included a lot of the ones we had in Z3 but added a few more which is a pretty welcome thing. TacP was really nice because you didn't need to go out of your to get certain pilots the points to give them proper skills. In some respects, that makes the game a little easier to play but it lets the player play how they want more readily. Only problems I had with those two points is that I actually kind of like having a limited number of skills a unit can learn. No limit meant you can just fill one with everything like in the handheld versions. With parts, the only choice for a unit's full custom bonus was the extra parts slot because of how powerful some of the new ones were.

Might Gaine was definitely the winner in the animation department in this game. Lots of improvements all across the board but man Might Gaine is just on another level. I wasn't expecting them to put that much work into it but as a Yuusha/Brave series fan, it's very much welcome.

Original unit was good and the upgrade I picked was nice. The animation was solid but the attacks themselves were pretty bland for the upgrade. I'm hearing nice things about the other upgrade you can pick so I'm looking forward to that. Souji is a pretty chill character, kinda like Crowe but less reliant on certain gags. Nine is kind of the main character honestly and she does a pretty good job in the role.

I'm looking forward to future SRW games if they can keep refining the methods they use for animation in this.

Yup, too many skill slots is breaking the game for me. While it feels nice to be able to mostly customize your pilot, it also makes it too easy to break. Agree with the Custom Bonus being a parts slot as well. All of the other bonuses can easily be compensated with a more powerful Power Part, which can be easily bought.

Question regarding the MC mech switch: do the custom upgrades carry over to the newer mech?

Lastly... should I watch Cross Ange?

Shouta

Upgrades carry over to the new mech.

I think my Aces ended up being Souji/MC, Maito from Might Gaine, and uh I can't remember my 3rd, lol. I just know I had like 270+ kills with the MC because I used them to farm up TacP a lot thanks to having 4 parts slots on the mech, lol.

Leezard

My aces as of endgame is Soji, Maito and Ryoma. Particularly Ryoma. At the start of a map Benkei will use Drive (+30 focus) and it's enough to just kill anything. Accel helps too. I wanted to use Koji and Tetsuya more but it hurts a lot when they don't have access to Accel.

Verelios

Lastly... should I watch Cross Ange?
Let me put it this way: watch the first 4 episodes and see how large your tolerance is. It escalates by measures of 10 every arc. I packed out at episode 20 and have no intention of ever going back.

hiten

Neo Member
3. XB X-1 Full Cloth: Has very high CRT thanks to the upgrade bonus. Give it some +CRT parts and Instinct to Tobia and it will crit every time it lands a hit. Abuse skill+Attack Again for greater damage.

I'm new to SRW but I'm kinda curious, how did they decide to include a series which has never been adapted to anime yet? I never thought that a manga could be adapted to video games first before anime. Unless I'm wrong, Gundam Crossbone has never been adapted to anime right?

masterdragoon20

Neo Member
Does someone know if i can buy in japan the Asían version in english? I'm going next week there so i would like to get the english version

Shouta

I'm new to SRW but I'm kinda curious, how did they decide to include a series which has never been adapted to anime yet? I never thought that a manga could be adapted to video games first before anime. Unless I'm wrong, Gundam Crossbone has never been adapted to anime right?

Just depends on the creatives working on the project. It's pretty common to do manga versions of stuff, do novel versions, or even create their own content for series. Crossbone has never been adapted into an anime but it shows up in games all the time.

Does someone know if i can buy in japan the Asían version in english? I'm going next week there so i would like to get the english version

I don't think you'll find the Asian version at regular stores in Japan. It'd have to be very specific ones if you're lucky.

Just depends on the creatives working on the project. It's pretty common to do manga versions of stuff, do novel versions, or even create their own content for series. Crossbone has never been adapted into an anime but it shows up in games all the time.

I don't think you'll find the Asian version at regular stores in Japan. It'd have to be very specific ones if you're lucky.

Not to mention Sentinel, which will never be adapted

Shouta

Yeah, I don't know why it took so long to get Yuusou into SRW, I don't remember it in any other game...

Just finished the game. It's easy all the way through. Final boss has much lower HP compared to those in previous games and its abilities are pretty weak.

Finally got my copy in yesterday, and I've started playing a bit (although with Zelda out, I've got so much on my plate already).

It's fun so far (completed the first few battles), and I'm really enjoying seeing how they integrate everything into a coherent timeline. It's nice to finally be playing one of these games.

So apparently SRW V has a lot of secrets...

Can anyone tell me where I can find more details? It's murky and I'm not one to replay SRW games. I would like to get the true/best ending at one-run if possible.

When you guys say you finished, did you play the normal route or secret route?

Normal route. My first play-through is usually blind and I look up for secret stuffs on the second round.

So apparently SRW V has a lot of secrets...

Can anyone tell me where I can find more details? It's murky and I'm not one to replay SRW games. I would like to get the true/best ending at one-run if possible.

The most complete wiki is in Japanese but you can easily decipher them through Google translation.

http://ds-can.com/srw_v/

Absol

How do this thing work?
Does it automatically refill your EN every round? Are there any special requirement?

Yep. As long as the Nadesico is around you get a free EN refill every turn. Good thing this time is that the Nadesico doesn't have a range limit for it to work. So just put it on your favorite EN hungry unit and spam

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just started this over the weekend, up to scenario 12 atm.

What the flying fuck happened to the Gundam 00 character portraits? It's like I'm really potato here.

everyone in the game got hit with the "staring straight at the camera" off model look. And don't even think about looking at Ruri's mouth being animated during the cut because some things should better be left unseen.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god even Tessa got hit with it. Did they lose the license to all the portraits from z3 or something?

Edit - though they seem to be reusing plenty of cut-ins for battle animations

Apparently there's a limit as to how much one can earn in a single battle

17127012_624993471033968_2262511840078594048_n.jpg

Kysuke

what is this premium anime version? is it just new tracks with vocals? I cant find any of the opening music instrumentals anywhere...

EDIT: Also if i max out Crossbone will the new one come maxed out? he doesnt seem to be in the list of upgrade carryovers.

what is this premium anime version? is it just new tracks with vocals? I cant find any of the opening music instrumentals anywhere...

EDIT: Also if i max out Crossbone will the new one come maxed out? he doesnt seem to be in the list of upgrade carryovers.

It's weird. Tobia's X-1 upgrades transfer to Full Cloth.
Kincaide's F91 upgrades transfer to X-1 once Tobia gets Full Cloth. This means (in my case), the X-1 LOST upgrades.

It makes no sense.

squall23

It's just a version of the game with the addition of vocal songs, which you can of course do yourself.

Top Bottom